PDA

View Full Version : Shindi v Stihl Combi

Stump
06-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Please tell me the reasons you like either. Can't decide on my purchase. Cheers.

happymowin
06-02-2012, 09:13 PM
what attachments are you looking to run stump?

i have the shindy c4 / artic hedger / polesaw.

the c4 motor loses revs a bit when you change from one way to the other - cutting to the left/to the right - (others say the same) but recovers revs and keeps going.

it still starts like it should, prime, two pulls with choke on, it kicks, choke off, one pull and starts

its lots LIGHTER than the stihl, but i still end up with sore shoulders. Wouldnt want to have the stihl unless youre built like a gorilla (or want to be lol)

i havent USED a stihl, dont get me wrong.

ive had the shindy for about 2 yrs, time to get its first sharpen (hedger) and the running blade is a touch bent, (too many 3mm fence wires i imagine lol) they have to straighten it for me. (cuts thru 3mm wire and eats the corners off metal downpipes if not careful)

costs approx. $100 they tell me (total) to sharpen/service blades

booking it in tomorrow

the stihl may be built stronger/heavier, idk.

either would do the job well, i'd say.

cheers mate

Scooby Steve
07-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Stihl pro's - more powerful than Shindi (in comparison the Shindi looks like it should wear a blouse), heaps of grunt, reliable once started, good on fuel

con's- heavy, hard to start sometimes, runs rough when due for valve clearance adjustments, vibrations with the 130 bother me

Shindi pro's - reliable, lighter than Stihl, C4 good on fuel

con's - C4 a ***** to start in cold weather (i had an early model the new ones may be better), no where near as much grunt as the stihl

U wouldn't go wrong with either but the greater torque made me go the Stihl.

Try to use both before purchase as mine/others opinions may be different to yours!

Depending on when u need it by you r welcome to use both my Stihl's if we can tee up a time to meet i no longer own the Shindi.

Stump
07-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Hmm, both pretty good by the sound of it. I did use the stihl for about half and hour once, and it was farkin heavy. The Shindi sounds good, but I wan't grunt for the polesaw. Bugger it, everything else in the back of my ute is orange, so I suppose I might get the Stihl.
The local Stihl shop had a great special on the smaller chainsaw (Miniboss) today, so I grabbed one. Had to slay a huge Grapefruit tree today, and it carved it up like butter. Even the huge stump as big as my waist! I was amazed with what it was capable of, and only cost me $299. Paid for itself, and also make its first profit in one job!
Thanks for the offer on the try of the Stihl anyway Scoob.

brettly
08-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Hmm, both pretty good by the sound of it. I did use the stihl for about half and hour once, and it was farkin heavy. The Shindi sounds good, but I wan't grunt for the polesaw. Bugger it, everything else in the back of my ute is orange, so I suppose I might get the Stihl.
The local Stihl shop had a great special on the smaller chainsaw (Miniboss) today, so I grabbed one. Had to slay a huge Grapefruit tree today, and it carved it up like butter. Even the huge stump as big as my waist! I was amazed with what it was capable of, and only cost me $299. Paid for itself, and also make its first profit in one job!
Thanks for the offer on the try of the Stihl anyway Scoob.

Been looking at that miniboss as well, either that or the cheaper Ozito from Bunnings..i think the Stihl might be the path to take, after all it will eventually pay for itself.

edit: Wait a sec, you got it for 299?..site is saying they are 399? ..great buy

Stump
08-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Been looking at that miniboss as well, either that or the cheaper Ozito from Bunnings..i think the Stihl might be the path to take, after all it will eventually pay for itself.

edit: Wait a sec, you got it for 299?..site is saying they are 399? ..great buy
Yep, had a special ticket on it saying the special ended December. I asked him about it and he was happy to give it to me, as they got them cheap. All of the miniboss range was around a hungy off original price, and the tickets are still up. Do you have a Stihl shop franchise near you?

Redeye
08-02-2012, 02:42 PM
you dont need "grunt" for a polesaw, the weight of the head and a sharp chain should be all thats needed

DavidS
08-02-2012, 07:23 PM
I need the grunt more for the hedge trimmer attachment than the polesaw, it's nice to know that you have the grunt if you need it. eg chain getting a little blunt but you only a couple of cuts to go, stuff sharpening it just use a little more pressure and a bit more grunt. ( naughty I know but it's the end of a big day and a beer awaits me.)

brettly
09-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Yep, had a special ticket on it saying the special ended December. I asked him about it and he was happy to give it to me, as they got them cheap. All of the miniboss range was around a hungy off original price, and the tickets are still up. Do you have a Stihl shop franchise near you?

Yep just down the road at leumeah, his a Stihl dealer..last time i went there (early Jan) he didnt have that special on it tho:i dunno: