PDA

View Full Version : martial arts

Kathryn
18-11-2011, 03:48 PM
are there any other martial artists on this forum. the other half and i teach a karate based on shotokan. he's been doing martial arts all his life but i'm only shodan. it'd be good to hear from anyone else that puts down the mower so that they can go and get sweaty in the dojo:dance

Bluey
18-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I am a 3rd Dan Black Belt in Left Handed Drinking.

cadase
18-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Don't know about martial artists, but there's plenty of bullshytt artists

happymowin
18-11-2011, 06:31 PM

got that 10/10 cadase.

and i love your sig, im not F'd either,

ipen and ipaper and idiary for me

geoff1969
18-11-2011, 06:31 PM
are there any other martial artists on this forum. the other half and i teach a karate based on shotokan. he's been doing martial arts all his life but i'm only shodan. it'd be good to hear from anyone else that puts down the mower so that they can go and get sweaty in the dojo:dance

so do we refer to you now kathryn as , sensei or sempai ??????

ian
18-11-2011, 08:39 PM
that's me Grand Si-Fu of bullshot

South East Mowing
18-11-2011, 08:47 PM
that's me Grand Si-Fu of bullshot

Add me to that list! Grand master!!:shifty

PaulG
18-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I trained in Zen Do Kai for about twelve months around 1989/90 towards the end of high-school and really enjoyed it. Wish I had kept up with it but just had too many other sporting commitments/athletics, cricket training on at the time. Would love to be able take up something like that again but with my joint problems these days I'm just happy to be able to put my left boot on each morning!

Redeye
18-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I do kawasaki, v belt

courty
18-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd say thats a no Kathryn:rolleyes:
I've done a lot of boxing training at a boxing gym in brissie when I was working up there but have been very slack lately,never got into the ring to fight, only for sparing,must get back into it.

Andy B
18-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Yes, does oragami count?

Actually Tong Long and Tai Chi Chuan for 10 years, retired now. Miss it and the people I trained with. ;( Met some great people and learn a lot about life and people and how to move and how to live.

ian
18-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Yes, does oragami count?

Actually Tong Long and Tai Chi Chuan for 10 years, retired now. Miss it and the people I trained with. ;( Met some great people and learn a lot about life and people and how to move and how to live.
ah so praying mantis not grasshopper :cool:

Andy B
18-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Yes, but around home we used to call it "Who flung dung?" :D

PaulG
18-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Wang Chung??????

AJD Mowing
18-11-2011, 09:25 PM
My daughters boyfriend is a cage fighter (MAD) he does mixed martial arts but jujitsu is what he is good at. It is suprising because he has a very gentle nature outside the ring or cage.

Fred's mowing
18-11-2011, 09:29 PM
What kung fu that? (its an old joke).
Cheers Fred.

Andy B
18-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Wang Chung??????

Everybody wang chung tonight!

PaulG
18-11-2011, 09:33 PM
^ That's the one!

PaulG
18-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Wow. Takes me back to the Grade 8 Friday night socials with the girls' schools!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoXu6QmxpJE

courty
18-11-2011, 09:39 PM

Damn that was a ****house time in music

PaulG
18-11-2011, 09:43 PM
It was a 'different' period to say the least but gees I've got some good memories from it! Their names were Maria, Jody, Greer, Christie, Kerri, Belinda & Claire :laughing: .

There were a few others who shall remain nameless...

Andy B
18-11-2011, 09:46 PM

And before you discovered girls you were probably laying some cardboard down and doing some really cool break dancing moves. Like me. :)

PaulG
18-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Andy you are my brother from another mother!

Andy B
18-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Andy you are my brother from another mother!

Good times, still makes me laugh, and that's what it was all about back then having a good time. Did you ride your BMX down stairs and call yourself BMX Bandits? lol

PaulG
18-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Yep! Did all that stuff. We used to have a big empty paddock down the street from home but there were heaps of piles of dirt all dumped back to back in a big line. That was the best straight line BMX track ever. Still got the old bike in the shed waiting to be welded back together and restored for my boys when they're big enough!

It's brand could be a martial art name too! - Kashimax

PaulG
18-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Did you have a lay-back seat post Andy?

Bgs
18-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Did you have a lay-back seat post Andy?

And did you have Tuffs?

PaulG
18-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Always wanted some but never got them. Just spoked rims for me :doh Did have some cool red-anodised brake levers and calipers though!

Kathryn
19-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Yes, but around home we used to call it "Who flung dung?" :D
according to some mates i used to practise 'dim sum'. we only just started out latest club a few months ago and the first grading is tomorrow. its very exciting. and in december we're going to the gold coast to watch the NAS national finals. considering competeing next year, more for the experience than anything else. sure to get my arse whipped as i'll have to go straight into the senior categories but of well.

Kathryn
19-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Damn that was a ****house time in music
must have been an australian band! dont remember anyhing this bad in the uk

Back to Basics
19-11-2011, 06:51 AM
I work with a guy that is so high up in his martial art he has to go overseas to get graded further and trained! To look at him you would think he is a fragile little petal but supposedly he can rip you head off by just looking at you, all before you have even felt it!

Kathryn
19-11-2011, 06:55 AM
we're deceptive. with my coordination you would think i couldnt achieve any kind of grade!!!!!! the other half is like that. looks like a totallt average guy but he is very good at flooring thugs in shopping centres before they have even realised what happened. wish i could do ju jutsu like that!

Redeye
19-11-2011, 08:07 PM
must have been an australian band! dont remember anyhing this bad in the uk
consider yourself lucky

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
20-11-2011, 01:58 AM
One of my unrelated brothers fort tonight in Brace for war. 11 years as a bouncer picked up bits of jiu jitsu, judo, akido but never actually went into a dojo as i thought in a court of law its just another thing to use against me. I did at the beggining of the year give a few of the idiots in blue shirts a run fr there money which they thought they would accuse me of knowing martial arts. any way after the fights tonight im half thinking about it but when i sober in the morning im sure those thoughts will dissapear. Im not a good fighter but i have seriously hurt some title holders, black belts and forth dams over the years.

Kathryn
20-11-2011, 07:29 AM
One of my unrelated brothers fort tonight in Brace for war. 11 years as a bouncer picked up bits of jiu jitsu, judo, akido but never actually went into a dojo as i thought in a court of law its just another thing to use against me. I did at the beggining of the year give a few of the idiots in blue shirts a run fr there money which they thought they would accuse me of knowing martial arts. any way after the fights tonight im half thinking about it but when i sober in the morning im sure those thoughts will dissapear. Im not a good fighter but i have seriously hurt some title holders, black belts and forth dams over the years.

yer. i dont claim to be the ultimate warrior! street fighting and any form of organised competition are totally different because of one thing : rules! i had a problem with UFC when it first made it big as they were calling it the only real fighting etc but the way i see it, if its in a ring of any type and its got any rules then how can it be?
if i compete next year it'll be non contact anyway. black eyes just arnt a good look ( they still happen though). but if i ever move to an area where there is a contact style karate, say kyokoshin i'd like to try it for the experience.

its the clubs first grading this morning. i've got a heap of certificates to calligraphy.

63impala
20-11-2011, 09:41 AM
My mate was toght how to throw things how would you stop a opject be thrown by a stilled operator even if you are a ninja Bein???

Kathryn
20-11-2011, 11:17 AM
we dont stop things. we get out of the way!:scared

63impala
20-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Yes that is true.. My best mate in Darwin who drives M1a2 abram tanks every time I talk to him he looks ruffed up Iam like dont they teach you finghting skills..Hes like why do I need to fight when i got 120mm..So true there brother

Andy B
20-11-2011, 02:21 PM
And did you have Tuffs?

Yes and Yes, well sort of I had a set of Alloy Spider Tuffs on my first BMX. Buckled the front one when the tyre blew and I hit a traffic island at speed, so after that it bobbed up and down like a mo fo. lol Current bike has spokes, and foot pegs, not that I use them or it very often. I see the kiddies these days run really small cogs these days and no brakes...crazy. Oh the undies that are a about a foot higher than their pants never touch the seat. :)

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
20-11-2011, 07:39 PM
In relation to the post here is a video from round 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ev5U6iqrCY&feature=feedu

My mate jarred is in the black shorts

jimrtl81
20-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Good on your brother for getting in the cage, but why fight mma if he doesn't train?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
21-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Good on your brother for getting in the cage, but why fight mma if he doesn't train?

I think you read my post wrong. I have never trained. Jarred did judo for a while then he stopped cause he started putting weight on he started going to a mma gym and after about going for just under a month some fighter pulled out of a fight and he took the fight to make up numbers. he got beaten pretty quickly in that fight as his cardio was not up to it. This was his second fight although he has been training since the last fight he was given this fight with only 4 weeks notice and he dominated the first and second round but on the third round he tripped over and ended up jammed between the cage and a 115kg fighter on his chest.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
22-11-2011, 08:32 PM
I did shotokan Karate for all of about 2 months when I was 15 but ended up in juvy jail because my old man was a violent peice of ****e and I decided to fight back, ended up breaking his nose and copped a couple of months locked away for being uncontrolable. :confused: needless to say that was the end of that.

Kathryn
23-11-2011, 06:51 AM
we've had a few kids come through our classes where you can tell that something isnt right at home. its very sad. in our last club up north we helped a teenager after he turned up at our place bashed by his dad. i took him up the hospital and told him that if he wanted the beatings to stop he should tell the doctor the truth of what happened. the kids ended up in care. but thats another situation in itself isnt it.

Andy B
25-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Speaking of kids, we had a young guy, used to get picked on, pushed around humiliated etc he'd had enough so he contacted our principle and went every where he went and learn heaps and heaps. When he got back to school the bully's noticed his changed demeanor straight away and didn't bother him again. I'm sure they must of thought about having another go at him but knew who was going to win before it happened.

And btw for those who think you're to old or too young to start something like martial arts that's absolute bollocks I've met a few oldies who could throw you across the room. Remember martial arts is not all about competition and being able to beat the crap out of someone that's just a by product, it's more about fighting your own inner limits and freeing up the self you really can be.

Kathryn
26-11-2011, 09:31 AM
couldnt agree more andy. the only person you compete with is yourself. as a person that has always been crap at sport i have found it to be so great for my confidence. anyone can do it they just need to try. i truly believe that by (especially) the girls having that bit more confidence in themselves makes them so less prone to attracting the attention of a an attacker.
we went to okinawa a few years ago and went to the okinawan karate museum that is run by a goju 10th dan. as the 10th dan in the school we were training with was also there this goju mster saw it as a chance to demonstate his art not just to us. my other half spent about 1/2 an hour getting sent everywhich direction (and then the floor) by this master who often used only 2 fingers. pete had some great bruises the next day. doubt we will ever get the chance to train with people of that calibre again. it was awesome and the okinawans are a beautiful people.
getting preyyt excited about going to see the national finals in the NAS tournaments on the 4th. perfect timing as we have a kid free weekend in brissie planned anyway and can now just pop down to the gold coast to see it

Speaking of kids, we had a young guy, used to get picked on, pushed around humiliated etc he'd had enough so he contacted our principle and went every where he went and learn heaps and heaps. When he got back to school the bully's noticed his changed demeanor straight away and didn't bother him again. I'm sure they must of thought about having another go at him but knew who was going to win before it happened.

And btw for those who think you're to old or too young to start something like martial arts that's absolute bollocks I've met a few oldies who could throw you across the room. Remember martial arts is not all about competition and being able to beat the crap out of someone that's just a by product, it's more about fighting your own inner limits and freeing up the self you really can be.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
06-12-2011, 08:03 PM
CHECK THIS OUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VDYMBaqh1lo

Kathryn
07-12-2011, 09:12 AM
nothing is stopping that fella

Kathryn
01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
grading about 15 students today. hope they dont get too nervous and forget everything!

yard smith
01-04-2012, 09:29 PM
grading about 15 students today. hope they dont get too nervous and forget everything!

Hope all went well with the grading. They can be stressful, but that is part of the training.

Kathryn
02-04-2012, 06:48 AM
grading went well. we're only a young club so only junior levels. you into martial arts yard smith?

yard smith
02-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Pleased to here the grading went well. yes i am into martial arts a little bit.

MAGOO
02-04-2012, 08:19 PM
you got to love this move

http://gifs.gifbin.com/122009/reverse-1260528582_shaolin_monk_balances_on_2_fingers.gif

Kathryn
17-04-2012, 04:52 PM
i'm not the worlds biggest fan of UFC but this is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH7oRb5Knjc

Duke_LetoII
17-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Late to the convo, but I like a bit of Martial Arts. If you ever find yourself on the Gold Coast, I can send you to a great Kyokushin Dojo.

I've done Shotokan, and Goju.

Kathryn
18-04-2012, 07:07 AM
hi, we have a shotokan based school here in chinchilla. ill be on the gold coast next month for the next nas heat. kyokushin is semi and full contact isnt it?