PDA

View Full Version : Iphone Eftpos

AJD Mowing
20-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Just saw it on tv you plug a paypal swip device in your iphone and customers can pay on the spot. The device is sent free from Paypal..
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office/Industry/U6P3M5N8

PhilG
20-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Looks like a good idea.

simo
20-03-2012, 06:44 AM
awsome idea, not sure that the oldies will use it , but would be good for some other slack buggers..

Greenie
20-03-2012, 07:43 AM
great idea,:) i wonder what it will cost...
I know at the apple store in the city they are doing this already

Sunshinelawns
20-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Just saw it on tv you plug a paypal swip device in your iphone and customers can pay on the spot. The device is sent free from Paypal..
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office/Industry/U6P3M5N8

I notice that the article is from April 2010. Is it up and running yet and what costs are associated with it? Being from one of the big four banks it will probably cost and arm and a leg.

AJD Mowing
20-03-2012, 01:33 PM
This is it have a read its a great idea.. https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

Sunshinelawns
20-03-2012, 02:25 PM
This is it have a read its a great idea.. https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

This looks great and I will definitely be having a look once it comes in. Thanks for the link.

355 tonner
20-03-2012, 05:28 PM
looks the goods....

Beaj
20-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Looks a good idea. Coming for Android phones in April.

geoff
20-03-2012, 08:29 PM
this a first step to a cashless community , years down the track or probably sooner we will have that ability to buy anything using the phone ..at present we have kaching on the i phone for commonwealth bank and you can use it at selected outlets to pay , just just tap the phone and paid away ya go..... so customers and such will be next

imoww
20-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Great idea... But Im not too sure what the customers would think....?
If i was a customer and i was shown an iphone with a weird looking swipe reader on the top I would think this is not wright...... I wouldnt trust the guys iphone with my credit card.....

Sunshinelawns
20-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Great idea... But Im not too sure what the customers would think....?
If i was a customer and i was shown an iphone with a weird looking swipe reader on the top I would think this is not wright...... I wouldnt trust the guys iphone with my credit card.....

I have to disagree. I think that people will love the convenience of not having to have cash on hand and as a contractor you should have no more payment issues.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
20-03-2012, 10:57 PM
this a first step to a cashless community , years down the track or probably sooner we will have that ability to buy anything using the phone ..at present we have kaching on the i phone for commonwealth bank and you can use it at selected outlets to pay , just just tap the phone and paid away ya go..... so customers and such will be next

With commonwealth bank you can now from there app put it in fronnt of a eftpos machine rather than your atm card and pay for items. With anz if you have someones mobile number or there on your faceboo and they have it set up like i do you can send them money with there phone number or facebok account. Yet still you cant get some customers to pay and they come up with a million and one excuses.

m287j
23-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Anyone sign up for the iPhone paypal credit card facility. I did, i received my strip in the mail the other week, haven't used it yet. I saw on the news tonight another credit card facility for iPhone's and Android's, paymate, anyone tried this one either.

starmow
23-07-2012, 09:44 PM
i find this for smartphones..
http://www.paymate.com/cms/index.php/onthego/paymate-onthego/what-is-it

PhilG
24-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Do you have one of these Zoran?

cfox0409
01-08-2012, 03:22 PM
iv got a live eftpos so same as the shops but i can use it any where its the best and costs are low but tool i have lol and customers love it

Bluey
01-08-2012, 06:52 PM
My wife has just got one of these. It is brilliant. However you need to understand the fee structure. Both the seller and the buyer pay fees based on a % of total amount to Paymate. From memory it is 2.25% for seller and 3% for buyer. You need to make sure the buyer is aware of that first up but once done it really is a great little device.

PaulG
01-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Not a bad idea. As the seller I guess you could claim your fees at tax time.

Fox, What costs are involved with the Eftpos handset? You need an internet connection for them too don't you?

courty
01-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I definitely like the idea of this but none of my customers are ever home,the ones that are either pay cash or on invoice.

cfox0409
01-08-2012, 08:34 PM
paulg ill get the prices for you but it runs on a sim card just like your phone

starmow
01-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Do you have one of these Zoran?

no, because usual payment cash and bank... but is good for one off jobs..:shifty

Redeye
01-08-2012, 09:08 PM
no, because usual payment cash and bank... but is good for one off jobs..:shifty

now thats a good idea!!

PhilG
08-08-2012, 07:39 PM
My wife has just got one of these. It is brilliant. However you need to understand the fee structure. Both the seller and the buyer pay fees based on a % of total amount to Paymate. From memory it is 2.25% for seller and 3% for buyer. You need to make sure the buyer is aware of that first up but once done it really is a great little device.

I have checked the costs on the Paymate website and it looks like the only cost is 50 cents plus 2.25% for the merchant.
Can it be used when the cardholder is not present?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
I have checked the costs on the Paymate website and it looks like the only cost is 50 cents plus 2.25% for the merchant.
Can it be used when the cardholder is not present?

Can you send me a link to that as i was told a small fortune.

PaulG
08-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Just been having a read myself. I've seen the Paymate logo on a few members' websites also. I'm considering it. Anything to get payments through quicker.

http://www.paymate.com/cms/

http://www.ashop.com.au/g/28493/paymate-australia.html

http://www.ashop.com.au/g/28493/paymate-australia.html

PhilG
08-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Found it......no buyer fee. I am going to sign up tomorrow

http://www.paymate.com/cms/index.php/sellers/why-sell-with-paymate/fees-a-charges/australian-seller-fees

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
08-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Found it......no buyer fee. I am going to sign up tomorrow

http://www.paymate.com/cms/index.php/sellers/why-sell-with-paymate/fees-a-charges/australian-seller-fees

yeah im thinking the same thingif only it took normal eftpos as well but then i think normal eftpos is on the way out cause both banks have put me onto visa debits without me asking for it.

PhilG
09-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Have signed up today

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
09-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Let us know how it goes i was going to sign up today but forgot when i got home and now not going to much of anything till my birthday has passed

PhilG
09-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Let us know how it goes i was going to sign up today but forgot when i got home and now not going to much of anything till my birthday has passed

Hope you have a great birthday. Signing up is a bit of a chore so you wouldn't want to ruin your day.

PhilG
11-08-2012, 07:04 PM
All done and ready to go. I put a transaction through from my own personal visa to try it out and it works without the swiper. This will be brilliant for vacant blocks as the customer isn't there to pay. Will be able to get numbers over phone and get paid instantly.....brilliant.

PaulG
11-08-2012, 10:47 PM
I think I'm going to get onto this too. Sounds good.

PhilG
13-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Got to use it today. Did a one off. The customer had already vacated the property and was going to meet me there. Told him we accept credit card payment. Great, did the job....got paid.

PaulG
13-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Phil are the only charges the percentages on the transaction price?

I'm really looking forward to using this with residentials especially to get immediate payment instead of dragging it out for a week or two and having to follow up before the next mow.

South East Mowing
13-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Got to use it today. Did a one off. The customer had already vacated the property and was going to meet me there. Told him we accept credit card payment. Great, did the job....got paid.

Looks like I have a reason to update to a smart phone. Must say goodbye to the trusted old Nokia.
Already have an account. Are you saying you don't need the swiper Phil?

PhilG
13-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Looks like I have a reason to update to a smart phone. Must say goodbye to the trusted old Nokia.
Already have an account. Are you saying you don't need the swiper Phil?

Swiper hasn't arrived. I just punched in card details. Went through.
All vacant blocks or one offs where customer is not there now require immediate credit card payment.....love it

PhilG
13-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Phil are the only charges the percentages on the transaction price?

I'm really looking forward to using this with residentials especially to get immediate payment instead of dragging it out for a week or two and having to follow up before the next mow.

As far as I can work out it is 50 cents plus 2.5% per transaction.

Classic Cut
14-08-2012, 07:24 AM
As far as I can work out it is 50 cents plus 2.5% per transaction.

$0.50 + 2.25%.

I will be charging a $2.50 fee per transaction stated on the invoice as a credit card handling fee, this will be good for transactions up to $80 and they are usually the mow regs. All one off jobs I will build the fee into to price because before giving it to the customer (still charge the $2.50 handling fee just in case they reg for future payments).

Classic Cut
14-08-2012, 07:29 AM
I signed up early on Saturday morning and had an active account by 11am. The whole process took 15 minutes and the swipper payment was debited later that day, which will be delivered this week.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
14-08-2012, 08:23 AM

was the money straight in your account or when did it get there can you let us know.

Classic Cut
14-08-2012, 05:12 PM
was the money straight in your account or when did it get there can you let us know.

Normal bank to bank wait, next day if done early enough. I did one on Saturday night and it was in there Tuesaday. At least you know it has been paid, the wait doesn't really matter.

m287j
14-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I joined up over the weekend too, my account is up and active, received my swiper in the mail today (delivered by TNT courier). Tried to download the user manual from the web but it doesn't work. Does anyone have a copy ?

Classic Cut
15-08-2012, 04:02 AM
I joined up over the weekend too, my account is up and active, received my swiper in the mail today (delivered by TNT courier). Tried to download the user manual from the web but it doesn't work. Does anyone have a copy ?

I have sent a copy to your email Matt.

PhilG
15-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Zoran should be paid a commission from paymate.

m287j
15-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I have sent a copy to your email Matt.

Much appreciated, thanks.

South East Mowing
15-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Just a question or 2? I dont use any banking by phone over internet but when I get 1 of the smart ones, will it be smart enough to keep "unwanted people" from getting this info when I swipe or punch in details for paymate?
Or do I need to get another version of ESET :rolleyes:smart security for it too?

Bluey
16-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Paymate is really good guys. I have been using it on my website for several years now and it is Aussie.

starmow
16-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Zoran should be paid a commission from paymate.

They can pay With Beer.... :xmas:russ:

PaulG
16-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Does teh money go straight into your account or is it held like Paypal?

South East Mowing
16-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Just a question or 2? I dont use any banking by phone over internet but when I get 1 of the smart ones, will it be smart enough to keep "unwanted people" from getting this info when I swipe or punch in details for paymate?
Or do I need to get another version of ESET :rolleyes:smart security for it too?

Do we need any internet security????????

luketud
16-08-2012, 09:32 PM
If you have a android phone and like to download a lot of apps i would put security on it

PaulG
16-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Is there an app for that? LOL

luketud
16-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah Norton or trend mirco both do them the main reason you need it on android is they don't screen the app before it goes live in the play store where as apple screen and approve them before it goes on itunes

PhilG
16-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Does teh money go straight into your account or is it held like Paypal?
It goes into your nominated bank account. Takes about 24 hours.

PaulG
16-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Yeah Norton or trend mirco both do them the main reason you need it on android is they don't screen the app before it goes live in the play store where as apple screen and approve them before it goes on itunes

Good to know. I just realised I have AVG Antivirus (the free one) on my Samsung but is there something other then this or Norton or Trend that provides more security for account details and credit card numbers as John was mentioning?

And thanks too Phil. All the better that's it's not like Paypal.

fairdinkum
17-08-2012, 05:35 AM
On my android I just use lookout. Seems to do the job for security.

luketud
17-08-2012, 10:05 AM
If your not downloading a lot of apps it should be fine but if you get a bit worried use trend micro because the phone security comes with it for free and doesn't slow down the phone

South East Mowing
21-09-2012, 11:16 PM

Ok was waiting for the iphone5 to come out. It has and google maps have been dumped so I am not happy about that. Was wanting iphone because they are apparently so simple to use.
What other GOOD phones are there that are simple to use and have google maps. Outright buy or plan, as long as it is good, simple to use, and no problems.
If I have to I will go the iphone 4 like the wife has. Any help??

ian
22-09-2012, 12:16 AM
I've just gone on to a smart phone brought a cheap Huawei Y200 $138 as a 1st phone and am on amaysim $39.90 unlimited i haven't found any trouble with working out how to use it but then I'm still learning how and what to use it for this runs on Android 2.3 so i would guess anything with an Android OS shouldn't be to hard to learn and as google are the ones behind Android i should think it will continue to use google maps

Redeye
22-09-2012, 06:46 AM
I got a LG Optimist, same price as Ians - wouldn't recommend it, as it either freezes up or crashes every 2-3 weeks, the Samsung phones seem to get the best reviews

fairdinkum
22-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Ok was waiting for the iphone5 to come out. It has and google maps have been dumped so I am not happy about that. Was wanting iphone because they are apparently so simple to use.
What other GOOD phones are there that are simple to use and have google maps. Outright buy or plan, as long as it is good, simple to use, and no problems.
If I have to I will go the iphone 4 like the wife has. Any help?? Regardless of brand there's basically only 3 phone operating systems ios (iphone), android and windows. Each particular os works the same on any phone with the same software version. However some phones simply have better hardware than others. So you want to look at the same kind of specs you would look at when buying a pc. i.e cpu, ram, graphics processing unit, storage etc. For the last couple of years I had a HTC desire hd - great phone, no problems. recently upgraded to the 4g htc one x and it blows me away how good it is. I've never used an iphone because I have hated apple for the last 30 years and try to avoid their products. But the new iphone would have to be something special to compete with the htc one x. Everything runs smoothly and the network speed is amazing. Just did a speedtest and got 45Mbit over my wifi network (that is very fast) and 7Mbit over 3g inside in a not so strong coverage area. And the android os is super easy to use with thousands of free apps and heaps of paid ones to. A lot of apps are designed for both ios and android now.

ian
22-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Phone specs http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_x-4320.php

PaulG
23-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Samsung GS2 would be a good buy now that they are cheaper with the GS3 having been rolled out.

My GS2 does everything I need it to -just need a better service provider than Vodafone next time I renew.

News is that Google is now putting extra resources into maps for Android too now that IPhone has dumped them.

South East Mowing
23-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I've just gone on to a smart phone brought a cheap Huawei Y200 $138 as a 1st phone and am on amaysim $39.90 unlimited i haven't found any trouble with working out how to use it but then I'm still learning how and what to use it for this runs on Android 2.3 so i would guess anything with an Android OS shouldn't be to hard to learn and as google are the ones behind Android i should think it will continue to use google maps

I am on same plan Ian. Does the phone do all the basics ok - as in does it make and receive phone calls, text, emails:doh.

South East Mowing
23-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Oh, and what is the battery life like?

GardenGuy
23-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Anyone using either the PayPal or Paymate solution?

Much difference in fees and/or reliability or receiving funds?

Cheers - GardenGuy.

ian
23-09-2012, 07:23 PM
I am on same plan Ian. Does the phone do all the basics ok - as in does it make and receive phone calls, text, emails:doh.
it does make and receive phone calls and texts it's supposed to do emails but i haven't tried to use it for them :) i do use it to check the weather radar and i also used it while i was away to tether the laptop so we could use the internet with it
while the battery life isn't as great as i expected from the specs, i haven't had any problems with it, i charge it every 2-3 days, it is and was brought as a cheap phone and as such I'm happy with it once i get used to it and maybe start using more of the functions i may look at upgrading to a better quality faster phone

sterlo
24-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Anyone using either the PayPal or Paymate solution?

Much difference in fees and/or reliability or receiving funds?

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Dunno about the eftpos for iphone but u can receive payment from paypal for free both parties using "gift" function...

Sterlo

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
30-10-2012, 10:26 PM
How long did it take for you guys to get your paymate to go swiper.

PaulG
31-10-2012, 01:08 AM
I haven't proceeded to get one yet as it's pointless with the Vodafone service & coverage here. I'd be standing there for 10 minutes trying to complete the transaction. Will wait til I (regrettably) go back to Telstra.

fairdinkum
31-10-2012, 04:30 AM
I haven't proceeded to get one yet as it's pointless with the Vodafone service & coverage here. I'd be standing there for 10 minutes trying to complete the transaction. Will wait til I (regrettably) go back to Telstra. I bit the bullet and went back to Telstra. I actually started getting calls and voicemail the day I switched over. Not to mention near perfect reception 95% of the time. I'd hate to think how much work I missed out on because of vodafone.

PaulG
31-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Yep; just have to get out of my remaining 12 months of contract with Vodafone.

GrowCutMow
31-10-2012, 11:11 AM
I bit the bullet and went back to Telstra. I actually started getting calls and voicemail the day I switched over. Not to mention near perfect reception 95% of the time. I'd hate to think how much work I missed out on because of vodafone.

Same here Jason. I was with Three and was told in an email they would be switching services across to Vodafone in a couple of months. About 6 weeks later I noticed I couldn't get any reception (SOS Only) and I figured they had mad the switch. I only had a month to go on my contract so i was able to switch to Telstra straight away.

GrowCutMow
31-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Yep; just have to get out of my remaining 12 months of contract with Vodafone.

Paul, we had the same issue with my wife's phone contract, we called and complained about the lack of reception and stood firm that we should be released from the contract if they cannot provide a reasonable service. It took about an hour and a half on the phone but we got there. All we have to pay is the rest of the installments on the phone.

PaulG
31-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Yep! A friend at the Gold Coast just got out of his contract with Vodafone and he sent me this message.

First up, you need to ring Vodafone and ask to be released, tell them how terrible their service is and that you're paying for a service that they can't provide. They'll say no. Then ring the Telecommunication Ombudsman and explain to him what you just told Vodafone. He'll ask what you want out of it and tell them a canceled contract. He'll give you a number to call for the Dispute Resolution Team (which is in Oz) and then you call them, tell them that you've spoken to the Ombud and that you'd like to cancel the contract. Within about 10 min, you should have what you're chasing.

My contract is with Crazy Johns who have recently closed their store here too so I guess I'll start with Vodafone directly.

ian
31-10-2012, 07:50 PM
i will say if you can get good optus reception to look at amaysim $39.90 unlimited talk and text and 4 gb data http://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-plans/amaysim-unlimited.html
i think Vodafone have lost something like 178,000 customers either this year or last 6 months i was with 3 since orange,i wanted to change my wifes phone to a sim only plan when the contract finished they told me i had to change to vodafone so i filled out all the forms then they told me taht i couldn't change over because i still had a 2 days left on the contract with 3 and they wouldn't/couldn't cancel the contract or post date the change over so within 2 weeks they had lost all my phones that were out of contract including the one in question and as soon as my sons is out of contract it will go too ;frosty;

Woodchip
12-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Im wondering if we can please have any feedback from the people that have been using the Paymate &/or PayPal?

Can your phone (either with or without) the swiper, accept eftpos payment & if so how does the customer enter their pin....some CC have pin also?

If they pay you via PayPal, do they need a PayPal account?

Paymate seems to have changed it's fee structure, & if I read it correctly they now charge a monthly fee on top of the transaction fee?, that wouldnt suit me I dont think.....wouldnt want to stump up $10 or so if I might only use the facililty once or twice a month.

But I am keen to accept CC & eftpos business as it seems a convienient and sure way of being paid & on time, its a good advertising advantage (imho) & could lead to a sale as some people dont like to have cash around or run out of it!

Or is there a better and cheaper option now?

cheers

Woodie

cheers

brodie
12-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Im wondering if we can please have any feedback from the people that have been using the Paymate &/or PayPal?

Can your phone (either with or without) the swiper, accept eftpos payment & if so how does the customer enter their pin....some CC have pin also?

If they pay you via PayPal, do they need a PayPal account?

Paymate seems to have changed it's fee structure, & if I read it correctly they now charge a monthly fee on top of the transaction fee?, that wouldnt suit me I dont think.....wouldnt want to stump up $10 or so if I might only use the facililty once or twice a month.

But I am keen to accept CC & eftpos business as it seems a convienient and sure way of being paid & on time, its a good advertising advantage (imho) & could lead to a sale as some people dont like to have cash around or run out of it!

Or is there a better and cheaper option now?

cheers

Woodie

cheers

You will find that all of the Efpos companies offering a mobile solution are charging a monthly fee. I'm in the same boat as we wouldn't use it regularly enough to justify a monthly fee plus transaction charges.

The method we use is just direct deposit. All invoices have our banking details and payment terms. Most customers seem to like this option and its free.

happymowin
12-04-2013, 07:26 PM
yeah, i go cash or internet deposit.

never had a problem refusing credit cards, i just say they cost too much for me to accept, and then id have to pass this cost onto YOU the customer.

they always seem happy to do direct deposit if they dont have the cash lying about (when i see them getting in the car to go get some cash out, i just say "why dont you just deposit it? theyre always happy then too, not having to worry about "do i have cash at home when he comes to mow")

its all good.

GardenGuy
13-04-2013, 10:28 PM
yeah, i go cash or internet deposit.

Bingo. It works. The vast majority (>95%?) EFT on the night before the job, as regulars. First jobs and non-regulars do it a day or few earlier (i.e. no money, no honey, etc). About 50% send their payment confirmation through after more than the first few jobs.

It's pleasing, but more pleasing than imposing an Account Keeping Fee to accommodate banks and other fee-related expenses.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

PaulG
13-04-2013, 11:17 PM
You must send your clients to customer-obedience school! I have tried for upfront payments/pre-payment numerous times after reading posts from guys here and customers look at me as if I'm stupid.

fairdinkum
14-04-2013, 04:14 AM
It would be nice to be paid in advance. I have a few clients who do it occasionally. But I have never asked them to do and would never expect them to. With a job like lawn mowing I think it's a bit rude to expect payment before the job myself. What if they pay and it rains for a week before you can do the job. Means a week later you are doing work for jobs you've already been paid for. To me that always feels like working for nothing.

Lawn Mowing Professionals
14-04-2013, 04:10 PM
You must send your clients to customer-obedience school! I have tried for upfront payments/pre-payment numerous times after reading posts from guys here and customers look at me as if I'm stupid.

If your customer goes to the supermarket, service station, hairdresser, butcher, gets a plumber in to change a new hot water system, a roofer to repair a roof or goes out and buys a new car.... do they pay a week, fortnight or month later?

Hell no. the business owner would look at them as if they are stupid and laugh in there face to get out...

If you give people flexible credit terms once, they will look at you as if you are stupid if you then ask for payment upfront. Make it clear from when you quote... i do it as general chat when i quote... so that will be $XXX and how did you want to pay for that? 99% will say cash for the first time, and i say that's fine. I also say you can also pay direct deposit if you perfer and I can get my wife to send you our banking details.

Have the rules in place from day 1, stick to your rules and most important be confident when you quote and ask for payment! Do this and there will never be an issue getting money that is rightfully yours.

If not, you might as well start a bank and give out interest free loans... cuz that is what you are doing.... btw i will borrow some money of you if your giving interest free terms.

Note - very few pay upfront, majority are sameday or following day it clears if direct deposit. It also helps to remind them as i send them an SMS the night before to remind them that i am coming.... My prices are 99% fixed prices (focus on mowing mainly) so they know the amount! if they ask for extra work, i quote and they know the amount prior.

Good luck!

Simmo.

Greenie
14-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Simmo has spoken!

PaulG
14-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Most tradies I've dealt with personally here will either invoice same day and expect payment with 7, 14 or 28 days or they invoice at the end of the month and expect payment within 7 days of that. My older customers usually pay cash or cheque on the day but everyone else is invoiced and usually pays within 7 - 10 days. I didn't follow up on the phone eftpos here as the internet coverage and service is next to useless out here.

m287j
15-04-2013, 10:07 PM
You obviously don't do work for strata companies or real estate agents Simmo. You will never get work out of them if you expect them to pay you the day of the job or within 24 hours.

15-04-2013, 10:52 PM
So far I have 3 seperate strata jobs with 3 different managing agents... they usually all pay within 7 days after they recieve the invoice (2 recieve via email and 1 recieves via post). I don't expect them to pay the same day as it needs approval for payment to be allocated and transfered and i know they are going to pay anyways. That is why i said MAJORITY pay sameday or next day.... I didn't say all!

I don't target real estate agents as they aren't part of my target market at this stage.

My comments was based on residential clients paying via iphone eftpos, cash or direct deposit... which this topic is about isn't it?

Anyways, there is no right or wrong way in which you run your business... give accounts for 7,14,30 days if you want.

Simmo.

AJD Mowing
16-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Thats good Simmo you get 7 days with strata work do you know someone within the company? the strata companies I work for all have a monthly account policy.

Greenie
16-04-2013, 08:11 AM
I have never had a strata pay me in 7 days, alwell.

16-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Thats good Simmo you get 7 days with strata work do you know someone within the company? the strata companies I work for all have a monthly account policy.

For my largest strata account (cleaning and mowing) i actually do the lawns for the accountant for his personal property (he gave me the referal)... So i have a very good relationship. He has taught me alot over the past few month on how to target strata properties... but i haven't started focusing on them yet as i've been very busy doing my reqular residential mowing and also guggling my marketing business.

Another one i am good friends with 3 members on the commitee (they asked if i can do there property)... Weekly cleaning and fortnighly mowing... they have pre-authorised and requested to there strata manager that they pre-allocate the funds each week to be paid. The strata direct deposit the funds usually within a week.

the other one is a community estate of 200 homes and there are 6 small parks that i do (referal and reccomendation from a client that i do in the estate)... This is the one where i need to post the invoice and they send a cheque in the mail... this takes the longest as the cheque needs to clear etc... This stata manager is really old school and have no technology... My wife rings them usually 3 - 5 days after posting to make sure they have recieved the invoice... accounts person checks and say's i send the cheque today... we get it a day or 2 later but then need to bank it etc

I also do a decent sized childcare centre and a few small commercial properties... all there terms are COD. I'm not interested if they want a 30 day account... yeah, i've probably lost a few, but that's fine... i don't want client.

With strata, you need to realise that they already have there clients money sitting in an account allocated for there expenses... It's almost criminal if they pay after 30 days in my opinion. I also recommend regular communication with strata managers and commitee members also!!

If they state that there trading terms are 30 days... well, i guess you have to accept that. atleast strata will pay and minimum risk!

Large Commercial properties will usually pay 30 days etc... its the B2B bull5h!t mentality. I don't target them nor want them. very risky imo

Simmo.

AJD Mowing
16-04-2013, 01:00 PM
If you are serious about strata work you need to get a swms and get on the lists and they will ring you..

16-04-2013, 01:25 PM
If you are serious about strata work you need to get a swms and get on the lists and they will ring you..

that's correct.. from memory i posted 2 different sites earlier this year in the secret garden that are the main ones to get onto. There is alot of buyouts and mergers happening in the strata world... which will make it more competitive for us in my opinion, It will attract larger players to tackle the market more effectively. if your interested in strata work, best to get your foot in the door sooner than later!

Simmo.

AJD Mowing
16-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Mate as you know I have enough on my plate at the moment if I go down the strata road and we get the go ahead on the other I wouldnt be able to cope. I am happy with what I am doing for now.

16-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Mate as you know I have enough on my plate at the moment if I go down the strata road and we get the go ahead on the other I wouldnt be able to cope. I am happy with what I am doing for now.

My comments were intended to be more generalised for all members on here looking at getting into strata.... Sorry for the confusion!

I haven't promoted my business for strata... Like you dean, im way to busy to commit and need flexibility in my work schedual that I can get from residential clients at this stage.

Simmo.

AJD Mowing
16-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Riiite... I wasnt talking to you either lol

16-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Riiite... I wasnt talking to you either lol

:laughing:

Simmo.

m287j
16-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Strata companies paying within 7 days, i wish, only 1 does that for me, the others are 14 to 21 days.