PDA

View Full Version : Job safety/ what would you do

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
After seeing the video that PaulG posted in another thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUIGBS7B7WY&feature=player_embedded it got me thinking, so what should he have done to avoid an accident like that?

What I would like is for guys and girls to post video's of different work place accidents ( not just to show graphic injuries ) and there is enough of them on youtube , so we can then discuss what could or should have been done differently.

I think instead of us all saying ( when we see a video like that ) "some people just don't know what they are doing" or "that would have hurt" etc etc. Its about time we started discussing the situation so that hopefully it will save one of us from ending up being the next one on youtube.

If anyone else thinks this is a good idea then I would like it to stay on the open forum for anyone to view as you cannot put a price or status on someones safety.

It doesn't have to be a video of an accident either it could be a near miss or even something that has happened to one of us but you all get the picture

Fred's mowing
05-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Glenn, excellent topic.
In this case the way the tree was rigged, it was the only way it could go.
He positioned himself in the firing line.
I think by crossing himself in the beginning, really showed his inexperience.
Discussion on these unfortunate incidents is def beneficial.
Cheers Fred.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
05-04-2012, 10:12 PM
thanks fred. i'm no expert on tree lopping but when you see where he had the branch tied off it didn't seem like a very good spot. I'm thinking he would have been better of with the rope tied a lot close to the cut or even having some slack in the line so it could drop before swinging anywhere.

Mick
05-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Thats a brutal vid! Keep clicking 30secs!

Gravity will almost always win in the end!
He tied the branch up so it would swing straight back into him. Should of worked it to swing away.
He should not of put his leg in that position. The branch he put his leg over would of shielded him for this happening!
Im personally NOT a fan of doing any chain saw work from a ladder! But I am a pussy when it comes to heights!
He probably should of had someone on a rope pulling away as well.
Then, he shouldnt of been trying to do this alone. Im assuming he was!
Then theres the no chaps etc but I doubt they would of helped anyway!

I have a tree lopper friend whos and absolute genius at this stuff. A true pro! Swinging cut branches, tops etc away from power lines, houses etc, using other trees to swing stuff etc. Dead set magician!

ian
05-04-2012, 10:53 PM
from tonights news tree lopers must have rocks in their head to even think about doing what they do :) http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8447457/tree-lopper-dangles-for-two-hours-after-mishap

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
05-04-2012, 11:23 PM
from tonights news tree lopers must have rocks in their head to even think about doing what they do :) http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8447457/tree-lopper-dangles-for-two-hours-after-mishap

Sorry Ian but doesn't give much info and I can't get any audio.