PDA

View Full Version : lawn weed.

Leon241
22-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Ok I don't have a picture yet, but someone might know from the description.

I've mowed some lawns lately with a very fine, round green thin upright weed in them. They seem impervious to the mower blades. They just bend over then spring up again. Not hugely obvious or anything, I just find they make the job a little messy.

I'm looking out for them again, so I can take a picture. They're not a rosette or broadleaf, I have yet to pull one out and look at its features.

GrowCutMow
22-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Sounds like it could be onion weed. If you pull the weed and remove the whole lot there should be a small bulb at the base of the plant. It's pretty painful to remove as you need to get the bulb out, if you don't it will just re-shoot.

Leon241
22-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Does look a bit like onion weed, although it doesn't seem to clump.

Scooby Steve
22-05-2012, 05:21 PM
x2 on the onion weed suggestion

Leon241
22-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Do you guys do anything about it? Figure in a healthy lawn it could
possibly be crowded out?

DavidS
22-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Leon,

It's more likely Onion grass which is very fine green strap like grass that does not clump, it's basically a bugger to mow, need really sharp blades and even then it won't always be cut. Regular mowing will make them weak as they can't flower so they won't reproduce, eventually you will get rid of it. Cultivating the lawn so it is healthy and a good coverage will also help.

ian
22-05-2012, 08:02 PM
as David said and i believe the others probably meant Onion grass if you have a lot in a lawn try to mow after you have sharpened the mower blades and hope this will weaken the plant allowing the grass to crowd it out
Onion weed http://www.yates.com.au/problem-solver/problems/onion-weed/
Onion grass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romulea_rosea
also http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/agriculture/dairy/pastures-management/ag1389-onion-grass-romulea-rosea

imoww
01-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Any ideas on how to get rid of these weeds in this type of grass?

Neil&family
01-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Chemspray multiweed or even Bind-die should do it. Pretty easy stuff to kill.

imoww
01-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks Neil. What type of grass is it? Couch??? The client wants it cut very short every time. The area is like a golf green.

imoww
01-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Ive got Bind-die. Ive used it for removing bindies on a buffalo lawn.
Bind-die wont kill this couch will it?

Chemspray multiweed or even Bind-die should do it. Pretty easy stuff to kill.

Andy B
01-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Yeah Immow looks like couch, and yes bindii (the green bottle) should take care of it. ;)

PaulG
01-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Yes that's couch/cooch. Almost looks to be Qld Blue couch or Wintergreen but looks dry and thatchy. Couch is best cut short as it's such a fine leaf grass it doesn't do well if left grow long as too much thatch and stalk builds up underneath. Weeds are dandelions and clover. Any of the broadleaf-type weedsprays will do the job; Clean-lawn, Kamba etc, anything with MCPA or Dicamba in it.

Fred's mowing
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Yes that's couch/cooch. Almost looks to be Qld Blue couch or Wintergreen but looks dry and thatchy. Couch is best cut short as it's such a fine leaf grass it doesn't do well if left grow long as too much thatch and stalk builds up underneath. Weeds are dandelions and clover. Any of the broadleaf-type weedsprays will do the job; Clean-lawn, Kamba etc, anything with MCPA or Dicamba in it.

x2
Cheers Fred.

DavidS
01-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Get a Reel mower and it will look smick.

fairdinkum
02-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Even the weed n feed products do a good job on those weeds I've found

imoww
02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Ill give it a hit with the Bin-die. In 2 weeks time, ill Fertiise with scotts lawn builder and leave it for 2 weeks.