PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Melton.

patchezza
06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Hello there, my name is Patrick. I am from Melton, Vic, and have decided to take the plunge and join this exciting industry.

I have been in my own Computer Business for quite some time now and decided that enough is enough and try something new.

I am going to continue the IT business for a while and see how I can juggle both but I am really looking forward to get my hands dirty and rev up the engine of my lawn mower (once I make up my mind on which one)

I have been keen to get started but am really dragging my feet on making any purchases. For a start, I have been reading up (or stalking) your forums regarding the Honda Lawn mowers. Being from Melton, there are a lot of gardens that have thick buffalo grass. If I started in the morning I sure it will be wet (or damp) and the Chute issues are a real concern for me. I have also seen the Masport mowers with a Briggs and Stratton motor. There doesn't seem to be many people favoring this type of mower or engine.

I would really like to keep everything 4 stroke, to avoid mixing fuels and carrying two petrol containers. I currently have a 2 stroke Ryobi trimmer but this will be replaced later, and I need to get a good Blower. Any recomendations?

I am not going to start until i have insurance, and the main equipment but this should be a matter of a few days now.

This web page is awesome and I appreciate the oportunity in becoming a member. Thanks Dean. This site and your manual is amazing.

Patrick

geoff
06-04-2012, 06:33 PM
there you another newbie , good luck mate welcome..Dean reckon we need a newbie section ....must be a good industry to be in with so many new starters good luck to the new starters

Mrs HMS
06-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi Patrick, welcome to Indy. Have you become a paid up member (I assume you have because you mention the manual). If so...admin, Patrick needs to have his status change to member, not just member of forum.

Plenty of the people on here started off part time, it can be a successful way to start out. Good luck, you won't regret it.

patchezza
06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Hello Joanne, yeah I am a paid up member. It took me a while to join as I am a bit of a procrastinator. Anyway this website is so helpful, that I think I know everything even without doing a (paid) job Thanks for the welcome.

starmow
06-04-2012, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=patchezza;95982]Hello there, my name is Patrick. . For a start, I have been reading up (or stalking) your forums regarding the Honda Lawn mowers. Being from Melton, there are a lot of gardens that have thick buffalo grass. If I started in the morning I sure it will be wet (or damp) and the Chute issues are a real concern for me. I have also seen the Masport mowers with a Briggs and Stratton motor. There doesn't seem to be many people favoring this type of mower or engine.

I would really like to keep everything 4 stroke, to avoid mixing fuels and carrying two petrol containers. I currently have a 2 stroke Ryobi trimmer but this will be replaced later, and I need to get a good Blower. Any recomendations?

Hi Patrick, Welcome in the business, for the blower you can bought Pope is cheap and work very good, only change Ryobi trimmer for something better, because you will have a lots problem with it.:thinking
See you

GardenGuy
06-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Carrying more than one fuel mix is a good idea, but you can probably get past it. I had the same idea and preference not long ago during the planning-to-start phase.

I have containers of: plain (for the four stroke gear), 50:1 for the nice gear and 25:1 for the other stuff. Just make sure they're either different coloured containers or clearly labelled so that if you're in a rush or have a cloudy mind you put the right juice in the right machine. A mis-fuelling mistake could be costly.

Once you create a good habit, it will help you well.

Good luck and best wishes for every success.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

geoff
06-04-2012, 07:46 PM
sometimes the two strokes have the better grunt...nothing better than the sound and the smell of a two stroke ..the serenity

ian
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM
i have 2 container
1 unleaded other is 2 stroke mixed at somewhere between 40&50:1 i use this in all 2 strokes regarless of mixing directions because i only use 2 stroke oil that's rated as meeting or exceeding jaso fd &/or ISO legd standards ie: shindaiwa 1 or other 50:1 rated oil .
would buy the makita 4 stroke blower again in preference to the Honda more power and lighter weight but in reality i won't buy anything but 2 stroke brushcutter or blower power to weight is so much better

Stump
06-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Hey Patrick, welcome to the forum. I use and highly recommend the Briggs 850 engine. They have grunt to burn and start first pull. I was warned against the Masport Sp yesterday from a dealer, but I will try the pushie with 850. He WAS trying to sell me a Honda though. I have A Rover and like them.

GarciaS
06-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Hi Patrick,

Welcome! I'm new too and there is some great information on this forum with differing views and opinions which helps when making decisions.

I run all 4 stroke Honda gear, had no issues so far, if anything the 4 stroke hedge trimmer can be a little heavy when doing the larger hedges but everything else is good. If i was to get another mower or upgrade i'd go self propelled.

Good Luck with it all.

Johnny

patchezza
06-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Wow thanks for the welcome guys, and the info is priceless. The Self Propelled Hondas looked like the one for me until i had to use this a few weeks ago, helping out someone. This was really heavy to use and hard to manuvre around smaller yards. So my guess a Honda 19" Cut like a 196 cut and mulch. I am very opend minded and by reading a number of posts here, a Two stroke Line Trimmer and Blower will be the way to go.

I will keep my Ryobi in the Garden Shed for a backup or home use.

Thanks guys. Really nice welcome.

May the Grass be Lush and Greener on your side.

patchezza
17-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Is there a guidance on this forum regarding quoting jobs. I have not been searching really hard but am not really confident on quoting cuts. I look at the front yard and guess how long it would take but my guesswork is all over the place. I had a price in my mind of $65 for a standard front / back and naturestrip job and the guy has been paying the Grey Army $35 for the job. So my quoting system is well out of wack. I don't want to overquote but i want to rip myself off either.

Stripes
17-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the forum Patrick.

Prices vary from area to area so it will take you a bit of time to workout what the best price you can get in your area is.

Being a paid up member, you can ask Dean (Admin) for the password to the private area of the forum where there is more info on quoting.

In the meantime...
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?9079

patchezza
17-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Cool Thanks, I'll contact Dean about that. I have looked at the link its full of great info.

Thanks again.