PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to access a high hedge?

Dazz1
11-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi Guys, Had to trim a 6 meter high hedge the sides are no problem becouse i have a extendable multi tool.
the problem is when doing the top the hedge trimmer atachment dosn't reach the center from both sides, so the center of hedge has bits sticking up all over phe place!
any ideas?

Greenie
11-02-2012, 08:38 AM
a Ladder, Works for me:) :):) :)

Stripes
11-02-2012, 08:46 AM
two ladders with a plank of wood running between them gives you a good platform. PITA though when you have to carry it around. I used to use this which was very handy to have and didn't take up much room. Makes life much easier, even for 2 metre high hedges.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_gorilla-aluminium-adjustable-work-platform_620.aspx?filter=categoryname--Work+Platforms+%26+Scafolding

Fred's mowing
11-02-2012, 09:30 AM
What type of hedge is it?
How mature is it?
How wide is it?
How much off the top?
Any obstiles at the base of it?
Paved surface, or garden bed, or lawn next to it?
Sloping or level ground?
Cheers Fred.

MowerRob
11-02-2012, 10:14 AM
We bought one of these a 3.6metre A framed ladder (Gorilla) not cheap but does the job and paid for itself on the first job

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rgmast/IMG_0157.jpg

Fred's mowing
11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Rob, is that a fiberglass jobbie?
I picked one up a while back, boy was it heavy! but great 4 electrical hazards, so i hear:eyes:
Also he would struggle with that on a 6m high hedge to get over the top.
He would need a min of 4.5, & then it depends on how wide the hedge is.
Thats why I was asking him all the questions.
Cheers Fred.

MowerRob
11-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I picked one up a while back, boy was it heavy! but great 4 electrical hazards, so i hear:eyes:
Cheers Fred.

yeah it is fibreglass it is quite heavy but I always work with an offsider so no real dramas

Andy B
11-02-2012, 10:37 AM
6m, are you sure? Get a crane!

Chris B
11-02-2012, 10:53 AM

for 6m maybe 1st or second pic.. 3rd pic may pose access problems lol

Harvey
11-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Go to a hire shop and tow away a small cherry picker. Offer to do customers' high gutters or trim trees whilst you have the machine

Fred's mowing
11-02-2012, 11:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0nxGzur3i8

cheers fred

Chris B
11-02-2012, 11:38 AM
lol perfect for those delicate hedges

i like this too.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkkXwUztxSo&feature=related
actually doing a really neat job especially at approx 2:13

Dazz1
11-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Looks like a small cherry picker might be the go next time!
Don't think much of swinging a hedge trimmer around purched on a ladder.

Redeye
11-02-2012, 11:50 AM
I've got ladder racks on on my ute incl. the front which I've used when I could get up close for hedging, pruning

Dazz1
11-02-2012, 12:12 PM
I've got ladder racks on on my ute incl. the front which I've used when I could get up close for hedging, pruning

Yeah, just been outside looking at doing something like that on the old Rodeo could be very useful. I've got a ute lid on it at the moment and it's pain if you want to carry any thing higher than the walls of the tray

Stump
11-02-2012, 01:43 PM
two ladders with a plank of wood running between them gives you a good platform. PITA though when you have to carry it around. I used to use this which was very handy to have and didn't take up much room. Makes life much easier, even for 2 metre high hedges.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_gorilla-aluminium-adjustable-work-platform_620.aspx?filter=categoryname--Work+Platforms+%26+Scafolding
I like the look of the Mighty Plank. Looks handy and lighter than a plank of wood to drag around, and also adjustable to 4m

DavidS
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
I was trying to find that hedge trimmer we all agreed that the OH & S side might have been a problem. Ride on lawn mower suspended from a crane cutting the top of a hedge.
It was posted on here somewhere.

happymowin
11-02-2012, 04:25 PM

its against wh&s practices to put a plank between 2 ladders, the ladders arent wide eough at the base, you should use proper trestles.

you should also( imo) charge a premium price for the danger of working at heights.

ive been doing roof work for 11 yrs now, and altho im very experienced, the other day i was about 6 foot off ground (my feet) and the hedge swayed in the wind,

cos i was looking at the hedge, it seemed to me i was swaying too, and felt dizzy and to tell the truth , i almost rocked the ladder over, i reckon.

working at heights can KILL you , be careful of it, and either charge a heap big price, or leave it for someone else to do

or like the guys said hire a cherry picker or proper height access gear, and make the customer pay for it.

personally i wont use a step ladder bigger than 8 foot (where the max height your feet are off the ground is 6 foot - cant use last 2 steps)

be careful guys, heights kill.

DavidS
11-02-2012, 04:41 PM
This is what I was looking for.4426

AJD Mowing
11-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi Guys, Had to trim a 6 meter high hedge the sides are no problem becouse i have a extendable multi tool.
the problem is when doing the top the hedge trimmer atachment dosn't reach the center from both sides, so the center of hedge has bits sticking up all over phe place!
any ideas?
Get a scaffold...
I got a photo of a good scaffold system for you see if I can find the photo..

Yep last trip to Bali took this photo maybe you could build something like that?? lol

AJD Mowing
11-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Get a scaffold...
I got a photo of a good scaffold system for you see if I can find the photo..

Yep last trip to Bali took this photo maybe you could build something like that?? lol
hmmm might get a sore neck see if I can fix it

AJD Mowing
11-02-2012, 05:12 PM
see if this is better

simo
11-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Just put the ramps for the ride on up there and away you go, classic look from customers especially the elderly ones ..don`t fall lol

Wyadra
11-02-2012, 05:25 PM
If it a cypress you might be able to climb it from the inside. Cypress you can always put a ladder against it and it will spring back. Hope you're making really good money...you only get to fall hard once.

simo
11-02-2012, 05:29 PM
If it a cypress you might be able to climb it from the inside. Cypress you can always put a ladder against it and it will spring back. Hope you're making really good money...you only get to fall hard once.

Yep look at molly goes to show can happen to anyone hat and all....

Fred's mowing
11-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Looks like a small cherry picker might be the go next time!
Don't think much of swinging a hedge trimmer around purched on a ladder.

So how did u complete it?
Cheers Fred.

Bluey
11-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Cheers Fred.

OHWS approved of course.

Bluey
11-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Pardon me pun on the last post but if you are going to get up a ladder then be prepared for problems. Falls from ladders make up a big part of OHWS claims. Want to be on the wrong end. Put your blokes on a big kick arse ladder

South East Mowing
11-02-2012, 11:18 PM

Well well now, my days at the christian brothers college must have paid off with all my prayers. I have had 1 hard fall from 4 mtrs with a very badly sprained wrist only!! And a ladder which broke my fall which I can credit for me still able to type this;)

And I must say that while doing the T&Tag for many large companies anything to do with ladders was very strictly followed and documented. Spot on Bluey

Stripes
12-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Pardon me pun on the last post but if you are going to get up a ladder then be prepared for problems. Falls from ladders make up a big part of OHWS claims. Want to be on the wrong end. Put your blokes on a big kick arse ladder

Yep. Way too easy to fall.
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?10287

Fred's mowing
12-02-2012, 10:15 AM
There are REASONS why ppl fall off ladders.
If your not confident, dont get on it!
Melbournian indies, if u dont want to do high hedges, send them my way.
Only too happy to help out:cool:.
Cheers Fred.

fairdinkum
12-02-2012, 06:03 PM
If I can't reach something with my 2 step ladder I won't touch it any more. Not worth the risk.

LGGF
02-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Has anyone seen this attachment sold anywhere in Australia, the video was shot in 2009. It looks like it would work ok???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOODCsl2C8w
Or if you know a supplier, searching the net hasn't revealed much.
Thanks in advance.

happymowin
02-06-2012, 08:54 PM
lol, i looked at the one you posted but i like this one i saw in the side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQkm-wV3dA4&feature=related

it looks like a WH&S compliant machine, surely?

lol

seliment
02-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Has anyone seen this attachment sold anywhere in Australia, the video was shot in 2009. It looks like it would work ok???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOODCsl2C8w
Or if you know a supplier, searching the net hasn't revealed much.
Thanks in advance.

Might be worth making contact with the manufacturer in France..
They have a website in English
www.cochet.biz

That's what I did when I was looking for a 4wd steep terrain mower ..
Saw a machine on utube that looked good ... Emailed AS-Motor in Germany.
They were very helpful and put me in touch with a person here in Aust who wad looking at importing the machines.
I bought one and am more than happy with the Sherpa940.
If AS-motor hadnt been tslkingwith someone here I am certain they would have been happy to ship one to me here.
Given the way that the French treat Aussies when I have travelled in France,
I reckon you would get a pretty positive response if you emailed the French maker.

Joe

imoww
23-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Last week, i fell through a folded/ platform type ladder whilst hedging a 3 metre high hedge.
I stepped onto one of The metal planks that sit on top of the ladder / wasnt resting on the ladder's rail properly.
Down i went ending up stuck in the air. (I threw the hedger into the hedge) Eventually had to make the ladder fall over so i could get off it.
Injuries: badly bruised right forearm and a bit of bark off the legs.
Not doing any more high hedges. If i cant get to the hedge with the small contractors platform ( 1 metre high) then i wont do it...
It's a bad feeling when falling and you're holding onto a petrol hedger....

imoww
23-07-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbK9eybE35E

Kathryn
23-07-2012, 12:30 PM
omg. what redneck moron. funny though

geoff1969
24-07-2012, 10:17 PM
It's a bad feeling when falling and you're holding onto a petrol hedger

agree with that imoww , it can get the ol hart pumping in panic ,

AJD Mowing
25-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Thats the funiest thing I have ever seen.. Imow I did the exact same thing about 12 months ago doing a hedge with a petrol hedger I was more imbaresed and lucky I dont think anyone saw me.. I was starting to get up before I hit the ground lol

simo
25-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Isn`t it funny that`s the first thing you do is see if anybody saw
instead of seeing if there is any blood or broken bones..:chewie

imoww
26-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Yep. I agree guys. I too looked around to see if anyone saw me.... Lucky the client was upstairs taking a shower at the time.

Neil&family
26-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Yep. I agree guys. I too looked around to see if anyone saw me.... Lucky the client was upstairs taking a shower at the time.

And thats got nothing to do with you falling off the ladder? She must have been a stunner lol

GardenGuy
26-07-2012, 05:29 PM
For the high stuff, I have a 5m A-Frame aluminmium ladder.

I lacked confidence on it at first, but having painted my 4.3m ceilings on it (detail work, so had to get up there and do it by hand), I got over the discomfort. Now, it's just a case of making sure it's well situated and solidly on the ground and then go for it with either a 20" hedger or a pole hedger.

Some of the earlier posts are dead right (no pun intended): working at heights of more than a couple of metres is subject to higher fees because it takes longer, no matter how good the operator is. Time is money.

The necessary caution to make sure that one completes the task without injury and maintain quality workmanship means a reduced work rate. Yes, there are people who are wearied of living out there, but I would bet that most ILMCOA members and other garden care pros are rather quite pleased to remain alive and working as long as possible. After all - we do this because we love what we do - and mostly that means making lots of people happy and making the world a more beautiful place.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Wyadra
26-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Often the really high hedges aren't done that often. My preferred way is to climb it, then use a wolf garden 4m pole with anvil lopper. $150+ph seems to be reasonable.

geoff
26-07-2012, 07:27 PM
well 5 meter ladder be interesting to see how it measure up to the oh &s requirements:dean::dean:

imoww
06-08-2012, 07:42 PM
NAr mate... I wish it was the reason i fell off the ladder tho... She's not a stunner.....

imoww
06-08-2012, 07:49 PM
It gets Worse.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-bZMb620c&feature=related

South East Mowing
06-08-2012, 09:31 PM
well 5 meter ladder be interesting to see how it measure up to the oh &s requirements:dean::dean:

Could be ok if it is just temporary work. But if not you should probably have something more secure, with at least a platform on it!

regester64
06-08-2012, 10:49 PM
A work platform/cherry picker.... if some ones gunna let a hedge grow to 5 metres they should be paying for you to work safely

administrator
28-03-2013, 09:52 AM
You can die by banging your head from a metre to 2 metre fall at least buy a helmet if your doing height work .

happymowin
28-03-2013, 11:51 AM
thats right admin

i had a mate fell from a step ladder - his feet were about 4-5 feet up it, broke both his ankles, still cant walk right.

if youre not comfortable working at heights, just dont do it.

if you cant do it safely, just dont do it.

your life and health is worth more.

ian
28-03-2013, 05:16 PM
about 3 years ago i fell about 2m,broke a couple of ribs and fractured an ankle and had to take a week off work so as admin and happy have said you don't have to fall far to get hurt or kill yourself so take care

imoww
28-03-2013, 05:49 PM
So guys.... Whats the best form of ladder or platform OH&S wise?
Im getting allot of hedging jobs and some are a little too high for the extention hedger

happymowin
28-03-2013, 07:13 PM
cant answer that question, THEY might be watching :shifty

("Its not paranoia if THEY'RE out to get ya !!! :law)

(cant recommend the upturned milk crate, thats just plain silly !!! :fact)

:)

63impala
28-03-2013, 07:30 PM
The ones the other day 4 meters tall get on the ladder stand on the neighbours cut the top of then see curtin moving on the house Iam trimming later on rolls out with a few sodas yeah good day....

AJD Mowing
28-03-2013, 08:01 PM
I can get my Indo friends to build you a platform :)

ian
28-03-2013, 08:01 PM
So guys.... Whats the best form of ladder or platform OH&S wise?
Im getting allot of hedging jobs and some are a little too high for the extention hedger
personally i like the gorilla multi ladders have found them very stable and the ability to adjust the legs is great for instances were you may have to prune a hedge that's on an embankment/retaining wall

PaulG
28-03-2013, 08:06 PM
I can get my Indo friends to build you a platform :)

Seems legit!

TomS
28-03-2013, 09:44 PM
I have a 'workall' Platform Ladder from Trade tools. They sell a practically identical gorilla product for twice the money. your feet are at 1.8 Metres and there is a guard rail another 900 mm above that. So my head is at 3.4 metres. I can cut horizontally at a maximum of three metres. If its over that I offer to do the sides only or they can find someone else.

I have always felt as safe as houses on this ladder until it went over sideways on a soft garden bed last week. Time slowed down.." which direction should I chuck the new hedger so it doesn,'t cut my arm off or break? is anyone watching? I feel so stupid Geez.. I hope I start breathing again"

Luckily I fell sideways so didn't break an arm.. and fell with my head on a sleeper so it didn't damage anything(joke). Had my chainsaw helmet on thank goodness.

Its made my rethink the whole business. Being really careful with ladder placement takes time, weighting with sandbags etc. Think I'm already charging as much as the market will stand.

Tom

happymowin
28-03-2013, 10:36 PM
geez tom, time to start taking your business in another direction, and i dont mean down

give the dangerous stuff away man,

personally i will only hedge trim from the 8 foot step ladder, so my feet are about 5-6 foot from the ground at most, i straddle it, its a 2 sided jobbie, i never stand on one step and work - too dangerous.

i have yet to fall off the mower, lol, sometimes the basic work is the highest paying imo. easier too.

i refuse to use a chainsaw or pole saw from a ladder. if i cant reach it from the ground, i tell em get a tree guy.

it hasnt hurt my income any either - you gotta decide whats best and safest for you and follow that path, man

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Has anyone got any suggestions for some cheap but safe scaffolding / work platforms about 6 to 8 foot high? I'm thinking second hand to keep costs down and a ladder that has those legs you can shorten on one side as well.

South East Mowing
06-02-2014, 10:08 PM
I have a 'workall' Platform Ladder from Trade tools. They sell a practically identical gorilla product for twice the money. your feet are at 1.8 Metres and there is a guard rail another 900 mm above that. So my head is at 3.4 metres. I can cut horizontally at a maximum of three metres. If its over that I offer to do the sides only or they can find someone else.

I have always felt as safe as houses on this ladder until it went over sideways on a soft garden bed last week. Time slowed down.." which direction should I chuck the new hedger so it doesn,'t cut my arm off or break? is anyone watching? I feel so stupid Geez.. I hope I start breathing again"

Luckily I fell sideways so didn't break an arm.. and fell with my head on a sleeper so it didn't damage anything(joke). Had my chainsaw helmet on thank goodness.

Its made my rethink the whole business. Being really careful with ladder placement takes time, weighting with sandbags etc. Think I'm already charging as much as the market will stand.

Tom

Yep. Did that about 10 yrs ago. Last job of the day on a Saturday only 5 mins from home and a coffee was smelling good on a chilly day. Oopps fell from 3+ mtrs in front of the home owner who screamed when she let the phone go. I WAS LUCKY that day and it must have not been my time because the ladder landed on the 3 stairs of front porch and I landed on the ladder which broke my fall a little as I rolled. Unfortunately I sprained my right wrist badly and it gives me trouble now so in 10+ yrs I will pay for it. I have never had a ladder issue since!:dance

South East Mowing
06-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Has anyone got any suggestions for some cheap but safe scaffolding / work platforms about 6 to 8 foot high? I'm thinking second hand to keep costs down and a ladder that has those legs you can shorten on one side as well.

should be able to get the "cheap" part of it on Ebay!:no pity Don't know about the safe part tho

BeetleJuice
06-02-2014, 10:25 PM
You should play it safe and be a two man job

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-02-2014, 10:54 PM
should be able to get the "cheap" part of it on Ebay!:no pity Don't know about the safe part tho

I've got a hedge I'm doing on a reg basis now. Problem is the hedge itself is only about 7 1/2 feet tall which about the limit I will do but its growing in a retainer wall that is about 5 feet tall. I stopped doing anything over 7 to 8 feet a couple of years ago because it was just too dangerous but I get good money for this and a lot of other gardening work at the same property. So its a case of give it away or get the right equipment to do it safely and take on other bigger hedges that I would normally not take on. Dont want to spend a fortune on equipment that is overkill and would like to be able to easily store and transport it.

Seems to be some decent enough scaffolding platforms on wheels out there but then what do you do if you dont have a concrete base for it to sit on?

DavidS
07-02-2014, 05:40 AM
Most scaffolding will still operate fine on grass and dirt, I have had to chock up low legs before but most of the time a slope is not a problem with them either. If the ground is really soft then I put boards under the legs.

LGGF
07-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I purchased one similar to this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminium-mobile-Scaffold-Tower-4-4m-Mobile-Scaffolding-NEW-/251441867694?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Constructio n_Building_Materials_Hardware&hash=item3a8b1a6bae
It cost just under $1500, with all the extras, like the fully adjustable wheels which have about 500mm adjustment, I can do a hedge which is about 40 metres in length, two metres wide and ranging in height from 4 metre to 3 metres in about an hour (just the top) by myself, the sides are done from the ground with a Stihl multi tool.
It has paid for itself in the first year.

TomS
07-02-2014, 10:09 PM
I do hedges up to 3.3m with a shindy multitool and a Platform ladder from total tools. Go and have a look at them.

Tom

BeetleJuice
07-02-2014, 10:54 PM
I remember being on a job and next door there were 2 guys wanting to fit a air conditioner to a 2 storey house.

First thing was they didn't have a 2 storey ladder so they got 2 ladders and tied them together with rope.
The second thing was the neighbouring properties had a corrugated fence between them and they had the ladder leaning on the wall but it stood on the property next door where i was.

The problem is if he fell or the ladders came apart he would fall onto the tin fence.
They didn't look brite,i went over and spoke to the owner and asked if he had a 2 storey ladder they could borrow and he did.
The guys went ahead without any safety harness or tying off the ladder to the building..I'd finished and left

Littlej
01-01-2015, 09:35 AM
I have a client that has a hedge that reaches up to 3.5m high and is around 3m deep, it was trimmed using ladders the first time, when it was getting time to trim it again I declared that I would have to hire scaffolding or similar. (due to physio costs from the first time)
So the client decided to purchase suitable equipment, the search ended with her buying a dedicated hedging ladder from Aladda, the Henchman Hi-step Major.
I used the ladder to do the job just before Christmas, surprisingly stable and heaps of adjustment on the legs, it made a huge difference to the ease of doing the job and not damaging myself. Cost was around 1K delivered.

Cheers, John.

PaulG
02-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Seems like good value for what it is although I'd like to see the legs a bit wider at the back for more stability. I bought a fibreglass Chief Platform Ladder last year which gets me to about three and a bit metres but it's not great on sloped or uneven ground. Cost was about $400 delivered.

4 Gardens
02-01-2015, 11:59 AM
I have a client that has a hedge that reaches up to 3.5m high and is around 3m deep, it was trimmed using ladders the first time, when it was getting time to trim it again I declared that I would have to hire scaffolding or similar. (due to physio costs from the first time)
So the client decided to purchase suitable equipment, the search ended with her buying a dedicated hedging ladder from Aladda, the Henchman Hi-step Major.
I used the ladder to do the job just before Christmas, surprisingly stable and heaps of adjustment on the legs, it made a huge difference to the ease of doing the job and not damaging myself. Cost was around 1K delivered.

Cheers, John.

Just checked their website, they look pretty good, particularly as the platform height is adjustable

Littlej
02-01-2015, 12:11 PM
I must admit I was concerned by the width of the back legs as well before using it, unfounded concerns it seems, as I was quite happy waving the Stihl kombi with hedger attachment around. The adjustment on the legs is a bit fiddly the first few times, but after practice ended up only taking a minute to fine tune every move.
Why it is so hard to find ladders and mobile collapsible scaff with adjustable legs is beyond me.

Wyadra
02-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Hi John I see you are new to the forum, don't know how long you have been gardening...

I think your client is taking a big risk by getting you to use her equipment for a dangerous job. If you fall I think she would be liable.

I have fallen from the top of my 4.8m. I won't use it now if it is not concrete without an assistant to hold it.

No sense not to learn from your mistakes, better still to learn from the mistakes of others...

Littlej
03-01-2015, 07:21 AM
Hi Wyandra, yes, I'm new to the forum. I have been in business now just on two years, although that time has also been filled with studying at tafe. Previous occupations have also given me a good grasp of practical/technical situations (if that is what was being asked?)

I agree fully with your sentiments regarding the use of clients equipment, and also the dangers of working at height.

Although, this particular client is not just the average client, due to previous history, associations etc.

I realise that the high hedge subject is a touchy one at best, and that forums are not always the best way to gauge the experience and bravado levels of the participants. Surely a dedicated hedging ladder with fully adjustable legs is at least worthy of consideration.

Cheers, John.

Wyadra
03-01-2015, 10:11 AM
I would refuse to use the ladder because it would be an obvious sign that the customer that the customer cares more about their wallet than your safety. How would your relationship be with your customer if you fell, broke your back and had to sue them for their house?

They could always call someone who already has the equipment, skills insurance etc. Only motivation I can see is to save money by passing the cost of the risk on to you. Hope you are getting paid at least double.

Those henchman ladders look good, but I cannot see any reference on the website to them conforming to Australian standards.

http://www.ohsrep.org.au/faqs/ohs-reps-@-work-other-/ladders-what-are-the-rules-and-regulations

Littlej
03-01-2015, 11:49 AM
I would refuse to use the ladder because it would be an obvious sign that the customer that the customer cares more about their wallet than your safety. How would your relationship be with your customer if you fell, broke your back and had to sue them for their house?

They could always call someone who already has the equipment, skills insurance etc. Only motivation I can see is to save money by passing the cost of the risk on to you. Hope you are getting paid at least double.

I appreciate your concern, but you are starting to assume a lot, about both me and my client, with not a lot of information.

Those henchman ladders look good, but I cannot see any reference on the website to them conforming to Australian standards.

http://www.ohsrep.org.au/faqs/ohs-reps-@-work-other-/ladders-what-are-the-rules-and-regulations

Yes, very good point. I have emailed the Australian supplier about this, although I am not anticipating a quick response at this time of year.

Cheers, John.

imoww
24-09-2017, 05:53 PM
92119211this is my highest platform ladder i use.
Anything over this height
I say no to. Also these platform ladders are very safe especially with that frame around your waist as you don’t have to hold on when hedging

Redeye
24-09-2017, 07:48 PM
me too - starting to hate hedging, too much abuse to the body

RSM-Gazza
24-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Disliking hedges at height and/or very wide ones that over hanging neighbours. Last year I cancelled all my hedge clients who don't have me mowing there lawns. Knock back all hedges for non current customers who call me. A luxury house in my street 6 houses up the road paid $880 for his hedges to be done after I knocked back the work. He said I'll call you again for the next cut and hopefully you are not as busy as when I last called. I've mowed the house next door to him for several years so he sees me. But it's too hard on the body as mentioned by Redeye, so it will get knocked back again.
But for my regular client base, I do there hedges promptly.

Edit, in my locality those high & wide hedges that overhang the neighbour usually have a high drop off narrow edge retainer wall to the fence to deal with that sends me down the negative path with hedges.

South East Mowing
24-09-2017, 11:13 PM
me too - starting to hate hedging, too much abuse to the body

I must be in the same age bracket!!!:o

Bluey
25-09-2017, 10:16 AM
me too - starting to hate hedging, too much abuse to the body I have perfectly valid excuse now.

Redeye
25-09-2017, 11:47 AM
:)

Scooby Steve
25-09-2017, 07:38 PM
I have perfectly valid excuse now.

Fair call i reckon

glassngrass
25-09-2017, 08:54 PM
I'd refuse to do any hedge that couldn't be cut down to a height for maintenance without a ladder or scaffold.
The height of the trimmer held above my head when standing on the ground is the highest I would go.

Cut'n Ya Grass
05-03-2018, 08:38 PM
:helpI was in the Stihl shop recently. I asked the salesman, who had been in the business for many years, what should I be charging for hedging? His reply was what is the value of your knees, hips, and shoulders?

Redeye
05-03-2018, 09:10 PM
l'm asking myself that lately.....

ian
05-03-2018, 09:31 PM
think of a price double it and your getting close :)