PDA

View Full Version : OH&S Signage - Caution: Mowing In Progress etc

PaulG
13-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I've starting to look around recently for options for safety/warning signage to use on footpath areas and commercial premises.

Tonight I found www.melbournesigns.com.au who have a couple of styles of signage available from corflute which I guess you would mount on a wooden stake, ranging to some dearer signs up to $100 but they don't say how they mount exactly.

http://www.melbournesigns.com.au/safety-signs-1/caution-signs-30/caution-lawn-mowing-in-progress-proceed-with-caution-6.html

Are any of you using similar and/or have links to providers for this sort of OH&S gear?

The more I read about this OH&S stuff the quicker I want to do it and meet all necessary compliances even if it going to cost an arm and a leg.

Was told today of a contractor (don't know exact details) who was supposedly fined $2000 by the DPI for not being licenced/certified to spray certain chemicals.

PaulG
13-03-2012, 11:57 PM
These look like the go. Compact enough to throw in the vehicle and easy to set-up.

http://www.atraes.com.au/Caution-Mower-Operating-Safety-Sign.html

Or these even -

http://www.australiansafetysigns.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=17141&category_id=19&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
14-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Dean has plastic a frame ones in the store. I have looked for metal ones a couple of times probably should get some.

PaulG
14-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks Daniel. I should have checked the store first...

NLALM
14-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Paul I use those yellow framed ones there good cause you just spike em into the ground you only need two of them .

PaulG
14-03-2012, 05:57 PM
That's what I've decided on Mark. Nice and easy!

PhilG
16-03-2012, 10:49 PM
These look like the go. Compact enough to throw in the vehicle and easy to set-up.

http://www.atraes.com.au/Caution-Mower-Operating-Safety-Sign.html

]

We have some of these corflute ones with the plastic frames and the large metal ones. What we find the the plastic framed ons kids pull them out of the ground and either pinch them of throw them on the road or something like that. Before Christmas one of our guys was driving down the road and saw some kids playing with a mowing sign so he pulled over and got it off them, it was one of ours that was pinched from our other crew that was working around the corner. The metal framed ones we have never had a problem with.

courty
16-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Since this thread has come up I have been keeping an eye out for what others use up here in the way of signage and I have not seen anyone using signs,even the council contractors. Only time I see them in use is for tractor slashing.

355 tonner
16-03-2012, 11:08 PM
check these guys out simple.....

http://www.newimage.net.au/index.php/pages/real-estate-signs

Valley Lawnmowing
17-03-2012, 06:46 AM
I do a lot of contract work for local council and have to use signs,also buisness name + phone number displayed aswell.Been told that if signs not used could be fined up to 10 grand.Amazing how many idiots still walk close to you while mowing or brushcutting!

Woodchip
17-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Council contract work has changed a lot in the last 10-15yrs, I used to work for a company that did a lot of council / govt, we didnt need signs (but did have to have company signwriting on our vehicles).

One day we were mowing & a driver passing by got hit near his eye through an open window by the fella who was on a ride-on, he turned around & came back....quite angry. I profusely apologised "if" a stone had hit him, he phoned the boss who did the same, not much more you can do, wasnt a mark on him but would of surprised him im sure.

cheers

PaulG
17-03-2012, 09:44 AM
IAmazing how many idiots still walk close to you while mowing or brushcutting!

This is the what I'm finding here but we have a responsibility too in keeping an eye on who's around us.

A number of my clients live on main roads where there's a concrete footpath/bikepath, bus-stops etc and so there's always lots of school-children and uni students around too in different parts of town.

I find when working these jobs I'm constantly looking left and right, ahead and behind to make sure no-one's getting too close. As soon as I see someone approaching I stop work until they are well out of my area again.

The signs are just a little something extra I guess, to make them aware. Would it stop us being sued though if something went wrong? No, because that's the society we live in now unfortunately.

ian
17-03-2012, 11:04 AM
I've got heaps of these signs i find them dumped on the side of main roads all the time :laughing:
actually that reminds me of the indian guy i was talking to years ago telling me about a friend of his who hadn't been here very long and there was a council hard rubbish collection on and his friend came home with a trailer full of empty paint cans he'd found it on the nature strip obviously been put out for hard rubbish collection the guy i was talking to said to his friend i think we better go and confirm this so they drove back and knocked on the house door luckily because the guy had just rung the cops :o

Chris B
17-03-2012, 03:32 PM
so did the guy want his empty paint cans? or did i just miss the joke here?

ian
17-03-2012, 05:43 PM
so did the guy want his empty paint cans? or did i just miss the joke here?
i don't think he cared less about the paint cans it was the trailer he wanted

Chris B
17-03-2012, 06:12 PM
i don't think he cared less about the paint cans it was the trailer he wanted
haha i assumed he had the trailer already :)

geoff
17-03-2012, 08:15 PM
so it Victoria where is it:law that you have to have sighns ?????

Chris B
17-03-2012, 08:25 PM
yeh that would be good to know....

South East Mowing
17-03-2012, 08:31 PM
so it Victoria where is it:law that you have to have sighns ?????

It's in the "common sense" parts of the OH&S manual:p

Chris B
17-03-2012, 08:42 PM
haha common sense for us or the public?

geoff
17-03-2012, 08:49 PM
so john you put signs at either end of the footpath of domestic house ???? my commonsense is beware whats around you not sure of putting signs up ...although on busy roads i do put the withcjes hats out and signs for the highways for the ride on work......

South East Mowing
18-03-2012, 07:16 AM
so john you put signs at either end of the footpath of domestic house ???? my commonsense is beware whats around you not sure of putting signs up ...although on busy roads i do put the withcjes hats out and signs for the highways for the ride on work......

Did I say that? I just go with the common sense part