PDA

View Full Version : Snakes

Hustler
12-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Watch out the snakes are out!

i saw two today in Port Fairy i had the slasher on the trailer that quick, that the f----g thing did not see me get away.

Phew heart attacks all round :dean:

MikeD
12-10-2006, 04:45 PM
I had a close call with a hairy couple of hunstman spiders. One each of male and female, one with a fat abdomen and the other with a small. I was clearing over growen vines from trees 2 meters up. Scared me as it was as biggie and wanted to know what was going on with its home. got shivers now

I was warned by a neighbour of a customer that red belly blacks where around the parramatta area.

Hustler
12-10-2006, 04:49 PM
These were red belly blacks . i got skid marks in me jocks i will go back tomorrow when its a bit cooler to finish job but will be taking a large bit of fencing wire in one hand only one good snake and thats a dead one.

MikeD
12-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Was a hot day I only had a short one. You ended up finding a slasher then? Ever since Ive started 2-3 months ago i dream about these creepy craulies climbing over me at night, as they do when gardening.

I also hate bringing spiders into the car, cant stop mid traffic to brush them off.

administrator
13-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Spider Causes Man to Lose Control of SUV

LEVANT, Maine — A Levant man told police he lost control of his 2003 Lincoln Navigator after he was startled by a spider on Wednesday morning.

James Lee, 28, was trying to get out of the SUV when it smashed into a tree. He walked away with a bloody nose caused by the air bag.

But, it could've been worse. At least it wasn't the new Volvo XC90 he won in a contest.

Last month, Lee was one of 11 people from across the country to win a new vehicle from McDonald's, the Bangor Daily News reported. After finishing a Big Mac extra value meal, he got the winning game piece for the "Pirates of the Caribbean" game.

He hasn't taken delivery of the new vehicle yet.

Shepparton Lawn Care
13-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Hit a brown snake yesterday with the mower-a big one!-he was at least 6 inches long. Like you Nev I s**t myself, not so much for the size of it, but It got me thinking-WHERE'S MUM!! :laughing: :laughing:

bigG
14-10-2006, 04:22 PM
shut up you guys ,im having nightmares .i saw enough snakes last summer.next that has a snake story is banned.............do you hear me

Hustler
14-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Mate if it stays this dry the will be coming out every where trying to find water where thier one thiers more so ive got a bit of fencing wire attached to the slasher there is only one good snake and thats a dead one i dont care what any one says. i dont care if tthey are protected or not the barstards are not getting me

cadase
14-10-2006, 07:14 PM
a WILDLIFE warrior just bag em' give them away as chrissy presents to non paying customers :i dunno:

Hustler
14-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Will you come and bag them for me or Big G may do it for me cause i got a couple bad payers at the moment.

Shepparton Lawn Care
14-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Nev, Maybe I should have caught my "big Brown" instead of mulching him and sent it to Big G. Seeing that you wont let us talk about 'em Big G, maybe I'll just put 'em in an airbag for you-kinda like a long distance show and tell! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :eyes:

wombat
15-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Geez I was amped up for the bastards the other day. Cutting back an acre bushland block, I had the brushcutter pretty much flat out wether it needed to be or not. The missus (who got the job originally) told the owner not to tell me how many snakes they'd seen last summer, until after I'd finished!!!!!!! :dean: :help:

bigG
15-10-2006, 08:00 AM
thats it you are all banned :laughing: :laughing:

administrator
15-10-2006, 01:45 PM
A lady was bit just a few days ago in Qld while doing her gardening saw on prime time news 6 oclock she was taken to hospital as she couldnt descriube what snake it was.

I think they second guessed it and said it was a lawnies dont do u own gardening snake .

:p

Hustler
15-10-2006, 02:12 PM
BIG G what have you been up to ??????????? keep hidden mate or you will get in trouble
Regards Nev

Wggc
29-03-2007, 06:52 PM
heyyyyaa late post here but i want my say !!! lol ;frosty; well from what i have heard from farmers in the riverian in nsw where i used to work trimming trees from powerlines that the "red belly black " was the farmers friends as they kept the tigers & king browns away & werent near as aggro & not as poisonous either !!!!!!!!! as an ex melb water contract tractor mower , i found the noise kept most away but during morning of around say 18 c , id come across the most amount of snakes ( never when it was hot !!!! ) even when it was drizzy rain i stood on a 6 ft black dammit !! i damn near soiled me jocks !! lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: never mind ! ive had tigers chase my tractor & slasher combo & strike it ! ( the highest & longest strike was about 3 ft in the air & 7 ft !!!! i always wondered how the hell steve irwin would have got away from this one :O i hated opening gates in long grass as i couldnt see them but i useed to drive the machine over my walkways & felt much better ;frosty; cheers :wave-hi:

Mrs HMS
29-03-2007, 06:59 PM
as an ex melb water contract tractor mower , i found the noise kept most away

Yeah and we used to live next to a nice park with a lake in it in Melbourne's outer east. Every time they sent in the tractors our bloody backyard would fill up with snakes!!!!!! :frightene :frightene
Would have to keep the dogs and kids inside for at least 24 hours. I'm a total wussy...I loathe them.

Wggc
29-03-2007, 08:56 PM
awwww joan !! lol @ least they werent annoyin meeeeeEEeee lol ;frosty; oh well . i guess if the grass was left long there would be more of them & rodents as well !!! :confused: :frightene

wombat
30-03-2007, 07:47 PM
tigers & king browns away & werent near as aggro & not as poisonous either !!!!!!!!! as an ex melb water contract tractor mower , i found the noise kept most away but during morning of around say 18 c , id come across the most amount of snakes ( never when it was hot !!!! ) even when it was drizzy rain i stood on a 6 ft black dammit !! i damn near soiled me jocks !! lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: never mind ! ive had tigers chase my tractor & slasher combo & strike it ! ( the highest & longest strike was about 3 ft in the air & 7 ft !!!!:

ahhhh.....tiger snakes. I've had a cpl and was thinking..... this bloke gets chased by tigers?????? :confused: :eek: (looks for very embarresed emoticon!!)

Wggc
30-03-2007, 10:47 PM
lol wombat i glad i didnt either :frightene i hate em !!!! but when you mow around drains & waterways you get em & i was always worried that i mite get bitten on the job & need to get the ambo's out ( 40 mins away ) in some places . i started wearing steel capped gumboots when i knew i was in area's where they would most frequent ;frosty; im glad those days are behind mee :laughing:

administrator
03-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Just thought we would include this here in this post it was posted on the 48th navy thread on this forum

Spare a thought for graham Fitton apparently on saturday 1st Dec went up to see Barters at the country property in Neerim East Vic to spend some mateship time and was bitten by a tiger snake GRAHAM WAS THE 4TH ONE IN TWENTY YEARS where they had to administer anti venom at the Warragul hospital .

Barters said well done Graham ony the 4th one were on the list lol

Graham has just been released from hospital today at 2pm and will be recovering nicely with his family .

Sheedys Mowing
03-12-2007, 10:53 PM
thats where i work :frightene

administrator
04-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Lifestyle heres a tip dont go to Neerim South Hospital because they dont even know how to do a snake bite bandage

Matter of fact it shouldnt have A Hospital sign out the front if the staff cant even do a bandage

that means they havent got first aid 2 knowledge . :i dunno:

Eastwood
04-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Sh**t thats scary

administrator
03-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Just thought we would include this here in this post it was posted on the 48th navy thread on this forum

Spare a thought for graham Fitton apparently on saturday 1st Dec went up to see Barters at the country property in Neerim East Vic to spend some mateship time and was bitten by a tiger snake GRAHAM WAS THE 4TH ONE IN TWENTY YEARS where they had to administer anti venom at the Warragul hospital .

Barters said well done Graham ony the 4th one were on the list lol

Graham has just been released from hospital today at 2pm and will be recovering nicely with his family .

Took Graham three months to recover completely from the snake bite and just an udate yesterday caught said tiger snake now hanging on fence for a Kooka to enjoy minus the head of course

The funny thing is havent seen the snake around for all this time have seen his marks and where he has been a few hours after graham had left after another visit yesterday
The snake is spotted by Rob and the chase began Rob saw it go into a pile of leaves and branches ready for a burn .
So we struck a match and waited bingo now its history .

administrator
03-11-2008, 12:22 PM
thats where i work :frightene

One down a million to go

Keep safe Sheedy Mowing wear your wellies lol

Bluey
05-11-2008, 06:06 PM
I was reading this post last night and thinking to myself that I need to keep my eyes open. Sure enough this arvo I was in a regular clients garden at Pasadena that borders bushland. Came around the corner and near stepped on a juvenile king brown about 2 foot long.

He went one way and I went the other just as fast. I don't know who got the biggest fright. I don't like snakes. I spoke to the owner by phone and gave her a heads up on the crawly thing in her garden. Turns out she saw it a couple of days ago but forgot to leave me a note.

Only 5 mins before I was doing a Lifestyle and was on my hands and knee's hand weeding under some shrubs about 2 feet away from where we scared the mutual crap outta each other.

Spent the next hour working there listening for every little rustle in the garden

I hate snakes :mad:

Hustler
05-11-2008, 06:29 PM
so do i hate the mothers i killed two yesterday i ran over the mothers i was to quick for them on the new ride on she goes 15 klm per hour. its a hustler super duty 42 inch 19 hp
regards hustler

haireyscarie
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
so do i hate the mothers i killed two yesterday i ran over the mothers i was to quick for them on the new ride on she goes 15 klm per hour. its a hustler super duty 42 inch 19 hp
regards hustler

nice 1 hustler
i have the 54 inch cut baby

Islandhead
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Touch wood I've not seen any so far, I don't think we get many round this way (although I may be wrong) but rest assured if I did I'd S**t meself and be running away faster than Roger Bannister :laughing: :laughing:

Bluey
06-11-2008, 08:17 PM
After much thought and several beers my encounter with the crawlie beast yesterday has led me to reflect on it's actual size. Seems in the heat of the moment I may have underestimated it's length while I was manfully fighting it off...lol

I now think it was more like this one...albeit it dead .....but it is more like the one I saw I now think.. If the video is grainy my apologies but after all it is a dead snake form somewhere overseas so we have to accept that.

Big bugger isn't he. Thank Christ he is dead.

Hustler
06-11-2008, 08:20 PM
That one even friegtened the s-it out of me now i will have nightmares tonight :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno: :who-knows :who-knows :who-knows ;)

Bluey
06-11-2008, 08:24 PM
lol.... I reckon he would give your ride on a run for it's money. :laughing:

Bgs
06-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I hate snakes :frightene :frightene

Do any Brisbane people see any nasties?.
I work on a couple of bush blocks and come across Pythons and tree snakes haven't seen anything nasty yet touch Wood.

Wggc
13-12-2008, 01:46 AM
I found this Lazy bugger down near Cannons Creek near westernport bay asleep in the sun !!! This was taken about 5 weeks ago !!
The shadow below is the cabin of the truck (3 ft away ) & it never woke up even with the truck pulling up beside it :i dunno:

63impala
13-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Ran over a carpet snake on a job in Mount Nathan In tall grass.I was mowing another section and the off sider decides to throw it at me just mist so I said next Time I find some thing Dead it going your way.

Bluey
18-08-2009, 09:25 PM
My offsider saw the first one for the season on the last job we did today. Small juvenile brown. He was following me up cleaning up the grass after I had hit an area with the whippy. The bloody thing escaped down a hole. Property was right in the middle of suburbia but very badly overgrown. Years worth.

Out back we found the remains of a very extensive veggie garden under the grass and weeds. Also lots and lots of sheet iron and other nice little hiding spots for snake eyes to lay in wait.

After Rob seeing the snake out front we were jumpy. When we started on the veggie garden I saw a blue tongue and jumped back with a yell when he took off. Rob thought it was a great joke until 10 mins later when he did the same thing. I was glad when we finished.

Trouble is we have lots more work there yet. Price has just gone up. Snake money. Told the owner to get Snake Away in while we clean up the property of hidey holes. Lets see if he goes for it. If he doesn't he can live with snake eyes minus us.

DavidS
18-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Thats one thing I hate about gardening, crawling around on hands and knees and running into a sleeping snake. Has not happened yet but I have run into a few blue tongues that have frightened the **** out of me. I have run into snakes in the gardens and lawns. Found a few baby red bellys last year in a garden, that put the wind up me, kept eye out for mum, hard trying to concentrate on weeding while you are looking around every where, boy I was glad to finish that job.

redbackmowing
18-08-2009, 10:29 PM
haven't seen any on the job but one lady told me to be careful of green tree snakes one time. didn't see them. like davids those blue tongues make me jump thou until i see what it is.

administrator
19-08-2009, 01:10 AM
I know alot of friends that keep snakes as pets and mostly are women i dont really get it .

Funny though they seem to be frightened of trouser snakes wont go near em lol

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
19-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Hit a brown snake yesterday with the mower-a big one!-he was at least 6 inches long. Like you Nev I s**t myself, not so much for the size of it, but It got me thinking-WHERE'S MUM!! :laughing: :laughing:

Just so you know Doesn't matter whether there 6 inches or 6 feet long they are still as venomous.

I know a bloke who got bitten by a 12 inch brown,didn't get to the hospital for over 3 hours and nearly died because they cant give you anti venom after a certain amount of time :frightene

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
19-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I know alot of friends that keep snakes as pets and mostly are women i dont really get it .

Funny though they seem to be frightened of trouser snakes wont go near em lol

Must be married :laughing: :laughing:

edbeek
18-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Saw my first snake for the season today.
The lady had herself locked in the house and said she saw her dogs messing with it and it went into the shed. I went for a look thinking it would be long gone, but I did find a red belly black sleeping behind some junk(probably a different snake).
I gave him a poke with a stick and he just went out all civilised into the long grass next door.

I told the old girl that I couldn't find anything but she better clean up some of the debris around he car so she can see them.

edbeek
25-09-2011, 08:47 PM
My neighbour sent me some pics from their trip to the coast today.
They came across these two doing their thing in the middle of suburbia.

It's the time of year when they tend to be more aggressive.

starmow
25-09-2011, 08:57 PM
i don't want to live close to this house..
http://youtu.be/IT86xaR7ByE

Bluey
25-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Must be married :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe she is like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rhUmyRYDxs

Bluey
26-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Nearly stepped on a big brown yesterday doing a walk through on a vacant lot in Golden Grove. Did a quick double take then saw another one just as big about 2 feet away. Time to back peddle. Rang the bloke who owned it and said don't worry I won't be quoting. Told him about the snakes. He rang me off the web page about an hour later wanting a quote. Obviously trying to get someone else. I told him he really needed to tell people about the snakes. The lot is in Eastliegh Ave Golden Grove right by Cobbler Creek. If you get a call keep well clear

edbeek
15-01-2012, 11:55 AM
I thought I'd do some tinkering on a workbench on the back verandah this morning and found this in amongst the gear.
I think it's probably off a 6-7' carpet snake.
He's probably taken up residence somewhere as I've been hearing some strange noises in the night lately.

63impala
15-01-2012, 01:15 PM
That sounds about right....

Kathryn
15-01-2012, 01:25 PM
i got asked to quote on spraying and mowing a block of over my head saplings and grasses wasnt game to even walk around in there

edbeek
14-02-2012, 07:49 PM
I watched a 5' brown snake poke out of the grass ahead of me on the ztr today.
It wasn't interested in me and just slid out and into some bushes outside of the block I was mowing.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I was away on holiday 2 weeks ago and decided to take a bush walk with the wife ,kids and the dog. Didn't take long before we came across a tiger snake about 2 metres in front of us and not even about 100mtrs more and there is another one. Problem is unlike normal I had a pair of thongs and shorts on, so had to be careful as I was leading the way and the snakes seem to blend in with the edges of the tracks.

My brother who does snake relocation reckons I should have grabed them. Easy for him to say. I'm not tackleing a snake in thongs and shorts.

South East Mowing
14-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I was away on holiday 2 weeks ago and decided to take a bush walk with the wife ,kids and the dog. Didn't take long before we came across a tiger snake about 2 metres in front of us and not even about 100mtrs more and there is another one. Problem is unlike normal I had a pair of thongs and shorts on, so had to be careful as I was leading the way and the snakes seem to blend in with the edges of the tracks.

My brother who does snake relocation reckons I should have grabed them. Easy for him to say. I'm not tackleing a snake in thongs and shorts.

Maybe another soft c***:laughing:

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Maybe another soft c***:laughing:

Ha Ok John got me there......

South East Mowing
14-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Ha Ok John got me there......

Welcome back from holidays mate. Just checkin your still "on the ball"

PaulG
21-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Just another reminder not to take anything for granted when out quoting or working a job.

A 40 year old man died here on Sunday after a snake bite while out mowing his property at Withcott just down below the Dividing Range from Toowoomba.

Amanda heard about it at school as the family's children are in some of her classes.

Details are sketchy still but it's believed he went over the snake on his ride-on, and thinking it was dead, tried to remove it, when he was bitten.

DavidS
21-02-2012, 07:22 PM
I nearly walked on a Brown snake 2 weeks ago, pruned a hedge and was raking up the stuff that fell between the plants, was walking backwards, just out of the corner of my eye I saw a movement, turned around and it was a brown snake taking a short cut, I was about 1.2 mtrs away with only a plastic rake, I slowly moved away in the opposite direction, ran to ute to get my "Snake Guider" and came back to no snake. The farmer told the next week that he had whacked a brown snake in the backyard.

PaulG
21-02-2012, 07:44 PM
My details above are completely wrong if you believe the newspaper here today.

The man was 57, highly respected family man in charge of the QAS in this area.

Had been mowing on teh ride-on when it became bogged. He, and someone else had pushed it out of the long grass and bog.

His wife came back out half an hour later to see him lying on the ground beside the mower. He could not be revived.

No toxicology reports yet but they are now saying heart attack, not snake bite.

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/2012/02/21/ambulance-chiefs-shock-death/

THE shock death of top Toowoomba paramedic Ross Chalmers has left his young family and the emergency services community in mourning.

Mr Chalmers, 57, is believed to have suffered a heart attack while mowing at his Withcott home on Saturday.

He had been the Queensland Ambulance Service Toowoomba station officer-in-charge for 10 years and joined the service 31 years ago.

Helidon Police Sergeant Howard Glass said Mr Chalmers had been using a ride-on mower at his Debra St home when the mower became bogged in long grass.

Mr Chalmers, with the help of his family, walked into the long grass to push out the mower.

He continued mowing for about 30 minutes when his wife realised she could no longer hear the mower.

She discovered her husband's body lying next to the mower at 1pm.

Colleagues of Mr Chalmers desperately tried to save his life.

"Paramedics were on scene and performed CPR but they couldn't revive him," Sgt Glass said.

There have been unconfirmed reports that Mr Chalmers may have been bitten by a snake.

However, there were no obvious signs of a bite and Mr Chalmers did not complain of being bitten while walking in the long grass.

Sgt Glass said it would be some time before the toxicology results would be known. His death is being treated as non-suspicious.

Mr Chalmers is survived by his wife and two primary-school aged sons.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
21-02-2012, 08:33 PM

This little one is apparemtly named fluffy after the dog it ate.

DavidS
07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
This frightened the living daylights out of me, while I was spreading fertiliser for a client, all I saw was his head sticking out between the slates, then he came completely out, bugger me. I haven't seen a baby one of these for years, I have seen a few adults lately.

edbeek
07-12-2012, 07:42 PM
There's been a couple of deaths from snakebite recently. One was a power line worker near Yeppoon thought to have been bitten by a Taipan.
The other one was an elderly man at Pittsworth (i think) on the Darling Downs, who thought he had killed the brown snake, but when he went to pick it up, it got him on the leg and hand.

imoww
04-03-2013, 07:00 AM
I teamed up with another lawnie both riding our ride ons. ( we were not racing... Honest)...
At one point, He was waving his arms around to me. Couldnt hear him. I drove up to him in high gear. He was laughing his arse off as he said Did you see that?
See what? You hit a brown snake.... Oh ****. Where is he...? He's everywhere......

GQdude
07-03-2013, 07:03 AM
I was whipper snipping a guys lawn yesterday, along the fence, when a black snake popped out of the overgrown grass and overtook the snipper head. Thankfully due to not wanting to step in dog crap I was snipping forward not the usual walking backwards. Same house I got wasp bits from 4 weeks ago.

Zweedo
09-03-2013, 12:13 PM
I was whipper snipping a guys lawn yesterday, along the fence, when a black snake popped out of the overgrown grass and overtook the snipper head. Thankfully due to not wanting to step in dog crap I was snipping forward not the usual walking backwards. Same house I got wasp bits from 4 weeks ago.

Raise the price. Tell them it's danger pay. :)

imoww
05-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Had a close call today. Was cleaning up after a major weed and garden clean up.
Felt a large fly on my left leg. Went to swat it and noticed a bloody funnel web sitting on my leg.
I kicked it off and it jumped back onto my sox keepers. After a few more kicks and squashing it into the ground, I was jumping all over the place like a rag doll in fear of more on me.
I feel sorry for the poor guy waiting at the bus stop out the front.
When i yelled out F*Kn funnel web.... he jumped about 10 feet too.

DavidS
06-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Got a brown snake last thursday with the ute crossing a dirt road, only a small one about 1 mtr

imoww
28-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Wow... That was a close one...
This bugger (Brown snake) was waiting behind me while i whipper snipped the lawn on the left.
I didnt know it was there until a passer by pulled up and yelled out "SNAKE" she said it was behind me.
Its not really huge around 4 feet long... I jumped back in shock. then the snake slid onto the lawn.
I didnt have enough courage to get any closer to take a better pic7959

GardeningSolutions
28-10-2014, 05:15 PM
They're around this year. Didn't see any last year but just recently run over a 5ft one in the ute, a mate had 2 in his back yard( similar size), and another mate had a juvenile brown in the laundry.

Matt1972
28-10-2014, 05:46 PM
They're around this year. Didn't see any last year but just recently run over a 5ft one in the ute, a mate had 2 in his back yard( similar size), and another mate had a juvenile brown in the laundry.

I didn't see any last year either, but saw my first one a week or so back. Unfortunately for him the hustler took him out. Only noticed him on the next run.

Bluey
28-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Lots of the lil buggers around this year