PDA

View Full Version : thanks for a great forum

Moe
08-03-2012, 11:40 AM
hi all,

I am a newby start up and running part time for now to keep the pressure off and test the water.
I have done the abn, business name and insurance ( From Indy) and purchased a honda powered multi tool and blower but will run with home mower and wipper for now.

also purchased a tipping gal trailer with cage (china import) and have ordered some bags from Dean.

Question: is a 21" self propelled the go as a primary mower for all yards i.e on a small yard would it be too big/ or lack manoverability? Probably need to try one.

Will start reading this forum before I ask any more questions as it looks like a lot of great info here.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to contribute to a great forum.

St George
08-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi mate I have the 21" and it's my main mower but I do pull out the 19" Honda now and then for tight and small yards.you really need a couple or 3 mowers for all occasion if you are by your self.id be lost without the 21".a multi tool is the way to go.

happymowin
08-03-2012, 12:16 PM
welcome to the forum

unlike others, i only use ONE mower - i aint got room to take more and i cbf.

ive got the self prop'd : 21 in honda hru216d and the 22 in rover 560sp

i prefer the rover -the honda sits in the garage now as my "backup" when the rover is being serviced by the shop.

sometimes the rover too fast, (no gears) but you CAN ride the clutch (cant ride clutch on honda, but honda has gears) and you CAN decrease revs slightly, or just PUSH it.

neither the honda or rover is a PERFECT mower imo

the honda is underpowered, and the chute is too small

the rover cuts like a mofo, the chute is huge, the motor is big, but sometimes too fast for ferals or wet grass still.

i also have a 19 in domestic rover, ive never used it since buying the sp's

imo you dont NEED multiple mowers., some guys just like having all that eqpt with them, for the odd job or as "a backup"

my mowers have never broken down on a job, so taking one as a spare isnt any benefit to me.

ive never met a yard that i COULDNT mow with the 22in rover.

like i say i just cbf tkaing more than one at a time to the job.

cheers

Woodchip
08-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Gday Moe,

Welcome,
Also no problems here with a 22 inch deck, (Pro cut 560, good mower) on the smaller yards.
I'm only doing a few lawns a week, (mainly do building maintenance for REA's), if your home mower isnt a SP mower, I suggest you get one as soon as you can afford it, it will revolutionise the way you mow & you dont get anywhere near as tired as you do with a push mower.

cheers

Kathryn
08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
if you cant afford a sp mower dont stress. ive been going 8months now (!!!!!!!!!!) with a 19" honda. you get fit fast

keljad
08-03-2012, 03:47 PM
welcome aboard :)

geoff
08-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Moe god luck mate .....ive been using push mowers for over 25 years ( and have ride ons too ) and have made reasonable living and HAVE TO PAY GST because my turnover is well above the min threshold...start with the pushy and build up ...ive had the sp but at 57 still fit enough to push the mower easier to load on the ute...sp s make ya soft ..these woshbags on here are soft with SP lol ( let the forum rock with the comebacks hahahahahahahahah )

Stump
08-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Yep, I use a Rover Pro cut Pushie 20inch. Perfect for resi jobs, and very little maintenance, will mow through almost anything thrown at it, rain,hail or shine. No Sp to break down, lighter to load. You need to find one with the 850 briggs on it.

geoff
08-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Yep, I use a Rover Pro cut Pushie 20inch. Perfect for resi jobs, and very little maintenance, will mow through almost anything thrown at it, rain,hail or shine. No Sp to break down, lighter to load. You need to find one with the 850 briggs on it.
clever man ...no maintenance ( oil change etc of course ) pushies have no issues ...read the problems people have with sps

courty
08-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Welcome aboard Moe
I carry a 22 inch Rover and a 19 inch Honda. I lasted 18 months before I brought the SP,one of each is the best of both worlds.
Don't listed to Geoff,he's in Melbourne where they have teeny tiny yards,not like our proper sized yards in Qld:p:p:p

63impala
08-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Moe good form here just got out just stay right and u might make it.

happymowin
08-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Moe god luck mate .....ive been using push mowers for over 25 years ( and have ride ons too ) and have made reasonable living and HAVE TO PAY GST because my turnover is well above the min threshold...start with the pushy and build up ...ive had the sp but at 57 still fit enough to push the mower easier to load on the ute...sp s make ya soft ..these woshbags on here are soft with SP lol ( let the forum rock with the comebacks hahahahahahahahah )

:shifty

im not touching that with a barge pole

:m fight

geoff
08-03-2012, 08:31 PM
ahh come on happy all is good lol

63impala
08-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Any one with jobs on HILLS geffrow will be glade to do them with the pushie....lol

geoff
08-03-2012, 08:39 PM
kev theres black gold in there hills dont come back ya hear lol lol

Scooby Steve
08-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Courty mentioned it Moe it will depend on what size yards you have in your area. If they r big with lots of room to move then go the sp if they r smaller tighter yards go the pushies, if its a mix of both start with the pushie and get a sp down the track. As a newbie you wont be working everyday at the start anyway so plenty of time to get some rest.

happymowin
08-03-2012, 09:42 PM
i used the domestic 19 in rover NON sp till i had 50 "regulars"

then i thought i had a right to get the sp (least thats what i told the wife, lol)

maybe keep your little domestic till you earn some bucks

least the you will appreciate the sp lol, and then can use your domestic as a backup or for any small yards or ones you have to carry the mower up steps (i have always refused any that i have to carry up stairs - too much work for not enough dough lol)

cheers

and geoff, its all good, lol, but im STILL not touching that post, lol

Bluey
08-03-2012, 10:11 PM

Blondes singing.........

fairdinkum
09-03-2012, 04:38 AM
I have 2 21inch sp honda mowers (Bloody brilliant machines) and me 30 year old victa. In 2 years I have used the victa on 1 job. Just starting out you'd only be buying 1 mower more than likely. My suggestion is buy a good one from a good dealer who will look after you, especially if you have a break down. There's not many jobs you cant do with a 21 inch SP. You just need to do the parts it can't reach with the brushcutter.

Moe
09-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks all,

I do have one property that requires me to lift the mower up a bank so the domestic will need to stay and the self propelled was only if I secure the big customer I am quoting for.

I have 3 week days a fortnight to play with so shouldn't wear myself out.

Bluey: I am also an ex pusser only I joined in 83 and was a greenie.