PDA

View Full Version : Large vehicle fines

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I have just read in my local paper that drivers of heavy duty and over lenght vehicles will face fines of $72 if they park in built up areas for longer than 1 hr.

Any vehicle with a GVM of 4.5 tonnes or is longer than 7.5 metres must not stop on a lenght of road in a built up area for more than an hour.

Residents are being encouraged to ring casey council to report "illegally" parked vehicles.

Does that include cars with trailers attached?

They say its for safety reasons. What a crook. Bloody revenue raising.

Down the end of my street there is cars parked on the nature strip so close to the corner that you cannot see if there is any other traffic coming. This has been going on for years and no one has been fined.

It says quote "Visual obstructions, noise related nuisance and nature strip damage are just some of the concerns associated with heavy or long vehciles parked in a residential area." end quote.

BeetleJuice
14-05-2012, 04:41 PM
We have suburbs where no commercial vehicles are allowed to park in the street or be visible parked in your own driveway.This includes a van which is sign written. E.g. west lakes
This rule is nothing new.

courty
14-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Glenno
GVM is Gross Vehicular Mass so if your loaded rig is over 4.5 tonnes or over the length I'd say it includes you. Not being a heavy vehicle with your Tare & Gross visible I'd say you would be hard pressed to be booked unless they wanted to get the mermaids out and put you over the scales.

seliment
14-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Victoria - the place be fined!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-05-2012, 06:47 PM
We have suburbs where no commercial vehicles are allowed to park in the street or be visible parked in your own driveway.This includes a van which is sign written. E.g. west lakes
This rule is nothing new.

So what do you do if there is no room to park out of site? My set up is over 10 mtrs long and the street is narrow so if I come home and there is a lot of cars in the street I cannot get the trailer in the garage and have to park on the street or up on my front yard which is basically the nature strip.

Then there is customers places, Guess I can always say sorry you will have to find someone else as there is nowhere for me to park.
Good thing is if it went to court, the magistrate should say you can't stop someone from earning a living.
There's many a slip between a cup and a lip. So..........?

PaulG
14-05-2012, 07:38 PM
What a stupid rule designed for nothing more than revenue-raising.

Mrs HMS
14-05-2012, 07:42 PM
What a stupid rule is definately the case. You would think that governments at all levels, federal, state and local would be encouraging small business - it drives the economy after all.

Part of being a business can be vehicle signage and to have a regulation that you can't have a signed vehicle visible on your own property is Big Brother gone mad.

So those council works trucks that park in the street all day while 4 blokes lean on shovels and one guy replaces that section of footpath or kerb and channel can only stay one hour as well? By laws apply to everyone equally don't they?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
14-05-2012, 07:59 PM
I think the rule is refering to trucks not cars and trailers. There was a guy living down the road who had a big truck for glass that he constantly parked in the street nd if you where going one way well someone was coming the other one had to stop as the two cars couldnt go beside it. Any way one night a chick crashed into the back of it smashing her headlight and radiator bending the bonnet etc any way he got a fine from the cops and she tool him to court for the damages to her car not sure of the results of the case but he now has a smaller truck.

Mrs HMS
14-05-2012, 08:03 PM
That's also nuts. If you're stupid enough to collide with a parked vehicle that says more about your lack of driving ability than anything else.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-05-2012, 08:27 PM
This changes the topic sightly but I will give you an idea of how pathetic my local council laws are.

Recently a local council law was changed so that if you have an unregistered car parked in your front yard you would be fined.

Yet there is an old law that is still in effect that says you cannot ride a camel down the street without a permit. :wtf:fact

BeetleJuice
14-05-2012, 11:06 PM
So what do you do if there is no room to park out of site? My set up is over 10 mtrs long and the street is narrow so if I come home and there is a lot of cars in the street I cannot get the trailer in the garage and have to park on the street or up on my front yard which is basically the nature strip.

Then there is customers places, Guess I can always say sorry you will have to find someone else as there is nowhere for me to park.
Good thing is if it went to court, the magistrate should say you can't stop someone from earning a living.
There's many a slip between a cup and a lip. So..........?

The rule that i’m referring to is if you live in the area you are not to park your signed or commercial vehicle in sight of other residents.As for contractors attending service calls for the day,that's ok

GardenGuy
15-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Erosion of civil liberty is part of this nanny-state that so many seem so prepared to accept. It's heading for a gross disaster.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Blaktop
15-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Apparently in QLD you're supposed to have someone walking in front of your car with a red flag......even though it's not common practice they never repealed the law.

Chris B
15-05-2012, 08:18 AM
id say its targeted at bigger trucks so you would be fine. GVM or GVW is just the max carrying weight of loaded vehicle ... GCM is the total weight of truck and trailer loaded

eg. 3000 kg GVM or 3000+3500 towing capacity = 6500 GCM

Sunshinelawns
15-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Any vehicle with a GVM of 4.5 tonnes or is longer than 7.5 metres must not stop on a lenght of road in a built up area for more than an hour.

Does that include cars with trailers attached?

Cranbourne,

$72 isn't too bad. Here in Brisbane the council will fine you $500 for exactly the same thing. So in Victoria you are seven times better off........

Cheers

Sunshine

Bluey
15-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Ok...picture this....your fast asleep at 0350 when BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTT.....the bloke in his semi hits his air start because he is off on his 12 hr run. You pick yourself off the roof. Who ya gonna call. Or maybe this...narrow street...big prime mover..he gets of the road and blocks the foot path...where is the lady in the wheel chair going...on the road to get hit by you coming home from the pub

Get over yerselves. These rules are in place for valid reasons. So people dont stuff it up for anyone else. If your rig is too big to park in your streat or on ya place is that telling you something. Are you annoying your neighbours. Bet you are. Move. Comes a time when busniness should be run from business premises.

ian
15-05-2012, 11:20 PM
What a stupid rule is definately the case. You would think that governments at all levels, federal, state and local would be encouraging small business - it drives the economy after all.

labor governments don't care about small business because large business have a higher percentage of their work force in union membership and the union donations pay for the election expences

liberals don't care about small business because they get most of their money for election expences from these same large business

and neither of them care because large business are also less likely to be operating in the cash economy therfore boosting the government coffers

almost forgot the greens don't care about small business because they believe all businesses large or small are polluting the environment and should be closed :o

courty
15-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Ok...picture this....your fast asleep at 0350 when BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTT.....the bloke in his semi hits his air start because he is off on his 12 hr run. You pick yourself off the roof. Who ya gonna call. Or maybe this...narrow street...big prime mover..he gets of the road and blocks the foot path...where is the lady in the wheel chair going...on the road to get hit by you coming home from the pub

Get over yerselves. These rules are in place for valid reasons. So people dont stuff it up for anyone else. If your rig is too big to park in your streat or on ya place is that telling you something. Are you annoying your neighbours. Bet you are. Move. Comes a time when busniness should be run from business premises.

At least he has the sense to own a Mack:laughing:

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
16-05-2012, 10:59 PM

What the bloody hell are you drinking bluey. It goes a bit further than that . In my estate no one is supposed to have a commercial vehicle in view but the houses ,garages and land sizes are so small that most people cant fit 2 cars in their double garage. Yet every second residence is owned by a tradie.

geoff1969
16-05-2012, 11:29 PM
but the houses ,garages and land sizes are so small that most people cant fit 2 cars in their double garage
spot on cranbourne , i dont understand why the local goverment or council / planing bloke allows a 4 / 5 bedroom home to be built on a block so small there aint even enough room to park 2 cars on the property due to the land size being so small = the owners are going to park on the street , but it can be dangerous as i still drive heavy vehicals on week ends and the boss has permits for us to be able to operate the vehicals in the small back streets etc due to the nature of the work , but there are times where there are so many cars parked on the streets and due to the streets being so narrow there is no way you can get a truck down them , this can lead to the dangers of emergency vehicals not being able to get through either = fire trucks etc ,

Bluey
17-05-2012, 07:38 AM
but the houses ,garages and land sizes are so small that most people cant fit 2 cars in their double garage
spot on cranbourne , i dont understand why the local goverment or council / planing bloke allows a 4 / 5 bedroom home to be built on a block so small there aint even enough room to park 2 cars on the property due to the land size being so small = the owners are going to park on the street , but it can be dangerous as i still drive heavy vehicals on week ends and the boss has permits for us to be able to operate the vehicals in the small back streets etc due to the nature of the work , but there are times where there are so many cars parked on the streets and due to the streets being so narrow there is no way you can get a truck down them , this can lead to the dangers of emergency vehicals not being able to get through either = fire trucks etc ,

I will tell you why Geoff. More money from rates. I guess it boils down to living in an area that suits your needs. If you operate from home and need space your really need to find an area that is suitable. I could not stand living in those small pokey estates.

SunM
17-05-2012, 10:51 PM
The only way you're going to get fined is if you are in a fancy suburb where council patrols regularly or your neighbours hate you. My old boss had a small war going on with his neighbour, so when he parked his trucks in the street overnight the neighbour would call council and they'd send someone out and put a fine on the truck.

TomS
17-05-2012, 11:37 PM
In Brisbane publicans are still required to provide water and a biscuit of hay for your horse. A mate used to ride up on pub verandas waving the by-laws. he got a few free beers out of it, when they didn't call the cops.

I spose an important principal to hang on to is the concept of the home-based business. For startup busineses leasing a shed to put your mower in is a complete waste. Working from home means have can have lunch ( or whatever) with your wife if your'e working on maintainance or look after your kids .. its a good way to be and makes up a bit for the low returns in microbusiness.

Tom

Tom

PaulG
18-05-2012, 01:24 AM
labor governments don't care about small business because large business have a higher percentage of their work force in union membership and the union donations pay for the election expences

liberals don't care about small business because they get most of their money for election expences from these same large business

and neither of them care because large business are also less likely to be operating in the cash economy therfore boosting the government coffers

almost forgot the greens don't care about small business because they believe all businesses large or small are polluting the environment and should be closed :o

So basically we're stuffed!:laughing:

Bluey
18-05-2012, 07:58 AM
The only way you're going to get fined is if you are in a fancy suburb where council patrols regularly or your neighbours hate you. My old boss had a small war going on with his neighbour, so when he parked his trucks in the street overnight the neighbour would call council and they'd send someone out and put a fine on the truck.

Think again. Many Councils will patrol for this type of stuff. Parking of large vehicles in small streets generates a huge volume of calls from irate residents. It causes a whole lot of problems for the Council and the residents. Oversize vehicles dont mix with small streets.

GQdude
07-02-2013, 07:36 AM
We have the same rule on the Gold Coast. Legally you can't park on the road for more than 1 hour if your 'rig' is more than 7.5 meters or if your GVM is 4.5t or over.

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/thegoldcoast/safe-legal-parking-tips-3052.html