PDA

View Full Version : Barmac Paspalum & Clover Killer. Problem????

BobC
28-01-2012, 06:06 PM
On Wednesday I sprayed a lawn (aprx. 200 sq.mtrs) with Barmac Paspalum Killer. The lawn was infested with Paspalum.

The dilution rate on the label was to spray 170ml of concentrate in 2L of water per 10 mē. At the time I thought this seemed excessive so I used a very slightly weaker solution, (1500ml in 18L of water).

Now, three days later the entire lawn, including the paspalum, appears to be dead. It is brown and crispy.

I have double checked the dilution rates on the label and also checked the Barmac website. The website also quotes 170ml of concentrate in 2L of water per 10 mē.

The lawn sprayed was a couch lawn and my spray unit was thouroughly cleaned before using the Barmac.

I am very concerned that the dilution rates given on Barmacs labels and websites are wrong.

Any thoughts?

urbanpatch
28-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I know in the past when I have spot sprayed with paspalum killer the lawn seems to die around it, but thats spotting. I would give it a week or 2 before you declare it. My big concern would be spraying in the weather we have been having, hot and dry, the lawn would be suffering and very susceptible at the moment, I wouldn't recommend spraying. The rain that is forecast for the next few days might save you.

Andy B
28-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Glad you tried it first. :P I was reading about products for paspalum the other day and couldn't find one that I was game to use on couch cause I don't know which type of couch, The ones I looked at were contrabanned for qld couch, the one you got is confusing to me. Maybe we need to work out what sort of couch we have?

Andy B
28-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry just looked up Mullumbimby Couch and Water Couch and now I know what they are, pests. Sorry probably like urbanpatch said, weather too hot?

Does the couch you're trying to keep have the 4 pronged seed heads?

AJD Mowing
28-01-2012, 06:43 PM
The same thing hapened to me last summer I sprayed for paspalum in couch and the lawn went brown and crispy like I used a small dose of roundup. I sprayed the lawn with Seasol every 3 weeks and it recovered. I will only spot spray or dig it out now I never have had any problem with broard leaf or clover/bindi just the paspalum

BobC
28-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Hi Andy, The couch is a bit of a cocktail but is predominately common couch, the type with four seed head spikes, a bit like the spokes of an umbrella.

We might get a bit of rain tommorow or Monday, so I think I'll give the lawn some Seasol and keep my fingers crossed.
:Rain:

NLALM
28-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Queensland Blue couch is not a couch, couch is Cynodon dactylon . Queensland blue is Digitaria didactyla

Those rates sound high Bob , can you look on the label and tell us if the active constituent is DSMA.
I just had alook in my little black book I think that should be 170mls in 20 litres per 100 square metres.

4 Gardens
28-01-2012, 07:30 PM
http://services.apvma.gov.au/PubcrisWebClient/label/47924.pdf
Label is the link above

This website is great for all registered chemicals - contains heaps of great information

http://services.apvma.gov.au/PubcrisWebClient/welcome.do;jsessionid=M2WyPj1ZysP4PMbBbWslRrsd4lKJ BHpyC9nJb82kTtM62X9JhZM3!1534907726

BobC
28-01-2012, 07:31 PM
[Those rates sound high Bob , can you look on the label and tell us if the active constituent is DSMA.
I just had alook in my little black book I think that should be 170mls in 20 litres per 100 square metres.[/QUOTE]

The label reads 74 g/L DSMA. 24 g/L MCPA present as the Sodium Salt.

Directions for use, as per the label and Barmac website are ( Spray 170ml in 2L of water per 10m2)

4 Gardens
28-01-2012, 07:34 PM
if you check the label on PUBCRIS website I just posted the application rates from Bob is correct

NLALM
28-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Ok if the rates were right what was the weather like when you sprayed was the lawn under stress , from being dry, if it was a hot day this could also happen what time of the day did you spray did you mow it first????

PaulG
28-01-2012, 08:52 PM
This is the couch Mark refers to. Does it look similar Bob?

http://vro.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vrosite.nsf/pages/water_sss_couch

Surprised to see the Barmac label says it's okay for Kikuyu and Buffalo too.

Some yellowing of the couch is to be expected but I wouldn't think it would have died completely.

Andy B
28-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Queensland Blue couch is not a couch, couch is Cynodon dactylon . Queensland blue is Digitaria didactyla

thanks for that, just googled the names and can see the difference in the pictures.

Side topic but check out this guys work.

http://www.plantillustration.com/index.html

DavidS
29-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Most chemicals should not be sprayed when the temp is not going to be over 30c, also if grass is under stress it's not a good idea to spray these types of chemicals. If you have to spray, then organise for the lawn to be watered a day or two before hand with a good soaking and then spray, then water 2 days after you have sprayed this will help.
With the damage done now seasol and water lawn now and again next week and then the week after. If it is going to rain seasol before hand and see how much rain you get. If a good soaking ie 10-15 ml then don't bother watering again if less then you will need to water.

ian
29-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Most chemicals should not be sprayed when the temp is not going to be over 30c, also if grass is under stress it's not a good idea to spray these types of chemicals. If you have to spray, then organise for the lawn to be watered a day or two before hand with a good soaking and then spray, then water 2 days after you have sprayed this will help.
With the damage done now seasol and water lawn now and again next week and then the week after. If it is going to rain seasol before hand and see how much rain you get. If a good soaking ie 10-15 ml then don't bother watering again if less then you will need to water.
David i think you may have slipped an extra not in by mistake either one of these should be left out :laughing: otherwise i agree with your advise

DavidS
29-01-2012, 10:33 AM
LOL yes thanks for that Ian

Kathryn
29-01-2012, 11:05 AM
ah . this clears up a query i got the other day. a lady got me to look at her lawn that has paspalum trying to take over her couch lawn. apparently another gardener had said they could fix it and sprayed something on one area of the 2 grasses. that was a week before i saw it and all the grass was looking very brown. i thought they might have got their chemicals or spray bottles mixed up but maybe it was the same problem as bobc has had. would have been well over 30c too

BobC
29-01-2012, 12:59 PM
I checked another brand of Paspalum Killer, (Searles) and their ingredients and dilution rates are the same as Barmc, so it would seem that the spray rate is correct.

The lawn had not been mowed in the previous ten days. It was sprayed in the evening when the temperature was in the low 20's.

We've had some hot days here and it looks like I've not realised just how much the lawn was under stress, despite it still being reasonably green at the time of spraying.

I'm going to put this one down as part of my learning curve and just hope that with water and applications of Seasol the lawn will come good again.

Thanks for everyones input.

Bob.

ian
29-01-2012, 03:03 PM
reasonably green at the time of spraying may mean that even if you hadn't sprayed the lawn it may have finished going brown by now. unfortunately as you have sprayed the lawn it gives the appearance that you are responsible even if your not one of many reasons i am hesitant to spray lawns

BobC
12-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Just as a follow up to this, I have given the lawn the Seasol treatment, and coupled with a bit of rain we've had, the lawn now has a fresh green tinge to it.

Looks like it'll come good and I may have dodged a bullet!
:cool:

Acreage Mowing Service
26-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Hi Bob,
We have found the same as you and firstly assumed, then tested and confirmed:
The mix ratio if fantastic on Clover however,
On Paspalum we spot spray only which may take two treatments over a 4 week period.
Unfortunately there will be some browning of healthy couch.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Keith