PDA

View Full Version : Melb Newbie

johnny.ros
01-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Hi all.
Have been stalking this forum for a few weeks now. VERY informative, and at times, entertaining too. It’s great that so many knowledgeable people are prepared to share their IP and experiences with others. Thankyou!
Sold my business 7 months ago after being self employed in hospitality for the previous 30 years and decided that lawn mowing was for me. I’ve been doing regular maintenance on some gardens for a few years now, so I know a LITTLE of what to expect.
But, as with any new enterprise, there are always so many questions.
So I joined ILMCOA, read the manual and studiously searched for and read every thread of this forum that I thought relevant (still going).
Sometimes, the more answers you get, the more questions you have.
This is where I find myself now.
Have registered a business name and an abn. Currently in the process of setting up a website, insurance, logo, flyers etc. Have spoken to a couple of RE agent contacts and they were very helpful with some “inside information”.
Currently have a Honda 196, LPG wagon, cage trailer with mower bay, backpack sprayer, chainsaw and assorted hand tools but am looking to buy some new equipment in the next couple of weeks.
This is where you come in.
*Need a brushcutter and am leaning towards a Kawasaki KBH45B for feral jobs. Alternatively, should I be looking at a slashing mower instead/as well?
*Am looking at Shindaiwa Multi tool with speed feed head, art hedge trimmer and short shaft pole pruner.
After reading some of the posts concerning this unit, do you think it will be too heavy to constantly use as a hedger? What are the alternatives?
Should I forget the Multi and buy dedicated tools instead?
I’m also on the lookout for a mentor/guru that may be prepared to have me tag along with them occasionally to learn the ropes. Nothing like having someone show you one on one. As I’m currently not working, my schedule is pretty flexible.
Hope you guys/gals can help. Certainly interested in your opinions.
Once again, thanks for an informative forum.
It’s a real credit to the people who contribute.
Cheers
John

Redeye
01-04-2012, 10:56 AM
welcome John!
re the hedger, the key issue is weight; I've found the makita 2510 great so far, shindy make good gear too, others to check tanaka, husky - hondas are way too heavy as are all 4 strokes - you want a 2 stroke 22-25cc,
anything bigger is getting too heavy

Kathryn
01-04-2012, 11:20 AM
welcome john. as a member of the (so called) weaker *** the weight of my tools is a bit decider for me. i have a stih hs45 hedger with the 650mm bar that seems to get to most places plus just invested in a stihl combi with polesaw and hedger attachments.

Mick
01-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Try and find a true 48A Kawi brushcutter if you can. Cant believe the discrepancies in product info. Bynorm site says the 45B is the 48A. The 45A is 45.4cc but they are calling it 48cc. I hate that BS!
Im not sure if they still use the old harness, which I hated. The plastic would cut into my next. If they do, ask for an Oleo Mac harness! Money very well spent!

Might be a 53cc coming out at some stage. I'd ask about it at least. The pivoting handle would be great! ... http://www.kawasaki-powerproducts.eu/en/powerproducts/B6376ED22D/KBH53A_-_AVAILABLE_JUNE_2012

Stump
01-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I would suggest that you purchase the Stihl Km90 combo, so you will have a whippy capable of cleanups, edging and also hedging and polesaw attachments.

Fred's mowing
01-04-2012, 02:46 PM
I would suggest that you purchase the Stihl Km90 combo, so you will have a whippy capable of cleanups, edging and also hedging and polesaw attachments.
x2, I have the same but shindy, cant go past the versatility. The quality brands r just that.
If u need a more powerfull b/cutter for cleanups, go the $148 Big W pope, plenty of power, reliable but heavy.
Also, u cant beat the pope value for money blower.
Big w now has their copy of the Ozito 12" chainsaw for $88................ thats just nuts.
For SMALL chainsaw work these r just excellent.
Might be able to give u some payed work experience in the near fututre, see what I can do.
Come to the BBQ, meet ppl face to face, pick up more info.
Speaking of which, we need to confirm details of that. I'll post again re that tonight.
Good luck .
Cheers Fred.

johnny.ros
01-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Redeye, Kathryn, Mick, Stump and Fred.
Thanks so much for welcome, good wishes and info.
Great feedback.
Will go and compare the Kawa, Shindi and Stihl units that some of you mention and also the Big W gear.
Thanks for the offer Fred. Am happy to just 'hang around' and chew your ear if that suits. WARNING. I ask a lot of questions!
Would be very happy to come to the BBQ and will await further details.
Thanks again.
Awesome!
John

Topcat
01-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Newbie, this will give you a great lifesytyle!

I have the Shidy multi tool to with thos attachments it's a treat long term the back up multi trimmers cheap @ $200 for a back up just incase you have one of those days

Sthil had a chainsaw for $295 at Total tools

Good luck with your new Venture

TomS
02-04-2012, 09:46 PM
The Makita has been good for me.. just one unit in the ute: brushie, pole saw and extension hedger for $1000, and light, light, light. The Total Tools 1.8m platform ladder is my favourite bit of equipment($200). With these two items you can hedge and trim up to 4 m no probs.

You don't have to buy everything at once. Make sure you have safety gear though: muffs, hard hat, chaps.

Tom

South East Mowing
02-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Redeye, Kathryn, Mick, Stump and Fred.
Thanks so much for welcome, good wishes and info.
Great feedback.
Will go and compare the Kawa, Shindi and Stihl units that some of you mention and also the Big W gear.
Thanks for the offer Fred. Am happy to just 'hang around' and chew your ear if that suits. WARNING. I ask a lot of questions!
Would be very happy to come to the BBQ and will await further details.

Thanks again.
Awesome!
John

Welcome to the madhouse John.
Send me your contact details and if anything comes up that I dont want down near you I can send them your way.
I am away for a week and a bit from NOW!:wave-hi:

PhilG
02-04-2012, 11:06 PM
If you want to come out with us for a day or two just let me know.

johnny.ros
03-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Thank you one and all for the great info, kind words and generous offers.
To John from Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill, enjoy your break and I'll PM you my details for future ref.
PhilG, It'd be REALLY GOOD to come out with you guys for a day or two. Have PM'd you my details also.
Thanks again.
John

Mrs HMS
06-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Hi John, welcome to the forum. Good luck with your new business. Look forward to reading your input here.

geoff
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Jonny ros great to seeing having a crack,pm me for details of desired areas and i will swing some customers your way

johnny.ros
09-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Hi Joanne and thanks. Looking forward to being involved and relevant to this forum.
Geoff, thank you for your offer and have PM'd you my details.
Happy Easter to all.
John

Beaj
09-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Hi Johnny,
I have the Shindy m230(multi tool) and love it. The chainsaw attachment has paid for itself many times over. And as it's my main whippy
as well, it gets plenty of work and never had a prob, except when I put an elcheapo spark plug in and it ended up thrown against a fence.
BTW It survived the toss. But don't try this at home :)
I will definitely get the hedger when funds allow.

Brad

PhilG
12-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Hey John. Hope we haven't put you off starting. It was great meeting you. Hope to catch up again.

IanC
13-04-2012, 10:17 AM
John,
I'm a newbie from the outer south eastern suburbs and have recently purchased the Pope 33cc brushcutter, $163 delivered (from BIGW!). I've no doubt the kawasaki would be good, but can certainly recommend the Pope for the price, if finances are tight. (I know from my research on this forum that the Pope gets goods reviews) I did a garden yesterday and attacked some feral stuff with the blade attachment and it was awesome, couldn't have completed the job without it. I'm so pleased with the purchase. My opinion is why always go for the top 'branded' equipment when the 'lesser' brands do the job just as effectively. PS I think the Pope has a 2 year warranty as well. Hope this helps.
On a separate note, I thinks that it's fantastic that the other members have offered you there help in letting you spend time with them, what an excellent idea and a great learning curve for a newbie, like us.

PhilG
13-04-2012, 07:07 PM
On a separate note, I thinks that it's fantastic that the other members have offered you there help in letting you spend time with them, what an excellent idea and a great learning curve for a newbie, like us.

The offer is open to any newbie. Just PM me.

johnny.ros
15-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the great info guys.
To PhilG and Steve from AC Maintenance, thanks so much for "holding my hand" for the day. A real eye opener.
Cheers Phil.
See you soon.

Fred's mowing
30-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Johnny pm sent x2
Ya there Johnny?????
Cheers Fred.

johnny.ros
30-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Hi Fred.
I'm here but no PM's
"Why don't you call?"
John 0419324506
Sorry, don't know why I'm not getting your PM's- but I have been eagerly awaiting your instructions!
Cheers
John