PDA

View Full Version : lawn mowing as a job change

a.12912
12-01-2012, 12:44 AM
hi all.. had bookmarked this site some twelve month back and placed the idea of starting or purchasing a garden maintenance round on the back burner , wile i purchased a house and got married amongst other things... phu what a year

working in hospitality with a bunch of tools, annoying ones at that! and i'd like to swap my tools for some mowers.

something to get the ball roiling ... questions

1. franchise and which one, or fresh start up business.

i have enquired with a couple of local franchises, and so far

A, cant get hold of the the man in charge nor has returned my calls?

B, told me that the aria manager will call me in a week or two yet did so hours later and was very helpful and provided much positive information.

C, a little vague on the information provided and they seemed like they have something to hide ?

my present day situation lends it's self to a franchise for the invested ability to hit the ground running, there are many other advantages that i have considered amongst the disadvantages.

before this turns into a rant, or ramblings , any information would be appreciated, on the following

start up cost , equipment, insurance and such for independent
the hidden disadvantages and advantages of franchise versus independent
something I've longed to ask , why a Ute and trailer and not a big van?
and the book that gets mentioned worth the purchase

any way, early start

cheers for now

Mower Gaddafi
12-01-2012, 06:23 AM
Hi mate,

You sound like me a few months back, same questions. You'll find most members here went through the same motions.
To give simple answers, don't franchise, go independent, research and plan your business. Don't work you butt off to pay a franchiser who sits back doing nothing. My friend purchased a franchise, and yes, he hit the ground running, however he still wishes he went indy to save the $8-10k a year he pays in fees and all the BS that comes with it.
Get a ute. You don't want petrol fumes, clippings and rubbish locked in the same cab as you.
The book? Well worth it. It''ll cover most of your questions and concerns, for everthing else, you''ll find it in here.

I'm still planning and dreaming while I work my secure yet thankless job, so I can't give any experienced advice. What I can tell you is, the support you get from the guys and girls in here is brilliant. I became a paid up member before I was fully committed to the idea and I haven't looked back.
I regularly scour the forums and ask questions to research what I need to know before I get out there.
If your serious about getting in to it, shell out the $150, become a member, get the book and speak to Dean, you'll have all the answers in no time.
Just remember 'Businesses don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.'

Dean (one of many)

Dazz1
12-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Franchise is a two way contract so you also need to look at what they want from you! they won't give you all that info until after a formal interview and they decide to accept you then you will need to sign a confidentiality agreement and and pay deposit to get hold of a copy of contract.
I almost signed up with a large handy man group a couple of years ago until reading the contract and found it was really a project management bussines. They expected you to employ someone part time within 6 month and full time in a year and keep growing your workforce and use their recomended trade's people, so you had payroll and subcontracting ontop of your other cost for the next 4 years on top paying off the franchise and the monthly fees and the monthly group advertising levy.
At lest there is a legal cooling off so you can get out!

If you go indi you can always do something else if you don't like the way things are going.

Dazz

Scooby Steve
12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Franchise or Indi i dont think you'll go wrong either way.

Start up costs for Indi

Car = $20,000
Equipment = mower $900, blower $450, multi- tool $750, attachments $500 for hedging attachment, $250 for whippy attachment, gardening tools $500, sprayer $150, misc products 2/s, cord etc $200
Trailer (optional) = $4500
Advertising/website first year = $2000
Liability insurance = $600

I've finished my lunch so i'm back off to work i'll add more if need be later or others can add it.

Antic
12-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Ok, this is my two cents worth:

Firstly, buying a Lawn Mowing/Gardening business will give you great satisfacton, there's nothing quite like working for yourself and looking back at every finished job and thinking now that looks great.........job satisfaction is a great motivator in this industry.....and you meet lots of nice folks along the way.

There are really only two ways to go in my mind. I am not talking about a Franchise here as I personally think you will get over paying Frachise fees very quickly indeed.....

1) Purchasing a run with equipment included.
2) Purchasing a run without equiment.

I have done it both ways, the first time with equipment included. This was a great buy for me as I learned a lot from that about the equipment you need to operate a successful busness.

The second time I bought without equipment, but I knew exactly what I wanted.

Depending on your fitness level you may want to buy a smallish run,say 60 clients, this will give you enough to earn something and learn along the way, you can build it from there.I believe you will need about $2000.00 in cut value to kick you along nicely.Bearing in mind that $2000.00 in cut value will achieve you a lot more cause you will get trimming,hedging and other small jobs from a lot of your clients.

Lots of folks here can give advise on equipment purchases and so forth, I would say "do not" buy second hand stuff as the client does not care about your machinery issues they just want there job done.

Do your research and when you decide make sure you go out with the guy and mow with him, and meet the clients with him.

Scooby Steve
12-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Start up costs for Indi

Car = $20,000
Equipment = mower $900, blower $450, multi- tool $750, attachments $500 for hedging attachment, $250 for whippy attachment, gardening tools $500, sprayer $150, misc products 2/s, cord etc $200

I've finished my lunch so i'm back off to work i'll add more if need be later or others can add it.

Advertising first year i'd probably add a grand or too to what i said earlier as the more bases you cover the better off you'll be.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
12-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Mate If your determind to go into a lawnmowing buisness my suggestion is not to buy one but build one. I started with a rover mower and sthill snipper and my dads trailer and from there brought a blower than honda snipper than honda mower and now i have a nice collection of equipment i was actually quite surprised the other night when i wrote out the list for a tender i put in for. Trust me it is more satisfying at the end of the night knowing the buisness is built on your sweat and tears. even if you lost more money than you made for the day.

fairdinkum
13-01-2012, 04:53 AM

Start up costs for Indi

Car = $20,000

I've finished my lunch so i'm back off to work i'll add more if need be later or others can add it. Don't know where you get your figures from. But I don't think I've spent $2000 in advertising in 2 years. For someone just starting print your own flyers and do a letter box drop in a few selected areas and maybe run a small ad in the local paper for around $20 per week. Use what tools you have lying around, "borrow" off your parents, mates etc. You will soon find out what you need. I would suggest a self propelled mower ($1500-$1700 for a honda depending where you get it) an ok blower for around $300 and a good whippy (this gets used more than anything) for around $500-$600.

Stump
13-01-2012, 06:03 PM
If you live in Melbourne, my advice would be to start from scratch. Learn a bit about direct response marketing and get yourself out there. I spent around $900 all up on marketing, started up 10 months ago, and have been knocking back work for the last couple of months.

Scooby Steve
13-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Don't know where you get your figures from. But I don't think I've spent $2000 in advertising in 2 years. For someone just starting print your own flyers and do a letter box drop in a few selected areas and maybe run a small ad in the local paper for around $20 per week. Use what tools you have lying around, "borrow" off your parents, mates etc. You will soon find out what you need. I would suggest a self propelled mower ($1500-$1700 for a honda depending where you get it) an ok blower for around $300 and a good whippy (this gets used more than anything) for around $500-$600.

You would need to spend $1000 on your website alone, domain name $50, paper in my area your cheap add wont stand a chance so at least $50 a week so as i said $2000 or more for advertising to get you out there, stand alone whippy's r yesterdays hero's multi tool is far more versitile and not much more in price for what u get.

a.12912
15-01-2012, 09:12 PM
hi all again, thanks greatly for your inputs so far.

although I would much prefer to go it alone as an independent the advantages of being within the franchise framework have me leaning in that direction.... I've delved a little deeper, information sent and read and interviews have been lined up.

the advantages for myself are as follows (determined from the information provided so far):

if i get sick for any period of time my round is covered

if i wish to take time off for any reason or period of time I'm covered ( what do independents do here)

i always have someone to fall back onto for immediate advice and mentoring

immediate and regular training

access to cheaper tools, insurance and so on

hit the ground running

don't have to worry about advertising

the main disadvantage's are (although can be utilised as tax advantage):

out rite cost and ongoing fees !! and there is lots of them, with some outlined that don't add up or make any sense ???

would love some impute from someone that runs a franchise , someone new and someone that has pushed a mower for Jim or VIP for some time ...

cheers again, now back to trolling the forum

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
15-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Mate this forum is so that we help each other out is sick or going on holiday. There is alsoo advice on here and if you get our phone numbers we would give it to you immediatly. You will find every shop will give you cheaper tools and equipment cause your a independant contractor and if they dont the one down the road will. So your ionly advantage is the advertising but then you have constant fees.

fairdinkum
16-01-2012, 04:41 AM
As an indy you don't necessarily need to spend up big to get started. Just buy the bare necessities and built on it as you go along. When I got the ****s with my old job and walked out I went home and printed some flyers, went and got a decent entry level whippy and blower which cost me $600 together. I'd already bought a mower off ebay for $600 which turned out to be nothing but trouble....but it got me by for a couple of months. Anyway I delivered 400 flyers that afternoon and was mowing lawns for money the next morning. That was april. Used my tax return in August to get a good mower. And built up my arsenal as my client base grew. Almost 2 years on and I feel like the most difficult times are behind me. But anyway don't be afraid of the cost of going out on your own because it feels so good to be out there doing your own thing in your own time in your own way.

a.12912
16-01-2012, 11:31 AM
an update of sorts....

just spent a good hour and a half with a franchiser ..... the deal seems ok in theory yet the numbers don't all add up including the blindingly obvious fact that the company i dealt with has many fly by nighter's with franchise's lasting a rough average of two years !.

course for concern ... i think so

and on to the punch line, " you've all told me so" , independent is starting to prove much more favourable

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Mate if it sounds too good to be true than it probably is. Its much more fun building your own buisness. What do they want for a franchise? Go to your local dealer and find the price on 2 Honda or shindawa snippers(i prefer honda but been told shindawa are good as well) 2 Honda Mowers or Proscape mowers with speed up kit. (I have both and I am going to buy another proscape next mower round) A ztr I would suggest either a toro Grandstand or a dixon or walker. Dont go to big a deck as you need to fit in gates. Than a trailer for it all to go on and if possible one that can still take rubbish with the gear on it. I am in the process of upgrading my trailer. If you have the cash or can get a loan for all mentioned and its cheaper than franchise price your much better off. Contact your newspaper for the price on a add and run with that. Now is the time of year to start. oh and sign up with dean so you can go in the members only section for advice on prices and what not.

AJD Mowing
16-01-2012, 04:52 PM
hi all again, thanks greatly for your inputs so far.

although I would much prefer to go it alone as an independent the advantages of being within the franchise framework have me leaning in that direction.... I've delved a little deeper, information sent and read and interviews have been lined up.

the advantages for myself are as follows (determined from the information provided so far):

if i get sick for any period of time my round is covered

if i wish to take time off for any reason or period of time I'm covered ( what do independents do here)

i always have someone to fall back onto for immediate advice and mentoring

immediate and regular training

access to cheaper tools, insurance and so on

hit the ground running

don't have to worry about advertising

the main disadvantage's are (although can be utilised as tax advantage):

out rite cost and ongoing fees !! and there is lots of them, with some outlined that don't add up or make any sense ???

would love some impute from someone that runs a franchise , someone new and someone that has pushed a mower for Jim or VIP for some time ...

cheers again, now back to trolling the forum
Hi a12912,
I was in your shoes back in 1997 and ended up buying a VIP franchise. They paint a pretty picture but in my experience was not what they portraid it to be. I spoke to all the other franchisees at the pain in the arse meetings and the general conses was nobody was making money exept one guy who had 2 areas and was in the system for a long time. In hindsight I definatly would NOT have gone with a franchise as the only thing good that came from it was I learnt how to do the job as I knew nothing of this industry also how to run a diary and customer cards was invaluable. I had the franchis for 3 years I bought 60 customers and worked my bum off putting out flyers and ended up with 130 customers at the end but when I sold still came out loosing.

My advise to you would be find a good business for sale with long term customers and ask the guy selling if you can go with him for 1 month and meet the customers you will also learn the ropes in that month. You will see if it is worth buying and you could also ask the question that a condition of purchase is you get X amount of $$ per week during that month. As for your Advantages consider this:
Thanks to this unreal site I have met a guy who lives close by we have done a couple of jobs together and we are now helping each other out. I am having a holiday next August for 1 month and he will be helping me while I am away. If either one of us is sick we can help each other out for those wondering who this is it is "Bugger" as time goes by I am sure we will find a couple more people who will come on board and we can help one another. That should answer Q 1-2-3-4-6 as for Q 5-7 there is that much experience here with all the members you will get answers to any question including where to get any tool at a chep price. In regards to advertising get a good sign and some flyers to start then a website as I will be doing soon Bluey is the man in that department...

Hope this helps mate cz your at the cross roads and would hate to see ya go in the wrong direction :shifty
Dean

Greenie
16-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I couldnt agree More:) years agao i bought a truck and i was under contract to a company that took everything, they buggered my pay up every day they took my run off me as they wished., I had to pay for work i couldnt do, i did jobs for noithing and this was a franchise, i lost a heap of money and now the good times are comming, I will never enter another franchise again:) they suck u in and leave u too dry!! the only one that will make money from them are the owners, your just a muel getting the money in!
when i first started i had 1 mower, 1 wipper snippper and an edger, when i finished a job i used the whiiper snipper to blow down the paths :) LOL ( it worked) Now i have a ride on, 2 mowers, a blower, whipper snipper and all the attachments,chains saw, and a slasher ( Utility ) and I can wake up in the morning Knowing how much im going to make and finish when ever I want too:) I love it i love it alot, i just wish i had started earlier:) :)
AJD Mowing , Im in bankstown i can help tooooooo lol:) :)

AJD Mowing
16-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I couldnt agree More:) years agao i bought a truck and i was under contract to a company that took everything, they buggered my pay up every day they took my run off me as they wished., I had to pay for work i couldnt do, i did jobs for noithing and this was a franchise, i lost a heap of money and now the good times are comming, I will never enter another franchise again:) they suck u in and leave u too dry!! the only one that will make money from them are the owners, your just a muel getting the money in!
when i first started i had 1 mower, 1 wipper snippper and an edger, when i finished a job i used the whiiper snipper to blow down the paths :) LOL ( it worked) Now i have a ride on, 2 mowers, a blower, whipper snipper and all the attachments,chains saw, and a slasher ( Utility ) and I can wake up in the morning Knowing how much im going to make and finish when ever I want too:) I love it i love it alot, i just wish i had started earlier:) :)
AJD Mowing , Im in bankstown i can help tooooooo lol:) :)
Hi Greenie sounds good maybe we should catch up some time? maybe we can re schedule the Tradies at Gymea with Bugger?
Cheers mate :russ:

Greenie
16-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Yuh mate it would be great if we did:):)

a.12912
17-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Hi a12912,
I was in your shoes back in 1997 and ended up buying a VIP franchise. They paint a pretty picture but in my experience was not what they portraid it to be. I spoke to all the other franchisees at the pain in the arse meetings and the general conses was nobody was making money exept one guy who had 2 areas and was in the system for a long time. In hindsight I definatly would NOT have gone with a franchise as the only thing good that came from it was I learnt how to do the job as I knew nothing of this industry also how to run a diary and customer cards was invaluable. I had the franchis for 3 years I bought 60 customers and worked my bum off putting out flyers and ended up with 130 customers at the end but when I sold still came out loosing.

My advise to you would be find a good business for sale with long term customers and ask the guy selling if you can go with him for 1 month and meet the customers you will also learn the ropes in that month. You will see if it is worth buying and you could also ask the question that a condition of purchase is you get X amount of $$ per week during that month. As for your Advantages consider this:
Thanks to this unreal site I have met a guy who lives close by we have done a couple of jobs together and we are now helping each other out. I am having a holiday next August for 1 month and he will be helping me while I am away. If either one of us is sick we can help each other out for those wondering who this is it is "Bugger" as time goes by I am sure we will find a couple more people who will come on board and we can help one another. That should answer Q 1-2-3-4-6 as for Q 5-7 there is that much experience here with all the members you will get answers to any question including where to get any tool at a chep price. In regards to advertising get a good sign and some flyers to start then a website as I will be doing soon Bluey is the man in that department...

Hope this helps mate cz your at the cross roads and would hate to see ya go in the wrong direction :shifty
Dean

the more i research and read into the situation of franchising the more i'm turned away ! i've got one franchiser trying to sell me "snow and ice" as if i'm an Eskimo ! lol best of luck.

i'll use any knowledge of what they present in front of me and move forward with that.. all the tips and knowledge presented thus far to myself directly on this site has provided much incite and also encouragement to go it alone

i have thus far gathered from the franchisees;

there is excursively hi turnover of franchises , with an average life span of approximation 4 years

if you manage to keep going after 5 years the business would have cost you no less then $80k in fees and charges !!! that's $16k a year plus you have many other over heads..

cheers again

AJD Mowing
18-01-2012, 03:00 PM
the more i research and read into the situation of franchising the more i'm turned away ! i've got one franchiser trying to sell me "snow and ice" as if i'm an Eskimo ! lol best of luck.

i'll use any knowledge of what they present in front of me and move forward with that.. all the tips and knowledge presented thus far to myself directly on this site has provided much incite and also encouragement to go it alone

there is excursively hi turnover of franchises , with an average life span of approximation 4 years

if you manage to keep going after 5 years the business would have cost you no less then $80k in fees and charges !!! that's $16k a year plus you have many other over heads..

cheers again
I think you would be making a wise move going it alone.. That is a lot of money to pay, works out in excess of $300pw hoolydooly and they do that to people with out a gun LOL sure has gone up since I was in a franchise.. What made my mind up to get out of the Franchise situation was
1. I didn't seem to be moving forward fast enough to the amount of work I was doing.
2. I was at their pain in the ass meeting and listened to everyone saying the same thing "I am not making any money" then in walks the franchisor with 2 new franchisees then after introducing everyone he went on to say the fees were going up 5% (as they did every year) and he would be shrinking peoples areas to make room for more franchises. That was it for me the next week I decided to get out cz I was going nowhere.

Just to make you feel good in October 2010 (16 months ago) I got back in to Mowing but this time on my own with not 1 customer I know have 65 regulars and 14 casuals and guess what?? I am making money :D

Fred's mowing
18-01-2012, 03:38 PM

cheers again

I dont bag Jims & I dont bag franchicees.
Take it ALL in & use it to the best of your ability.
Many years ago when Jim used to do seminars to attract new franchicees, I went to everyone I could.
I learnt heaps about business (most would'nt have a clue when it comes to gardening) & I was appreciative.
I used to go there 4 inspiration.
After each seminar, I would come out with many new ideas, & normally increase my prices immediatley:cool:.
He stopped doing the semionars many years ago, so now I come hear 4 my inspiration:cool:.
It was easier 4 me as I come from a horticultural background, easier to sell my business to the potential clients.
Take it ALL in & make your own decisions.
Make your own luck!
Cheers Fred.

AJD Mowing
18-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Thats great advise Fred!! Take it in Make your decision then Make your own luck..

cmcfeeters
18-01-2012, 06:11 PM
My experience @ running a franchise. I ran a franchised lawn mowing round for 5 years in a country town in the north east victoria. I was the only franchised mowing business in that area competing with alot of backyarders and 1 large mowing business that had the contract through the council to mow the pensioners lawn they would charge the pensioners $10 and the council would pay them the rest.I found it very hard to compete, so in the end I had to charge less and pay franchise fees on top of that.As for support from the franchiser there was none, he lived 350km away and didn't care, if I had a problem he would tell me to contact one of the franchisees in another town which was 70kms away.So if I became ill and couldn't do my work there was no-one to take over from me. My round has been sold 2 times since I sold it 5 years ago. I believe in some areas franchisees make alot of money but in other areas they struggle. I enjoy mowing lawns more the second time round, I also run a Kwik Kerb business which has less support but no franchise fees. I am hoping to mow more lawns then edging in the future @ the moment it is 2 days mowing and 3 days mowing.

cmcfeeters
18-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Sorry that should of been 2 days mowing and 3 days edging. Also I paid $16500.00 for the franchise with no clients

PaulG
18-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Jims are doing okay here. There's only two of them vs about about 14 VIPs vs a couple of James trailers. Then there the rest of us, well over 100 Indies here I reckon with more starting up all the time.

Sunshinelawns
15-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Sounds like the same bloke that I spoke to from one of the bigger ones. Going out with him today to have a look at a couple of the franchisees and their setups.. I have already decided to go indy just going to check out their gear and equipment and pick their brains.....

keljad
15-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Only a tyre kicker at the moment myself here, but here is what I have learnt so far to help me make my decision. I have 2 mates in Jims, both turning 130-140k per year as solo operators, both second year in. Both turned 100k in thier first year, both have showed me the books to confirm all these figures. Both pay about $500 per month in fee's, and both have that much work they do not take any leads from the office, and in turn pay no lead fee's. I have one mate in VIP making about 70k per year, and one mate in James's lawn mowing who is going bust and claims most of the James's home service guys are struggling. The Jims guys both shelled out about 50k to get into the busisness, but they did buy all the good gear to start with (hydraulic tipper trailers etc etc). I think the franchise part itself was about 30k with 40 - 60 regulars each. Quite impressive, and both the Jims guys do not have any regrets and love it. The VIP guy is 12 months or so in, and loves it also, and the VIP was cheaper to get into, but I cant remember exactley. I personally have made the choice to go independant, so when I kcik it off, for the first year or 2 my hours are more flexible for the kids schooling. I do however have a buisness model which will allow me to expand after this to start building pagola's, fitting security lights and many other things including concreting and decking, which in a franchise, the restrictions imposed would not allow me to take this path and I would have to direct the work to other franchisee's in that type of buisness. Basically, the decision to go independant will allow me greater flexibiltity to expand on a longer term plan, where as I felt the franchise option, especially Jims, offered quicker dollars in the bank initially, and would be suited well to a person with a 5 year plan who maybe intended on doing something different at the end of that term. Thats just my opion, and an in sight into my choices and reasons why.

PaulG
16-02-2012, 12:10 AM
$520 per day x 5 days per week (assuming no weekends worked and no holidays taken) = $2600p/week

$2600p/week X 52 weeks = $135200

Possible I guess but as a solo operator when do they ever get a break?

I'd love to know the size of the lawns they do, how many they do per day and the average dollar value per lawn. And also what percentage of their work is gardening & pruning.

Despite how hard I work, and given my health problems and having to drop off and pick up the boys some days, the most I can do is about 5 (large) lawns per day, which even at my top-dollar pricing would only gross me $350 per day or $91000 for 52 weeks worked. I'm a long long long way from that still. Even though I do work every day I still classify myself as only part time with what I can do based on my health.

Those guys must be supermen.

Bluey
16-02-2012, 06:28 AM
It is market share. Jim's get more of the market due to their name and visibility. We are only small independent operators and as such our visibility is much lower. But if you target the right areas you can build towards that type of turn over.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Ive had days where ive turned over more than a thousand dollars but they are far and few between. I suppose when the winter comes and im doing mulching jobs there was one job where i did 19 meters of mulch. so that was 2850 in one day but i had to pay wages for two other guys and mulch so in the end i got 785 for the day Less fuel to travel there and back. so say 750.

Bluey
16-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Yeah those days are good and bad. Like you say after costs and evey thing it is a pretty good earn but hard on the body. If only you could do it everyday

keljad
16-02-2012, 09:10 AM
$520 per day x 5 days per week (assuming no weekends worked and no holidays taken) = $2600p/week

$2600p/week X 52 weeks = $135200

Possible I guess but as a solo operator when do they ever get a break?

I'd love to know the size of the lawns they do, how many they do per day and the average dollar value per lawn. And also what percentage of their work is gardening & pruning.

Despite how hard I work, and given my health problems and having to drop off and pick up the boys some days, the most I can do is about 5 (large) lawns per day, which even at my top-dollar pricing would only gross me $350 per day or $91000 for 52 weeks worked. I'm a long long long way from that still. Even though I do work every day I still classify myself as only part time with what I can do based on my health.

Those guys must be supermen.

Hi PaulG. Both these guys gave me the same advice - there was no money in mowing lawns, and the only way they make money from Lawns is to sell them back to Jims for the new franchisee's starting out. All the money is in other areas, which when I seen some of the quotes, I could understand why they dodge the lawns. Both Guys are working 0730hrs through to around 1800hrs 5-6 days per week, but take time off at there leisure.

In saying all that.............a franchise is never truly your own business is it?

Chris B
16-02-2012, 04:47 PM
looking at turnover isnt much help without knowing profit.. impossible to compare

Fred's mowing
16-02-2012, 05:18 PM
looking at turnover isnt much help without knowing profit.. impossible to compare

I agree, bottom line is what counts!
Cheers Fred.

Blaktop
14-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Well I just started out......I never considered a franchise as I've had mates who have bought various (non lawn related) franchises and no-one did any good. I ended up buying a running setup which included a '99 V6 Rodeo ute on gas, an 8x5 high side trailer, Stihl multi tool with edger, polesaw, hedge trimmer and brushcutter attachments, Honda 216D, Honda 35cc bikebar brushcutter, Stihl blower, new Ariens 42" ZTR and 40 clients (which has gone up to 50 in two weeks without trying) for $22k all up (around $1800 a round). One day I was doing meet and greet with the previous owner and the clients and the next I was making money.

I'm not making big bucks but that wasn't the aim. The aim for me was a lifestyle change. Always been an outside worker, spent the last two years cooking burgers in my wife's cafe (don't work for the wife, it sets a bad precedent....lol) and I had to get out. I drained the savings but owe no money and I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
15-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Screw the franchisers. I live in one of the biggest growth areas in Melbourne if not the biggest and a jimmy told me they are on a roster system and he didn't make a grand in a month last winter. To top things of I'm seeing more and more jimmies in the area. So much for having your own area.

BeetleJuice
15-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Right now Adelaide is doing it tough being so dry,not many people watering because water rate fees are so high.
Spoke to accountant yesterday asking how are the other lawnies coping,he said he had 2 clients and both are struggling to make an income.
Some rain would help us in lawns getting a boost.Most of my fortnightly cuts are now at 4-5 week cuts as a lot are nothing but dust bowls.

Interestingly the accountant mention there isn’t the amount of lawnies around compared to years ago.As a lot walked away when we had those 2 years of drought weather and water restrictions.

So for anyone new wanting to start up..Good luck,your going to need it.
But anyway that’s what it’s like for some of us in Adelaide. Struggling.

happymowin
15-03-2012, 11:27 AM
i feel for ya beetle,

thats what our winter and start to summer was like here in brisbane

over winter some of mine went up to 6 or 10 weeks between mows, like u say its a dust bowl, youre picking up 3/4 of a bag of dirt to 1/4 bag of clips

i didnt go to 2 week mows on most until january this year, a lot different from last summer where they were HOWLING for lawnies, and you could charge 50% more than usual.

thats why i always say to guys hang onto your pitas as long as you can - if it goes dry on ya those pitas could mean the diff between success and a JOB

hope you get some of our rain beetle (i am behind about 10 mows this week from the rain.)

cheers and good luck

BeetleJuice
15-03-2012, 01:06 PM
i feel for ya beetle,

thats what our winter and start to summer was like here in brisbane

over winter some of mine went up to 6 or 10 weeks between mows, like u say its a dust bowl, youre picking up 3/4 of a bag of dirt to 1/4 bag of clips

i didnt go to 2 week mows on most until january this year, a lot different from last summer where they were HOWLING for lawnies, and you could charge 50% more than usual.

thats why i always say to guys hang onto your pitas as long as you can - if it goes dry on ya those pitas could mean the diff between success and a JOB

hope you get some of our rain beetle (i am behind about 10 mows this week from the rain.)

cheers and good luck

“picking up 3/4 of a bag of dirt to 1/4 bag of clips”
Yeah your right about that,half of the lawns are weed so the weed dies off in the heat and what lawn there is goes off too.

We had a good down poor last night and may get some more rain next 24hrs which will boost the lawns a bit.
Once we get a shower or two every week then things will take off.
So at this stage i’m in no hurry trying to pick which coloured Porsche to buy.

Lawn Mowing Professionals
15-03-2012, 08:31 PM
So at this stage i’m in no hurry trying to pick which coloured Porsche to buy.

lol... go jet metalic black when things pick up.

you will be the quickest to do quotes in town!!!

Simmo.

geoff
15-03-2012, 09:51 PM
see ya pain beetle..we had 12 years of drought and some pretty serious dry spells , now its growing like all fck , the one good thing the drought got rid of a lot of the low ballers but the bastards are back again...my lawns are now challenged by 20 buck operators and actually do a very good job...cant make any money must be second job cash in hand ....

Bluey
15-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Yep it is dry Beetle. Was speaking to the guys at the local dump the other day. Everyone is feeling it....lets hope autumn brings rain.