PDA

View Full Version : landscaping

captain kirk
16-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi there

I am seriously looking into studying horticulture sert 3. has anyone done this ? is it a hard corse ? how long dose it take to do it ?
Tafe cannot give me a straight answer and i thought i was the dumb one lol.

i would love to do the diploma but i think it's like a 4 yr apprenticeship dose anyone know? id imagine it to be cert 4

thanks' in advance

yours truly

Your captain

edbeek
16-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Hey Captain, I've been thinking about this for a while too, and had a bit of a read up last week.

Sounded to me like it is designed for people that are employed in the industry. Not sure how we go when we are self employed.ie nobody to sign off on our progress.

Have you been able to find out the cost of the courses through TAFE?

captain kirk
16-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Well i have not been able to fined out an exact cost. The lady did tell me it was roughly $1000 for cert 3. The lady also told me that there are workshop's that we attend that give's us our practical but i think that it's only for cert 3. cos if you look at the diploma fully qualified landscaper they can errect pre planned structure's
eg shed's pergolas water fountain's retain walls.
That was at toowoomba tafe.
http://www.landscapequeensland.com.au/content.aspx?Dyn=true&pageID=5
I cant paste the info i got from tafe it was sent as an attachment sorry.

DavidS
17-09-2011, 06:35 PM
If you are employed in an industry that is not the industry you are studying it does not matter as long as you pay your fees and complete your course. You don't need to be an apprentice to complete the course, just enrol for 1 day a week or as someone said 2 nights a week for the 3 years and you have a TAFE certificate III qualification. I don't know if this is different in other states but in NSW you can do this course to further your education or educate yourself for a job change. It doesn't hurt if you acquire a Nursery person as a friend to help you with some of the botanical stuff, but most of the stuff can be found online or in the TAFE library(Great asset for the learners plus helps with clients to, can borrow books on certain plants, landscaping and so on) I would recommend it to anyone who wants to grow their business to include gardening and possible landscaping.

captain kirk
17-09-2011, 07:23 PM
If you are employed in an industry that is not the industry you are studying it does not matter as long as you pay your fees and complete your course. You don't need to be an apprentice to complete the course, just enrol for 1 day a week or as someone said 2 nights a week for the 3 years and you have a TAFE certificate III qualification. I don't know if this is different in other states but in NSW you can do this course to further your education or educate yourself for a job change. It doesn't hurt if you acquire a Nursery person as a friend to help you with some of the botanical stuff, but most of the stuff can be found online or in the TAFE library(Great asset for the learners plus helps with clients to, can borrow books on certain plants, landscaping and so on) I would recommend it to anyone who wants to grow their business to include gardening and possible landscaping.
what about the diploma tho? do you need to do an apprenticeship tho ?

chevron
17-09-2011, 07:41 PM
I believe you need cert 111 to enrol in the diploma.

Wyadra
30-12-2011, 01:10 AM
If you have been working in the industry for a while you can get RPL for some subjects. Whatever you do you will have to pass trade tests for all the core subjects. The trade tests are really quite difficult. In NSW, after completing cert. 3 a cert 4 can be done in 1 year and then a cert 5(diploma) can be done in 2. You might not be able to get directly into the cert 3 without doing a cert 2 first. The restrictions on who can get in have tightened recently in NSW.