PDA

View Full Version : Ztr's and trailer ramps

Scooby Steve
21-09-2011, 06:33 AM
This is for all you guys/girls running ztr's.

What set-up do you have to get the mower onto the trailer, do you use ramps (and if so what type), do you have ramps built into the trailer or is the back gate used as the ramp any info would be good even pics if you can.

Thanks.

Mick
21-09-2011, 07:15 AM
I have a 6x8 tilt trailer. 2 ramps (removable) fold down.
Because of tilt, ramps are only about 1.2m long. I can remove the ramps and slot in a piece to make it a full box trailer.
The front can be folded down as well if I ever need to drive anything up onto the ute or put something longer onto the trailer.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
21-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I am interested in this as well as I just purchased a dixon on monday and i loaded it on with a couple of planks and it was a little scary. Today when loading it on to the trailer after it did its first mow the wheels started to spin and it started going sideways. I quickly let it roll back down the planks but it gae me a little scare.

PaulG
21-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Grab a pair of curved aluminium loading ramps from Repco or or a bike shop Daniel. Repco sometimes have them on sale for half the regular price.

BCMS
21-09-2011, 06:37 PM
I have a dixon ZTR and the back tailgate of my trailer is a full width ramp. It is covered with mesh but even this can be very slippery when it is wet/raining or the mower tyres are covered in grass. It is pretty easy to get wheel spin and have the mower slide around a bit.

I also sometimes have issues with the deck bottoming out if the ground I am unloading on isnt level. I plan on extending my current ramp to fix this for the short term.

I am hoping to move to a truck next year and ditch the trailer so my offsider and I have spent a lot of time discussing loading options. We both agree that two separate ramps would be far from ideal and a bit nerve wracking. Current leaders are a tailgate loader, a crane or a ramp slightly wider than the mower on one side of the truck.

At the end of the day it is a 300kg mower and the last thing I want is something going wrong during loading/unloading.

South East Mowing
21-09-2011, 06:49 PM
I have a dixon ZTR and the back tailgate of my trailer is a full width ramp. It is covered with mesh but even this can be very slippery when it is wet/raining or the mower tyres are covered in grass. It is pretty easy to get wheel spin and have the mower slide around a bit.

I also sometimes have issues with the deck bottoming out if the ground I am unloading on isnt level. I plan on extending my current ramp to fix this for the short term.

I am hoping to move to a truck next year and ditch the trailer so my offsider and I have spent a lot of time discussing loading options. We both agree that two separate ramps would be far from ideal and a bit nerve wracking. Current leaders are a tailgate loader, a crane or a ramp slightly wider than the mower on one side of the truck.

At the end of the day it is a 300kg mower and the last thing I want is something going wrong during loading/unloading.

I have a full width ramp with mesh 1600mm long. as above it can spin/slide when wet etc. Only way to go I think - full width ramp with the open mesh. Will post pics as I am taking some for website next week!

edbeek
21-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I can show you how NOT to make your ramps. :)

I knocked these up the morning before I picked up my ZTR last year and unfortunately I'm still using them.

Initially the mower was traveling on the back of the trayback, so I made them as long as possible (2350mm) but still fit inside the tray.

The rungs are a failure. Offer very little traction and if you have to pull out while the casters are still on the ramp, you've got to park & get off and turn the casters before they swivel and fall through the gaps between the rungs. Expanded mesh is the go.

Also, a pita carrying the ramps to the back of the trailer every time.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
21-09-2011, 07:03 PM

yeah i found also that the deck catches when trying to load and unload i am thinking along the line of a whole new trailer setup any way and thinking that it will defantly have a full fold down ramp. I belive there is paint that makes it bettter for grip looked quickly on the net but will talk to some shops tomorrow and see what they have to say about this sort of paint.

Mick
21-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Trouble with truck and 4wd utes is that the tray is so high so means a longer ramp.
I personally would go 1 large split ramp. (basically 2 ramps that look like one) The split will help when on uneven ground and easier to lift. They would have a hinge that will only bend so far in the middle so they fold in half or 60:40 or so.
Under the hinge I would put some legs that swing down to help hold the weight. You could make these so they are adjustable for on uneven ground.

Last thing you want is getting hung up on the deck on the tray/ramp so you need to come up with a way of lessening the angle at the ramp. Curved ramps are great for that but they take up room on the tray and need to be put in place every time. A PITA! Thats why Im thinking the hinged ramps.

Ramp/s would be attached to the truck full time (but removable) and would have a counter weight or Lift Assist (see link) to help with the lifting and lowing.

I just went into youtube and found this. The middle ramp shows basically what Im talking about but I would still put some supports (legs) under there. You can also see how long they need to be.
Youtube is your friend! http://youtu.be/H_syGi2dces

Lift assist....http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316067_200316067

geoff
21-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I am with john on this one I too have the full width mesh and 1.6m ramp length, the longer the better ..the mesh stops skidding in wet conditons..I do like micks idea of swapping the ramp over for a box trailer but i just hang a tarp if i want to use the trailer for mulch etc...Ive seen too many accidents of people using woodern ramps or dual type ones , the full ramp allows room for margin....good ponit John
and make sure its spring loaded so easy pull down and dont cut ya feet of lol

happymowin
21-09-2011, 07:26 PM
i got some of those repco ramps, they bend like anything under a walker MB. the deck catches on the bolts and is a pita, it PULLS the ramp around under you. Rated for 600 kg a pair, i used 3 with the walker, USELESS.

My brother welded me up TWO ramps where he used to work, and they are strong enuf to take a little bobcat imo. But i dropped one on my toe at home and lucky i didnt cut my toe off.

i had to make the 3rd ramp out of a sleeper.

my ramps have a hole in them and i drop a big bolt through them, which goes thru a hole in the floor.

My bro now has to make me a full width ramp for the back gate of the trailer, and hoops to hold a canvas cover for the trailer, cos i got the new walker coming.

nice to have a brother to do it, i know nothing about welding.

dont buy the repco ramps . . .

for sale, 4 repco ramps, 3 SLIGHTLY USED, 1 brand new - $150 lol

Mick
21-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I spent 5yrs placing ramps into little slots on my old trailer. Dead set PITA! If I was to recommend anything, that would be to have them fold down. If your unloading and loading a mower "X" times a day then do yourself, and your back a favour! Something to remember about large full width ramps is that it will effect fuel consumption. They act like a big wind break. Thats another reason to do a 60:40 or so length, so its not sticking 6 or 8 feet in the air.

Even now there are things Id change on my the trailer. It would be longer, more thought into tie downs (I did put thought into it but it didnt work out,) and more. Its hard to get things right unless you make a trailer for a specific machine but even then, things change on the machines. They get bigger or you get a different machine all together.

holdenhead
21-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I have ramps that go under the rear of my trailer. They can be used to get the big zero off the back or the little one off the front from the side. They are nice and wide and made from that expanded mesh. I also had 2inch dropped spindles put on the trailer so it is lower and easier to load and rarely bottoms out. Works for me. I used to have those alluminium ramps that were just ok for the 44incher but the 60incher would be a bit heavy I would think.

CheersRick

Premier
21-09-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a 7 x 5 single axle trailer that I use to transport my Scag ZTR or my Greenfield Ride On.

I have slide out ramps (2.1 long, expanded mesh with lips) that fit neatly under the trailer, I have drop axles to keep the deck height down and don't have any loading problems.

The trailer is multi purpose and has a removeable cage as well as drop front and rear tailgates.

I will post some piccies over the weekend.

Cheers ;)

Premier

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
21-09-2011, 09:36 PM
I have ramps that go under the rear of my trailer. They can be used to get the big zero off the back or the little one off the front from the side. They are nice and wide and made from that expanded mesh. I also had 2inch dropped spindles put on the trailer so it is lower and easier to load and rarely bottoms out. Works for me. I used to have those alluminium ramps that were just ok for the 44incher but the 60incher would be a bit heavy I would think.

CheersRick
G'day Rick

Can you tell me the clearance under your 61" deck when it is raise. Trying to figure out if I need to drop the trailer a couple of inches.

Redlandsguy
22-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Particularly with a ZTR I wouldn't use anything other then a drop down, full width ramp. Mainly becasue I see it as being safer and more time efficient. Safety because if you are using ramps you may miss them if backing up or if for some reason you have to reverse direction there is a chance that the front casters can swivel of the ramps and you could roll the mower. Speed, it is just so much quicker to undo the latches and drop the gate and when finished just raise it the 5, 10 or 20 times a day you use the ZTR then it is to unfasten the ramps pull out the two of them, line them up, make sure they are secure and when you have finished, unmount, replace and tie them down again. Sure there can be a drag effect of the bigger tail gate, but the ease of effort and speed greatly outweighs this and using expanded mesh should minimise the effect. There is also the advantage of storage space needed, the tail gate is part of the trailer but you need to arrange a specific place for ramps.

happymowin
22-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Particularly with a ZTR I wouldn't use anything other then a drop down, full width ramp. Mainly becasue I see it as being safer and more time efficient. Safety because if you are using ramps you may miss them if backing up or if for some reason you have to reverse direction there is a chance that the front casters can swivel of the ramps and you could roll the mower. Speed, it is just so much quicker to undo the latches and drop the gate and when finished just raise it the 5, 10 or 20 times a day you use the ZTR then it is to unfasten the ramps pull out the two of them, line them up, make sure they are secure and when you have finished, unmount, replace and tie them down again. Sure there can be a drag effect of the bigger tail gate, but the ease of effort and speed greatly outweighs this and using expanded mesh should minimise the effect. There is also the advantage of storage space needed, the tail gate is part of the trailer but you need to arrange a specific place for ramps.

yep, thats why i want full width ramps for the new walker, be buggered if im gonna haul out 3 ramps each time i want to use it for 5 minutes. also a pita to store them next to the mower in the trailer, no space to get in there and tie the mower down.

holdenhead
22-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi glen, I cant ring you at the moment coz I have no voice and have the flu. I will measure it tomorrow and let you know. I would lower it a few inches coz at times mine scrapes when the ground is uneven. It was fine until I started doing this council stuff and noticed the roads are treiblr in spots. It makes the tralier look better too.

Cheers Rick

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
22-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Hi glen, I cant ring you at the moment coz I have no voice and have the flu. I will measure it tomorrow and let you know. I would lower it a few inches coz at times mine scrapes when the ground is uneven. It was fine until I started doing this council stuff and noticed the roads are treiblr in spots. It makes the tralier look better too.

Cheers Rick

No worries. Thanks mate. Get well and yell out( parden the pun)if you need a hand. Pretty busy myself but if I can help you out, I will.

gcsmow
04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Been there done that, I had a Toro Z 355 (the predecessor to the Exmark Navigator) and I had to use 3 ramps. What a night mare. I made a full width tailgate ramp and it was much better. I put a lift assist spring on mine from a horse float and I would strongly recommend getting one or two of them.

yep, thats why i want full width ramps for the new walker, be buggered if im gonna haul out 3 ramps each time i want to use it for 5 minutes. also a pita to store them next to the mower in the trailer, no space to get in there and tie the mower down.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
15-12-2011, 09:37 PM
This be awesome not sure where to get them though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xc5kVnvJo

BLACK BEAR
15-12-2011, 10:37 PM
This be awesome not sure where to get them though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xc5kVnvJo

Here, a bit pricey though! http://loadallmotorcycleramps.com/loadallv3.html

edbeek
09-05-2013, 05:58 PM
After almost 3 years of putting up with my old rung ramps I've finally improved things a bit.
It works pretty good. The front & rear retainers stop any movement & rattles.
I usually have high sides & rear on and now I can easily secure the ramps & tie down the ztr.