PDA

View Full Version : What`s on this plant?

simo
08-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Hey all Need to find out what is all over this plant and how to get rid of it.. I `am thinking it maybe fungus but cannot find any info on the web.. any help would be great
4018 4019
Cheers :help

Fred's mowing
08-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Lichen, most plants can handle it. Ive been led to believe its a good thing re air quality.
The tree would be in a fairley shaded area & its growing on the south side of the tree???
Cheers Fred.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
08-10-2011, 09:29 AM
I have seen this quite a lot it often happens to citrus it is a cousin of mistle toe. I have never worried about it doesnt seem to hurt the tree.

ian
08-10-2011, 09:54 AM
http://http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Conservation-and-the-Environment/Lichens-Mosses-Liverworts-and-Algae/2085 (http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Conservation-and-the-Environment/Lichens-Mosses-Liverworts-and-Algae/2085)
http://http://www.gardenopus.com/Lichen.htm (http://www.gardenopus.com/Lichen.htm)
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen)

simo
09-10-2011, 11:01 AM
:olympic Thanks fellas, great info/links Ian..Looks like copper sulfate will do the trick but due to its toxic chemicals I`am going to hand them a info sheet and recomend they be the guinea pigs..Thanks :)
And let them know i have a chain saw as its not an easy fix..

DavidS
10-10-2011, 06:25 PM
How much of the tree is covered, if not alot you can get a wire brush and lightly rub it off, I do this with my Bonsai's if I don't want it on them.

simo
11-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Hi david thanks but not an option as it`s 6ft ornamental bush with 100`s of small branches covered in the stuff and she has 3 of them..

PaulG
11-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Looks like an Ornamental Peach or similar? To be honest I wouldn't worry about treating it unless the client is really worried about aesthetics.

Lichens do no harm at all to the host plant/tree.

DavidS
11-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah I agree with Paul, I would leave them alone.

Chris B
07-02-2012, 07:01 PM
can someone tell me if these trees can be shaped into a hedge or will the bottom part always struggle as they will form a typical tree shape with canopy and bare trunk? doesnt get much light as down side of double story house.4404

also this tree has split i think from strong winds a couple of months ago. its part of a few matching trees. is it possible to save it? the branch on the right of the split is 100% alive. the left side is mainly dead but some of the higher branches have a bit of life.

also the names of the trees would be great :)

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
can someone tell me if these trees can be shaped into a hedge or will the bottom part always struggle as they will form a typical tree shape with canopy and bare trunk? doesnt get much light as down side of double story house.4404

also this tree has split i think from strong winds a couple of months ago. its part of a few matching trees. is it possible to save it? the branch on the right of the split is 100% alive. the left side is mainly dead but some of the higher branches have a bit of life.

Mate that hedge i dont think as it is it would become a hedge. If you cut them down with 6 inches of stump left it might restart but im not sure as its hard to see what the tree is if its a lily pillie it be right. lilli pillies have to be hedged and hedged regulary from a small height I know mine are nice and thick yet ones down the road planted a month later are tall and spread out.

As to the tree with the split i would cut off the branch thats dead and i think the tree will be fine there is a black tar stuff you could paint over the wound after the branch is removed but i would only do that if its a snotty customer that would pay more for it.

Mrs HMS
07-02-2012, 08:16 PM
We were told that a hedge should always be slightly tapering towards the top so that the leaves all the way down were exposed to some light, so as to prevent the lower sections looking thin and sick because they were always being shaded by the upper leaves. Doesn't have to be an visually obvious taper, I think from memory it was about 1 degree at maximum? In that low light area you may find it helps a little bit.

Chris B
07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
i find the taper helps as well however have never cut these before.. dont think they have been cut at all except to allow room for the gate to open.
was just wondering if its just the type of trees that dont have leaves on the bottom trunks? (eg like planting a row of gum trees wont make a hedge at the bottom) or just the lack of light. the tops seem to keep growing taller but the bottom has barely grown at all.

DavidS
08-02-2012, 04:59 AM
ChrisB,
The problem is the plants have not been trained as a hedge and now they are to tall to really make a successful hedge. Yes you could cut the tops out and and some of the bottom might thicken up a bit but not like it should. I would trim the tops to make it all even like a hedge and just keep them neat.
I would cut the branch off as it has been to long to really do anything about it, the branch will survive but will not look any good, you could strap it to help support it but it's better being cut off. If you had got there a day or two after it happened you could have strapped the branch to the trunk tightly and supported the branch and it would have reattached to the trunk. But saying that the branch would always have to have a support as it would split again in the same place if it got to heavy.

Redeye
08-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I'd cut off the branch, as David said its been too long; painting wounds isn't really whats taught as good practice these days as its seen as a way trapping any possible infection in the wound under the paint

Fred's mowing
08-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Chris, Im pretty sure the first pic is Magnolia grandiflora. The second pic makes it very hard to tell as its hard to see the foliage.
No doubt the bottom is struggling in the shade on the Magnolias.
Cuttting the top may help marginally.
Another way of looking at it is, u could pleach the hedge & under plant it with smaller shade tolerant plants.
Like Joanne said, hedges should be slightly tapered to stop the shading aspect, although in this case it wont make much diff.
Also it makes the hardest part of the hedge to cut (the top) easier,as it will be narrower.
Cheers Fred.

Mrs HMS
08-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Another way of looking at it is, u could pleach the hedge & under plant it with smaller shade tolerant plants.

I like pleached hedges, they look really effective, especially under planted like Fred suggests. My sister has a similar area at the side of her house. Has a pleached variegated pittosporum hedge underplanted with bromeliads, the contrast in foliage colour looks really good between the almost silver of the pittosporum and the dark green of the bromeliads.

Chris B
09-02-2012, 09:39 PM
thanks guys. looks like maybe they were initially planted to be separate shaped trees or a pleached hedge as there are actually plants in between along the bottom.
ill see what they want to do and get rid of that branch.

Chris B
14-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Hello garden experts, Can someone please let me know what this is and how to treat.
Is it powdery mildew? Its from a new place we just picked up that is fairly well maintained but have noticed this is on a fair bit of the hedging. 443244334434

Fred's mowing
14-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Def not powdery mildew.
Looks like spider mites on a Viburnum tinus to me.
Although the leaves look a little roundish, got a pic of the entire shrub?
Cheers Fred.

Mrs HMS
14-02-2012, 05:45 PM
vote for spider mites too. That's what the little red dots appear to be and the discolouration of the leaves is typical of the damage they do.

Fred's mowing
14-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Another possibility is rust.
If u rub the brown/red spots, do they smudge?
Cheers Fred.

DavidS
14-02-2012, 07:29 PM
I vote for both of Fred's answers and yes rub the leaf and the spots, if they don't rub off with a bit of pressure then it's Spider mite damage.

ian
14-02-2012, 09:37 PM
spider mite notice quite abit on Viburnums and Azaleas at this time of the year i recommend spraying with confidor or rogor the leaves won't improve as the damage to the leaves is permanent but if you control/kill the mites the new growth will be ok if you do nothing the mites will simply attack any new growth

Chris B
15-02-2012, 05:29 PM
cheers thanks for the help everyone (and fred even naming the plant!) :clap:.. sounds like spider mite then.

regarding treatment i read somewhere on the yates site to use the lime sulfur as treatment or the soap spray??? is confidor best ian ? or anyone? :)

Mrs HMS
15-02-2012, 06:52 PM
My dad used to make his own spider mite treatment using 1 cap full of dog flea wash/shampoo (it also acts as a surfactant to help the spray hold on to the foliage better), the same amount of white oil mixed in about 3 litres of water, he's mix it up in a plastic bucket, put the whole lot in a back pack sprayer (shake well and often) and hose down all the plants.

Cheap, easy, effective and almost organic

ian
15-02-2012, 08:26 PM
My dad used to make his own spider mite treatment using 1 cap full of dog flea wash/shampoo (it also acts as a surfactant to help the spray hold on to the foliage better), the same amount of white oil mixed in about 3 litres of water, he's mix it up in a plastic bucket, put the whole lot in a back pack sprayer (shake well and often) and hose down all the plants.

Cheap, easy, effective and almost organic
that would make sense as the active ingredient in a lot of dog flea treatment shampoos was/is Dimethoate(rogor) or Malathion(maldison)

imoww
15-06-2012, 06:19 PM
I have an issue with a new plant i planted a few weeks ago.
Does anyone have any idea what's the yellow spots?
The area is in Strathfield NSW. the client have small dogs...
I thought they maybe weeing on the plant????

simo
15-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I have an issue with a new plant i planted a few weeks ago.
Does anyone have any idea what's the yellow spots?
The area is in Strathfield NSW. the client have small dogs...
I thought they maybe weeing on the plant????

Hey Imoww found this on google might help http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12525

imoww
15-06-2012, 07:27 PM
OMG Simo. Thats exactly the same issue and same plant. Thanks mate.
Looks like ill have to cut the bad leaves off and spray white oil...

imoww
22-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I have to get 4 x Viburnum Davidii plants mature. But cannot get them anywere.. Anyone have any ideas where to buy them between Sydney to Bowral?

Stripes
22-10-2013, 02:55 PM
I have to get 4 x Viburnum Davidii plants mature. But cannot get them anywere.. Anyone have any ideas where to buy them between Sydney to Bowral?

Have you tried the wholesalers like andreasens or Plantmark? They deliver anywhere too. Kenthurst nursery is another that may have them.

PaulG
23-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Could try calling Fleming's as well. (03) 9756 6105 - They grow and distribute them and their website shows they supply to nearly all nurseries near you inc Bowral and Mittagong.

How mature is mature though? They're not a big shrub even when fully grown.