PDA

View Full Version : today i made $855 an hour

happymowin
08-06-2012, 07:17 PM
best job ive ever had i'd reckon

quoted a gutter cleaning job for $285

took me 20 minutes

thats $855 an hour, or $71 for 5 minutes.

would have been finished in 15 mins but there was a blocked downpipe i fixed up (which would have been $1140 an hour)

wish i had one of these per day

it also illustrates why i NEVER quote hourly figures to anyone for anything

fixed price for a fixed job.

cheers

imoww
08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Too much Happy in ya mowing......

ian
08-06-2012, 07:49 PM
still not enough money to get me doing gutters again :o

happymowin
08-06-2012, 08:34 PM
yeah, ive prolly only got another 8 to 10 yrs left in me for roofs, (im 44 this yr)

the say when men get to about 52, they have a change in the middle ear which effects fine balance,

it makes previously rough tough roofers into pussy cats

older folks never want to get on the roof, or hardly even up a ladder, whether its this fact or just wise self preservation, who knows, but more work for me i reckon, lol

cheers

Dazz1
09-06-2012, 08:55 AM
best job ive ever had i'd reckon

quoted a gutter cleaning job for $285

took me 20 minutes

thats $855 an hour, or $71 for 5 minutes.

would have been finished in 15 mins but there was a blocked downpipe i fixed up (which would have been $1140 an hour)

wish i had one of these per day

it also illustrates why i NEVER quote hourly figures to anyone for anything

fixed price for a fixed job.

cheers
Love it!!! makes you feel kind of good inside when you look at it like that.

Lawn Mowing Professionals
09-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Sure beats the $1 per minute that everyone aims for in mowing. You got over $14 a minute!

So happy, what your saying is target the elderly to do gutter cleaning.

Just be careful that ACA or today tonight doesn't grab this one...

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::?:laughin g::laughing::?:?

Simmo.

geoff
09-06-2012, 01:32 PM
or maybe the GST will grab him:p

Chris B
09-06-2012, 01:40 PM
yeh just under 88 hours of that a year and you will have to register for GST :laughing:

AJD Mowing
09-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Doesnt top mine..
The one thousand dollar prize Dean did over Xmas took me about 30 minutes as I already had the videos..
$2,000.00 per hour :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

burkys
09-06-2012, 02:35 PM
looks like someone got ripped off. hope it wasnt a little old lady. totally unethical!

AJD Mowing
09-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Deans not a little old lady :thinking.......Ahhhh your talking about the gutter cleaning :laughing::laughing:

ian
09-06-2012, 03:01 PM
looks like someone got ripped off. hope it wasnt a little old lady. totally unethical!
how is it unethical you quote someone a price to climb up a ladder or onto their roof risking your health if not your life to do a job they don't have to accept that price and they may have even had more expensive quotes as i said earlier $285 would not get me climbing on a roof to do gutters . i fell off a roof a couple of years ago and luckily we were in a drought so i could postpone work but it still cost me a few of grand in lost earnings

administrator
09-06-2012, 03:14 PM
That day i remember it well lost a thousand bucks at the click of a mouse lol

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?9983-One-thousand-dollar-prize

ian
09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
at 1/10 of a second for a click that means you spent $36 million p/hour :)

09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
at 1/10 of a second for a click that means you spent $36 million p/hour :)

:laughing: :laughing:

Simmo.

AJD Mowing
09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
That day i remember it well lost a thousand bucks at the click of a mouse lol

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?9983-One-thousand-dollar-prize

Hey admin whens the next one? That $1000 is gone now come on I got a family to feed :i dunno:

09-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey admin whens the next one? That $1000 is gone now come on I got a family to feed :i dunno:

and a new website to pay for... :wave-hi:

Simmo.

ian
09-06-2012, 04:08 PM
and a new website to pay for... :wave-hi:

Simmo.

i thought he'd found some sucker to build that for $50 :)

happymowin
09-06-2012, 04:39 PM

yep ians right, i gave a fixed price quote for a dangerous job the person wasnt able to do themself, or chose not to, i relieved "their pain" as simmo says

and because of my experience and skill i finished it rather quickly, but still did a good job.

i know of a gutter vac guy charging triple that (at least) for doing average houses, is he unethical too?

burky, if YOU gave a quote and finished in under the amount of time you thought it would take do YOU give a refund?

im sure fred refunds all money on hedges that dont take him as long as he quoted for, dont you fred?

so wheres the unethical bit?

and wheres the rip off?

"please explain"

Stripes
09-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Nothing unethical about giving a quote which is accepted and the work is done faster than what the tradie thought. Flip it around. When you underestimate the time taken to do a job, do you hit them up for more money because it took longer/was easier than you thought? You win some, you lose some. If you go around doing stuff without quoting and charge huge money for when you're dealing with the elderly, then there might be an issue, but a few hundred bucks to clear some gutters that took 20 minutes doesn't call for Ray Hadley to step in and tear you a new one.

AJD Mowing
09-06-2012, 05:12 PM
No No Nooooooooooo not another argument ;dealers;

Fred's mowing
10-06-2012, 08:47 PM
yep ians right, i gave a fixed price quote for a dangerous job the person wasnt able to do themself, or chose not to, i relieved "their pain" as simmo says

and because of my experience and skill i finished it rather quickly, but still did a good job.

i know of a gutter vac guy charging triple that (at least) for doing average houses, is he unethical too?

burky, if YOU gave a quote and finished in under the amount of time you thought it would take do YOU give a refund?

im sure fred refunds all money on hedges that dont take him as long as he quoted for, dont you fred?

so wheres the unethical bit?

and wheres the rip off?

"please explain"

No happy I dont, & on the other foot I dont ask to re-assess the quote if I realise things are'nt going too well 4 me.
A quote is a quote!
Its only unethical if you're taking advantage of some mentally incapable person.
Stripes summed it up perfectly.
Why was this question directed at me?
Cheers Fred.

geoff
10-06-2012, 09:00 PM
personally nothing to upset you happy but why would you say 855 per hour that you earnt..you didnt ...you made good money in short time like many others on this forum ..we all do this from time to time so i dont get your post to be honest

ian
10-06-2012, 09:08 PM
personally nothing to upset you happy but why would you say 855 per hour that you earnt..you didnt ...you made good money in short time like many others on this forum ..we all do this from time to time so i dont get your post to be honest
from memory someone else (and not happy) also used this analogy a while ago claiming to have made i think over $1000 an hour

geoff
10-06-2012, 09:10 PM
well there you go Ian enough said

administrator
10-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Ok i will shoot with this one .
I needed some electical work done around the home security lights, downlights and some in roof work as the resident possom or rats had chewed some wires. As you do you call some one and get a quote .

Explained exactly what i wanted the electrician said he would work it out and get back to me .

The electrician was a local Business allways support locals .

He gave me the quote 1450 bucks so i said yes that will be fine .

He was here three days made him coffees donuts even helped him as he said his apprentice was away .

He hadnt enough security spot lights so i said no probs ill duck down to Neerim Sth hardware and get 3 more from Derry

Third day around 4 all done

I said ill write you a cheque ,then it comes he said look im gunna have to charge you more i said why is that he says its taken me longer than i thought (Far out ) SO I WAS THINKING OK A COUPLE HUNDRED MAYBE HAHA THE PRICE HE SAID WAS 2200 THATS NOT INCLUDING THE THREE I BOUGHT AT THE HARDWARE LOL

so i wrote the cheque and handed it to him of course i wasnt happy i wasnt angry you know why because this is the way people work today .

But i knew this day would come when i could write about it fairly

Chillen air
Chillen Air - Air Conditioning-Home - Warragul, VIC - Air Conditioning-Home in Warragul, Victoria, 3820 - Chillen Air - Yellow PagesŪ directory.

Would i ever use this company again would i ever tell people about this company again not likely .Would i post it on a forum more than likely lol

Was he unethical was he hopeless at quoting was he immoral well at the end of the day well thats for you to work out but for me anybody asked me about an electrician ill tell you who not to call

I did an exercise in my home town with the people i know i mentioned Chillen air maybe i should of done b4 i got the quote lolololol

administrator
10-06-2012, 09:53 PM
I will give you a tip its not how much money you make in business its how you go about the business that makes you money

administrator
10-06-2012, 09:55 PM

Become an electrician lolololol

10-06-2012, 10:00 PM
I will give you a tip its not how much money you make in business its how you go about the business that makes you money

your a wise Administrator.

I would change one thing though... its not how much money you make in business its how you go about the business that makes you WEALTHY.

Simmo.

South East Mowing
10-06-2012, 10:11 PM

Yep wise man Admin:)

I find that if you quote reasonably competitive and communicate everything you can often make adjustments if you get in early enough and talk it through. People know when you are doing the right thing and or if youn are trying to rip them off.

It recently happened to me (underquoted something I don't usually do) so spoke to the lady and she understood. She was so impressed with the finished job I got approximately a $10000 yearly contract withy that company. I would have worn it if she said no, but being fair is what it is about, some you win some you lose others work out ok.

administrator
10-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Thats a far better word Wealthy thanks, much better than money .
Knew i shouldnt of left school at 15

Boy i hated school i allways remember Mrs Leet the headmistress of Mt Helena High School saying id amount to nothing .And shes the one that gave me 10/10 for a story i wrote in english i took the sub headings of a commando comic changed a few words around and she gives me top marks lololol

Redeye
10-06-2012, 11:16 PM
one of the reasons I've had the same clients for 20+ years is through being ethical, moral and realistic in my business with them and myself; not feeling a need to brag about how much I made or expect to make, and the knowledge that this is a lifestyle choice as much as a way to earn a decent living, doing what I enjoy

2c

ian
10-06-2012, 11:24 PM
one of the reasons I've had the same clients for 20+ years is through being ethical, moral and realistic in my business with them and myself; not feeling a need to brag about how much I made or expect to make, and the knowledge that this is a lifestyle choice as much as a way to earn a decent living, doing what I enjoy

2c
don't think i'd be braging about 2c either :laughing:

10-06-2012, 11:54 PM

No problem. In the past few weeks I have been researching definitions of words to find the real meanings and not a typical dictonary/school/basic society explaination that doesn't explain anything about business.

These are the words... Money, currency and wealth.

Does anyone know the definitions that they can share?

Simmo.

AJD Mowing
11-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Knew i shouldnt of left school at 15

Boy i hated school i allways remember Mrs Leet the headmistress of Mt Helena High School saying id amount to nothing .And shes the one that gave me 10/10 for a story i wrote in english i took the sub headings of a commando comic changed a few words around and she gives me top marks lololol

Baaaaahaaa You out smarted her so you deserve 10/10
Hey to your previous post there is one thing I wouldnt have done and that is give him the $2000 he should have told you before he did the extra work, thats just wrong. I agree with you with everything else and I call that natural karma things you put out comes back at you. That Electrition will learn by doing business that way and eventualy will miss out on work, he will have lots of arguments and he will wonder why people dont like him..

For the musicly minded listen to the album Animals by Pink Floyd. songs (pigs) about people with ultimate power and multinational companies. (Dogs) The people that are trained by the pigs to run the show (Sheep) normal workers on wages..
There is a bricky guy I know that was doing everything on the dark side even dealing with bikies for loans to run his business, everywhere he went he burnt people and for a while he was flying high until it (the stone) all caught up with him. now he is bankrupt and on medication for depression, when you see him around now he will never look you in the eye he is a lost sole.

The Stone is the bad blood that has been created. have a read it was writen in the 70s but is still very relivent.
http://www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com/html/dogs-animals-lyrics.html

Stripes
11-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Years ago at TAFE the teacher said to us "Do a good job and the client may tell some of their friends and family how good you were. Do a bad job and they will tell everyone they know how bad you are". Same goes with the amount you charge. If you bend them over, it will end up costing you in the end because eventually word will get around that you rip everyone off and the phone will stop ringing. Even more so now with the internet as it's not just their friends who see a review of that business.

AJD Mowing
11-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Hey redeye I loved you 2c worth.. If you talk to Neil Nicey he will know the bricky I am talking about I believe he is still owed money from him from 3 years ago..

administrator
24-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Doing what you do should never be about money that comes to you when you do what you do .

cadase
25-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Doing what you do should never be about money that comes to you when you do what you do .
Also
Do what you do do well boy