PDA

View Full Version : bottle trees

Kathryn
20-09-2011, 04:15 PM
does anyone have any experience in putting in a flowerbed around the base of bottle trees. a customer has a huge old one and wants to do up the area underneath. i'm just a bit worried that the extra soil may cause stress on the tree. doesnt matter how good my flower bed looks in the main attraction dies!

Redlandsguy
20-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Kathryn, I know the trees well and they tend to be pretty tough. Out home, a bit west of you, they planted a number on the street in commemoration of the diggers from there killed in WWI. They are on the street edges and have had bitumin laid up to th ebases and still survived. There is also one down here in a garden in a roundabout that is only 4 or 5 years old and appears to be thriving.

If you are worried just take some of the old soil away before you build it up and you shouldn't have a problem.

Kathryn
20-09-2011, 05:40 PM
cheers, was a bit uncertain. everything is still out of whack after the floods and some things are thriving but others are still struggling a bit so i didnt want to add any extra stress

Redlandsguy
20-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Living in Chinchilla is stress enough

Kathryn
20-09-2011, 05:53 PM
i like it. spent a year in Dalby before here. that sucked

Redlandsguy
20-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah, Dalby always used to get to me when I was driving to Brissy or Toowomba, flat and boring sort of place to my mind. It was so flat they put bumps in the road to break the monotony. Chinchilla always used to amuse me, you drove through a small part of the town without realising that most of the town was on the other side of the railway. My BIL comes from there, he is best mates with the ex-local celebrity, Pete Murray.

Kathryn
20-09-2011, 06:03 PM
i thought pete murray was a surfer type. not many waves here

Redlandsguy
20-09-2011, 08:31 PM
No Pete's a country boy to start. Lives near Byron now, but a Real nice guy.

Not a lot of waves around Chinchilla. hardly get a ripple in creek there. We used to claim we were in the Dam Life Saving Club, just needed to be careful with the bigger yabbies