PDA

View Full Version : Lawns need thickening up

Antic
04-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi guys,

Most of my lawns are on the coastal fringe, lots of sand under the grass, sometimes no soil at all, just the grass trying to gain a foothold.

I am looking at ways to thicken up the lawns.
I have been cutting the lawns a notch or two up to try to get them to thicken up and green up but I don't really think there's too much nutrient in the sand...

I am looking at something fairly cheap I can buy in say 10kg or 20kg bags that I could spread around each time I mow.

We have even resorted to spreading some of the clippings around to try to add some organic matter back into the ground......er.....sand.....

What would you guys recommend I can use to green up and thicken up the lawns, fast........

PaulG
04-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Mulch-mow if you can, i.e. if your machine mulches.

Also, use a fertiliser that not too high in nitrogen as all that will do is promote lots of leaf growth. What sort of grass is it by the way?

I have started using a product called Earthlife Lawn Blend - complete lawn conditioner and fertiliser containing minerals, trace elements, available silica and soil friendly microbes.

http://www.earthlife.com.au/

It's very good, promotes a lot of lateral growth which is what you need, and really boosts the soil condition.

Ask for it around your area or ring the supplier direct on 1800 819 003.
They're a local Toowoomba company so if you need any help let me know.

Redeye
04-01-2012, 07:31 PM
don't use a catcher as Paul said - mulch, also use organic ferts if you go that way, but mulching is the go. All my lawns are on sandy soil being by the beach, I only have 1 reg that i catch