PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Sydney

Paul1
18-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,
Hoping to start in Sydney's northern suburbs, I used to help my Dad with a run 30 years ago.
Since looking into this I can't help but notice how many people are involved in lawn care just in my local area.
It worries me that there may not be enough work out there.
Has anyone used a Honda HHB25 blower, I'm wanting to keep as much as possibe to 4 stroke.
Great forum
Paul

Kathryn
18-05-2012, 01:41 PM
hi paul. good luck with your business. i'm not a fan of hondas blowers but there are others here who are. having two fuels really isnt that much of a hassle

St George
18-05-2012, 04:47 PM
yeah i thought of just sticking to 4 stroke when i started out but now i have both and really like the grunt of the 2stroke but they do suck the juice.good luck mate.

Mower Mat
18-05-2012, 08:03 PM
All the very best from another newbie. There are great opportunities out there for each and everyone of us to grasp.
Go for it

AJD Mowing
18-05-2012, 08:32 PM
All the best Paul I have a honda 4stroke blower no probs its a good blower..

m287j
18-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard. Northern suburbs or beaches are you planning on working ?
There is plenty of work in those areas but yes, plenty of other operators.

Paul1
19-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for your replies and encouragement.
I'm hoping for some work on the Northern Beaches, but so far finding it hard to get my foot in the door.

Paul

GardenGuy
19-05-2012, 06:37 PM
G'day Paul!

I grew up and went to school a bit down the peninsula from you. OK - right off the peninsula, down Manly way. :D

Seeing you're a new member, take the time to read the book that Dean has sent when you paid. It's refreshingly truthful. Follow what he says as much as you can, adjusted for the local conditions. Also bear in mind, that this is the worst time of year to start as the market is slowing naturally, let alone the economic conditions. Get your marketing ducks in a row and you're off and walking. Gotta start somewhere.

Figure out your service area and market to it. From Avalon, you're probably looking to go from Palmie down to Fairlight, out to Frenchs Forest and Terrey Hills. Yes? Don't extend your range too far as the costs of running around will soon eat your margin, and with the state of the roads and traffic around the Northern Beaches, it will eat your time. There are some awesome properties around there and some really awful ones that need oh-so-much work. It's a nice mix. Try to compact the run because some areas are a PITA to get to and a lot of places have some really interesting terrain. You could get lucky and get some semi-rural around Ingleside and Elanora.

Get your ad on in the Manly Daily. Consistent ads that appeal to the unusual market that is the Northern Beaches are a big key to success. I remember how different guys came and went from the ads, and came and went from the biz over the years.

Best wishes for every happy success!

Best Regards - GardenGuy.

Woodchip
20-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Gday Paul1,
I also started my lawn run on the Northern Beaches based from Elanora, (now im Mid Nth Coast NSW), there are are lot of people mowing lawns there but even more work available, you will definitely need a smallish(lighter) mower for the terrain Newport - Palmie & for some other jobs in other areas.
Now I think of it I didnt have many jobs Nth of Newport.
Yep Manly Daily, neat appearance, professional attitude, well written & nice looking quotes & all good.

cheers

Dan w
20-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Where abouts are you woodchip?
All the best with the start up Paul!! It's a bit of a slog but once you get the first 5 or 10 it seems to flow a little bit. Good luck!!

Wyadra
24-05-2012, 07:41 AM
You're wasting your time starting off at this time of year if you are going to start from scratch. If you check the manly daily you will see no one is advertising, there's a reason for that.

Blaktop
24-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Hey Dan, I do a couple of days a week out in the Forster area. Pull up and say gidday if you see me around. White Rodeo ute with signwriting. Be nice to meet another forum dweller.

m287j
24-05-2012, 09:57 PM
You're wasting your time starting off at this time of year if you are going to start from scratch. If you check the manly daily you will see no one is advertising, there's a reason for that.

Great encouragement there Wyadra.

Any time is a good time to set up a business from scratch, at least by starting in winter it gives the new business operator a chance to learn the art of edging, mowing properly etc plus get the hang of their equipment. By Spring they will be more confident, have got quicker and are better at quoting.

Woodchip
02-06-2012, 07:39 PM
m287j I agree mate, plus you can really focus on customer service in the quieter times.

(Dan w, im a little bit Nth of you around Laurieton)

cheers

happymowin
02-06-2012, 08:14 PM
its like fruit trees, the best time to plant them is 5 years ago, the 2nd best time is right now.

start up but dont quit your day job yet.

good on ya and welcome along