PDA

View Full Version : Plants underneath ferns

GrowCutMow
06-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I have a client with a couple of ferns near his front door in an undercover area. He has asked me to come up with a few suggestions for some low maintenance plants to put under them. Any ideas?

Fred's mowing
06-10-2011, 04:57 PM
I take it u mean tree ferns???????
You should try to match up future plantings with plants that have similar requirements.
Low light, fairley high moisture reqirements.
Various types of impatiens & begonias spring to mind, particuarly if u want color.
Maybe even dwarf hydrangeas?
Possibly even smaller fern varieties like aspleniums or birds nest fern.
Do uwant smaller shrubs or ground covers? or both?
Cheers Fred.

DavidS
06-10-2011, 06:22 PM
What Fred says it on the money, we need to know what you actually want and what size area are we talking about.

Redeye
06-10-2011, 06:24 PM
azalea's, fuschia's.....

BobC
06-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Suggestions as above. Also Hosta's and Hellebores would do well.

Stump
06-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I planted an indigenous ground cover under my ferns. (Bidgee Widgee) Is fernlike in appearance, but downside is that because it forms such a thick lush mat, from a distance it looks like the garden is weed infested. From one little runner I have trained it to cover most of the garden bed along the front of the house in one year. Great weed blocker.

Back to Basics
06-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Madonna Lillies, Rhoeo, Blecnum Ferns, Liriope Stripey Whites, Bromiliads

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Madonna Lillies, Rhoeo, Blecnum Ferns, Liriope Stripey Whites, Bromiliads
I like the idea of bromiliads. If the area is moist enough intruduce some frogs. I have a lot of striped and spotted marsh frogs in my yard so have planted a lot of bromiliads to give them a habitat.

GrowCutMow
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I will show the client some options and see what he says. Might even post some photos if I get a chance.