PDA

View Full Version : Helpful advice for a complete NOOB?

ben6
21-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi All,

i am currently working in something that bores me greatly!

so i have been talking to my wife about lawns/garden maintenance... she agrees that it would suit me wonderfully.

so i have decided to start of as part-time, after work & weekends instead of quitting my job etc... At 1st it will be purely mowing lawns and doing edges (maybe basic lawn clean-up) as i only have a mower and snipper that i do my lawns with at home & once i start getting more customers i will buy better equipment.

I will be doing my own flyers and doing letter box drops, putting on notice boards at shops, word of mouth from friends and family etc...

i have a few questions that i am hoping some of you guys / girls can help with...

they are:

What sort of equipment is best (brands, sizes etc...) and what different types of equipment will i need
would a Ute or trailer be better in the long run
do i need to register for gst at this point, if no when should that happen
how do you go about quoting
is insurance important at this point
with the waste is it taken to the tip

That's all for now but i am sure there will be more as i go.
i really do want to go the best route with equipment so i am keen to hear your suggestions on that one.

my wife is looking into the abn, and name registration etc... (thanks dear, much appreciated... love you) so that's all good.

anyway, if you guys / girls can offer some input and answers that would be fantastic! i look forward to seeing your replies.

Thanks
Ben

PhilG
21-03-2012, 12:54 PM
This is the way that I started. I was a postie and I would go and knock over a couple of lawns after work and at weekends.
Don't even think about GST at this stage. Just get an ABN. Don't even think about mowing a lawn without public liability insurance. I worked out of an Hiace van. Because it was parked at work all day all the equipment was locked up securely inside. Instead of going to the tip with just a few bags I used the services of a company that I hired 5 x 240 litre wheelie bins. They were really good as they only charged me for the bins they emptied each week.
For equipment my preference is Shindaiwa, others here will give you their preferences. We use Honda mowers but some don't like them.
All the best with your new venture.

Kathryn
21-03-2012, 03:26 PM
all the best. i started up last year.
when it comes to quoting accept that you will stuff up a few times! work out what your hourly rate will be and think of how long it will take to mow. if there are lots of edges, beds etc then your whippersnipping will take longer etc. i find its the amount of grass that you need to transfer from catcher to woolpack ( or whatever your going to use ) that determines how long it will take. always walk on the lawn, insist on that . i quoted $50 once to mow a back yard, could only see over the fence. got the job and realise that the 'good bits' were atleast 4" longer than i thought. took3 hours.
have fun

SM MOWING
21-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Hey Ben,

I started in the same boat, disliked my job so looked for something to put a smile on my face. Wife was also very supportive and a big asset when it came to help out and spreading the word. I was lucky in that i already had worked for a lawny as his sidekick for a while and worked at a repair shop for a couple years and fix them as a
hobby.

Homeowner stufF did the job for me to get started and it doesnt require any outlay of money if you already have it. Just need to make sure its well looked after and have the view to upgrade to more commercial equipment when the time comes along. Mower, Whippy, and a blower are all basics. a backup would also be good if you can afford it. Spades, brooms etc etc will also be needed, just get the basics then build up as you need it. Sthil, Honda, Rover ...their all good in their own way. nothing is ever perfect.

I started with a trailer that i picked up on ebay for about $300 second hand, solid build minimal rust, just needed a sand and coat of paint and to make a ramp for the mower now it looks new. I found a trailer cheaper than outlaying for a new car or ute, especially if youve just started.

You dont need to register for gst until you will sell over it think it is 70k a year gross (its around this figure), so its no benefit to you unless you have major capital outlay at the start (to claim the gst credits) or you think you will turn over the threshhold i mentioned before, which is unlikely being in your first year and only working weekends.

Quoting you just need to be confident, at first you will win some lose some, as people have mentioned before if your not getting any jobs your to high, if your getting every job your probably to low or might be just right. Ive found out that generally if people want you to quote they want you to do the work, if the price is right. I used the mehtod of using my own lawn as a guide to how long it would take me...practice at home will give you a good idea...1ft high grass will take longer than 1inch high grass.....

Insurance is a must!!! enough said...shop around though some places will rip you off big time.

Same with tips shop around.

Its all in good fun, be creative and see what works for you. you dont need big dollars to start in this game, just build as you go.

Advertising - def flyer drop in your area, i can print 800 flyers from a home printer (3 per a4 page), gumtree is really good, i get lots of jobs from their. also create a website, business cards etc

This is only a guide, but it helped me when i started and it worked for me, just have to see what works for you.

fairdinkum
21-03-2012, 04:14 PM
If you're gonna work around toongabbie you'll probably get a lot of feral clean up work....beware the indians

ben6
21-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Loving the responses so far; their are some really great, helpful tips. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the positivity and encouragement, it is really motivating me and I'm excited to get started. Keep the responses coming, it's great :D

St George
21-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Your on the right track mate.i started 1 year ago and now have 60 regulars and still working my main job(shift work).what I have is a van and trailer and a mixture of stihl makita shindaiwa Honda victa the list goes on.i haven't registered for GST cause I won't earn that much yet.flyer drops are a good idea. Yellow pages will get a few.word of mouth is the best so do a good thorough job cause first time customers are always looking and if your thorough and cheerful it will rub off on the customer and before you know it your mowin the whole family!

happymowin
21-03-2012, 08:03 PM
EXCUSE THE CAPS, EASIER TO SEE MY ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS

so i have decided to start of as part-time, after work & weekends instead of quitting my job etc...

WISE MAN, THEN YOU CAN SEE IF YOU CAN SUPPORT YOURSELF. BEWARE WINTER AND DRY SPELLS, THAT CAN SEND YOU BROKE OR BACK TO WORK. THINK LONG AND HARD BEFORE YOU QUIT YOUR JOB, DEPENDING ON HOW LONG YOU CAN GO WITHOUT ANY MONEY COMING IN

I will be doing my own flyers and doing letter box drops, putting on notice boards at shops, word of mouth from friends and family etc...

SMART MAN, THATS CHEAP, YOU CAN CHANGE IT ON THE FLY, AND YOU KNOW THEYRE BEING DELIVERED.

PUT 20 FLYERS OUT WHENEVER YOU GO SOMEWHERE. THEN IF YOU GOT TIME, PULL UP ROUND THE CORNER AND PUT ANOTHER 20 OUT. THIS CONDENSES YOUR CUSTOMERS AND ALLOWS YOU TO CONTROL WHERE YOUR CUSTOMERS COME FROM

What sort of equipment is best (brands, sizes etc...) and what different types of equipment will i need

GOT TIME FOR 100 DIFFERENT OPINIONS, DO YA? LOL. I LIKE ROVER 560 SP, LEAVE MY HONDA AT HOME NOW. SHINDY T230 WHIP AND MULTI HEDGE/SAW. STIHL FS130 BRUSHIE FOR THE BIG STUFF. GONNA BUY A POPE 33CC FROM BIG W AND GIVE IT A FLOG TOO

BOTH IMO. I COULDNT DO WITHOUT MY FULL SIZE UTE (NOT A DUALCAB) AND A 8X5 TRAILER.

do i need to register for gst at this point, if no when should that happen

LOL, I WOULDNT LIKE TO VENTURE AN OPINION ON THAT LOL ;frosty;

how do you go about quoting

GO HIGH AND THEN YOU CAN DROP YOUR PANTS IF THEY SAY NO. IF YOURE NOT GETTING SOME NO'S YOURE GOING IN TOO CHEAP AND GIVING IT AWAY.

is insurance important at this point

DONT START ***AT ALL *** WITHOUT HAVING INCOME PROTECTION AND PUBLIC LIABILITY

with the waste is it taken to the tip

THATS WHERE IT GOES UNLESS YOU CAN DISPOSE OF IT AT HOME, OR IF THEY HAVE A GARDEN BALE OR GREEN WASTE BIN

my wife is looking into the abn, and name registration etc... (thanks dear, much appreciated... love you) so that's all good.

DONT NEED A BUSINESS NAME (*DUCKS FOR COVER*) JUST REGISTER YOUR SELF AS A SOLE TRADER AND GET AN ABN FOR YOURSELF (TO START WITH, GO FANCY LATER IF IT WORKS OUT AND YOU CAN SEE A FANCY NAME BEING GOOD FOR YA)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM,

CHEERS

TomS
21-03-2012, 08:06 PM
1.What sort of equipment is best (brands, sizes etc...) and what different types of equipment will i need

[B]anything dear is ok. always buy new. makita is good and cheap. A lot of guys use the pope pbwer from big W.

keep your family car if its big enough to pull a trailer.

3.do i need to register for gst at this point, if no when should that happen

No. I think the limit is 70k. but get an ABN on-line.

4.how do you go about quoting

I think of a normal lawn as $50. Minimum charge $40, bigger lawn 60 or 70. Long, branches/dogbones/dog poo an extra $10 Long enough to have to mow twice, double.
5.is insurance important at this point

The public liability, trailer and tools insurance is cheapest through Dean@ the I ndy Shop. Its pro rata so you only pay for 3 months at the moment I believe.
6.with the waste is it taken to the tip

sometime you can dump the trimmings on site, in the garden beds etc. sometimes you can use the client's green waste bins. If you remove it charge an extra $10.

Tom

ben6
21-03-2012, 09:46 PM
fantastic replies guys & girls... loving the info i am receiving!

thanks ;)

imoww
22-03-2012, 05:26 AM
Advertising free:
Yellow pages. Once your free listing is up & running, it will be listed in google maps.
Create a google email and update your listing/web page from goggle... All for free.
Allot of customers search on google maps for lawnies close to their home....

Also. Most contractors use Honda mowers..... Expensive but reliable and leave a good finish. You can get the Chonda (Chinese copy Honda) which is half the price and is the same thing....

AJD Mowing
22-03-2012, 05:50 AM
If you have never done it before make sure you join INDI $145 you get a start up pack with all the info to get started and you can advertise your business in the Lawn Mowing Directory.. :)

Lawn Mowing Professionals
22-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi Ben and welcome,

I am based in Greystanes so just a suburb away from you. Get off my turf... lol

Nah, seriously... PM me if you want any specific questions answered to quoting in the area or if you would like me to show you the ropes before you start up.

more than happy to help.

Simmo.

ben6
23-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks again guys & girls...

To Simmo, that's very kind of you! i might need to take you up on the "showing the ropes" as that would be a bit of priceless information for a complete noob like myself! and would be great to get an inside view of how a lawn care service is run and the way you perform the task etc... Thanks mate :)

Ben

24-03-2012, 09:47 PM
No problem Ben...

Just let me know when your ready. I might door knock some Wenty jungles and line them up for that day :help:

:laughing:

Most of my clients are smaller blocks (400 - 550sqm) and usually regular cuts (2-3 weeks)... I don't travel far between jobs either.. 5k radius MAX, petrol prices are getting beyond the joke to travel to far and I don't need much down time in between jobs to rest anyways.

When are you looking at starting out?

Simmo.

ben6
25-03-2012, 07:43 AM
No problem Ben...

Just let me know when your ready. I might door knock some Wenty jungles and line them up for that day :help:

:laughing:

Most of my clients are smaller blocks (400 - 550sqm) and usually regular cuts (2-3 weeks)... I don't travel far between jobs either.. 5k radius MAX, petrol prices are getting beyond the joke to travel to far and I don't need much down time in between jobs to rest anyways.

When are you looking at starting out?

Simmo.

Hey Simmo,

i am most likely going to start advertising in the next 3-4 weeks (waiting on abn to come through) also looking into Utes atm. so i am trying to take as much info in as possible by that time.

atm i am only available after work (finish at 3:45) or weekends! tho i do have tomorrow off :dance, LOL... so if you can do any of those that would be great... so just let me know when suits you and i will try to work with it ;).

Thx
Ben

SM MOWING
25-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Normally you would get your abn straight away if you applied for it online

ben6
25-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Normally you would get your abn straight away if you applied for it online

hmmm, ok, my wife filled it out and said she got the application number and someone will contact her. She said that she read it would take 3-4weeks, hopefully sooner :)

25-03-2012, 08:02 PM
If your available tomorrow... I have a full day booked in and a good mix of properties and jobs to do.

I will PM you my contact details.

Let me know.

Simmo.

fairdinkum
26-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Hey Simmo if ya see a bloke in Greystanes with an old white dual cab hilux and a big bright yellow trailer flag me down. I still do 2-3 days per week around there.

ben6
26-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks for today Simmo! much appreciated... you answered all the questions that i was not to sure about & you gave me plenty of confidence in the way of succeeding when i get going with my buisness :).

going out of your way to show a newbie the ropes says alot about your character... so thanks again ;)

Ben

DavidS
26-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Way to go Simmo

South East Mowing
26-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Good onya mate! Thats the way us Indies should do things

Mrs HMS
26-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Well done Simmo....I love the idea of Indy's helping each other out...and whilst advice here and on the phone is fantastic, nothing beats getting out there with someone who knows and seeing for yourself first hand.

The IMLCOA Mentor Program has a very nice ring to it I reckon

26-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Hey Simmo if ya see a bloke in Greystanes with an old white dual cab hilux and a big bright yellow trailer flag me down. I still do 2-3 days per week around there.

I will definately keep an eye out...

Simmo.

26-03-2012, 11:15 PM
No Problem at all Ben.

Simmo.

26-03-2012, 11:32 PM
The IMLCOA Mentor Program has a very nice ring to it I reckon

It definately does Joanne!

Over the past few weeks I have been toying with the idea of how I could conduct 1 or 2 day workshop (just locally as I know my local market pretty good) for people looking to enter this Industry... covering all aspects of starting up, growing your business and also expanding.

If IMLCOA wanted to do something like this... it would be incredible for the industry! Again... I would be more than happy to help out and assit where possible.

Simmo.