PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Bunbury, WA

South West Home Maintenance
12-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey guys would just like to say hello and get some advice as im just starting out.

Through lots of studying of deans book, reading peoples experiences here and asking a few lawnies i've been able to get a lot of what i need to know already, i have pricing structure and such and am raring to go personally but i need to know what spares i should have with me everyday, what whippy line i should have, hand tools etc, etc.

KK to start out im a 26yo single father who having grown up on a farm loves working outdoors but since having a major accident a couple of years back am only just getting back to work now and im looking to do this part time/build into fulltime as my fitness and overall health continues to improve. Although having worked and grown up on a farm i am very green in the world of mechanics and while i can change the oil, plugs etc in gear if it gets much more than that im out of my depth at the moment so im sure it will be a learning experience too.

As far as gear is concerned this is what i have so far to start out
a Nissan Navara Dual Cab ute
a 7x5 caged trailer with ramps
a honda hru216 sp rotary mower
a honda umk435u brushcutter
a atom lawn edger powered by a honda gx35
a talon backpack blower (i know not the greatest brand but shelf model out on clearance for 80 dollars was hard to say no)
a stihl fs36 (backup brushy)
i have a shovel, rake and a couple of jerry cans too.

I guess what i need to know is what oils do people suggest, how much fuel should i carry, what tools to carry and what other little things that make the business easier. For example i was planning on using chaff bags for carrying clippings and using baling clips on them to attach them to a hand trolley to make them easier to move about. I also need to know what blades people suggest using etc, what i should use for sharpening them etc etc.

The business overall to start with will be mowing, lawn care and basic gardening with looking into the future hoping to do full yard clean ups, spraying, hedge trimming and pretty much anything asked. I'm not looking to get rich out of this im just hoping to earn an honest wage and be self employed.

Thanks heaps and looking forward to the advice guys, i hope all your lawns are green, all your beers cold and all your customers grateful.

HPM
12-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi swhm. Sounds like you've got enough gear to do a good job. Keep reading the forum and look at equipment pics thread.
I carry 2 10 lt fuel and a 5 lt 2 stroke for a Honda sp Dixon rideon and a shindi whippy.
Use whatever oil is on special ..make sure you look at the grade so it is compatable to your equipment.
Good luck..