PDA

View Full Version : Inner West Newbie

LGGF
12-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi All

Love the forum, it's a great read and has certainly helped me kick off my Lawn Mowing Business. It makes it a lot easier when you realise that the problems I have encountered are also common amongst others.

As with most newbies, the quoting is tricky, and I guess there is a fine line, between getting a job and not when it comes to pricing, I went out to quote on a job which was fairly close to home, I have set a minimum of a $30 charge which appears low compared to others on this forum, nevertheless, it was a small job and I was happy to complete it for $30. The owner paid cash and wants me back on a regular basis, he said he had two others quote on the job, the first guy that came out quoted $80 and the second guy quoted $50. I can hear you all sayin that I have quoted too low, but let me tell you, I was flat out turning my mower around in the back yard (that's how small it was).

The owner said his next option was to buy a mower and do it himself if he couldn't get it done for a reasonable amount, which would be one less lawn (small) for us to mow.

I have noticed in the forum that people charge a higher hourly rate depending on the type of work, is there a percentage/formula that can be applied to do doing hedge work as opposed to mowing and edges?

Also, whilst I haven't experienced it as yet, what do we normally do for someone that doesn't follow through with a payment? (lots of ideas came to mind, whilst waiting on a direct deposit to come through)

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Greenie
12-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Mate, welcome to the business, I too work the inner west :):) where abuots are you at??
I have been doing my own business for the past 8 months now but have been mowing most of my life:):)
I would like to give you some friendly advice one which I had to work out, customers or potential customers will say anything and tell you anything so they can pay peanuts some will pay top dollar for a good job some won't pay anything and don't care what job they get, so u have to think to yourself what am I worth an hr?? I tell you in the inner west nothing under $35 and even that's cheap, I have good expensive toys and I have to maintain them and if u under quote your not profiting, merely coming out even, there is alot of competition where we are and doesn't matter what u quote make sure u do a good job because most of your customer come from word of mouth...
But honestly u will slowly go broke at those prices:):)
I work it out like this
$10 of fuel in the car and mowers wipper snipper and edger, per job plus what u make
In your case you charged $30
$10 for the car to get to the job and about $3-4 to run the mower and wipper snipper
So u have pocketed $20 bucks before tax:):)

On direct deposit I only allow regular customers to that option otherwise it's strictly cash, and no one is a regular until u have been then their 2-3 times:):)

Greenie
12-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Another. Bit of friendly advice when quoting stand your ground and don't let the customer get on top if u think a job is worth $50 then that's the price and stick with it, don't be afraid to loose a few jobs here and there, it will happen and remember if u do get the job then u can do it smiling because u know u have come out in front, remember its a business not a charity ur here to make money and make a living:):)

LGGF
12-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks Greenie, it's all a bit of a sharp learning curve, I appreciatre the advice.

I'm still in the process of getting the trailer badged up with my logo etc, but say hello if you come across my path, I'll keep my eye out for you, I saw about five indi's and two Jim's mowing in my travels today.

LGGF
12-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Sorry, I'm based at Croydon

Bugga
12-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Welcome to Indy Scott. After you complete each job just take a few minutes & have a good look at what you have done, make sure every job is the best you can do. This will help to gain repeat customers as well as word of mouth customers.

If you get stuck just ask there is plenty of experienced people on this forum ready to help.

Greenie
12-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Sorry, I'm based at Croydon

I'm in bankstown and I do plenty of work around croyden park and ashfield :) if u get stuck or need a hand let me know:)