PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Christmas leftovers

Mrs HMS
29-12-2011, 06:59 PM
I have been trying out some recipes to get rid of the mass of ham and turkey we have left after Christmas. We don't do seafood because I have a major allergy to it which sucks because I really like lobster and prawns but don't like having to hit myself with the Epi-pen afterwards,

Anyway this was today's lunch...

Ham and Corn Fritters

Ingredients (serves 4)
250g vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
Olive oil, to drizzle
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbs caster sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup (80ml) milk
1 cup (180g) finely chopped leg ham
420g can corn kernels, rinsed, drained
1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
6 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tbs chopped chives
Sunflower oil, to shallow-fry
Rocket, sour cream and sweet chilli sauce, to serve

Method

Preheat the oven (we used the BBQ) to 180°C. Place the tomatoes on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 5 minutes or until starting to split.

Meanwhile, sift flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt into a bowl with the sugar. Beat the egg and milk in a jug until well combined. Add to the flour, then stir until you have a smooth batter. Add the ham, corn, capsicum, spring onion and chives, then stir to combine. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Heat 2cm oil in a frypan over medium-high heat (we just did ours on the BBQ and they turned out fine). Using a heaped tablespoon of batter for each fritter, add 3-4 spoonfuls to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden. Keep warm while you repeat to make 12 fritters in total. Serve with the tomatoes, rocket, sour cream and chilli sauce.

These were a winner with everyone...especially the kids who are renowned for being finicky eaters.

Redeye
29-12-2011, 07:31 PM
mmmmm!! sounds yummy

urbanpatch
29-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I have been living on toasted cheese, ham and turkey sandwiches with cracked pepper. Still love them, I love christmas left overs.