PDA

View Full Version : Plants that make you cough

imoww
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM
At times, Ive noticed that i cough allot when cutting back a bush. Nt all the time. Last year once, Today again.
Any ideas???

Hustler
04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
worm wood makes me cough and splutter leave it to my ofsider

Bluey
04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Get stuck into some big clumps of sour sobs with a whippy. Bloody stuff gasses ya.

Bluey
04-11-2011, 07:22 PM
At times, Ive noticed that i cough allot when cutting back a bush. Nt all the time. Last year once, Today again.
Any ideas???

Do you know what the plants are your cutting. Maybe post a pic?

Jayk
04-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Get stuck into some big clumps of sour sobs with a whippy. Bloody stuff gasses ya.

oxalic acid me thinks bluey. i am the same. also suffer when blowing dusty areas too. thank good sour sobs are almost gone now for about 6months!

edbeek
04-11-2011, 07:43 PM
There is supposed to be Gympie Gympie stinging tree in an area that I mow. I don't know the plant, but was dodging a plant that I thought was it for months.

Eventually somebody told me it wasn't Gympie Gympie and to get under it and knock down all that damned kikuya under it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkTlaF1sP_A

happymowin
04-11-2011, 07:59 PM
wow that gympie gympie is scary

imagine brushcutting into a patch of that?

Redeye
04-11-2011, 09:10 PM
tobacco, marijuana, coffee

ian
04-11-2011, 09:15 PM
tobacco, marijuana, coffee

maybe you shouldn't be smoking coffee ;)

chevron
04-11-2011, 09:30 PM
tobbacina mesparkofolias, aka, ciggie stick

Bluey
05-11-2011, 07:09 AM
There is supposed to be Gympie Gympie stinging tree in an area that I mow. I don't know the plant, but was dodging a plant that I thought was it for months.

Eventually somebody told me it wasn't Gympie Gympie and to get under it and knock down all that damned kikuya under it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkTlaF1sP_A

Yep you don't want to get hit by one believe me. I got hit by a little one on the lower leg pig hunting one day. Leg swelled up like a balloon and the pain is unbearable. Had to go back to town for to visit to the doc. They did the waxing thing on my leg at the site and that hurt like s*** but no where near as much as the sting. My mate was in fits of laughter at me getting my leg waxed. Had to take 3 days off work and for years after if my leg went into cold water I could still partially feel the sting. And that was only a little one. There is a story of a bloke having a crap in the bush and wiping his bum with a leaf off one. Apparently he died. There are recorded cases of people dying after falling into a stand of them. Not to be trifled with.

edbeek
05-11-2011, 07:23 AM
I think there is a case or two of people suiciding in the early days as a result of the pain.

The plant I was avoiding was a climbing vine like plant with similar leaves, nothing like the real thing, so I felt like a bit of a goose when I found out.

I get sprayed with stinging nettle from the whippie occasionally. It can tingle for a while after, but not painful as such.

Stripes
05-11-2011, 07:40 AM
There are some plants that have little fine hairs on their leaves that collect dust, and when you go to prune them the dust comes up in you breathe it in. Ivy is probably the worst plant for this. Guarantee everytime I work near the stuff I go into coughing fits because of the dust that comes up. Even laying irrigation under it a few weeks ago did the trick.

bb1
05-11-2011, 09:56 AM
There are some plants that have little fine hairs on their leaves that collect dust, and when you go to prune them the dust comes up in you breathe it in. Ivy is probably the worst plant for this. Guarantee everytime I work near the stuff I go into coughing fits because of the dust that comes up. Even laying irrigation under it a few weeks ago did the trick.

I agree, spent 3 hours trimming ivy the other week and coughed all day.

Fred's mowing
06-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Yep, stripped many a double syory house where its been covered in ivy, even up in the roof tiles.
Shocking dust, gotta hate doing it in summer.
Your sweating, covered in the fine dust/root hairs & inhaling it!
Got one next week, creeping fig, nearly as bad, compliments of Scoob.
Hope it rains heaps a few days b4.
Not quite sure what his motives are?:laughing:
Cheers Fred