PDA

View Full Version : anyone with a smart phone re data usage

happymowin
16-02-2012, 08:49 PM
hey all
\
wondering how much data use will cost me on my plan

just want to look up the weather on the bom site or google a phone number occasionally.

how much data does stuff like that use a month (no dl'ing xxx lol) need to know how much MB's data light use like that is, so i can see what my plan should be set up as

any help appreciated, thanks

PaulG
16-02-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm still trying to understand mine after a few months of having it.

Was going to get a $45 plan but the shop (Crazy Johns/Vodafone) talked me into a $55 plan but so far I haven't had a bill under $85.

Supposed to have $500 worth of calls and text, plus 2GB of data but 'apparently' if you believe my bill I'm going over that. And I don't use the data a lot; weather, news, bit of Bookface and that's about it!

Mick
16-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Check out Amaysim. They use Optus network but unlimited text, calls (not 1300 etc numbers or international) and 4G of data. $40/mth no contract.
http://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-plans/amaysim-unlimited.html/

happymowin
16-02-2012, 09:35 PM
thanks mick, but im a telstra supporter, sorry

used to work for them, and i understand all these other companies are just sending your money in the way of profits overseas, while using the telstra networks etc'

makes me mad some of the things telstra is made to do, as a "public service" and none of the other telcos have to

not a level playing field lol

support aussie companies, use telstra

Mick
16-02-2012, 10:17 PM
No Telstra service at my place!

Chris B
16-02-2012, 10:27 PM
200mb a month should be heaps for checking that kinda stuff everyday including email. if you start watching youtube etc.. then thats when you start to rack up the downloads

dooley
16-02-2012, 10:40 PM
support aussie companies, use telstra

who then send their help desk to offshore call centers.

Optus have 2 gig $55 a month plans for samsungs, I''ve only ever used 4oo mb and that was flogging it

PaulG
16-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Yep, just like they're all doing. The banks, the airlines, textile/clothing/boot manufacturers, car companies and on it goes.

When the mining boom finally dries up in however many years this country is truly going to be stuffed.

happymowin
17-02-2012, 05:25 AM
who then send their help desk to offshore call centers.

yep, they all have offshore call centres,

for instance, when you put your home phone with optus, its still the telstra infrastructure that is used, telstra is forced to give optus for example 10 % off what they would charge you direct, then optus gives you 5% off, taking 5% for themselves which they havent done ANYTHING for, then the profit is sent overseas.

so you get 5% off, but australia misses out on the other 5%.

wonder why your phone bills keep getting higher?

cos of this sort of scenario.

remember, i used to work for them, so did my wife, so did her dad,

weve seen it all come in, and it still wows me what telstra has to put up with

another is the public phone boxes - telstra is FORCED by the government to supply them, at a LOSS to the company, but no other company is expected to chip in.

another is the rural guys - telstra is forced to supply phone services to remote areas at a GIANT loss to the company, and if you havent guessed where this is going, none of the other telcos chips in.

the other telcos are only interested in the "cream", the std "trunk" business between bris, syd and melb, and mobiles.

annoys the hell out of me.

so next time consider telstra, and their australian employees, tell optus and the others to bugger off.

edbeek
17-02-2012, 06:16 AM
My bro worked for Telstra for close to 30 years and he used to put up the same arguments about the other telcos bludging off Telstra's network too.

I'm not sure what happened when he resigned, but seems like Telstra told him and thousands of other employees to just 'bugger off'.

Now he won't have a bar of Telstra, and I think he would like to disown me because I still have Telstra for all of my services. :)

I always lived where Telstra was the only provider(for mobile) so I never had a choice, but now I live closer to civilisation the alternatives look tempting.

I'm thinking of getting a smart phone ATM. I'd like to stay with Telstra because they do have a good reliable mobile network and the best coverage but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $15-20/month. I suppose 1 missed call could cost me much more in a lost job.

Looking at the $49 plan from Telstra. Can't remember exactly, but I think it gives $450 of calls and 1.5 gigs of data. That would be heaps for me.

happymowin
17-02-2012, 06:35 AM
yeah, capped plans are the best

one thing to remember with plans, the level you start the plan at is your MINIMUM, you can always increase it, then decrease it to the starting level later, (for exapmple, make the starting point your winter usage, then when summer comes, increase the plan, then decrease it again come winter,)

you can start it at what minimum level you have to to get the handset you want, then immediately increase it if youre using it heaps atm

you can never go below what you started at.

mine is on a $79 plan atm, and i never go above that usage, i have to get a new plan soon, so i can get another free (spare) handset, - my wife won this smart phone at a shopping centre, and i have to say im hooked on them now - so easy to text, and read stuff, looks fancy too, lol

cheers

and thanks for the info on your data usages, i'll ring telstra and check what data i get with my plan

:)

Stripes
17-02-2012, 02:15 PM
I used about 400MB for the month I have had my iphone which is basically looking up the weather and a few bits and pieces, and my kids have watched a bit of stuff on youtube which would chew it up a lot more. 200MB would probably be enough. I have 2gb on my plan including free bookface. There are also plenty of places with free wi fi as well so you can use theirs where possible. I am on a $69 plan with Voda which has 2GB of data and $650 in calls per month. Telstra should have something similar.

fairdinkum
17-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Just be careful with voice mail as it is not always included in the cap and they charge heaps for it.

Bluey
17-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Poor old Telstra...getting ripped off by the other telcos. Hope it doesn't upset thier mask the bloody bandits. Making record profits all the time. As for offshore call centers just don't use a company who uses them if it upsets you. Won't be long before none of our infrastructure support is based here. Bloody disgrace it is and the useless bloody government wont lift a finger to support our own companies. Enough to make you want to have a beer. Hmmmmm now there is an idea.

AL73
17-02-2012, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=Bluey;90562]Poor old Telstra...getting ripped off by the other telcos. Hope it doesn't upset thier mask the bloody bandits. Making record profits all the time. As for offshore call centers just don't use a company who uses them if it upsets you. Won't be long before none of our infrastructure support is based here. Bloody disgrace it is and the useless bloody government wont lift a finger to support our own companies. Enough to make you want to have a beer. Hmmmmm now there is an idea.
mmmmmmmmbeer.

dooley
17-02-2012, 09:52 PM
happymowing,

Telecom was sold ""as is"" to become Telstra, with the attached conditions they provided services that Telecom already had in place, like phone booths and services to remote areas. If it was such a sore point then the share holders could have done something about it before buying Telecom / Telstra. Telstra was never forced to do anything, that's the way it was sold. If it wasn't made in to law as a declared service, then no one outside a major city would have landlines. Is this something you would prefer to see?

There are conditions attached to to the way Telstra behaves because in the Australian telco landscape it is unique as it owns the network and sells the network and uses the same network. Do you honestly think that without any forced behavior that Telstra would allow any other company access to its network? And without access to its network, no other company would be able to offer competitive services, and there would be massive price hikes by the company that has a MONOPOLY, that is, Telstra. The ACCC ensures that Telstra doesn't sell Bigpond internet connections at a price lower than it sells the same connection to other ISPs. I think that's fair, it fosters competition and growth.

Telstra charges my ISP $10 more to supply me an adsl connection due to an archaic law that stipulates if the exchange has no other ISP infrastructure, it falls in to the ""regional 2"" price range. It has nothing to do with distances as there are exchanges in the middle of Melbourne that have a classification of Regional 2, and that allows Telstra to charge $10 per service that exchanges classified as Regional 1. That's daylight robbery.

I am also forced to pay Telstra to have a phone line so I can get adsl. Telstra have fought tooth and nail to stop other ISPs putting their infrastructure in to Telstra exchanges so that other ISPs can offer "naked" adsl, that is, an adsl service without having to have a traditional voice service. The majority of Telstra''s income is generated by having the compulsory phone line in to every house in order to have an internet connection. I want choice, and Telstra''s greed is stopping it.

The sooner the NBN is completed, and the monster that is Telstra is bought to heel, the better.

Oh, and if it isn't clear by now, I cant stand Telstra and their business tactics.

</rant> lol

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
17-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I have 500 mb and never used it all but then again my phone hooks into wifi when i get home so its only getting emails and stalk book when not at home.

PaulG
17-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Just be careful with voice mail as it is not always included in the cap and they charge heaps for it.

My voicemail irritates me. Despite deleting old or listened to messages, if I get a new one all the old ones are there again. So I have to listen to them and delete them again which I'm sure is costing me money every time I have to do it.

I had one new message late in the day today, but sure enough the phone said 4 new messages, the rest of which I had already listened to and deleted earlier!

happymowin
18-02-2012, 06:39 AM
My voicemail irritates me. Despite deleting old or listened to messages, if I get a new one all the old ones are there again. So I have to listen to them and delete them again which I'm sure is costing me money every time I have to do it.

I had one new message late in the day today, but sure enough the phone said 4 new messages, the rest of which I had already listened to and deleted earlier!

wow, paul odd,

contact your carrier and complain, and also make sure youre NOT paying for that.

thats would XXss me right off, (who's your carrier btw?)

dooley, i see your point, but on the other hand why should telstra let other telcos feed off the back of its infrastructure?

and if telstra didnt subsidize all the stuff youre talking about, and it was a level playing field like in usa, then the USER would have to pay for what they get - and isnt that fairer?

alls im saying is that use telstra, the profit stays here and lots gets reinvested into the network (before privatisation, ALL profit was reinvested, exceot what the gov't made telstra pay them)

you know we would have LOTS better service in australia, except telstra is dragging its feet, cos they know they whatever they do the gov't will make them share and give it away to the other telcos.

youre right the shareholders SHOULD have demanded a lot less public service stuff - but i ask you again, why should telstra be the only one doing it when the other telcos get to pick and choose which services they provide - and just take the cream, then send the profits back overseas to their shareholders?

its not a good system, i'll give you that.

but coming "from the inside" as i did, nothing seems fair as far as telstra is concerned.

i will still support them, sorry.

PaulG
18-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Crazy Johns / VodaFail

imoww
18-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I had a bit of a shock a few months ago. Telstra smart phone Motorola Defy.... The first bill came in at $700. Mainly for data usage.....I called and found out that the smart phone continually downloads off the net. (Updates to your calendar and emails and for updates on programes)
This is all in the hidden business of an smart phone that have to be activated to use the bloody thing.
I requested they disconnect all these hidden updates. They said they cant. Ill have to go into my settings and delete them.
After hours on Youtube learning how to... I finally did it.

PaulG
18-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I've been having a look at the Android Forums to see what I can learn.

http://androidforums.com/

I have a couple of App and Process killers installed on my phone but as soon as you've switched them all off, one by one they simply start running again. Chews up your battery life and uses data.

courty
18-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm still trying to understand mine after a few months of having it.

Was going to get a $45 plan but the shop (Crazy Johns/Vodafone) talked me into a $55 plan but so far I haven't had a bill under $85.

Supposed to have $500 worth of calls and text, plus 2GB of data but 'apparently' if you believe my bill I'm going over that. And I don't use the data a lot; weather, news, bit of Bookface and that's about it!

Paul
Is it $55 + Handset fee maybe ?

I have two phones on my account(Telstra)
My phone(iPhone 3G) is out of contract and on the Business Maximiser $49.00 plan. It never goes over that amount.
My wife's phone(iPhone4) is on the same plan +$23 handset fee and it never goes over.

Redeye
18-02-2012, 11:28 AM
southernphone.com.au is the go, its owned by a heap of regional councils, is cheap and if you need to call them, you speak to a country guy or gal who knows their stuff - they use the optus network - I use them for home phone, mobile & internet

PaulG
18-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Courty, 99% certain the phone was included in teh deal at $55 but you've got me thinking now. Will have to check.

happymowin
18-02-2012, 01:34 PM
I had a bit of a shock a few months ago. Telstra smart phone Motorola Defy.... The first bill came in at $700. Mainly for data usage.....I called and found out that the smart phone continually downloads off the net. (Updates to your calendar and emails and for updates on programes)
This is all in the hidden business of an smart phone that have to be activated to use the bloody thing.
I requested they disconnect all these hidden updates. They said they cant. Ill have to go into my settings and delete them.

wow, that makes me feel happy that i disabled all wireless and downloading etc when i got it.

bugger.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
18-02-2012, 07:17 PM

I have a defy never had a problem with excess dowloads.

happymowin
18-02-2012, 08:05 PM
ive never actually allowed it to even download the software or whatever to hook up to the app store.

i switched everything off i could, and now it warns me when i want to do something that needs downloading, i always press backwards on the menu at that point.

i dont understand them enough to want to take the chance.

heard other horror stories like the one above.

ffs, i just want to use it as a PHONE and to retrieve my voicemail.

i use the PC at home for anything else.

i know all you young fellas are laughing at the dinosaur, lol

but thats the way it is.

whitty
26-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Red Bull Mobile (http://www.redbullmobile.com.au/) has a $365/yr prepaid plan with unlimited calls, sms etc and 5gig/month. As for data usage I generally turn my mobile data off unless I'm doing something with it.

A lot of free apps (on android at least) have ads in them to pay for it but there are ad blockers you can get so it's not continually using data, but you may need a rooted phone to use them (if you think a rooted phone is one you dropped in a bucket of water, this option probably isn't for you).

Red Bull Mobile uses Vodafone's network which has had a bad rap but I hear is getting better. Just check your phone works on your local 3G frequencies or pay $1 more ($366 total) and get a HTC Explorer included.

I've read somewhere (no link, i forget where) that Optus also has it's own exchanges which would suggest not everyone is leeching off telstra's network.

whitty
26-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Oh I don't use Red Bull Mobile, was just looking at it last night. I've lived and worked in country WA for years so Telstra's coverage has been the only real option. I recently got a pocket wifi 2 on vodafone's network which is useable but I only got it to unlock myself and use with whichever provider I want (as it covers all the 3G frequencies Telstra, Optus and Vodafone).

edbeek
19-07-2012, 09:37 AM

I'm in the same boat ATM. Just got my Defy+ on the weekend and just got a notification that my data usage has reached 700MB(1GB limit). I turned off data so hopefully it won't go any higher.
I have only installed 4 apps and seems the phone is forever updating things.
Is there a way of seeing which app or process is using the data?

Also there is an option to delay updates until you can access a wi-fi network. How does this work? I can connect to my home network(well it tells me I'm connected but I don't know what that lets me do).
When I'm connected to home wifi, do I download the updates and the data usage goes in as home usage rather than phone plan usage?

Also, even though I have wifi, bluetooth and gps turned off my home network tells me I'm still connected to it.

I'm feeling like putting the sim card back in the old brick :)

DavidS
19-07-2012, 02:09 PM
I got my Motorola Defy from Telstra shop, the techo there asked me what I wanted, I told him I wanted it as a phone, to be able to take pics and email. I haven't had any problems with data usage, I am usually under every month. I suppose who sets it up as to what you end up getting charged for. Yes I think that's correct with the download going onto your home account as you are using the house WiFi. Yeah mine keeps telling me that WiFi is available. What ticks me off it the fact I can't change sound for seperate notifications, if I silent notifications then I don't know when a TXT or 101 message comes through.

4 Gardens
19-07-2012, 02:12 PM
I have the defy as well.

Best thing I have done is go to the task manager and put all apps in the auto end list. This means they turn off after 2 mins.
That way if you forget to turn off Data enabled they stop and dont download anymore.

My optus plan has 3gb limit and I normally use about 1.2,

fairdinkum
20-07-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm in the same boat ATM. Just got my Defy+ on the weekend and just got a notification that my data usage has reached 700MB(1GB limit). I turned off data so hopefully it won't go any higher.
I have only installed 4 apps and seems the phone is forever updating things.
Is there a way of seeing which app or process is using the data?

Also there is an option to delay updates until you can access a wi-fi network. How does this work? I can connect to my home network(well it tells me I'm connected but I don't know what that lets me do).
When I'm connected to home wifi, do I download the updates and the data usage goes in as home usage rather than phone plan usage?

Also, even though I have wifi, bluetooth and gps turned off my home network tells me I'm still connected to it.

I'm feeling like putting the sim card back in the old brick :)

Mate if it's an android phone you can tell it to only download updates via wifi. Like many useful features it's buried somewhere in the multitude of settings options. When you have a chance it's good to go into the settings menu and just browse through every single sub menu just to see what your options are. I love android but it's bloody infuriating sometimes.

edbeek
20-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks fair dinkum. Yes I found that and set it to do that. I have data OFF and wifi ON and data usage has stopped. Can connect to the web here at home via wi fi and not use the phones data quota.
Spent most of last night trying to get it to talk to the other computers on my home network via wi fi with no success, but that's not important. The modem/router recognises it.

It seems to use the battery up quickly. Even with most things turned off, keyboard turns off after 1 minute and not many calls it needs to be charged up every night.
My shakey old numb fingers play havoc with the touch screen at times, but happy with the thing overall. :)

edbeek
20-07-2012, 07:16 AM
What ticks me off it the fact I can't change sound for seperate notifications, if I silent notifications then I don't know when a TXT or 101 message comes through.

David, I don't know if it's just coincidence, but since I set mine to 'delay updates until wi fi is available', the update notifications don't seem to appear. My only notifications since then have been messages. But early days for me so that might not be right.

4 gardens, I couldn't find that feature. Will keep looking. Have another 24 days before I'm game to turn Data on again.:)

4 Gardens
20-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi Edbeek, if you tap the green circle key in bottom middle of screen itshould come up with a list of all programs. scroll down to task manager, hold finger on each appliations name and it come up with window with option to add to auto end list.

I added all of mine to the auto end list. It stops data but also speeds up the phone a bit too

When installing any apps i do NOT select auto update, I have to then update manualy in the play store

courty
20-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Note to self..........don't buy an android phone ;)

Scooby Steve
20-07-2012, 04:59 PM
When the mining boom finally dries up in however many years this country is truly going to be stuffed.

Right there Paul we had better hope China keeps ticking along or we are stuffed look at whats happening to the US we are going the exact same way.

imoww
20-07-2012, 05:37 PM
This is all great info guys.
I bought my Motorola Defy last year on a business package and had the same 1st bill $700.
Telstra didnt know how to stop the data issue. I eventually did what allot of you guys have done. By turning off allot of stuff.
SInce then, my bill has stayed the same minimum amount for $100.
I dont know which is better ( Android or iPhone Apple)...

fairdinkum
20-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks fair dinkum. Yes I found that and set it to do that. I have data OFF and wifi ON and data usage has stopped. Can connect to the web here at home via wi fi and not use the phones data quota.
Spent most of last night trying to get it to talk to the other computers on my home network via wi fi with no success, but that's not important. The modem/router recognises it.

It seems to use the battery up quickly. Even with most things turned off, keyboard turns off after 1 minute and not many calls it needs to be charged up every night.
My shakey old numb fingers play havoc with the touch screen at times, but happy with the thing overall. :)

Bluetooth, wifi, gps, mobile networks etc chew the crap out of the battery. Only turn that stuff on when necessary.

edbeek
21-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Hi Edbeek, if you tap the green circle key in bottom middle of screen itshould come up with a list of all programs. scroll down to task manager, hold finger on each appliations name and it come up with window with option to add to auto end list.

Mine is a Defy+ and seems to be a bit different. I can 'manage apps' but it doesn't have that option. I can 'force stop' which would probably do the same thing.
Just checked 'running apps' and only the pre-installed stuff is running. Might go through them some time and shut some of them down when I learn what they do.

Maybe, being brand new, everything needed updating all at once because it's settled down now. Even the battery is still at 80 % after 36 hours.

All good. Thanks for everyones help.

irishjim
07-12-2012, 08:45 PM
There's some fairly good deals now on cap plan,I have voda $39 cap,samsung s2,includes $450 calls, not sure what data,don't use Internet much mainly google few things,Facebook,email,make lots of daily calls,rang overseas a few times too,still never goes over cap!

Blaktop
08-12-2012, 06:19 AM
I have had a Defy+ for a couple of months now. My biggest data use has been about 70mb....and that was only because I listened to internet radio for a little while. Currently I am halfway through the billing cycle and have used 2% of 256mb. I'm on a $40 plan and never use all my data (256mb) or all my calls ($350 worth).

63impala
27-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Getting the Sony Xperia they say its the same as the samsung 3 and the Ipone 5 any one have this phone....

63impala
29-06-2013, 10:17 AM
In reply to BIG CHEVY RUMBLE
Dear 63 Impala how is the new phone.

Its good man if you were eating a sandwhich in the spa and you see a piese of tomato floating around just eat it case its the same as this phone drop it in still good after that water proof very nice....

Redeye
29-06-2013, 11:11 AM
you da man Imp :cool: