PDA

View Full Version : trailer manufacture sydney

paul123
14-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Hi,
Anyone know of a good custom trailer builder in Sydney?
Thanks.

St George
14-07-2012, 02:19 PM
What do you mean as good! Cheap ,quality ,reliability,top bloke,fast slow? If you want a great trailer you better have a good cheque book,if you want cheap and nasty go for the ashtray coins.all comes down to your budget .

South East Mowing
14-07-2012, 02:41 PM
What do you mean as good! Cheap ,quality ,reliability,top bloke,fast slow? If you want a great trailer you better have a good cheque book,if you want cheap and nasty go for the ashtray coins.all comes down to your budget .

Fair question I thought! He asked for good custom trailer builder in Sydney!

No I don't know one, but if you need to shop around you probably already know to check the "specs" of each quote. More specifically if you ask for a particular trailer ask for all specs of materials and make sure the welders are qualified.

I had one done many years ago and the business owner was a good welder but put the new guy onto my trailer. Cuts and welds were well below what his trailer builds on show were like.

Yes a good trailer will cost top dollar so get all the specs.

NLALM
14-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I had one built by custom quality trailers in minto. Good things they built exactly what I wanted and when I picked it up one thing wasn't right so they made me wait while they fixed it, good welding they make heaps of mowing trailers
Bad things is the finish they just gave the bare steel two coats of paint no primer or prep so it is starting to rust a bit, I would like to have it sandblasted and painted properly.They advertise on the trading post where you can check out some pics. Also if you get one go for new rims and tyres and led lights.

I have also had one made by Mario trailers that was a few years ago they didn't make it as I specified and wouldn't do anything about it, the welding was not real good and the finish as in paint was like my other one, A story about this trailer, because it wasn't what I wanted I sold it on ebay, anyway a week after the young guy picked it up I got a call from his wife wanting all the details of the trailer, What had happened I asked, she went on to tell me how that morning while taking their baby girl to his mums for babysitting while he and she were at work, the hitch on the trailer snapped causing the trailer and car to roll, lucky no one was hurt. Needless to say I felt like crap but also lucky that it didn't happen to me. Another reason not to get one off them.
You may ask why I went to sydney well the only good builder in Newcastle was to expensive but I now realise it would have been better to pay more and get a better quality trailer. I am thinking of taking my trailer to them to see if they will paint it and there are a few things I would like added. Just remember you get what you pay for

St George
14-07-2012, 05:54 PM
All depends on the $$$$ you want to spend.every trailer builder now days buys recycled steel from china.its cheap and it's nasty.they break down the old ships of the sea melt it down and then you have good cheap worthless steel.rusts very quickly.before you buy a trailer check what thickness the tube of steel is and proof where they purchased it.

HPM
14-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Pretty hard to find anything that's not from china these days.....

paul123
14-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Am after quality, have one quote for $9000 and seem like a good business but feel I need two quotes when spending that kind of coin.

St George
15-07-2012, 07:25 AM
That's big money.mine was $2400.its a 10 by 5 with cage and mower box that holds everything.

NLALM
15-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Paul for nine grand it must be a good trailer can you tell us the details

imoww
15-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Why not just buy an Ex Jim's mowing trailer ??? Or find out if you can buy one off them new?

m287j
15-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Austrailers are good - i got a custom made trailer through them, took less than 2 weeks to get delivery. Seemed good value too, i shopped around and they where $2,000 cheaper than some others (trailer cost me about $4,500).
I've had the trailer 3 years now and no problems whatsoever.

paul123
15-07-2012, 09:21 PM
It's 8 x 4 with alloy toolboxes with swingup doors on sides each side tipper with double deck mower ramp on draw bar galvanised mechanical brakes.

paul123
15-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Just sent quote request to austrailer be interesting to compare.

carb
17-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Sounthern cross trailers in Penrith 47 292 838. They have a pic of my tilt mowing trailer on there wedsite very happy with there service and work.

paul123
17-07-2012, 11:15 PM
So no reply from austrailers and their phone rings out, sent quote request to southern cross about a week ago and called but no quote sent back. I since got second quote from tracer in narrabeen but went with origional quote from silverwood trailers also in narrabeen although decided no tipping option, price now $5500 will post pics when i get they reckon 8 weeks.

Greenie
18-07-2012, 06:17 PM
All depends on the $$$$ you want to spend.every trailer builder now days buys recycled steel from china.its cheap and it's nasty.they break down the old ships of the sea melt it down and then you have good cheap worthless steel.rusts very quickly.before you buy a trailer check what thickness the tube of steel is and proof where they purchased it.

Rust very quickly? It isn't because of the metal, it's because it hasn't been prepped properly before paint, and the metal they use on the china ships is better than the metal we get here it ain't cheap garbage, for a ship to have this metal and to withstand 25+ years out at sea with all the salt is a bloody good feat, get some metal leave it in salt water for a week and tell me what u see??
I have been working with metal for over 10 years, and when they melt it down, it goes back to its original state, they call it annealing,
I could talk about this for ages,

Neil&family
18-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Looking at the welds will give you a fair idea as to the grade of metal.**** steel will give you **** welds and will blow alot.

Greenie
18-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Looking at the welds will give you a fair idea as to the grade of metal.**** steel will give you **** welds and will blow alot.

Lol who told u that??? It will give you more of an idea how good the bloke is who is welding....
The reason why it blowes is because the metal is too thin or the welder is not feeding enough wire out!!!,
Or are ou saying blow alot as in what we call bird ****?? Which is little bit of weld that's looks like bird **** everywhere?? Well that is because the welder isn't set right and is producing TOO much wire...
but a good operator will adjust his welder to suit all types of metal...there is no reason to have poor welds that's just inexperience by the operator...
When I was tought to weld there was NO mig welder everything had to be done with the oxy and that was an art:):)

Neil&family
18-07-2012, 08:27 PM
No one told me greenie. Comes from experience. And by blow I am talking about impurities in the steel which repel the filler or welding rod.

St George
24-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Once you recycle metal over and over it looses its properties.here in Australia they recycle and add additives to preserve the metal but in china they do not add properties to give you a 100% grade steel.thats the difference.oh that's coming from me who had 15 years in steel smelters and 20 years boiler making.do your research and good luck trailer hunting.

paul123
15-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Picked up new trailer this week, ended up going for tipping option.

NLALM
16-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Nice trailer mate all gal that should last for ever. Where did you get it from and what sort of dollars are we talking. I would like to something like that made, love the side boxes

4 Gardens
16-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Looks fantastic, love the gal

paul123
16-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Silverwood trailers in narrabeen, was about $9000 the service and quality was very high so I would reccomend them. Cost was up a bit as I wanted the tipper seperate from toolboxes also note that their rippers don't have the high post above top of trailer ill take a pic of it fully tipped

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Nice trailer paul but where are you going to put a rideon. You will be like me upgrade to ride on and have to upgrade the trailer/vehicle.

paul123
16-09-2012, 08:13 PM
The tip compartment is 1200mm wide I measured up a walker that fits and its 2.4m long