PDA

View Full Version : Fingers crossed

Greenie
27-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I got a call on friday, customer says im looking for someone with a ride im like yuh sure I can help you:)
He is like i have 4 vacant blockes within metres of each other, So i start getting excited, i went down there today to have a look so i can quote the 4 blocks , and when i got there my jaw dropped, and saw $$$$$ I then rang IMOWW, and said you better get down here i just quoted a big job and i need u to back me up and tell me what u think:) and well we both agreed i was spot on:) AND we both started getting excited, Imoww Literally left his hedging gear on the side of the rd to come give me a hand on quoting ( p.s I hope they didnt get stolen ) anyways i wont tell u what we quoted But if we get it, im buying a really good slasher for the job and still make a few penies in me pocket,
here are a few pics.
P.s Im wont put me ride through that:) :)
this should be good fun and easy:):)

fitternturnercook
27-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I got a call on friday, customer says im looking for someone with a ride im like yuh sure I can help you:)
He is like i have 4 vacant blockes within metres of each other, So i start getting excited, i went down there today to have a look so i can quote the 4 blocks , and when i got there my jaw dropped, and saw $$$$$ I then rang IMOWW, and said you better get down here i just quoted a big job and i need u to back me up and tell me what u think:) and well we both agreed i was spot on:) AND we both started getting excited, Imoww Literally left his hedging gear on the side of the rd to come give me a hand on quoting ( p.s I hope they didnt get stolen ) anyways i wont tell u what we quoted But if we get it, im buying a really good slasher for the job and still make a few penies in me pocket,
here are a few pics.
P.s Im wont put me ride through that:) :)
this should be good fun and easy:):)

Looks a easy one , i got a old mobilco workmaster, hire one , dont buy if you dont have to ,find the water meter , there good to hit, lol

Greenie
27-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Im thinking about hiring one but not sure, this is the sort of stuff i want to do as supposed to domestic stuff every day. a slasher will be very hany i think in the future...Big bob would die of fright LOL

Greenie
27-02-2012, 04:38 PM
p.s i think the water is off:) lol!!

63impala
27-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Hey thats cool dont go cub cadet they crap Huskies or deer is tha way...you get that contract ull be made...:cool:

Greenie
27-02-2012, 05:14 PM
just looking around, where can i buy a slasher around sydney and which ones are good?

Greenie
27-02-2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.kennards.com.au/index.php?fuseaction=product.view&productid=232&ctu=&type=&lvl=1#rates

this might be the way to go, i wonder what a day rate is:):)

Sunshinelawns
27-02-2012, 05:33 PM
http://www.kennards.com.au/index.php?fuseaction=product.view&productid=232&ctu=&type=&lvl=1#rates

this might be the way to go, i wonder what a day rate is:):)

Greenie I know up here in Brisbane it is $116 per 24 hrs or $501 for the week.

Andy B
27-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Down here, they are about $140 for the day and $30 per puncture.

http://www.dawnmowers.com.au/garden-equipment-hire.php

63impala
27-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I quoted a bunning back in tha day and funny this a spotlight store that had like 3 day of hedgeing didnt get it tho the guys job was to fish for qoutes a saleman very sly lol lol:cool:

Stripes
27-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Hate to put a downer on it, but don't get your hopes up too much. These vacant blocks are the type of jobs where they can ring 7 or 8 different companies to quote and pick whoever is cheapest. There is no need for them to be home to show you anything. I've wasted plenty of time on them in the past, but hopefully you will pick them up.

If you do get them I would look at using the brushcutter with a blade on, especially the first two pics anyway. I helped another forum member on a job last week on a very similar job and it didn't take long at all with the bull handle whip with the blade on. You can go a little higher and are able to see hidden objects a little better than with a slasher mower.

Greenie
27-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Hate to put a downer on it, but don't get your hopes up too much. These vacant blocks are the type of jobs where they can ring 7 or 8 different companies to quote and pick whoever is cheapest. There is no need for them to be home to show you anything. I've wasted plenty of time on them in the past, but hopefully you will pick them up.

If you do get them I would look at using the brushcutter with a blade on, especially the first two pics anyway. I helped another forum member on a job last week on a very similar job and it didn't take long at all with the bull handle whip with the blade on. You can go a little higher and are able to see hidden objects a little better than with a slasher mower.

mate we were going to hire a few slashers

happymowin
27-02-2012, 07:36 PM

exactly, i got one the same, all excited, but he REALLY only wanted it cleaned up once, then he got a beer money bob to do the maintenance.

dont go buying a machine for one job - if and when he lets you down youre stuffed

well,thats my take on it anyway.

Chris B
27-02-2012, 08:58 PM
ive got a h660II deutscher but judging by the look of those pics i probably wouldnt even bother using it. with a good brushcutter with blade or even good thick line (which i prefer) i rkn you would hammer those blocks in 30 minutes or less each.
the slasher is good but sometimes with uneven terrain and super high grass its just not worth the effort.. plus could be a hassle transporting.

AJD Mowing
27-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Good onya Greenie go for it mate you do a good job and who knows what will come of it.
Mate when I was bricklaying a Monastery came up and a lot of people said dont do it its to hard you will go broke if you make a mistake they will send you to the cleaners.. Lucky I didn't listen to Negative people cz it ended up winning the Master Builders award for bricklaying excelence. Mate if you win the job then get your slashers and go for it might open some doors..
Just so ya know Im not full of BS

AJD Mowing
27-02-2012, 09:32 PM
woops 2 of the same sorry

geoff
27-02-2012, 09:34 PM
see thats art of a craftsmen ALD mate thats is fantastic,,your trade will sorely miss your skills

AJD Mowing
27-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks Geoff but really my dad should get the credit cz he gave me the skills... I love doing the work but sick of the Rules and regulations now days oh and have the old brickie back thing LOL

Darren's Mowing
27-02-2012, 09:54 PM
yes nice work .... & good luck Greenie.. :)

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Did you lay the bricks in the archers.

AJD Mowing
28-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Yep I also made all the paterns and templates that support the arches and did the sandstone.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-02-2012, 08:19 AM
gees i did some work as a offsider to a brickie when i was a kid and he was going to give me a apprentice ship when i finished grade 10 unfortantly he died from lukemia when in grade 9 but yeah would of been hard work to make such perfectly roubd arches. I remember when we put windows in we would put nails in the end of a board and put that across the bricks and then lay bricks on top. When doing the arches do you do something similar and what do you use that stays paerfectly round.

AJD Mowing
28-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi TLL&G best if I show you with pictures to hard to explain there is a fair bit of maths involved working things out.

DavidS
28-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Great Job AJD, makes me want to start all over again and become a Carpenter LOL not so much the bad back.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi TLL&G best if I show you with pictures to hard to explain there is a fair bit of maths involved working things out.

Gees mate that looks like its very complicated and time consuming working out all those bricks and where to go and where to be cut. bet you charged a lot more than the usall 1 a brick.

Fred's mowing
28-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Great work AJD, thought about incorporating small brick jobs into your gardening work?
Maybe letter boxes, small paving jobs, etc as a sideline?
Cheers Fred.

AJD Mowing
28-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys.
TLL&G the only safe way was do and charge and yes because of the nature of the work I got a lot more than normal.

Freds mowing I have been bricklaying since I was 12 years old with my dad on weekends and holidays then apprentiship then the rest of my life so I realy dont care about it now. Maybe if another monastery came up but there is nothing like that around at the moment.

Funny story: I had to do a display pannel so they could see if I was capable of that type of work and I was there doing it out in the bush (Mangrove Mountain NSW) not a sole in site and needed to have a piss so just headed for the nearest tree. I was hapily relieving away when I heard a voice yell "NOT THERE" I looked around and saw a Greek Monk running at me, he made me stop then told me I was pissing on top of the holding tank that holds their Holy Water. I said does this mean I have been blessed? he just gave me a painful look lol but I have been told now that it is all finnished that as long as the monastery is standing a prayer will be said for me I am not that religious but I am honored by that. I will see if I have a photo of one of the Monks...

AJD Mowing
28-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Between them and that tree behind them is their holy water pit LOL I shouldn't laugh might get struck down lol ooops there I go again lol oops

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I do a bit of construction work here and there built two rock walls on saturday. Been told your supppose to have a white card but oh well. There not suporting a house or anything just holding back soome soil. I should have taken photos i will next time im up there.

AJD Mowing
28-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I do a bit of construction work here and there built two rock walls on saturday. Been told your supppose to have a white card but oh well. There not suporting a house or anything just holding back soome soil. I should have taken photos i will next time im up there.
Mate that is a good example of the building trade getting to regulated.. Hey it used to be caled a green card and everyone had to go in and fill out a form by a due date or sit and pay for a new card, the only thing that changed was the colour from Green to white just a money grab that whole process is a waste of time because there is no pass or fail you just have to sit there listen and pay your money..

PaulG
28-02-2012, 09:59 PM
That's some of the best brick and blockwork I've seen.

They look like a couple of interesting characters those guys. Makes you wonder where the cash comes from to build something like that.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Mate that is a good example of the building trade getting to regulated.. Hey it used to be caled a green card and everyone had to go in and fill out a form by a due date or sit and pay for a new card, the only thing that changed was the colour from Green to white just a money grab that whole process is a waste of time because there is no pass or fail you just have to sit there listen and pay your money..

Bit like the security course i taught it for abut 2 years i was told by the boss no one that had paid fails.

AJD Mowing
28-02-2012, 10:16 PM
That's some of the best brick and blockwork I've seen.

They look like a couple of interesting characters those guys. Makes you wonder where the cash comes from to build something like that.

LOL mate 2000 years of donations is where the money comes from. The Monks told me people die and leave everything they have to the church (Buying their stairway to heaven) they had 2 open days when I was there and people came from all over the world I saw one guy write out a $10,000.00 cheque

AJD Mowing
28-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Bit like the security course i taught it for abut 2 years i was told by the boss no one that had paid fails.
Really sounds like the same sort of deal hey? I hope this industry doesn't go down this track

PaulG
28-02-2012, 10:23 PM
LOL mate 2000 years of donations is where the money comes from. The Monks told me people die and leave everything they have to the church (Buying their stairway to heaven) they had 2 open days when I was there and people came from all over the world I saw one guy write out a $10,000.00 cheque

That's unreal hey!

AJD Mowing
28-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Yep I thought of dressing up as a Monk and holding out a tin LOL hey I was standing there with thousands of people on the open day and these people walked pased me and from back on I thought they were dressed in batman costumes they turned out to be Nuns with big black capes LOL

PaulG
28-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Do you know what religion/faith they are? I think I might drop Catholicism and get into it. lol

Bluey
29-02-2012, 07:03 AM
I will see if I have a photo of one of the Monks...

Did you find the weapons cache

imoww
29-02-2012, 07:30 AM
The good news is, the client was happy with the cleanup quote.....
Now waiting on the regular quote ????? ANy luck yet Steve? Id call them later today if no answer yet

Greenie
29-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Yuh Matt, I'll call about 4 ish, if we get the job we can eat lobster that night lol

AJD Mowing
29-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Did you find the weapons cache
LOL yes they look like terorists.
Raining here Bluey I will try and get some more work done for ya

Greenie
29-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Ajd, what's the shire like?? Wet??

Lawn Mowing Professionals
29-02-2012, 07:58 AM
I did my white card last month... you have to do a 1 day course and do an open book exam (15 questions from memory) at the end... can't remember how many you have to get right to pass.

Point is.... didn't learn a thing... i guess i understand commonsense, but a few there were struggling :i dunno:

Simmo.

AJD Mowing
29-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Yep Raining here mate

Simmo changed a bit didnt have to pass when I did it just had to be there and pay but it was all just common sense stuff.

I had an argument once with an OH&S guy on a site who puled us all in the shed because we didn't have safety glasses on. My argument was they fog up he said his didnt but when I explained we are hot from working and the weather is cold causing them to fog up and I asked for him to put it in writing so if someone fell off a scaffold cz they couldnt see I had someone to sue he said he would get back to me but never saw him again. He was a pimple faced kid that only had what he had learnt in theory and had no experience outside that.

04-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Yuh Matt, I'll call about 4 ish, if we get the job we can eat lobster that night lol

How did it go.... Did you get the gig?

Simmo.

04-03-2012, 07:15 PM

How did it go.... Did you get the gig?

Simmo.

Greenie
04-03-2012, 08:47 PM
No idea, hoping to get a call on qmonday Tuesday, they called me on Friday because he added another block, so I has to re quote it, so may get held up a day or 2