PDA

View Full Version : new Mornington Peninsula

Harvey
08-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Hello everyone from a newly signed up member from Victoria's Mornington Peninsula. I joined because i plan to run this business for another 30 years and I want to do things right from the start . Members here seem to be running successful businesses for many years and seem keen to push for professionalism in the industry and thats what i want too. Joining is cheap and seemed like the right thing to do.

Just starting out with my own business after years doing bushland management type stuff and found i really love working in the larger domestic gardens around here. Aim for the future is to pick up five days a week of regular garden maintenance type work with a few odd mowing jobs to try to get me through winter down here.

Been picking up plenty of clean ups and regular hand weeding and mulching type work from people who say their lawnmowing guy won't do garden work, so im trying to push for these garden jobs (which is my background) over mowing work. But i dont plan on stepping on anyones toes or undercutting or stealing work from anyone. Im trying to group my work between Mt Eliza and Rye area at this stage - theres lots of overgrown yards from 1/3rd acre up to 1 acre that need tidying up.

Thanks to everyone who post equipment reviews. Ive spent hours reading the forums and have bought a Rover 560 mower and a Makita 2510 whippy based on their good reviews here. Ive also learned alot about setting up my business and tax stuff from the forum aswell. Thanks to Dean for the lawnmowing manual (best tip was to try to learn one thing from each job that makes work easier next time) and the great insurance deals. I acknowledge im in a learning phase and theres plenty more to learn from the experienced guys out there. If anyone sees me at the local tips or around the area, come over and have a chat, im pretty casual and relaxed about everything.

Forums are new to me so i hope i do everything right and dont annoy anyone - tell me if i do

Thanks again everyone
Erik

PaulG
08-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Welcome Erik. You sound like you have a good plan and work ethic right from the start. I like your four seasons logo too.

geoff
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Erik , welcome mate,i am heading towards that 30 year figure in this business that you are aiming for and have done OK but you are set to fly with your professional approach and great web site .With your background and eager to learn approach you will kill em .....just make sure you are charging a decent price from the start especially with your previous experience and knowledge .Charge a good price and do a professional job and mate you wont have to worry about stepping on any toes as you will be too busy ....

brettly
08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Welcome Eric, you look set to GROW :) ..ive been in this for like 2 minutes (compared to some..lol)..but yea outside of wot geoff has suggested, build up a good customer base, save those pennies and quote realistically.
Seems from your experience you love wot you do so nothing should be a problem. Having your wife work with you is also a step-up when things get busy.

Great Website BTW

Stump
08-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Welcome. See you have a background in the Indigenous stuff. I grow them for a hobby. Good luck.

Harvey
08-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys.

Rest assured i do charge a good price and get knocked back on quotes ocassionally but previous customers seem happy to pay for a quality finish.

And yes i do feel at home in a native garden. Not worrying so much about pests, diseases, water, sun, tidyness.

Andy B
08-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Good onya, great long term attitude! Just liked your facebook page too!

PhilG
08-02-2012, 08:12 PM
All the best, I liked you Facebook too.

Darren's Mowing
09-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Welcome..... you'll do ok..... The more professional people in this industry the better for everyone.... :)

Leon241
13-02-2012, 03:13 PM
G'day Erik

Seems we're sharing areas, (I've been going for about a week), but I think you've a bit of a better plan and setup than me. Maybe you can handball any small domestic jobs you don't want!!!:slam dunk.

I've just got a small 6x4 cage towed by a mazda 6 wagon, INDE stickers freshly on!

ps. any other local Inde's about who want to chat? Feel free.