PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: 2 stroke edger

Leon241
15-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi all,

I'm soon to be in the market for a edger, leaning towards the 2 stroke atom Pro. It seems plenty of people have them but don't use them much/at all, so before I shell out on a new one, I was wondering if anyone has one they want to sell?

Cheers

BeetleJuice
15-03-2012, 01:27 PM
I just sold mine and purchased a 3 wheel 2HP four stroke engine edger,this one has the round off set blade and belt driven.

The convenience of the ATOM is you can make them go around corners and they are light to carry or wheel,but unfortunately that’s where it stopped for me.

They seem to be temperamental when hot.Never had any problem starting cold but if i used it on the last job and 20mins had past that’s when you find out will it start or will i have to let it cool down before trying to have another attempt in re starting it.

I have seen some ATOM’s selling for $90 on gumtree so that gave me some indication to their used value.
Did hear some parts can get scarce for them that’s another reason i decided to dump mine before it ended up being a throw away.I really don’t see them for PRO use on heavily over grown edges.

Stump
15-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Mine works just fine on heavily overgrown edges. I have the 4 stroke atom pro

DavidS
15-03-2012, 07:20 PM
I have just bought a new 2stroke Atom, can't fault them it's my second one, wore the other one out, needed a new motor, so account said buy a new one instead, I also own a Little wonder with a B&S on it, I use this one for first cuts on over grown edges as the Atom does not weigh enough , once edges are cut I use the Atom all the time. I do use the W/S but only on rough jobs were clients just want cut and drop.

South East Mowing
15-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm soon to be in the market for a edger, leaning towards the 2 stroke atom Pro. It seems plenty of people have them but don't use them much/at all, so before I shell out on a new one, I was wondering if anyone has one they want to sell?

Cheers

I have an Atom with the 34cc Komatsu 2 stroke about 18 months old. Never used it except turn it on and run it every month or so. Been keeping it waiting for all the work I will need it for - hasnt come in yet. Even bought an extra set of blades for it!

Redeye
15-03-2012, 08:29 PM
get the atom pro with the komatsu not the honda - I got one with the honda 35cc, ended up throwing the engine in the bin & getting the zenoah komatsu 34cc

geoff
15-03-2012, 08:38 PM
agree redeye..mine latest
is now 5 years used daily and still running strong....secret is to let it do the work ..i use a little wonder disc on them for already grooved edge..looks a treat and somewhat quicker than a whipper......much much better job

Chris B
15-03-2012, 09:05 PM
do you use it for every lawn Geoff?

geoff
15-03-2012, 09:19 PM
not every lawn.....thick Kikuyu are easier with the atom though....

Fred's mowing
15-03-2012, 09:23 PM
not every lawn.....thick Kikuyu are easier with the atom though....

Yer, I like my atom but dont use it much.
Not too flash on Bluestones.
Cheers Fred.

Greenie
16-03-2012, 12:29 PM
when i first started i used my atom every day, Now i use it 3 or 4 times a week if that:) :)

BeetleJuice
16-03-2012, 04:24 PM
when i first started i used my atom every day, Now i use it 3 or 4 times a week if that:) :)

Just out of curiosity you dropped back it’s use because ??
Leaves a nice grove for the brush cutter line or you found another machine.??

As Pauline Hanson would say..”Please Explain”

Scooby Steve
16-03-2012, 07:11 PM
get the atom pro with the komatsu not the honda - I got one with the honda 35cc, ended up throwing the engine in the bin & getting the zenoah komatsu 34cc

I think the komatsu has been replaced by a mitsubishi engine.

Is anyone using this new engine?

Which one does a better job on the edges the 2/s or 4/s?

And before i highjack his thread remember Leon still wants a edger.

South East Mowing
16-03-2012, 08:39 PM

Yep and I still have one.

By the way-for those guys that use them regularly how do they handle garden beds, along fences etc or do you then get the whippy out?

starmow
17-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Yep and I still have one.

By the way-for those guys that use them regularly how do they handle garden beds, along fences etc or do you then get the whippy out?

I just use it always to cut nice edge, because always edge look better with it and I save little trimmer line, and around garden beds i go with brush cutter...:big grin

geoff
17-03-2012, 08:02 PM
hey Zoran good to see you again..where have been ???

South East Mowing
17-03-2012, 08:33 PM
How is the new "beast" Zoran? What did you end up getting? ZTR that is

starmow
18-03-2012, 09:13 AM
hey Zoran good to see you again..where have been ???

Hi mate, i'm always here like shadow....haha:shifty

starmow
18-03-2012, 09:16 AM
How is the new "beast" Zoran? What did you end up getting? ZTR that is

I didn't bought it because i didn't win big job and no need to spend $$$ for something what i will not use . :doh

PhilG
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM

I have the Mitsubishi. Previously I had the Honda. The 2 stroke is much better than 4 stroke. Revs harder, does a better job on the thick stuff. Couldn't be without an Atom. Have tried the 3 wheeled edgers before and didn't like them. Atom are just so easy to use.

brettly
02-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I have the Mitsubishi. Previously I had the Honda. The 2 stroke is much better than 4 stroke. Revs harder, does a better job on the thick stuff. Couldn't be without an Atom. Have tried the 3 wheeled edgers before and didn't like them. Atom are just so easy to use.

Havnt used mine for a while, but has been a definite plus on the jobs its been used.

Duke_LetoII
02-05-2012, 07:06 PM
I use the path egder on a multifit whipper. Always have a spare then if I have problems with the snipper on the day, just swap the heads, and keep going.

imoww
02-05-2012, 09:25 PM
I can go on all night about how hopless the Atom is.... Get a 3 wheler 2 stroke. I got the victa tilt a cut. 10 times better than the Atom... It leaves a sharp cut like you've sliced through butter.

South East Mowing
02-05-2012, 09:32 PM
I can go on all night about how hopless the Atom is.... Get a 3 wheler 2 stroke. I got the victa tilt a cut. 10 times better than the Atom... It leaves a sharp cut like you've sliced through butter.

Hey mate, Isnt it a bit of "horses for courses" type thing here. Maybe let's try sticking to some facts about what has worked well for you with a particular piece of equipment and what you dislike about it and let people make their own judgements.

Some guys swear by them so they cant be that bad. I just havnt found the need to start mine up yet on a job - brand spankin new & now 18 months old.

Fred's mowing
02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Hey mate, Isnt it a bit of "horses for courses" type thing here. Maybe let's try sticking to some facts about what has worked well for you with a particular piece of equipment and what you dislike about it and let people make their own judgements.

Some guys swear by them so they cant be that bad. I just havnt found the need to start mine up yet on a job - brand spankin new & now 18 months old.
Johnny Ros & I were just talking about u & your Atom today John:wave-hi:
Cheers Fred.

imoww
02-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Yep.... I agree with ya WHeeler.. but hey.... every time i tell someone about the difference, they end up tossing the Atom away.....

Fred's mowing
02-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Yep.... I agree with ya WHeeler.. but hey.... every time i tell someone about the difference, they end up tossing the Atom away.....

At the end of the day, they're both machines that cut with a rotaing steel disk:i dunno:
Cheers Fred.

administrator
02-05-2012, 11:02 PM
We have a member in Drouin that purchases the little wonder disc edger blade from Indy and uses that on his Atom he loves the cut it produces and says it last alot longer than the Atom blades.

HI Pete i know he reads the forum u should register for the forum Pete lol

Redeye
03-05-2012, 07:46 AM
I wouldn't swap my atom for any other edger:)

brettly
03-05-2012, 11:01 AM
We have a member in Drouin that purchases the little wonder disc edger blade from Indy and uses that on his Atom he loves the cut it produces and says it last alot longer than the Atom blades.

That one u mean?>> http://www.indmowing.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=73&products_id=472

administrator
03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
yes thats the one