PDA

View Full Version : just bought one

dave hirst
19-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Got the black eagle with lifen motor off ebay for 183 bucks. been watching them for a while waiting for a good price.
Thought i would give them a go, to rent one costs 130 a day so if it lasts more than 3 jobs it wont be to bad

HPM
19-12-2011, 09:15 PM
got a link so we can see too...

Bgs
19-12-2011, 09:22 PM
link for me to please what is it?

dave hirst
19-12-2011, 09:32 PM
no link go ebay pressure cleaner, it is sold by marlinfish, black eagle 3800 psi.
i can never get those linky thingys to work

simo
19-12-2011, 09:32 PM
One of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LIFEN-7-0HP-3800PSI-HIGH-PRESSURE-WASHER-WATER-CLEANER-/130606142990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e68bb960e :noel
Awsome price Dave, should make you some money..

dave hirst
19-12-2011, 09:34 PM
thats the beast, we shall see

ian
19-12-2011, 09:44 PM
David when you want to post alink you have to delete the http:// from the link box before pasting otherwise you end up with http://http:// at the start of the link and it won't work

PaulG
19-12-2011, 10:05 PM
I've often thought about this as an add-on service but have never once been asked about it.

From what others have said about these cheaper units it's the quality of the pumps that you have to watch out for isn't it?

HPM
19-12-2011, 10:17 PM
i put out flyers to my lawn clients towards the end of the growing season and always pick up some pressure cleaning work over winter..

imoww
20-12-2011, 04:09 AM
How much does everyone charge for a steam cleaning gig?
example... A driveway

dave hirst
20-12-2011, 01:51 PM
dont know what they charge.
I need to do my roof, drive, back patio, bbq and outdoor setting, so i figured this would cost the same as hiring one. I shall time myself to give myself some idea on charges (if it lasts that long) and see how it goes.
but even if i just use it once a year at my place i am ahead.
dave

63impala
20-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Man i did the roof cums up sweet one of my buddies son was using one was stalling a bit but seem to do the job well....I bougt the 13hp honda and the pump went in it like after 5h know it a paper weight cost **** loads cam with 10m hidrolick line bouht 2 30meter to link toghter that 70 meter of line and know they stihl in pacaging but let us know how ur new toy goes....

dave hirst
20-12-2011, 05:52 PM
you couldnt send it back ? who did it come from?

63impala
20-12-2011, 06:27 PM
No you could not they where smart farkers you could not sent them a meassge thats a bada sigh with a bussiness must of had lots of conplants it cost a lot and yes a no name brand if i bye another one it will be a spit water....:madnoel

63impala
20-12-2011, 06:29 PM
This one but the sellar i got it form long gone hence...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-13HP-4350PSI-HIGH-PRESSURE-WASHER-WATER-CLEANER-TURBO-HEAD-HONDA-13-HP-/290647383571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43abef1e13

HPM
20-12-2011, 06:46 PM
It costs bugger all to run so I try to guestimate at about $60/ hr.
After a few jobs you get the hang of it. In winter you can afford to spend a little extra time at a job if you f...k up the quote...you soon learn how long it takes.

Bugga
25-01-2012, 11:23 AM
HPM I am not sure if you know about these guidelines. I sourced these from DECC ( Department of Environment & Climate Change. It outlines some of the requirements & fines associated with pressure cleaning in NSW. Hope this helps. Contact number for this group is at the bottom of this copy.

Pressure cleaners

Pressure cleaners use high-pressure water to dislodge dirt, algae, etc. from surfaces. Detergent or other cleaning chemicals are sometimes used to improve the efficiency of the cleaning process. A range of nozzles and attachments are used to direct the water onto the surface, including gurneys that spray water and skirted discs that glide over the surface.

More modern machines clean at higher pressure and therefore reduce the need for cleaning additives. More efficient machines use less water and can recycle and reuse water.

The information provided here does not address abrasive blasting/cleaning, which involves the addition of sand or another material to the water to physically remove the dirt. Some graffiti cleaning techniques involve abrasive blasting.

Issues of particular concern include:

•wastewater running into gutters and stormwater drains
•the containment and disposal of cleaning sludge
•pollution from cleaning additives, materials washed off the cleaning surface, and chemicals reacting with the cleaning surface.
Be aware of your legal responsibilities
Although pressure cleaners do not work from fixed premises, they do have to comply with a range of legislation. Review the Environmental legislation and compliance overview for further information.

On-the-spot fines of $1500 for companies and $750 for individuals could be issued under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (POEO Act) if you put anything other than clean water down the stormwater drain - even if it is accidental.

Make sure you're aware of the legal requirements before using, storing, transporting and disposing of hazardous materials (such as chemicals). The laws relating to chemical storage vary depending on the amount that you are storing. For more information contact WorkCover NSW.

Keep your knowledge of environmental protection laws up-to-date by regularly visiting What's new in law.

The drain is just for rain - What pollutants?
Pollutants that must never enter stormwater drains include:

•chemicals and other additives used in cleaning solutions
•materials removed from the cleaning surface such as moss, algae, grit, paint flakes, oil and grease (cleaning sludge)
•compounds produced as a result of reactions between the cleaning solution and the materials removed from the face of the building or cleaning structure.
None of these should enter stormwater drains.

Plan your work: 10 Minutes Well Spent
Before you commence a job check the following:

1.Are there any hazardous materials such as oils and lead-based paint on the surface?
2.Are there localised patches of dirt or stains that can be spot cleaned first?
3.Is there loose material that can be swept up first?
4.Can you clean the surface with water only? If you need to use detergents or chemicals, use the smallest amount to complete the job.
5.Test an area first to determine the make-up of the cleaning sludge – do the stormwater protection measures you have taken capture all the sludge?
6.Check the site drainage to determine which direction the wastewater will flow and whether it can be contained?
7.Can the wastewater (not containing chemical additives) be directed onto a grassy area or ground where it can soak in?
8.Are there any stormwater drains that require protecting?
9.Is there a risk of spray drift?
Before you leave the site, sweep up any cleaning sludge caught by your filters and bunds, and dispose into the garbage bin. Recycle chemical and detergent containers or return them to the supplier.

Roof cleaners
In addition to the checks above, roof cleaners should check the following prior to starting work:

•Check for lead-based paints.
•Spot test an area to ensure red oxides and other colour compounds are not washed from the roofing materials.
•If possible, disconnect the downpipe and connect hosing to direct the wastewater (not containing chemical additives) to the ground where it can soak in.
•When the downpipe cannot be disconnected: either plug it at the top and connect hosing to drain away the wastewater to a safe disposal area; place a filter at the top of the downpipe to collect cleaning sludge before it enters the stormwater system; or if the downpipe empties to the ground, place a geotextile sock over the end to collect the cleaning sludge. Use bunds to direct the wastewater away from the stormwater drain.
•Check if there is a risk of spray drift.
•Never pressure clean asbestos roofs.
Avoiding pollution
To reduce the risk of pollution through the use of water:

1.minimise the amount of water used by recycling and reusing the water. Use a wastewater recycling unit to clean and filter water so it may be used again.
2.If you cannot recycle wastewater, then direct wastewater onto the ground where it can soak in.

Detergents and chemical additives
Detergents, chemicals and cleaning sludge must never be allowed to enter gutters or wash into the stormwater drains. This includes 'natural' materials such as algae, moss and sediment.

To reduce the risk of pollution through the use of detergents or other chemical additives:

1.Use portable bunds to direct wastewater flow away from the stormwater drain - bunds that do not allow water to pass through are an essential item for every pressure cleaner as they direct water away from stormwater drains onto safe disposal areas.
2.Use a cleaning machine that recycles water.
3.Place a wash mat under small items to be cleaned and collect wastewater.
4.Direct wastewater containing detergents (not chemicals which can kill grass and pollute groundwater) onto the ground where it can soak in.
5.Use portable drain filters and sediment pillows to filter water before it enters the drain - these should be placed in or next to stormwater drains to catch any sediment from the washing process. After completing the job, cleaning sludge should be collected and disposed of into the garbage bin.
6.Carry a spill response kit to clean up chemical or detergent spills - no matter how careful you are, accidents do happen - so be prepared and carry a spill response kit. This can be as simple as sand or kitty litter to soak up chemicals, a brush and dustpan to sweep up, and a bag to package the material for safe disposal.
7.Ensure detergents, chemicals and waste materials are stored and handled where spillages cannot cause stormwater pollution (i.e. away from drains).
8.Make friends with your cleaning supplier - a good cleaning equipment and chemical supplier will keep you informed about the newest and best cleaning products and equipment. Newer equipment designs not only reduce the time taken to complete a job, but also reduce water consumption.
9.Biodegradable detergents - although biodegradable products are less damaging to the environment, runoff containing these products must not be allowed to enter stormwater drains. Use biodegradable alternatives wherever they are available.
10.Natural products are not always harmless, many 'natural' products are highly toxic. Follow the same guidelines for natural products as for other products.
Further information
•DECC Environment Line on 131 555
•Yellow Pages under 'Oil & Chemical Spill Recovery & Dispersal'

HPM
25-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Great info for everyone with a hose in their hand. Most important being the drain is for rain.
Just a few simple steps can save a lot of environmental issues and $1500 bucks...

simo
25-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Great info Bugga, Does anybody know what to use as a sediment filter Homemade peferably ? And legal..

Bugga
25-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks Simo just dont want anyone to be caught out. Council rangers are always on the prowl.

I use shadecloth with very fine holes to put over drain entry points & hold that in place with sand bags, like a dam effect. The material that is caught in the shadecloth can then be removed.

When I spoke to DECC they said they would also like to see ( But not mandatory ) witches hats around bunds (sand bags ) & safety signs ( Roadwork ahead or workman ahead) at a suitable distance before the work site.