PDA

View Full Version : Roses

Benny1
02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
My hobbie and obsession is roses. From the simply white ice bergs to the dark black baccaras..

any one else share this passion ?

GardenGuy
02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I luuuurve roses.

If you're really keen, you might like to look at a variety called "Seduction". They have a really pleasant and attractive growing habit and produce some rather lovely blooms with a quite pleasing mild fragrance. One of the properties at the Galston Garden Show last year (2011) had those and had endless "oh wow" comments. Many people though they were [another kind].

Cheers - GardenGuy.

NB. If you have the time, go do the rounds of the Galston Garden Club display/show/open-garden-day. It's quite amazing - very large private gardens opened to the public once per year, different gardens every year. Some private gardens, both conventional- and hard- landscaped, are very amazing and cleverly implemented. All profits to good very deserving charities and it's a nice day out too!

Cheers - GardenGuy.

South East Mowing
02-05-2012, 10:40 PM
My hobbie and obsession is roses. From the simply white ice bergs to the dark black baccaras..

Yep, but only when I get paid:shifty

ian
02-05-2012, 11:58 PM
i prefer cadbury's milk tray myself :)

Grassman177
03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
i like them enough to grow 5 plants, but not really my thing. however, the rewards of their sweet scents is awesome

PaulG
03-05-2012, 12:13 PM
In case you didn't get the jokes too Grassman, over here Roses and Cadburys Milk tray are brands of chocolates as well.

ASTRO
03-05-2012, 09:44 PM
My wife uses them in her floristry work.
We have about 350 roses deilbards,david austins,selected specialty cut varieties.
The colour combinations+repeat flowering of modern roses is an art form.

Grassman177
03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
thx, did not get the joke

63impala
04-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Good trick with roses are if you go fishing or have crap fish you dont wanna eat dig a deap whole around the rose bed put heads.whole fish etc in hole make sure deap enuff so they dont smell my grandma used to to that back in the day best in the street they where.... with that many goodies in the soil ohh yeah....:o

GardenGuy
04-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Good trick with roses are if you go fishing or have crap fish you dont wanna eat dig a deap whole around the rose bed put heads.whole fish etc...

My great-grandfather used to do that too. He had a big boat and would sod off for a few days of offshore fishing, with a case of rum and a few mates, according to Gran. Anything that wasn't plate-fish to his taste ended up in the orchard (shark, etc). We're talking 1930-something, around Port Hacking. Despite him being an enviro-vandal (the way we look at things these days), that's the way it was done back then. I hear his citrus was awesome.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
04-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Yep as long as they are in somebody elses garden

Redeye
04-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Good trick with roses are if you go fishing or have crap fish you dont wanna eat dig a deap whole around the rose bed put heads.whole fish etc in hole make sure deap enuff so they dont smell my grandma used to to that back in the day best in the street they where.... with that many goodies in the soil ohh yeah....:o
used to a good trick to plant "mary jane" over previously buried mullet, apparently

Chris B
04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
used to a good trick to plant "mary jane" over previously buried mullet, apparently

havent heard of that variety of rose before :i dunno:

GardenGuy
04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Mary Jane? Isn't that a variety which has really deep purple and highly aromatic buds? :D

Cheers - GardenGuy.

63impala
05-05-2012, 06:46 AM
With that many goodies in tha soil it would be a strain of MILF weed witch will take you back to when mullits ment you where an outlaw and not to be farked with lol....