PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Starting....

355 tonner
02-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Well... I think im ready to take the plung into a mowing business. Ive got plenty experincae in it owning many acrerage properties over the years and really dislike working for other as i prefer to stand on my own two feet..

Ive got the following as for gear:

rst 250 makita whipper
sthil whipper 4 stroke
briggs 4 stroke mower
greenfeild 34 in fast cut
390 sthil chainsaw

Over the past few weeks ive been working for a aged care company doing lawns for them. Tey pay $18.00 per hour and dont really do the whole garden care thing so ive decided to flick the mowing and do the garden care for myself. the director is my next door neigbour so getting the tender wont be a problem and ill top it up with my own lawns. also my mate has a little run of some 33 cleints that he has been doing for some time while he is waiting for the A.F.G(Air Force Gaurd) intake to happen. So there now my as soon as i want them.

Ive been a realestate agent in a past life so ive spoken to the agencies that i know and it seems that angle mite be covered too?

As for advertising im thinging the following

Facebook page
Website
Local Paper
Realestate Agents
letter box drops
Trailer signage

and last one "Small Signage" say a5 size core flute signs. im not sure why you guys dont do that but i see it as 24 hr advertisment for your business? maybe one of you gurus can tell me why?

anyway hope to see some of you out and about and dont forget to wave or toot....hahaha

Ben...

BeetleJuice
02-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi,Could you explain this statement i don’t understand what you’re saying here.
and last one "Small Signage" say a5 size core flute signs.

By the way which state R U in.

Stump
02-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Where are you thinking of putting core flute signs? You will find that clients will not want them on their lawns. I am guessing the aged care facility is employing you as an employee? and not a contractor? You will need to charge at least 3 times this to make your business work. Welcome to the forum.

BeetleJuice
02-03-2012, 11:45 PM
core flute signs?
Ah is that what they are,never heard of them before.

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Hey stump,

yeah mate employee with them...im just really helping them out for a little bit while an employee is over seas... and yes i wont be a money for beer bob type of bloke... i dont belive in undercutting peope...I was at the top of my game in realestate which has afforded me this lifestyle of working when i want... I charged top dollar for my services and DIDNT discount a cent....

Matter a fact ill tell you all a little trick i used...

I would take photos of other agents properties in my area when they sometimes under quoted me and publish what they sold it for in my email database monthly blog.. then i would take a photo of my homes i had sold that month with the published price being ofcourse higher and showing somtime a differance of up to 10 to 20% capital for my owners....do you think that agent got called back to that street ever again...

My main slogans were "Your home is worth more with Benjamin Price" or "Continually putting ALL his owners on "Sold St" (I have SOLD ST number plates on my m3 BMW

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Hey BT,

QLD mate...Gold Coast

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 01:07 AM
hey stump...

Was just thinking about what you posted about the core flute signs and well... i beg to differ???? I sure with a free service ie weed spraying or a bit more extra care people wouldnt mind a small sign noting who cares for there lawn....About the size of a spear pump in use sign i think would do the trick...Why dont you ask 10 cleints on monday would they do it for you....if your service is PERFECT im sure they would love to help! You mite be shocked???

imoww
03-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Wasn't suppose to be "Your home is worth more with Benjamin Button"?????

happymowin
03-03-2012, 06:03 AM
hey stump...

Was just thinking about what you posted about the core flute signs and well... i beg to differ???? I sure with a free service ie weed spraying or a bit more extra care people wouldnt mind a small sign noting who cares for there lawn....About the size of a spear pump in use sign i think would do the trick...Why dont you ask 10 cleints on monday would they do it for you....if your service is PERFECT im sure they would love to help! You mite be shocked???

i agree, if youve never ASKED, you wont know.

and like you say, give them something in return that doesnt COST you much but has a high PERCEIVED VALUE.

lol, you and me are gonna get on ok 355, lol

welcome to the forum

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Wasn't suppose to be "Your home is worth more with Benjamin Button"?????

hahahahahahh yeah good one imoww!!!! I like it!!!!

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 09:33 AM
i agree, if youve never ASKED, you wont know.

and like you say, give them something in return that doesnt COST you much but has a high PERCEIVED VALUE.

lol, you and me are gonna get on ok 355, lol

welcome to the forum

Thankyou for the warm into Happy...Ill be looking for some good advice mate so hopfully my questions dont run thin on ya....ahahahahh

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 09:42 AM
The "PERCEIVED VALUE" of my realestate sign boards up and down the same streets all the time PERCEIVED me to be the area expert and the one that sells byfar the loins share in the neighbourhood.

So, from a mowing point of veiw driving down "Mr Home Owners" street and seeing ie; "abc mowing & services" signs one after the other it would stamp you into ther minds as the go to guy for mowing and garden care. give it time and youll have em all...

Andy B
03-03-2012, 09:46 AM
355 tonner sounds like a holden ute, where's the piccy? :)

Chris B
03-03-2012, 09:51 AM
The "PERCEIVED VALUE" of my realestate sign boards up and down the same streets all the time PERCEIVED me to be the area expert and the one that sells byfar the loins share in the neighbourhood.

So, from a mowing point of veiw driving down "Mr Home Owners" street and seeing ie; "abc mowing & services" signs one after the other it would stamp you into ther minds as the go to guy for mowing and garden care. give it time and youll have em all...

i dont really like your m3 number plate but your signs idea definitely makes sense :)

Chris B
03-03-2012, 09:53 AM
would you offer a little incentive like a free weedspray etc.. to put up the signs? i remember a real estate agent once gave us some scratchie tickets in return for him putting up a "auction this way" sign with an arrow pointing down the street or something like that

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 10:19 AM
355 tonner sounds like a holden ute, where's the piccy? :)

yes mate 355 stroker hz gts one tonner getting rebuilt at the moment in my new shed...hmmm pics i dont think so plus how would you like pics of a thousand peices over the shed floor...hhahahaha

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 10:20 AM
would you offer a little incentive like a free weedspray etc.. to put up the signs? i remember a real estate agent once gave us some scratchie tickets in return for him putting up a "auction this way" sign with an arrow pointing down the street or something like that

Did he get your details why he was at it????? a smart operator would of????

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 10:23 AM
i dont really like your m3 number plate but your signs idea definitely makes sense :)

Its a knob head number plate but your missing the point people would see my sold st bmw and say hey looks like Bens selling another neighbours house? top of mind thats the key...

Chris B
03-03-2012, 10:35 AM
nah dont think he got anyone's details. yeh i see your point. good car

happymowin
03-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi,Could you explain this statement i don’t understand what you’re saying here.
and last one "Small Signage" say a5 size core flute signs.

By the way which state R U in.

coreflute is that plastic stuff with little ribs or fine holes running thru it, ie the core is fluted (like a cardboard box sometimes has fluted core, but its the plastic one for outdoors)

you know the ones i mean, you just got thrown by the name

cheers

South East Mowing
03-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Its a knob head number plate but your missing the point people would see my sold st bmw and say hey looks like Bens selling another neighbours house? top of mind thats the key...

The trick is to combine this with many other "local" advertising points to be in the clients mind when they think about getting theirs done. Many build strength to the name if done correctly. Thats my view anyway.
How long can they be left there for ?

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 01:08 PM
The trick is to combine this with many other "local" advertising points to be in the clients mind when they think about getting theirs done. Many build strength to the name if done correctly. Thats my view anyway.

well I should think as long as they are happy with your services...It would be a good litmus test to say the least...no sign displayed your about to loose the contract?

make sense?

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
As far as media advertisment goes this is something i saw years ago an jumped on the band wagon and have made good money from...plus its free depending on how you set it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SuNx0UrnEo

after watching thos tell me how long your business could survive being an "Old School" system.

Stump
03-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Happy/355 tonner, the reason I would not bother is that you would only want your name infront of showcase lawns, who usually have fussy petty owners who don't give a sh#t about you or your business. 90% of my lawns are dandelion filled rubbish, that look good for a couple of days a cycle. Who would really want to put their name to them a week later? I have however thought about giving a free service to a particular house on a busy intersection with a big fence that would hold a large sign on, and not take anything away from the house as its on the blind side. Perhaps you can report back with your experiences with the core flutes 355.
I would be more inclined to put out marketing with an offer rather than "joe bloe does my lawn" angle. I dare say that other lawnies will know exactly who to market to next time around.

South East Mowing
03-03-2012, 05:47 PM

I meant council regulations!

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 06:31 PM
I meant council regulations!

yes thats a grey area this one...realestate signs are only to the below specs:

General Criteria

(a) A General Sign will only be approved when it can be clearly demonstrated that the proposed sign will achieve a majority of the following -

i. the sign will enhance the amenity of the area;
ii. the sign will screen an unsightly view;
iii. the sign will become a significant symbol in its own right and be an integral part of the area’s image and identity;
iv. the sign will benefit the local community;
v. the sign will not detract from the natural beauty of an area;
vi. the sign will fulfil an identified need in the area;
vii. the sign will advertise a major tourist attraction within the Gold Coast City Council area.

(b) The maximum size allowed is 42.5sqm per face.

(c) The maximum angle between the faces allowed for a “V” sign is 45 degrees. Signs with an angle greater than this are considered to be single faced.

(d) The minimum distance allowed between General Signs is 1 kilometre in any direction.

(e) General signs will not be approved in the following City Precincts.

i. Residential Precincts
ii. Rural Precincts
iii. Recreational Precincts

(f) Notwithstanding the above Council may approve general sign applications which do not comply with the provisions of the Local Law Policy No. 7 when it can be clearly demonstrated the sign will achieve a major reduction of general signage adjacent to a declared road.

Google is your friend with this one id be checking your local aurthority before proceeding though

355 tonner
03-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Happy/355 tonner, the reason I would not bother is that you would only want your name infront of showcase lawns, who usually have fussy petty owners who don't give a sh#t about you or your business. 90% of my lawns are dandelion filled rubbish, that look good for a couple of days a cycle. Who would really want to put their name to them a week later? I have however thought about giving a free service to a particular house on a busy intersection with a big fence that would hold a large sign on, and not take anything away from the house as its on the blind side. Perhaps you can report back with your experiences with the core flutes 355.
I would be more inclined to put out marketing with an offer rather than "joe bloe does my lawn" angle. I dare say that other lawnies will know exactly who to market to next time around.

hey stump,

yes mate ofcourse you would choose your advertisment wisely and not advertise a bare bindy patch but im sure you would have a few beautys on your books too mate.

Im sure it would be ok here on the gold coast as even your local tities bars and brothers advertise on the back highway on 32 x 16 foot signs... city of sin with no soul its turned into... a mini vegas if you will????

its something i will be doing for sure... if the council pull me up ill do the old new to the game plea... better to ask for forgivness than ask for approval i say!!!

also with such a small sign id doubt they spot them straight away and be on the blower...

Lawn Mowing Professionals
03-03-2012, 07:52 PM
You could use the approach of asking clients that you are after a few "display homes" and if you could put a sign out front as you love there property. In return you can offer a $10 movie ticket x 2 for husband and wife or $20 gift voucher etc a week or 2 later as a token of your appreciation. (that should get them talking to there neighbours, friends and family for referals). The main advantage in my opinion is the sign say's to your clients... that you appreciate doing there property and that you are after more work (referals) from them.

I was also in Real estate and signs are an important factor for marketing the Agency (brand awareness) they can also sometimes attract a buyer (99% is from online sites such as realestate.com, domain etc as they can see the property before they decide to see it). In sydney, usually a home will sell and another home 4 doors either side or across the road will be listed after 2 weeks of the for sale sign.

Reason for this is putting the thought in peoples minds to move... They see the sign everyday for months at a time and start "dreaming". The interesting part is it is usually listed through a different agent. This is where the mowing sign can work, as the neighbours can see MR & MRS Jones don't do there lawns they use ABC... maybe we should look at getting someone to do our lawns? (get the dream or wish happening)

Do I think small A5 signs will work? No, they would need to be much larger at least A3 (2 x A4 pages) or even A2 in my opinion to stand out and be clearly visable from a moving vehicle... As someone mentioned before... you really need a call to action with advertising in this industry... This industry is just about lead generation - getting the phone to ring. I get 95% of my quotes - I quote ASAP, usually within an hour or 2... while quoting I build rapport and can usually find out why they have called to determine there maximum price point (still learning)... most people complain that there mower guy is too busy, hasn't turned up, no one can come quote for a few day and mow in another week or 2 etc.

Keeping it simple with good old fashioned customer service is what I am learning lately.

BTW - a quick tip... I wouldn't be quoting residential properties in the M3... the perception would be your charging way to much and unlike real estate agents your not making the client money by negotiating on there behalf!

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

Simmo.

03-03-2012, 07:52 PM
sorry double post again :(

SM MOWING
03-03-2012, 09:33 PM
RE the council thing

how do businesses like bramalco/the modern group get away with corfulte signs that are A3 size?? I see many of them, they put them on fences and in lawns to say hey weve installed solar panels here... or roller shutters....and then the customer gets a discount depending on how many weeks they keep the sign up. must be allowed to do it after all its private property......?? not like your building a fence or shed

03-03-2012, 09:51 PM
RE the council thing

how do businesses like bramalco/the modern group get away with corfulte signs that are A3 size?? I see many of them, they put them on fences and in lawns to say hey weve installed solar panels here... or roller shutters....and then the customer gets a discount depending on how many weeks they keep the sign up. must be allowed to do it after all its private property......?? not like your building a fence or shed

All advertising signs for residential properties are illegal with out council approval.

I guess they get away with it like the businesses that use billboard posters around telegraph poles to advertise the latest night club, The rat race opportunity signs that will make you $$$ at lights, Roof restoration for $999 signs etc etc...

I guess it is up to the department of fair trading or a council ranger that can fine you.

You probably can't by law advertise on a motor vehicle or trailer either... who know's or really cares? Just like speeding, everyone does it!

Simmo.

355 tonner
05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
All advertising signs for residential properties are illegal with out council approval.

I guess they get away with it like the businesses that use billboard posters around telegraph poles to advertise the latest night club, The rat race opportunity signs that will make you $$$ at lights, Roof restoration for $999 signs etc etc...

I guess it is up to the department of fair trading or a council ranger that can fine you.

You probably can't by law advertise on a motor vehicle or trailer either... who know's or really cares? Just like speeding, everyone does it!

Simmo.

Simmo is right upto a certain point anyway. Here on the Gold Coast you can advertise upto 6x 4 on private property without a permit. Thats why realestate agents put boards up close to or if not right on the boarder on the boundry line of the dwelling. In the nine years I was an agent I have only been given one warning about ofi signs being there was one too many on a intersection.But in saying that I was selling a Gold Coast coucilers home which was taken care of on monday and nothing more was said... he even said make sure Ben you pop heaps of signs out this weekend and dont worry ive taken care of that guy....hehehe

For the most part just plead ignorance to the matter and be a bit humble and im sure most could back them self out of it...

Cheers Tonner...

happymowin
05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
yeah a computer guy i use is in trbl with the council for having a sign on HIS PROPERTY - its about 3m long by 1m high - on his shed, about 50 m back from the road

on his second warning

he FIGHTS with them tho, wouldnt be surprised when he ACTUALLY GETS fined.

he talks like its all the councils fault, (hes an a$$ actually)

i think like 355 says, do it sensibly, then act humble and remove it and you prolly wont get fined.

doesnt hurt to kow the laws where u are tho, to get ideas on whats legal whats a grey area etc.

cheers

355 tonner
05-03-2012, 09:01 PM
happy,

6 foot by 4 foot is the key here...well at least in QLD anyway... so at 3 meters long if he's in QLD is a FAIL!!!

355 tonner
06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Well im as good as started i should think... got the following this week:

Honda 21" S/P Mower
Hilux my2002 2wd Daul Cab 167,000 kms and coughed up for a tray linner
Sthil Blower
Sthil ms170 Chainey
20 Inch Petrol Trimmer
Fixing the old trailer with a extended draw bar and mower box
2 x 20 petrol cans
hortex snips and pruners

and a heap of other gear to get me on my way...

355 tonner
12-04-2012, 07:00 PM
broke my cherrie today on a samll clean up job 22meter of drain to whippy out took me 3.5 hrs and broke out the new chainy on some stumps they offered to kick me 20 extra but it took me maybe 5 mins if that so didnt charge them....and guess who now has his first reg from that kind gesture....

oh yeah 160.00 for the whippy work...cut and drop no clean up..

courty
12-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Good work 355,what area's on the coast are you working?

63impala
12-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah yeah another GC Indy what up....Ran in to happymowin the othe day you ok bro need a better tralier but lol

355 tonner
12-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Good work 355,what area's on the coast are you working?

Hey Courty,

mudgeeraba, tallai, Impalas hood, (nerang), reedy creek, robina

Make sure if you see me about come over and have a chat just remind me that your on the forum...

355 tonner
12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah yeah another GC Indy what up....Ran in to happymowin the othe day you ok bro need a better tralier but lol

hey IMP,

whats wrong with his trailer...maybe you could give him some street cred bro....pimp that **** out brudda!!!

happymowin
13-04-2012, 02:31 AM
impala, ive never met you, ive never worked with you, ive never worked on or near the coast, and weve never talked about anything, and especially not a pair of white shoes.

dunno what your deal is impala.

but leave me out of it.

AJD Mowing
13-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Haaaha thats funny

63impala
13-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Yes very funny how dump he's is i left the bait he fell in the snare....lol cheers happy

63impala
13-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Maybe bud you can shout me a beer any way....Cheers big ears....

courty
13-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Hey Courty,

mudgeeraba, tallai, Impalas hood, (nerang), reedy creek, robina

Make sure if you see me about come over and have a chat just remind me that your on the forum...

No problem,will do.

AJD Mowing
13-04-2012, 05:18 PM
I saw Happymowing in Sydney today we had a chat, we argued over the GST for a while then we had a beer, then he went home. :wave-hi:

Fred's mowing
13-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I saw Happymowing in Sydney today we had a chat, we argued over the GST for a while then we had a beer, then he went home. :wave-hi:

Bull****,he was down here in sunny Melb today.
We went down Fitzroy st where he displayed his pimpin skills............ very impressive!
Cheers Fred.

Redeye
13-04-2012, 08:36 PM
garbage, he was here hooked up to a marlin off the rocks, while discussing the finer points of mower maintenance

Mrs HMS
13-04-2012, 08:52 PM
So is Happy like Elvis now? Seen everywhere?

355 tonner
23-04-2012, 02:34 PM
happy was mowing in memphis...followed him up to the gates of memphis and watched him mow in his blue suede shoes....his got trimmers hanging of his trailer..his got honda sp on the front...

asked him if his was a indy and he said mamm i am tonight.... whooooooaaaaa... then he boarded the plane....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvkxIZdziM&feature=related

even inserted the you tube link for backing vocals as you read it...hehehheh

355 tonner
23-04-2012, 02:37 PM
on a semi serious note got a call for a clean up job today $451.00 and a call back from my big 2k one so things seem to be slowly picking up...stoked since ive been going for two weeks now!!!

63impala
23-04-2012, 03:08 PM
That mark fella better at that one....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUvPf_zuySA&feature=fvsr ha ha just as bad bro....

Another dole cheque day they wait 2 weeks for that just crazy man....

3 lawns one strada mow with compound sweep of seed pods with a 6m silky Hatate pole saw full extended and 2 fox tails down and dusted....Sickle sickle say....

23-04-2012, 09:02 PM
got a call for a clean up job today $451.00

Did the client come up with that figure? I would round it up to $455 :olympic

Simmo

355 tonner
23-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Did the client come up with that figure? I would round it up to $455 :olympic

Simmo

nah mate i rounged it up to that... it was 351.00 but i added tipping fees to it so thats what it came out at...

PaulG
23-04-2012, 11:54 PM
351... Now you're talking my language Holden man.

355 tonner
24-04-2012, 11:31 AM
351... Now you're talking my language Holden man.

ummmm 351 is a winsor motor paul(ford). the donk in my one tonner is a 308 stroked out to 355ci.

happymowin
24-04-2012, 01:08 PM
ummmm 351 is a winsor motor paul(ford). the donk in my one tonner is a 308 stroked out to 355ci.

lol, you said "stroked out"

355 tonner
25-04-2012, 01:19 AM
lol, you said "stroked out"

"stroked out" or "stroked" whats your point? Am i missing something? its a scatt 355 stroker kit that will light forth gear up and pour smoke all the way done my street if need be...it runs 428hp at the donk in a tonner....."TON O FUN" i say!!! Maybe i should pull my trailer one day for ****s and gigs...