PDA

View Full Version : if sick then what ? who covers for you...

a.12912
15-01-2012, 10:33 PM
if sick then what ? who covers for you...

i'm keen to get mowing thinking of franchise for the point that has been proposed that i would be covered if i get sick and wont loose the work other wise.

i generally never get sick so i don't no why I'm so worried, but want to know what to independent operators do ?

PaulG
15-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Do franchises promise you an income while sick or injured? Or is it built into fees as income insurance/protection?

Income protection might give you an income while sick or injured but are you customers all still going to be there when you get back to work?

fairdinkum
16-01-2012, 04:23 AM

i'm keen to get mowing thinking of franchise for the point that has been proposed that i would be covered if i get sick and wont loose the work other wise.

i generally never get sick so i don't no why I'm so worried, but want to know what to independent operators do ?Just don't get sick mate. :)

happymowin
16-01-2012, 07:31 AM
yep, dont get sick, cos when you get well, your customers wont be there for you - its strictly a one way street (no matter how long youve been there for them, youre just a clone, who can be replaced at any time.)

i learned that when we had the big floods here and the weeks of rain.

if you couldnt/wouldnt mow 2 foot high WET grass in the RAIN, they rang another guy.

not much loyalty

simo
16-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Depending how long you are sick for, but if you explain your situation 90% of customers will let you mow there lawn up to a week late..so you can get a little sick if need be or at least have a little time to organise a fill in or for sale sign..just be honest to them about the situation..
maybe have a emergency plan so your wife knows what to do if you knock your self out eg: this mowing run will self distruct in less than 1 week :puter devil

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-01-2012, 09:06 AM
A day or two you will be right but i know i had problems at the end of 2010 between machinery playing up and ex being silly and lost a few customers not getting there but thats when you can usally put on here and we try and help each other out. I was just in a place that i didnt care so i didnt ask for help and even if i did have franchise probably would have been the same. But like i said you usally can get help here. Vj got a pendasides and i did his run plus mine for about 2 months he went on holidays for a month at one stae and again i did his and my run.

a.12912
16-01-2012, 11:37 AM
sounds like a plan then.. step one don't get sick , step two ' (theoretical as i don't get sick , but if) come here and don't be flustered and ask for help as help is always round the corner...

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Thats him brother what location are you.

MowerRob
16-01-2012, 04:29 PM
If you have a good franchisor

You can him him ya diary and he will get ya jobs covered

as others have said u would probably be right for a week (make sure u communicate with clients)

But remember all Indys and Zees do the job differently so what your client expects the person covering might not give.

Best to get to know 3-5 Indies/Zees personally and work together to cover each other when needed as long as the trust is there and the work standards are the same there should be no problems

ian
16-01-2012, 06:41 PM
A day or two you will be right but i know i had problems at the end of 2010 between machinery playing up and ex being silly and lost a few customers not getting there but thats when you can usally put on here and we try and help each other out. I was just in a place that i didnt care so i didnt ask for help and even if i did have franchise probably would have been the same. But like i said you usally can get help here. Vj got a pendasides and i did his run plus mine for about 2 months he went on holidays for a month at one stae and again i did his and my run.
nice to know the little blokes still alive :)

Lockie
16-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Recently had to have 4 months off work, my round was covered by 3 fellow Jimmies, didnt lose a client infact ended up with 2 extras (neighbors of my clients wanting a reg service).
I have also caretaken a round for another for 14months 2yrs back, handed them all back when he was able work again with no dramas.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-01-2012, 07:13 PM
nice to know the little blokes still alive :)

Yeah hes getting out of the mowing game and ging to install solar panels last time i spoke to him.

a.12912
17-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Recently had to have 4 months off work, my round was covered by 3 fellow Jimmies, didnt lose a client infact ended up with 2 extras (neighbors of my clients wanting a reg service).
I have also caretaken a round for another for 14months 2yrs back, handed them all back when he was able work again with no dramas.

if i read between the lines , are you a jimmie?

a.12912
17-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Best to get to know 3-5 Indies/Zees personally and work together to cover each other when needed as long as the trust is there and the work standards are the same there should be no problems

how and were may i come to meet these individuals ...

food for thought , would happily do the old work experience for free to get a proper feel for the industry and also make some valuable acquaintances.

a.12912
17-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Thats him brother what location are you.

good old South Australia North East burbs

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
17-01-2012, 10:56 PM
good old South Australia North East burbs

I think bluey might be out that way somewhere send him a private message im sure he would give you a run with him for the day

Lockie
18-01-2012, 07:20 AM
if i read between the lines , are you a jimmie?

Yes mate going on 11yrs

a.12912
18-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Yes mate going on 11yrs

may i ask do you feel that it is worth the initial outlay and the ongoing out lay ?

cheers

Bluey
18-01-2012, 08:17 PM
I think bluey might be out that way somewhere send him a private message im sure he would give you a run with him for the day Ray has already PMed me. We will get something set up.

South East Mowing
18-01-2012, 08:36 PM

i generally never get sick so i don't no why I'm so worried, but want to know what to independent operators do ?

Get to know other indies.

I have had time off 1week with a nose op, 6 weeks with a heart op and a few other smaller things. Having helped a contractor start his business, I called on his help in all these times.

Lockie
19-01-2012, 08:39 PM
may i ask do you feel that it is worth the initial outlay and the ongoing out lay ?

cheers
Yes mate still very happy with my choice and what i get for my money. I use the system to suit myself and my work needs.
Keep doing ur research, talk to as many contractors as u can, indy, jimmie, vip who ever u can find. what ever u decide suits u make sure u understand completely what ur in for and that ur comfortable with it.

johnnie5
04-02-2012, 01:14 PM
how and were may i come to meet these individuals ...

food for thought , would happily do the old work experience for free to get a proper feel for the industry and also make some valuable acquaintances.

pick up your local paper and check out the adds in there

useful for a variety of reasons

such as

sick/holidays
who can and cant do other work that you cant do that you can pass along or sub out
a helper for those big jobs where you could really do with an extra hand

also valuable info about PITAS and non payers

AJD Mowing
04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Do franchises promise you an income while sick or injured? Or is it built into fees as income insurance/protection?

Income protection might give you an income while sick or injured but are you customers all still going to be there when you get back to work?

Last week I picked up a new customer and they told me they were with VIP for 15 years and a couple of weeks ago was told by the operator that this would be the last time he would mow their lawn as he had to have an operation and had to get out of lawnmowing, he had also been trying to sell his franchise for a long time to no avail. He said to find someon else (Lucky Me) It is in a real nice area as well Sylvania waters NSW.. I don't understand why other franchise operators didn't take over maybe he was disgruntled with the system or maybe just wanted to unload a customer anyway my gain his loss...

Chris B
04-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Last week I picked up a new customer and they told me they were with VIP for 15 years and a couple of weeks ago was told by the operator that this would be the last time he would mow their lawn as he had to have an operation and had to get out of lawnmowing, he had also been trying to sell his franchise for a long time to no avail. He said to find someon else (Lucky Me) It is in a real nice area as well Sylvania waters NSW.. I don't understand why other franchise operators didn't take over maybe he was disgruntled with the system or maybe just wanted to unload a customer anyway my gain his loss...
wonder if you can get in touch with him and see if he has any others?!