PDA

View Full Version : Want to pimp my trailer

AdamG
06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
G'day Indys! Love this forum. Now where to start?
I've been in the Hort industry for over 20yrs from pulling weeds to totally automated greenhouses. I have the talent and experience. I am ready to become an Indy. This is my situation: one Suby Forester, one 6x4 trailer, one lawn mower and a heap of hand tools. The challenge is to get started.
I need to pimp my trailer to carry stuff, by putting on longer draw bars and moving the axles forward. Is this possible? If so, would anyone know the equation for the weight capacity on the towbar? I am handy with the stick and spark.
I live in the Adelaide Hills, and want to establish a lawn mowing round. Under no circumstances, am I here to cramp anyone's style or grub them of business. I suppose being honest, reliable and taking pride in what you do is the best formula for competition. For those who are already Indys, if anyone is in need of a sidekick who knows how things go and are done, give me a yell.
CHEERS

Lawn Mowing Professionals
06-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi,

Can't help u with your question regarding trailer, but welcome to the forum!

My advice is just get started... u won't regret it.

Simmo.

AdamG
06-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks Simmo, looking to see you around the traps

HPM
06-05-2012, 09:54 PM
G'day Adam.
I'd be careful about moving the axel forward cause you may get a death wobble in the trailer when towing. One or two inches can make a huge difference.
A longer draw bar makes it easier to reverse and you can add a mower tray to hold your mower on the front.
As long as you keep the weight of the hitch below the rating on your vehicle (tow ball weight) you will be ok. Just buy a solid/strong jockey wheel.
There's some great threads on marketing and I would suggest flyers which you can put in letter boxes and Internet blog or website. These seem to get instant results.
Good luck getting started
Dan.

AdamG
06-05-2012, 11:35 PM
HPM, Big Thanks, That was terrific advice. When I get a chance I'll put a photo up and see what you think. Whether good advice or just have a bit of fun with it.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
06-05-2012, 11:47 PM
You cant have more than 400 kgs downward force on the ball if that helps, alo you want the distance between the front wheel of the car and the back wheel to be the same or slightly shorter than the back wheel of the vehicle to the wheel of the trailer if it is longer it will over turn(turn to quickly causing jack knife) if it is too much longer it will overturn and mean you willl have to have your wheels on full lock to get it to turn at all. this might help as well http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_b.aspx

glassngrass
07-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Suggest you don't do anything at all to your 6x4, and put your cash instead toward a 7x5.
This will give you 40% more floor space, but with a cage, could nearly double your carrying capacity.
Full length (lockable) toolboxes over each wheel arch are great place to store your chainsaw, fuel cans and hand tools.
Tray over the draw bar that can carry two mowers and ramp would be good value.
Check out the "Show off your trailer" thread for more ideas and add to your wish-list.

Leon241
07-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Suggest you don't do anything at all to your 6x4, and put your cash instead toward a 7x5.

x 2. Wish I had bought a 7x5, as I've gotta put everything in/on it. 6 x 4 is quite limiting, I'm trying to go with limited mods, and get a secondhand trailer already set up when I can afford it.

AdamG
07-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Great info,guys! With trying to make a living, working a budget and being part of a forum like this, the day will come when we'll have the perfect round.lol
I'll be back Cheers

St George
07-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I have a 9 by 5 with cage and it's to small!could not imagine a 6 by 4!

glassngrass
07-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Depending on your setup, I think 7x5 with tray on front is plenty sufficient in the 'burbs'.
Certainly bigger would make more sense if you need your ride on.

Bigger is NOT always better - get plenty big, but not too big. Unless your vehicle is a Kenworth, then remember you got to lug this thing around for years - and pay the petrol to do so!

Many tips charge based on :
1. number of axles of trailer
2. whether load is level, heaped or trailer has a cage

To get best value, suggest 7x5 with SINGLE axle - but heavier duty springs and light truck tires.
Altho you are still limited for weight allowed to be carried by the single axle - carrying overweight won't be a concern for the trailer itself (and an overweight trailer won't appear to be overweight - will also handle much better and be safer)

Mechanical brakes would be a worthwhile investment. When in a rush it's just too easy to miscalculate and approach an intersection a bit faster than you should have. Without trailer brakes you could get pushed into traffic (esp. in the wet.) Mechanical brakes work hardest when needed the most.

Worth considering - a tilt trailer. It would be soooo..... cool to back up to transfer station, pull a pin, wind a handle then just drive forward - no more raking it out, or pulling branches, drive forward, pull more branches, repeat...
In and out in a few minutes. Less time at tip = more billable hours in the day.
The hydraulic tippers seem overpriced for the advantages - but the mechanical ones might suit you well.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Tip here chargges by the weight your weighed on the way in and weighed again on the way out. They used to have a 25 minum charge but they increased the price and took away the minium charge and i usally get charged less than 15 now.

simo
08-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Just to add to the confusion i had a 6x4 was $56 to rego per yr ,now iI have an 8x5 which is $165 per yr ...$109 more thats in NSW

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
09-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Just to add to the confusion i had a 6x4 was $56 to rego per yr ,now iI have an 8x5 which is $165 per yr ...$109 more thats in NSW

Is there a difference in the atm as i know in queensland the trailers are in different categories based on there ATM