PDA

View Full Version : Ride on or not?

GarciaS
27-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Hi All,

So i've taken the plunge and started my own independent mowing business (Sydney InnerWest\Northern Suburbs). Its something that i've enjoyed my whole life and have only just realised that I could make a living out of it after reading the numerous posts.

I've purchased all honda 4 stroke gear... 19" mower, brush cutter, atom edger, hedge trimmer and blower. Only 1 of each at the moment so i can do all required work.

Now i'm trying to decide if I should purchase a zero turn mower to help me in get more (bigger) jobs or if I should wait to see if I actually need one.

The thing is, i'm still working my other job until I get enough work to quit and focus on mowing full time. At the moment I can afford to buy one so should I or should I wait?

Given your experience should I get one now or later?

Look forward to advice.
Johnny

happymowin
27-02-2012, 07:34 PM
wait

build up a run, and SEE if you can use it

25000 is a lot of mowing to commit to buying a machine

what if you cant get the clients or dont like mowing when its your job?

my advice would be to wait, grow your run, and when you are BUSY and happy with your business, then see which jobs you can do with a ride on, then make an informed decision.

otherwise you could be throwing away your money.

thats my advice anyway

cheers, and welcome to the forums

Redeye
27-02-2012, 07:52 PM
$25000!!:flush

happymowin
27-02-2012, 07:58 PM
$25000!!:flush

walker 26hp efi GHS/ 42 in multideck - hi lift $6000 extra on top of the 25k

cox rear bagger 16hp 32 in ; $5,500 ; does a passable job on some of my lawns, be better when we get drier. (YES im a cox head lol)

http://www.coxmowers.com.au/content/standard.asp?name=Series3_C1632BRBS

St George
27-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Yep good advice. Wait and see. I've been going 8 months part time and have racked up 50 regulars.of those maybe 4 or 5 I need a ride on. I've got myself a second hand ride on but am still replacing belts and pulleys to get it up to scratch.

geoff
27-02-2012, 09:19 PM
surprising when you dont have it how the jobs come along....mate if you can afford get it....great to rock up to quotes fully armed ready to launch ..good luck

Darren's Mowing
27-02-2012, 09:44 PM
you could get a used walker or a new husky or whatever..... costing from $5,000 to $10,000
some dealers are doing specials this time of year..... my local has a new 42' walker GHS multideck for about $18,000
Have a think about it... Welcome & good luck

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-02-2012, 12:57 AM
I paid 8 for my dixon and it does most jobs i want it to do not the best on really long suff but then ive been told walkers are no good on long stuff someone that owns one might say different. I never had a chance to try one.

happymowin
28-02-2012, 05:51 AM
the thing with the 3 way walker deck is just like we do with the pushies, you can side discharge long stuff, and cut it up a few times before catching it.

thats why i had my heart set on one, and only wanted THAT deck

but 42 in decks wont go thru a lot of gates, so thats what also made me pause.

im told the 26 hp ones rarely block the chute, whereas the 20 hp (MC) and the 23hp (MT) sometimes do have a problem.

i think the extra horses in the 26hp help stop the chute blocking.

think among others, it was scwalker told me that (forum member)

like another said, out of my 70 customers, i prolly only got 10 where i could use a walker, the rest are too small - and im finding the smaller oes are the ore profitable atm, so im kinda letting bigger ones go.

eg, big job, you get $65 an hours work, some of em are 1 to 2 hours, so you get 65 to 130

small job, 15 mins work (10 minutes mow, 5 mins whip and blow) i get $45. can do 3 in an hour close together, so im getting $135 an hour.

i find the small ones cos theyre cheap on ther customer pocket, let you mow more often and even when it "dont need it" (only paying $20 - $25 a week in summer)

where the big ones, cos $70 to $130 is a lot of coin, tend to be the ones that like to stretch the period, or put you off when "it dont need it"

but thats just what im finding

sorta glad i didnt buy the walker - even tho its a brilliant machine, i just dont have the work for one.

lol, saw a guy doing a postage stamp size yard with one the other day - looiked ridiculous.

also had customers complain about the last guy did it with one, and THEY thought it was ridiculous.

you might have bigger yards and a different customer base.

thats why i say wait till you can justify one and need it - theyll always be in the mower shop waiting for you to need it.

ian
28-02-2012, 05:59 AM
also if you can afford it now then you can afford it latter or you're spending money now that you will need later in which case you can't afford it now

happymowin
28-02-2012, 06:02 AM
also if you can afford it now then you can afford it latter or you're spending money now that you will need later in which case you can't afford it now

despite ians disclaimers (lol) he's a pretty smart guy. thats so true, if you buy it and cant use it then need the dough (if you get sick etc) youre stuffed, or might have to sell that beaut new machine for peanuts.

sell it to ME, lol

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-02-2012, 08:13 AM
I supppose it all so comes down to a question of what is in your area. If your in a area where there is mainly small blocks and its a fair drive to get to big ones why bother with a rideon on the other hand if you where in innisfail or the tabelands where most yards a big and acerage is close you wouldnt even really bother starting without one. I wish i had brought one when i had started some days others i think why have i got this machine is it worth the added expenses $105 for blades installed your self, services, higher fuel consumption.

GarciaS
28-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the advise much appreciated!

A bit to think about, but for now i'll hold off on getting one. I'll keep the money aside so if I need it in the future its there.

Thanks again.