PDA

View Full Version : cocus palms

Easycareacres
31-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Had a real fun day this arvo, chainsaw 3 tall palms down. Does anyone know off the best tree-kill {spray-concentrate} to put in the stumps left behind ? Was thinking of round-up or kamba ?

Stuie
01-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Hey
The Cocos palms wont grow back even if the stump is left because they are a monopodial plant meaning in a broad generalization :D that they only have one central growing point once you have cut it out it will not reshoot.
The trunks can be left to rot down if thats acceptable and a handful of lime can help them decay a little faster.
I use to poison a trunk either straight roundup or Tree blackberry and woody weed killer.Make the cut and paint it on straight away as you have around eight seconds before the wound starts to seal up.
A dead cocos palm is a good cocos palm! :p
Stuart
Sydney :aus-flag:

mick
01-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey
A dead cocos palm is a good cocos palm! :p
Stuart
Sydney :aus-flag:

I'm with ya there mate! I hate the bloody things, unfortunately back in the early '90's I was a landscaper and planted 100's of the things! I think there even "declared" now.

When I first started mowing I used to clean them. Had an old couple customers who asked me if there was any way of slowing the growth of the seeds etc. I said, "Well you get a chainsaw and cut right through here (pointing to the base) till you get to the other side, that will slow it down!" They looked at me trying to figure out what I'd said. Then they got it. "Cut the thing down!" they laughed so hard I thought they would have a stroke.

Silly story, I know. Had to be there! :o

Easycareacres
02-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Had to laugh there, yes they are a dam messy eyesore palm.
Was thinking of drilling holes and kamba but if lime works also might buy a bag and try. Had enough of berry dropping etc.
Ilove all my other palms all diff and makes a tropical look. Just one cant climb that high for telephone pole palms, and if I did would need fireman to get me down lol.