PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from north brisbane

pugs_81
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi all ,after a while of consideration and constant naggin to the mrs i have decided to take the plunge and start my mowing business , not looking for a heap of work just enough to get by as im a carer to my son (only allowed to work 25hrs a week) . just got my abn and business registered bought myself a toro 22in self propelled mower a old 83 diesel ford courier ute , a cheapie whipper , i know shouldnt of bought cheapie whipper but after the mower and ute didnt have much money left but will upgrade it in a month or so imm looking for a blower atm so if anyones got a decent second hand one forsale or no of a decent brand thats cheap let me know ,also bought a heap of flyers so will probably go for a walk on the weekend , any advice would be great , cheers Lee

Woodsy
04-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Lots of advice on the forum. Challenge is to sort through what will work for you.

A lot of people on here think the Pope blowers from Big W are very good. I have an Echo myself. Still trying to get the hang of it, find the broom does a much better job, and by the time I clean up all the stuff I've blown everywhere, it's not much longer.

You will notice a better whipper straight away. The edging always takes longer than the mowing, so you'll find your using the whippy more than the mower.

Bluey
04-11-2011, 07:08 PM
A lot of people on here think the Pope blowers from Big W are very good. I have an Echo myself. Still trying to get the hang of it, find the broom does a much better job, and by the time I clean up all the stuff I've blown everywhere, it's not much longer.

You can't be serious Woodsy. Learn to use the blower better. Best tool in your stable is a good blower. I rarely use my hand held blowers now. Like the power of the back pack

happymowin
04-11-2011, 07:48 PM
ive been using blowers to clean up for 10 years,

it is a learned technique for sure,

people sometimes watch me doing it and comment how good it looks

a broom? whats that?

i literally dont carry one.

rake, shovel, fork and blower.

thats my clean up options.

Dazz1
04-11-2011, 09:50 PM
All the best Pugs, just starting out myself!
My blower at the moment was a Xmas pressent from my wife about 3 years ago, Little Homelite from bunnings. I used it once when i got it and it couldn't blow a feather, after that it wouldn't start again and i didn't have the heart to tell her it was a piece of SXXX and it sat under a bench for 3 years.
So when I told her I was going ahead with the business she said thats great you can use the blower thingy i got you! DOH!
Any way, I stripped it down cleaned everthing found it has no type of air filter at all! removed the plug cleaned the electrodes in the plug with a bit of sand paper and blow me down it started 4th pull just like it said it should on the idiots guide on the side of the thing.

Dazz1
04-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Also post an ad on Gumtree for free.
I got my first 2 jobs from a free ad.

Stump
04-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Yep, but I think the adds are only visable in India lol. Hey Dazz1, I was working your territory today and got stopped by 4 muslim people wanting mows before Sunday (end of Ramadam). I would get someone to make up a flyer in Arabic and stick it on a Mosque notice board next end of Ramadam. They all have big family feasts and want their places looking good.

South East Mowing
04-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Lots of advice on the forum. Challenge is to sort through what will work for you.

You will notice a better whipper straight away. The edging always takes longer than the mowing, so you'll find your using the whippy more than the mower.

Now who said mowing lawns is an unskilled profession?

When the edging takes longer than mowing and blowing using a handheld blower makes more mess It's time to call a skilled professional from Indy Mowing;)

Don't worry Woodsy you will get the hang of it soon - I mean when you realise your working for 10 bucks and hour it is good motivation to learn and QUICKLY! the whippy does take some time to master so practice it in all sorts of positions and with the blower just dont try to blow into the wind. Learn to use these two items effectively and quickly and you soon start to realise why people call the professionals to do the job!

Dazz1
04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Tell me about it, there next door!

Woodsy
10-11-2011, 10:54 AM
It is obviously a skill and I am sure that as I continue to practice the skill, I will get better at it. It is then that I will be able work more efficiently and earn a better hourly rate. And perhaps one day be worthy to class myself in a similar league as John in Wheelers Hill. I would expect it to take some time, and several lawns, before I can get there.

For the people just starting out, in addition to the mountains of practical advice available on this forum, by experienced professionals such as John, there is also some benefit in providing some re-assurance. Pugs maybe feeling apprehensive because he hasn't got the right gear. My comments were meant to offer an alternative until he is able to get the ideal equipment.

When just starting out, he is unlikely to have a full set run every day of the week, so he will have time to spend at each job. Use a broom to clean up, do the edges slowly and carefully. Because he more than likely doesn't have to rush to the next job, he will have time to ensure he does good job at the one's he does have. This will mean he is more likely to secure them as a regular customer. Over time, he will continue to work on the same lawns and continue to improve his skills.

I really underquoted my first regulars and the lawns ended up taking way too long to do. Over time, I have learned how to work better and smarter, and I can now do those lawns a lot quicker, without lowering the quality, than when I first started. The time taken to do those jobs is now also more closely in line with the price I get for doing them.

Another reason I take longer to do the edges than the mowing, is probably because the jobs I get are the one's that the "professionals" don't want. Feral clean ups. The "edges" take a lot longer to trim back than some that have been done 2 or 3 weeks earlier. As a newbie I am happy to do these jobs as they suit my work schedule, and it has a big upside. Whilst my hourly rate may suffer, it allows me to get valuable practice on the tools and techniques required to do a "professional" job. These skills can then be employed on the more upscale lawns that we all hope to work on.

In summary, get a great snipper because chances are you will be using it more than the blower. You might spend the first couple of weeks sweeping, but you will then be able to get a blower so you to can one day be a "professional".