PDA

View Full Version : Price Rise

S.P
10-06-2004, 03:03 PM
G' Day All,
Just wondering when would be the best time of year to increase prices, Spring, New Year, Financial Year etc.

Have any of you ever had any problems with customers re: increases.

What was the rate of the increases?

Did you lose any customers?

Cheers,

S.P

Tonyr
10-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Hi Mate,

Just noticed in your profile you gave no info about yourself or business, being as though we are all members of this forum helping and sharing info, it would be great to know a bit about you's.
nothing personal....just about your business mainly, where, what you do etc.

Please go here and tell us a bit about your world, it's nice to know something of the person who you are trying to help.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28

Mellors
29-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Looks like this thread got squelched right at the start.

Still, it would be nice to hear some opinions on this topic.

just john
29-11-2007, 11:15 AM
who's the member and who's the guest here ,a bit rude i think :confused:

twin_cities_lawncare
30-11-2007, 03:25 AM
With the latest hike in petrol prices, we're thinking a price rise in the New Year is likey for us. I'm sure most people will understand as we haven't done one for a couple of years, and petrol, etc, etc has been going up by leaps and bounds meantime. I hate going grocery shopping these days :frightene

administrator
30-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Price increases are required from time to time due to cost of living increases as you build your company your clients become friends .

Generally if you havent increased your prices for a while they may increase them for you

When you decide to increase the price do it anually if nessersary .

The clients that you may lose from the increases will be very low and if your established is very easy to pick up more and fill in the slot as you all know

Yes and groceries are becoming very very expensive and price fixing in this country is an epedemic .
The power of the people will have to unite b4 any change will come about '

And its 4.30 in the morning and i dont know what i am talkin about :frightene

worzel
01-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Go back to sleep Admin :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
What client wants their price increased :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Lawn mowing contractors are the last to be paid.
Christmas coming up -beer ,chocs,wine and cash bonuses yahoo :p :p :p :p :p

administrator
03-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Thats because you live in the wrong country Worzel customers become friends and the best friend you can Have is an Australian .I can tell you plenty of my customers had made the price increase happen for me TRUE STORY

Sandgroper
03-12-2007, 05:42 PM
I have plenty of customers give me a price rise, one old ladycompared her price with the lady next door and figured she should pay another $5,,,Jims was mowing next door and they are very good at quoting in this area, always very high :)

Thank god semi retired budget Joe Mow wasnot mowing next door,she might have said i am a rip off lol

lawn order
05-12-2007, 10:25 PM
re price rise.
I am as shy as the rest of you to ask for my just price rises.
when I started this glorious career the average lawn..
{front - back - nature-strip} a1 neat job was = to a box of beer.
A slick as cats**** on lino was = to a box of crownies.
It took a couple of customers to prompt me into a price rise.
It has rained.
It is spring.
Xmas is around the corner - Jims aint around.
Strike while the iron is hot.
Go for the premium beer prices!

holdenhead
07-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Price rises need to be done yearly around spring time as that is when the grass goes crazy and there is more work around than you need. I have had my run for 2 years full time and last year I didn't increase all my prices as things were a bit tough with the drought and I didn't want to lose any customers. This year I have increased all my lawns by a min $2 and some that were a bit low got a $5 rise. I have not lost 1 customer. There are a couple that I am increasing by a bit more after christmas ($10) but these are customers I'm not keen on anymore and if they accept the new price then great and if they dont then GREAT. I think somewhere between 10%-20% a year is needed. Cheers Rick

just john
09-12-2007, 12:05 PM
I found price rises difficult ,because all of my work was from word of mouth so when a customer would ring and ask if I could quote a lawn for a friend I would always ask if they told the friend how much I charge .IF not ok but if they did you were limited on pricing :wave-hi: :D

Lancat
09-12-2007, 01:56 PM
If you think it's time to put the price up, just put it up. I don’t care too much about clients talking to each other or them finding someone else to look after their lawn at a cheaper price.
If you feel your doing the job to cheap for a client you will forever hate doing their garden.
At the end of the day you need to make X amount of dollars to survive in business.

Lancat
09-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Do the Banks wait to the end of the year to put the price up?
Do the Petrol Stations wait to the end of the year to put the price up?
Do the Supper Markets wait to the end of the year to put the price up?
Do the Power Companies wait to the end of the year to put the price up?
Do the Butchers wait to the end of the year to put the price up?
Do the Hardware Shops wait to the end of the year to put the price up?
Do the Mower Shops wait to the end of the year to put the price up?

No No No No No No

So why should the Gardener wait until the end of each year to put his or her price up

Sandgroper
09-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Well i wait until the end of the year because if they dont like it, its impossible to get somebody else, unlike other times of the year, around here the lawns are looking they best in summer so thats when i increase prices, not when the lawns are looking at there worse in Winter.

bb1
19-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I started raising my prices in October for all my hourly clients, and am currently raising all my fixed price clients. Minimum price increase is 10%, so far I haven't lost any.

Only one exception are the PITA's, the day they upset me, is the day their price is increased. I have increased one of them 3 times this year and they still come back !!!! :i dunno: :i dunno:

lethal
22-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Raise your prices when you feel the need to...we have just increased our prices and so far the response has been fantastic...as for whether you lose clients over it, who cares? If they aren't willing to pay what the job is worth then they can piss off and I will get a replacement client who is willing to pay the price I request! Unless of course they are wogz or currie munchers lol!!!

On another note how did everyone cope with the Xmas rush???
I personally ended up turning my phone off as I my phone was ringing non stop over the last 2 weeks, I have 1 lawn to mow today then holidays till the 3rd YIPPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lancat
22-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Ring-Ring Ring-Ring
"Hello, I know I’ve left it a bit late. I’ve been so busy at work & home, but any chance you could cut my lawn before Christmas?
Oh you’re fully booked.
What about Christmas Eve, could you fit me in then?

My answer
I should be able to schedule you in somewhere before Christmas 2008

twin_cities_lawncare
24-12-2007, 12:08 AM
New Year will see a price rise for us, tied in with a change of name for our business. We have given our regular customers a bit of prior warning and none of them seem too fazed by an extra few dollars, so that's good. Getting more in the hand will certainly help cover the bigger outlays we have had due to inflation, these past couple of years.

ian
24-12-2007, 10:21 AM
if you lose the client remember this did you really want to work for someone who doesn't want to pay you what you think the job is worth and you can probably replace them with someone who will pay your price of cause if you can't it maybe because your overpriced

tomartomau
24-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Well I got the "the other lawnmower man" only charged $25.00. My response was maybe it is best that you ask him to come out of retirement!

Anyway finished work for the day... time to relax

Merry Christmas All
Regards Tony

administrator
07-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Hope you all have increased your prices by now . :wave-hi:

geoff
08-05-2008, 11:34 AM
i find it very conflicting the reports on lawn mowing contractors and what they charge and how much they increase their prices , in Melbourne a standards block simple mowing catching grass ranges from 25 to 40 dollars and price rise go fro a couple of dollars to 5 buck rise.... im charging around 35 dollars for a 20 min lawn and if they are bunched up well you get the jims buck a minute....
hurly rates for gardening also vary from 15 bucks to 50 per hour, so there huge variances , any comments sugeestions.....

63impala
08-05-2008, 03:49 PM
From $15 is a bit low my min is $25

mowjoman
08-05-2008, 04:45 PM
I have put a few up (only a select few though). With inflation rising the way it is I must admit I am wary, as a luxury of getting your lawn looked after will be up there with the first to go. I lost one a few weeks back with the guy saying he's going to start doing it himself with the interest rate rise. I do on the other hand believe that quality (i.e value for money) will win the day so we'll be right.
In Qld we have a government scheme called "Home Assist Secure" of which I have recently registered with. Up here they'll contribute an amount of money to the elderly or disabled home owner or renter for things around the home, i.e. Gutter cleaning, tree prunning, HP water cleaning slippery paths and yes...Lawn Mowing. $10 is what they contribute towards lawn mowing per cut so I have with some of my older clients told them of it and they've registered allowing me to put an extra $10 onto their price while keeping them paying the same. They have been very appreciative of this and understand why prices must go up (FUEL, Glypho, FUEL, Food, FUEL etc.....).
The ones I have increased were already priced too low for the reason of them being battlers and have stayed that way from when I bought this buisness. With any new jobs I get I'll price accordingly with todays prices and ask them, "Have you heard of Home Assist" and hopefully secure the client.
Sorry bit long winded but hope it helps...Not sure if other states have this scheme or not. :) :aus-flag:

geejay
08-05-2008, 06:54 PM
i will be increasing prices in spring on a few regular clients that need a price increase from when i first started out.

new ones on board are quoted a price,no hourly rates are quoted.with a bit of expirance now quite a few jobs are on the magic $1 a minute,it feels good to make good money on that odd one by getting the quote right.

quoting a price is good for the soul,hourly rates will make it a slog.

BLACK BEAR
08-05-2008, 07:56 PM
In previous years I have been wary of price increases but the last couple of years I have been putting mine up during springtime-usually early November. Clients who have been with me for 2 years get a minimal increase quite regularly now, as low as .50c per year but usually $1-$2 every year or two. I find they are used to many things going up around X-mas time anyway and find the small amounts easier to handle and many actually expect me to do it now! You do need to know your clients though as some are expect to treat the lawn mowing fella the same way out liberal government did with our lowest wage earners - like sh?? ;frosty;. I am prepared to risk it this year and change tactics a little as some clients seem to want a casual or on call service for a regualr price - seems some of then do not like reading the terms/conditions of regular mowing. All casual mows will rise by $5min and all on call mows will rise by $10min. That should sort out who really wants me to look after them or not :i dunno:
I put regular as 2 wkly in spring, approx.3-4 wkly summer, 3wkly in autumn and no less than 5 wkly during winter. I am predominantly in an area with little summer grasses. When no grass is growing I do something else that is needed for the same amount of time that I would be mowing - A REGULAR SERVICE :read_this
I will lose some clients which I never like to do but this allows me to build my GOOD CLIENT LIST and look after them as my good clients look after me. Dont forget it has to be a good year soon and when the rain does come there will be a lot more clients to pick up as things return to THE WAY IT USED TO BE :p even if it is for a short time.
My minimum mow is $20 however small unless it is next door to another client. Sorry for being like mowjoman too :wave-hi:

Bgs
08-05-2008, 08:10 PM
i find it very conflicting the reports on lawn mowing contractors and what they charge and how much they increase their prices , in Melbourne a standards block simple mowing catching grass ranges from 25 to 40 dollars and price rise go fro a couple of dollars to 5 buck rise.... im charging around 35 dollars for a 20 min lawn and if they are bunched up well you get the jims buck a minute....
hurly rates for gardening also vary from 15 bucks to 50 per hour, so there huge variances , any comments sugeestions.....

I like the idea of increasing my prices (who wouldn't) but it would seem to me that $35 is the average price for an average lawn mow on a regular basis and customers seem very comfortable with this figure would others agree with this?

Bgs
08-05-2008, 08:18 PM
In Qld we have a government scheme called "Home Assist Secure" of which I have recently registered with. Up here they'll contribute an amount of money to the elderly or disabled home owner or renter for things around the home, i.e. Gutter cleaning, tree prunning, HP water cleaning slippery paths and yes...Lawn Mowing. $10 is what they contribute towards lawn mowing per cut so I have with some of my older clients told them of it and they've registered allowing me to put an extra $10 onto their price while keeping them paying the same.

Hey Mojoman,

Thanks for the home assist tip I will look into this, I just had two elderly customers show me their sparkling eye burning clean concrete paths that home assist did I will mention that they may be able to get lawn mowing done as well. :wave-hi:

geoff
08-05-2008, 08:19 PM
great imput boys yeah i think u guys are on the mark....have to be careful on the price increase with things going up but we also have to pay the increase although we must remember many of our clients dont get price rises with their employees so we look at the client...
i know some contractors dont give a stuff a put it 5 bucks evry time...they will run out of clients and have none i reckon.....for the long run its a give and take..the customers that always take then teach them a lesson but most clients are good honest hard working or the pensioner who are generally priceless

mowjoman
09-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Here's the contact numbers for Home Assist Secure for all the regions in Qld. :wave-hi:

lawn order
09-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Rice prize?
I used to do it for free but now I have a customer that I pay $7 for every mow. She has convinced me that it is for my own good that she allows me to aerobic on her grass to get fit and live longer
I should pay.
I bet none of you have a customer that thinks that you have special privilidges to work for them.
Signed "Lawn Slaughter"

grasshopper
10-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I have put a few up (only a select few though). With inflation rising the way it is I must admit I am wary, as a luxury of getting your lawn looked after will be up there with the first to go. I lost one a few weeks back with the guy saying he's going to start doing it himself with the interest rate rise. I do on the other hand believe that quality (i.e value for money) will win the day so we'll be right.
In Qld we have a government scheme called "Home Assist Secure" of which I have recently registered with. Up here they'll contribute an amount of money to the elderly or disabled home owner or renter for things around the home, i.e. Gutter cleaning, tree prunning, HP water cleaning slippery paths and yes...Lawn Mowing. $10 is what they contribute towards lawn mowing per cut so I have with some of my older clients told them of it and they've registered allowing me to put an extra $10 onto their price while keeping them paying the same. They have been very appreciative of this and understand why prices must go up (FUEL, Glypho, FUEL, Food, FUEL etc.....).
The ones I have increased were already priced too low for the reason of them being battlers and have stayed that way from when I bought this buisness. With any new jobs I get I'll price accordingly with todays prices and ask them, "Have you heard of Home Assist" and hopefully secure the client.
Sorry bit long winded but hope it helps...Not sure if other states have this scheme or not. :) :aus-flag:

great info mowjoman. Will check it out, so I can try and pass that on to the old's I've got.

grasshopper
10-05-2008, 12:17 PM
In previous years I have been wary of price increases but the last couple of years I have been putting mine up during springtime-usually early November. Clients who have been with me for 2 years get a minimal increase quite regularly now, as low as .50c per year but usually $1-$2 every year or two. I find they are used to many things going up around X-mas time anyway and find the small amounts easier to handle and many actually expect me to do it now! You do need to know your clients though as some are expect to treat the lawn mowing fella the same way out liberal government did with our lowest wage earners - like sh?? ;frosty;. I am prepared to risk it this year and change tactics a little as some clients seem to want a casual or on call service for a regualr price - seems some of then do not like reading the terms/conditions of regular mowing. All casual mows will rise by $5min and all on call mows will rise by $10min. That should sort out who really wants me to look after them or not :i dunno:
I put regular as 2 wkly in spring, approx.3-4 wkly summer, 3wkly in autumn and no less than 5 wkly during winter. I am predominantly in an area with little summer grasses. When no grass is growing I do something else that is needed for the same amount of time that I would be mowing - A REGULAR SERVICE :read_this
I will lose some clients which I never like to do but this allows me to build my GOOD CLIENT LIST and look after them as my good clients look after me. Dont forget it has to be a good year soon and when the rain does come there will be a lot more clients to pick up as things return to THE WAY IT USED TO BE :p even if it is for a short time.
My minimum mow is $20 however small unless it is next door to another client. Sorry for being like mowjoman too :wave-hi:
don't be sorry black bear. like mowjoman this is really useful info. Even though I've been at it for a cpl years, it's always good to have a sounding board, just to keep you focused on the business. ;)

geoff
02-10-2008, 11:17 PM
now that spring has arrived ,well sort of down here in melbourne is it the time to raise prices . We have adjusted many at 5 dollars increase ( many over 2 =3 years since a rise ) but ive found new customers are trying the 3 weekly visit...we charge more of course but am i seeing a new trend or what :i dunno:

simo
03-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Yes 3 weeks seems to be slowly becoming the new regular in summer months pita.... ;dealers; and sometimes takes some convincing to get them to 2 weekly... :mad:

Scooby Steve
11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I can't speak for the rest of the country but if your living down here in Melbourne there has never been a better time than this spring to put your prices up. Growth is good, it keeps raining and customers are getting there confidence back and starting to spend money on there gardens again. If in doubt about how high you can go ask the forum you will be surprised with how much you can earn.

Fred's mowing
11-10-2010, 07:16 PM
This is the time of year we do it.
We refrained from doing it last year due to the GFC but things have moved on & our cost of living is increasing.
We,re being realistic with our increase, but it has to happen.
Cheers Dean.

geoff
11-10-2010, 07:24 PM
spot on ...theres not a lot of room for the customer to move,,,if you say price rise and they say " will get someone else " they wont..theres more work down here than gardeners...5 plus calls a day at present getting ga ga with the pressure as at 55 i need to slow down..but love the work lots and lots of it..i get better with more work and the dollars i can handle...
In twenty years i reckon this is the best...garden clean ups are a prime and its amazing the dollars u ca achieve...push the limits to find the correct price...but i do go soft on the pensioners ...just me:russ:

Fred's mowing
11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Geoff, you,ve got a great heart but be carefull & make sure its just the needy pensioners.
Some pensioners are asset rich, cash poor.
Ive known examples where the pensioner has passed away, the house sold, & the bastard relos that could,nt have given a rats walk away rubbing their hands together.
There is such a thing as a reverse mortgage these days, asset rich pensioners have to realise this.
Why should the Gardener pay & the relos cash in????????
You,ve been round long enough, im not preaching to u, but everyone has to way it up for themselves.
Cheers Dean.

ian
11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Geoff, you,ve got a great heart but be carefull & make sure its just the needy pensioners.
Ive known examples where the pensioner has passed away, the house sold, & the bastard relos that could,nt have given a rats walk away rubbing their hands together.
There is such a thing as a reverse mortgage these days, asset rich pensioners have to realise this.
You,ve been round long enough, im not preaching to u, but everyone has to way it up for themselves.
Cheers Dean.

i agree totally

geoff
11-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Cheers Dean.

true mate..but i reckon i know who deserves a break...have you watched the secret millonair , now i will state i am not there , never will be but i do get a kick when doing a special price for a pensioner..mate ive got these people on my books for over ( here we go again geoff banging on again )20 years , they in fact give me a pay rise , even when i dont expect it..what comes around goes around ...i get my big bucks from corporate,well to do and such but you have to give a little at times..pensioners are good customers because they pay every single time..did a quote for an office comlplex and they said 90 days before i get paid ...wont mention about doing something to your self in colurful language:knob:knob

South East Mowing
11-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Its always a fine balance, but you cannot be scared to ask for price increases! You just have to do it at the right time, within reasonable limits and justify it if necessary.

South East Mowing
11-10-2010, 08:05 PM
true mate..but i reckon i know who deserves a break...have you watched the secret millonair , now i will state i am not there , never will be but i do get a kick when doing a special price for a pensioner..mate ive got these people on my books for over ( here we go again geoff banging on again )20 years , they in fact give me a pay rise , even when i dont expect it..what comes around goes around ...i get my big bucks from corporate,well to do and such but you have to give a little at times..pensioners are good customers because they pay every single time..did a quote for an office comlplex and they said 90 days before i get paid ...wont mention about doing something to your self in colurful language:knob:knob

:whipitTell them they can pay in 90 day terms if they like:thinking, just pay you 1 now in advance!!

The Local Gardener
11-10-2010, 08:30 PM
:whipitTell them they can pay in 90 day terms if they like:thinking, just pay you 1 now in advance!!

John, then come do my lawns, lol....:russ:

South East Mowing
11-10-2010, 09:54 PM
John, then come do my lawns, lol....:russ:

:wtfOOOOpppppppppps maybe about 6 in advance!!:rolleyes: