PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Brissy moving to where the big bucks are (Melbourne)

petethemowerman
03-01-2012, 04:28 PM
HI All Pete here , I have used this site to gather heaps of very usefull information and am preparing to hit Melbourne by storm Even bringing the Harley down just for the off days when its sunny. Cheers to all here and thanks for a great site.

Pete

Mrs HMS
03-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Pete, welcome. Where abouts in Melbourne will you be moving to?

MowerRob
03-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I would of thought Brissy would be better than Melb from what I have heard

Bluey
03-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Beats the crap outta Adelaide that is for sure. Would rather be there than here...sigh

ian
03-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Beats the crap outta Adelaide that is for sure. Would rather be there than here...sigh
now Bluey lets be nice I'm sure there are worse places than Adelaide if i can think of one i'll let you know then you can be glad you're in Adelaide instead of there it just may take me a while to find one :laughing:

simo
04-01-2012, 08:12 AM
HI All Pete here , I have used this site to gather heaps of very usefull information and am preparing to hit Melbourne by storm Even bringing the Harley down just for the off days when its sunny. Cheers to all here and thanks for a great site.

Pete

Yeah and you can still go surfing after lunch :cool:

petethemowerman
04-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Hullo again

We are relocating from Sunny Brisvegas to Tarafalgar and visiting melbourne each week for three days of the week in the Sunshine area. We are hoping to find clients preferably ones who dont have a regular service (so as not to upset anybody anywhere) from Traf along the highway ie Yarragon Warrugal Pakenham yada yada along the way on the hume highway into Sunshine. As we have seen from other posts we arent going to blitz neighbourhoods looking to steal jobs based on cut throat rates , rather we are looking for jobs that pay what is fair and just. Both my wife and I have been in business forever and arent newbies in thinking that a quick buck is a good buck. Rather we expect what I would assume everyone who posts here wants , and thats a good dollar for a good days work.
I have seen on other posts , a place where people pass jobs onto newbies but i cant find this post since seeing it , but will continue searching. We hope to find freinds and allies in this business and look forward to seeing this happen.
We are bringing our Harley down as well and look forward to maybe sharing rides with others in the game who also dont take life too seriously.

Cheers Pete

Dazz1
04-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi Pete,
you may want to do a little more research!
1. The none of the places you mention are anywere near the hume, the Hume runs north-south and your talking of travelling west too east.
2. Tarafalgar and Sunshine are both high unemployment and low income areas. Big Bucks?
3. your going to spend a heap on fuel carting your gear cause its about 2 hours each way off peak and you'll also need to pay citilink fees
Im not trying to put you off, but you may want to look at some other areas.

Darren

petethemowerman
04-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi Darren

Thanks for the heads up on Sunshine.

We will be dragging the gear in and out from Traf to Sunshine anyway as the trailer also does different work as a transport so it doesnt matter much about the tolls cause it pays for itself anyways.
We have been researching Melbourne suburbs and have found the more affluent (Disposbale Incomes) are on the way in.
Thanks for your reply and talk to you soon

Cheers Pete

TomS
04-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi Pete
Interesting business plan. I lived until last week in Mirboo North, 20 mins away from traf, and found it took a year to get 10 regular clients.. (This run is for sale if anyone is interested). Takes a long day a fortnight.. but I was working an additional three days a week no probs with on-demand mowing, tree work and rubbish removal.. so that kind of work is available.

I quoted at $50/hr which was at the high end if the other local lawnies weren't winding me up! you could quote higher closer to Melbourne I would have thought.

Traf and Yarragon are low employmnet alright.. but they are stuffed full of retirees. They are also dormitory suburbs for melbourne, so lots of time-poor wage slaves. I reckon you'd do alright. Pakenham and Berwick would have lots of possibilities I would think.

Don't worry about stepping on toes, as long as you are not discounting. In every small community a couple of the guys that mow retire every year( and someone else takes a package, buys a ride-on and takes it up.) The local guys will have the govt and commercial stuff sewn up but residential is open slather.

Best

Tom