PDA

View Full Version : What would you grow?

Mower Gaddafi
29-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm lucky enough to live on 4.5 acres, one benefit is I have a huge deep pit for green waste, no tip fees!
I also have about a quarter acre of good loam soil, fully irrigated with tall sprinklers that we just don't use. It's the perfect market garden, however, I am only growing weeds in it!

I'd like to get your opinions of what you would grow there to on sell to customers?

I could cheaply grow popular plants and trees that are common in landscaping and on sell them when doing light landscaping work with my clients.

I'd love to hear your advice!

Dean

Kathryn
29-11-2011, 04:21 PM
propogating can be time consuming and make for big water bills. plus there could be the need for structures such as shade or green houses. how about the mature plant market. if you grow in ground costs will be reduced and whilst it's a long term investment you could make alot of money transplanting mature stock. how about seeing if your local shops or restaurants are interesting in buying local produce. i have a 1/4 acre to plant out too. but there is my:thinking house slap bang in the middle of it!

Kathryn
29-11-2011, 04:22 PM
how did that smiley end up there?

Andy B
29-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Xmas trees might be a good idea and little maintenance?

Stump
29-11-2011, 07:00 PM
I would use it to become as self sufficient as possible. I dump my grass on a property used for this purpose, and he grows everything, and alot of exotic fruits etc too. There is good money selling ornamental fish if you have water too.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
29-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Or lease the area to a commercial grower

happymowin
30-11-2011, 08:31 AM
charge other lawnies to dump clips at your place,

An ideas man, i tell ya

PaulG
30-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Cut flowers. Worth big $

Mower Gaddafi
30-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Water is no problem, I have a bore.
I was thinking more along the lines of plants I could recommend to my customers, eg:
"A yucca would look great there..."
Charge appropriately, high profits!
I just don't know what are common garden plants.

Stump
30-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I grow a few types of groundcovers which I sell to mine. Most people want to solve the age old weed problem. I recommend a 75 mm mulch layer, under a layer of living mulch. The trouble is getting time to look after them proplerly. When your doing 12-14 hour days during the growing season, the last thing you want to do is go out into the garden.