PDA

View Full Version : Camellia's

courty
15-04-2012, 05:25 PM
I have a new client that has a row of 7 Camellia Sasanqua's as a screen . Two of the seven have turned up their toes,these two are next to each other and the other five look perfectly fine. They have been in the ground approx 8 weeks,soil test came up neutral just verging into acidic so that should be ok. They were all planted fairly deep up the main trunk, which I have since fixed. Only other problem I could think is that the house is only 12 mths old and that maybe the painters,builder etc have poured something in this area of the 2 dead plants that is not showing up in the soil test.

Any theories?

seliment
15-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Camellias love acid soils (eg Dandenongs) and do not like alkaline soils as you correctly stated.
As the house/property is fairly new, be on the lookout for the builders having dumped (or now buried) a pile of concrete /mortar / gyprock or tailings (ie tool washdowns) from these sources.
Good luck in getting to the source of the problem.

Joe

ian
15-04-2012, 06:57 PM
look to see if these are near a tap or check drainage for where water may run to if anyone was washing stuff off also tree roots from nextdoor may have taken to much moister from the soil

Redeye
15-04-2012, 09:12 PM
have a GOOD look at the roots of the dead un's when you pull them for any problems

PaulG
15-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Might be coincidence that they are the ones beside each other but they could have been severely rootbound in the pots before planting.

Fred's mowing
18-04-2012, 10:18 PM
U mean like this????????????
Pulled this out last week, was 15-18' high.
I think it really tells a story?

ASTRO
18-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Pulled this out last week, was 15-18' high.
I think it really tells a story?

Hey fred
was the growing media cement!:laughing::laughing::laughing:
cheers astro.

Fred's mowing
18-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Hey fred
was the growing media cement!:laughing::laughing::laughing:
cheers astro.
No, sand.
Also a pittosporum, not a Camelia.
Cheers Fred.

GardenGuy
18-04-2012, 10:47 PM

That's amazing! I've never seen anything like it!

Any hints you want to share about how it happened? I have some theories, but I would prefer to hear first-hand how it happened. Would love to learn from your observations.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Fred's mowing
18-04-2012, 10:57 PM
That's amazing! I've never seen anything like it!

Any hints you want to share about how it happened? I have some theories, but I would prefer to hear first-hand how it happened. Would love to learn from your observations.

Cheers - GardenGuy.
Its simply pot bound or root bound, which ever u like?
The plant was over mature in the pot & when planted the roots were'nt teased, so they continued to spiral.
The plant was suseptable to high winds & also would have trouble drawing moisture & nutrients.
It basically strangled itself.
Cheers Fred.

GardenGuy
18-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks for advising, Fred. Greatly appreciated.

Obviously, it wasn't one of your plantings.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

PaulG
18-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Tough plant that one Fred - growing that big with that rootball.