PDA

View Full Version : I'm in!

whitty
03-01-2012, 12:57 PM
G'day,

Just thought I would introduce myself, I'm 29 married with 2 kids and considering becoming a lawny. I just spent my week off trawling through the forums and learning a lot. Who knew you were meant to mow lawn more than 5 times a year? :i dunno: Though it did remind me that dad seemed to get the scott bonner out a lot when I was a kid but he's older and the lawn has spread so he uses a ride-on now.

I have about half an acre of different weed patches, some meant to be lawn but were in bad shape when I got here (and my previous attempts at revival were ill-informed) and some are just weeds that I mow to keep the council off my back, so I've got some practice areas before I unleash myself on people expecting me to know things. I'll be sure to ask plenty of questions and apologise if I resurrect old threads for clarification.

I'm currently working as an electrical T/A in construction locally (good job, great money but finishing end of march at this stage), but planning to start part time as I work night shift and get out of bed at lunch time each day. Before this I was a distribution linesman working for the power company but got fed up with the rubbish you put up with. I'm also a qualified nerd but apart from my small IT business I've not used my degree since I got it in 2005. My current equipment list consists of an 18" rover, 2.5 bent shaft trimmers, 15L backpack sprayer and dad's old rusty trailer. Obviously I expect to buy new gear but I'm not sure about spending 2k+ on a mower and brushy in the hope it works out, I guess if I do and it doesn't then I end up with a decent mower and brushy to keep my weeds in check so it's not all bad.

I'd like to thank Dean and everyone who has contributed to this forum for the help you've given me already and will most likely provide in the future.

Cheers.

63impala
03-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I thought dean only talked to members u dont pay the coin he dont wanna know yah I thiught...

simo
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Mate don`t go in half harted, you seem to think that it may not work.. The way i see it is that you go in unsure if it will work then don`t bother you`ve already failed..its a tough industry its all or nothing..make a plan and stick to it give your self some confidance.. have a chat to some local lawnies (very important and not just about $$) So that you don`t get disapointed its no walk in the park..just my opinion good luck and welcone :welcome

Mrs HMS
03-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I disagree with Simo (respectfully). I know quite a number on here who, for various reasons started part time and then moved to full time and it worked well for them. That's the beauty of doing what suits your personal circumstances best and moving at a pace you are comfortable with.

With little kids I can understand wanting to make sure you still have some income coming in because when you first start out, you can be lucky and hit the target straight off or you can find it slow going. Do what works for you but have confidence in yourself. If money permits, get decent equipment (get rid of those bent shaft whippy's - OK for backup but you don't want to be using them all day). Equipment has to be reliable as they ARE the tools of your trade and without them you simply can't work (especially starting out when you are unlikely to have a backup for everything).

Try and find a local indi who wouldn't mind you tagging along, knowledge picked up by actually seeing and doing can't be obtained anywhere else.

simo
03-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Sorry i didn`t mean go in full time by allmeans work at it as slow as you want, but do it knowing that this is what you want to do not just maybe..the maybe`s generally don`t last the distance..
I also started part timer and as a week end warrior with a borrowed rover pushie/ryobi and a rusty trailer set up but i knew this was what i wanted to do..

Bluey
03-01-2012, 10:04 PM
You need to ask yourself a few questions

1. Am I fit enough and can I handle getting fit in a hurry
2. Am I willing to learn from the real old hands on here. (Not me I am a newbie)
3. Am I ready to commit good money into the game. Don't go in half cocked. Have reasonable gear to start off with. Doesn't have to be a Stihl .....somebody hold Impala down for a while please.
4. Do I have the passion to succed at my business
5. Am I prepared to work long hours to get there
5. Do you beleive lawn mowing is an art not a chore
6. Can you have passion for you chosen game
7. Can your work hard...really bloody hard...in the heat or the wet
8. Can you learn how to be a mower mechanic and any other mechanic that is required
9. Can you support yourself in the lean times
10. Can you learn how to do your books

Bloody hell that was 10 without trying there are hundreds more. Point is part time or full time you have to be dedicated

fairdinkum
04-01-2012, 05:24 AM

2. Am I willing to learn from the real old hands on here. (Not me I am a newbie)
3. Am I ready to commit good money into the game. Don't go in half cocked. Have reasonable gear to start off with. Doesn't have to be a Stihl .....somebody hold Impala down for a while please.
8. Can you learn how to be a mower mechanic and any other mechanic that is required

Bloody hell that was 10 without trying there are hundreds more. Point is part time or full time you have to be dedicated.....or "DO OR DO NOT! THERE IS NO TRY!" Yoda (Return of the Jedi ...I think)

63impala
04-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Yah i agree with 3 and 6....... but gardning is an art every one got there own style and the same with mowing it sets u abart from sh$t kicker to having passion for the game... I used to be that when I first started out money money but know I think if you can take a photo of a job a show others it means you done well if you cant dont bother its just average guy work...

ian
04-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Bloody hell that was 10 without trying there are hundreds more. Point is part time or full time you have to be dedicated

1,2,3,4,5,5,6,7,8,9,10 hope your more careful counting back change to the clients :) and i agree with your 11 commandments

Andy B
06-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Ian well spotted! I was so impressed with them I didn't even notice, good on ya Bluey.

I'm probably also one of the ones Joanne :wave-hi: was talking about, start however you want and like simo said you'll make it if your heart is in it. ;)

Good luck.

Bluey
06-01-2012, 08:36 PM
1,2,3,4,5,5,6,7,8,9,10 hope your more careful counting back change to the clients :) and i agree with your 11 commandments

lol...good pickup Ian. Can I claim it was a deliberate mistake,,lol. Must come from my cooking when it says to add 1 cup of red wine. 1 for the pot 2 for me.

Greenie
07-01-2012, 06:22 AM
I was the same, When i first started i was only working 3 days a week because i didnt have the work, BUT i did letter box drops advertising in various places, and when i did a job a took my time and made sure it was good, hopeing this was enough to get me over the line,
where iam its very hard there is HEAPS of cowboys with crap gear, i spent the money and got decent stuff, i spent alot of money and im still spending, every week im putting 2 hundred a side for just equipment, but i know when things slow down ( Winter ) ill still have a good gear as the cowboys will slowly dissapear...
But u gotto enjoy it, I often sit and watch tv at night turn over to my mrs and say GEEZ i really think i made a good decision starting this business, Im a panel beater by trade and cant stand it any more!!! BUT iam very very happy now, YOU just need to find a passion Not just a means to make money:) :)
oh here is a pic of my gear i just took yestarday!!! I also have a ride on BUT i was too buggered to push it for the photo LOL

63impala
07-01-2012, 11:31 AM
That some good stuff u got there u like push mowers not a fan my self...Azz hase nothing get a job...Dont you have a ride on also?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
07-01-2012, 11:50 AM
I was the same, When i first started i was only working 3 days a week because i didnt have the work, BUT i did letter box drops advertising in various places, and when i did a job a took my time and made sure it was good, hopeing this was enough to get me over the line,
where iam its very hard there is HEAPS of cowboys with crap gear, i spent the money and got decent stuff, i spent alot of money and im still spending, every week im putting 2 hundred a side for just equipment, but i know when things slow down ( Winter ) ill still have a good gear as the cowboys will slowly dissapear...
But u gotto enjoy it, I often sit and watch tv at night turn over to my mrs and say GEEZ i really think i made a good decision starting this business, Im a panel beater by trade and cant stand it any more!!! BUT iam very very happy now, YOU just need to find a passion Not just a means to make money:) :)
oh here is a pic of my gear i just took yestarday!!! I also have a ride on BUT i was too buggered to push it for the photo LOL

Whats the one with a red base??

63impala
07-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Big bob or super swift.

PaulG
07-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Greenie how does the SP Honda lookalike go? Any problems with it so far?

Greenie
07-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Mate no problems at all, im most happy with it, everything on it is genuine honda, even the gear box. only difference are very small, but basically the same thing.

ian
07-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Greenie how does the SP Honda lookalike go? Any problems with it so far?

Mate no problems at all, im most happy with it, everything on it is genuine honda, even the gear box. only difference are very small, but basically the same thing.
and of cause you will know if the gear boxes are genuine if they last more than 9 months http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?10482-Self-propel-not-working-on-nine-month-old-honda-216 :laughing:

simo
07-01-2012, 07:44 PM
He was hoping nobody would notice :p

simo
07-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I`d buy one i think there on par with the genuine honda product these days ........

ian
07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I`d buy one i think there on par with the genuine honda product these days ........
do you think Honda have improved that much :cool:

Redeye
08-01-2012, 12:13 PM
hardly a good recommendation :FU

simo
09-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Re phrase that.. on par with talon too

Greenie
09-01-2012, 12:59 PM
There is no difference in the running gear on the Honda"s and MY chonda,BUT having said that I would not buy a genuine Honda until they fix all the bugs up...

whitty
09-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've sent off business name rego today and have my first job this arvo, my wife's friend. I said I'd come and quote it (she wanted $/hr like the other person she had) but she said just do it and let her know.

Are the chondas worth looking at? do they have any warranty at all or would it just be a headache if something was to go wrong with them? I was considering just getting a push mower but I'd rather 21" than 19" (bigger is better right? :))

PaulG
09-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Once you've used a larger SP mower you'll never go back to a smaller push-mower unless out of necessity.

Greenie
09-01-2012, 03:32 PM
i got 6 months warranty on the gearbox, and i got i think 12m for the rest, Yes they are worth a look!!!!

I started off with just a 21"SP But after 2-3 weeks i quickly learned it is TOO big in most situations, and then i bought a 19" pushie to do the smaller jobs:) i love this combination:) I found if i use the 21" on small jobs i have to wipper snipp a bit more, But each to their oun:) i dont mind poushing then from time to time!!!
then i bought the big bob about 2 months later:) as this comes in handy BIG TIME!

whitty
09-01-2012, 04:15 PM
First job done, not too bad. When I first pulled up a bloke walked past and said "Cushy job that one eh" but I'm not sure he's mowed a lawn before.

I've learned that bigger line isn't better if it doesn't feed through the bump head properly but is still a lot nicer than the thin stuff. I also learned that looks can be deceiving as I found the water meter and a few other things that must have been mowed over previously. I took my time to get it right but still managed to do it 20mins quicker than I was told the previous lawny charged for, so they should be happy with the price.

I think a decent brushy may help me more than a new mower, time to dig into the pocket either way.

Greenie
09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
mate, It doesnt matter how long it takes u when u first start, Making sure the customer is happy will defiantly mean you will be back!!Each lawn u will learn something new!
when u think u have finished whipper snipping just take a walk through the jumgle u will always find something else to whipper snip, just take ur time and enjoy remember this is your profession now!!