PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Ocean Grove.

ma1green
21-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi, i'm just starting out in the next week or so ( a little bit scared lol ). Iv'e been thinking of doing a flyer drop with magnetic business cards but a little unsure what to put on the leaflets.

This website is great by the way, I appreciate any tips or ideas.

Martin

lemonhead
21-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Hey martin,im in same boat..but will be starting in around 2 months..Ive just kept my flyers simple,business name,email,phone nos,services available,did it on excel.Im thinking advertising in local paper will gain bigger pull.hey just out of interest,what type of trailer did you go for.Im debating 7 by 4 caged with chance to add to(brand new)..at around 2200...or to go for a cheap 6 by 4.....mmmm...hey good luck,maybe we can boun ce some ideas of each other...daz...

geoff1969
21-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Hey martin,im in same boat..but will be starting in around 2 months..Ive just kept my flyers simple,business name,email,phone nos,services available,did it on excel.Im thinking advertising in local paper will gain bigger pull.hey just out of interest,what type of trailer did you go for.Im debating 7 by 4 caged with chance to add to(brand new)..at around 2200...or to go for a cheap 6 by 4.....mmmm...hey good luck,maybe we can boun ce some ideas of each other...daz...

is that $2200 for just a 7x with cage ??? if so try better built trailers thay where in ringwood , thats where i got mine and a mate aprox 6 month ago brought a 7x4 with 3 foot high cage and extended braw bar for $1800 , just googled there $1490 with 3 foot heavy duty cage but thats standard lengh draw bar pluss rego

lemonhead
21-07-2012, 05:26 PM
hey,thanks geoff...i will definetley check them out,i was made redundant from retravision,3 weeks ago,so thought i would give this game a crack..give it 2 years and if doesnt work then go back to retail..im 46,so no spring chicken...but fancy working under the sun..waiting for my tax return so i can get the gear....this site is brilliant.....daz

geoff1969
21-07-2012, 05:35 PM
hey,thanks geoff...i will definetley check them out,i was made redundant from retravision,3 weeks ago,so thought i would give this game a crack..give it 2 years and if doesnt work then go back to retail..im 46,so no spring chicken...but fancy working under the sun..waiting for my tax return so i can get the gear....this site is brilliant.....daz

yeh just check there web site out . age dont matter im in my 40s and many other on the forum are older than us :laughing: the old farts :laughing: ,just be positive with an i can do attitude and youll be right .

lemonhead
21-07-2012, 06:37 PM
To be more specific...7 x 4 trailer..with long bow(think thats right word)..called an allrounder,stronger than a domestic trailer,can take rocks etc..jockey wheel,fully regd,spare tyre..for $1479...mower tray for an additional $250/cage 2 ft $665,2 flat panels on side instead of cage for an additional $200 which i thought fairly reasonable.Place was trik trailers in bayswater vic....does this sound a good deal?..I know geoff reckons ringwood place could be better...will check them out..daz

Stump
22-07-2012, 12:29 AM
To be more specific...7 x 4 trailer..with long bow(think thats right word)..called an allrounder,stronger than a domestic trailer,can take rocks etc..jockey wheel,fully regd,spare tyre..for $1479...mower tray for an additional $250/cage 2 ft $665,2 flat panels on side instead of cage for an additional $200 which i thought fairly reasonable.Place was trik trailers in bayswater vic....does this sound a good deal?..I know geoff reckons ringwood place could be better...will check them out..daz
Think about getting the largest caged trailer in your budget. I could not operate with anything smaller than my 8x5. I find it is often too small for some jobs, and I dont carry my tools in it.

seliment
22-07-2012, 11:43 AM
If you have the option, choose a 'reverse checkerplate' floor (ie smooth side up) rather than checkerplate with the rough side up. It is so much easier to unload a trailer with a smooth floor.

Joe.

ma1green
22-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi DARRENHALLMARK BUDGETGARDENING, i went for a 8x5 tandem with solid walls and shelves on the side with a lift out door for all the tools. Thanks for the info re the flyers i'll get some printed and walk round with them this afternoon ( if the weather holds up theres a dirty black cloud hovering nearby lol ).

"If you have the option, choose a 'reverse checkerplate' floor (ie smooth side up) rather than checkerplate with the rough side up. It is so much easier to unload a trailer with a smooth floor."

Bugger, I wish i'd known this before I bought it lol.

4 Gardens
22-07-2012, 01:27 PM
hi guys, age is no barrier, I started out 5 years ago at 40.

First trailer I had was 7*4 with a cage and toolbox on drawer bar. Made up some racks for the sides out of 25mm PVC.
It looked after me pretty well until I upgraded last year to 10*5 with mower boxes etc.

Dont skimp on your machinery - I started with Husky and it is all still going strong - no matter what you buy look after it

lemonhead
22-07-2012, 03:16 PM
thanks for the reply ma1green and 4 gardens...like the reverse checkerplate idea..Hey just out of interest,did you guys retain a part time job when plunging into the gardening game.I am trying to secure a 2 or 3 day job in whatever ,and the other 2 or 3 days get the gardening thing happening.When i was in retail i earned 600 to 650 a week roughly,so all i want to do is sustain this sort of income from the gardening business obviously after expenses.think id be happy with that,if it generates more then bonus.im looking at the honda 196 mower,the kaaz brushcutter,and perhaps an edger if the budget stretches..Spose at the end of the day,i just want to be my own boss,make my own hours and set my own destiny....dreams never end.....daz

4 Gardens
22-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Hi Darren,
I did maintain a part time job when starting out. It did make it financially easier todo so. My boss at the time was prettty understanding and let me reduce days with him as I needed. Now there is no way I would ever work for someone again after doing it for myself. I think you will make the money you need fairly easily by the end of spring. I had a retail background and found that customer service is a large chunk of being successful. When I started i did not realise how much my expenses would be / I roughly work now on 50% is expenses and the other half is mine

Both my trailers have the checker plate side up - I think it is more important how you stack the waste. I use bags for small stuff (buy them from Dean) and lay a tarp on the bottom for big stuff. Make sure you put the leafy end in the front and the trunk end at the back

Redeye
22-07-2012, 07:38 PM
darren, don't waste you're money on an edger, get a blower 1st

Fred's mowing
22-07-2012, 07:56 PM

what red said.
Cheers Fred.

geoff
22-07-2012, 08:17 PM
if you can get both...as a newbie a good edge with a powered edger looks pro....and cleaned up with a blower of course

geoff
22-07-2012, 08:22 PM
anyway boys good luck with new venture....never too old i am only 57 this year a reckon theres another few years yet in me......just look after the body and pace your self ..so important,touch wood very fortunate in the 24 years of doing this no body aches or knees back as yet....just think about what you are doing and don't overload the body no matter how much money is on the line....if you under quote get over it and do the job , a few more hours big deal its only time.....

lemonhead
23-07-2012, 10:00 AM
thanks chaps.......

PhilG
24-07-2012, 07:56 AM

I started with a broom....lol Not recommended though

GrowCutMow
24-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi martin,
I'm just around the corner from you in Leopold. Feel free to call if you want any local advice.
Rob

Hi, i'm just starting out in the next week or so ( a little bit scared lol ). Iv'e been thinking of doing a flyer drop with magnetic business cards but a little unsure what to put on the leaflets.

This website is great by the way, I appreciate any tips or ideas.

Martin

ma1green
24-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Hi martin,
I'm just around the corner from you in Leopold. Feel free to call if you want any local advice.
Rob
Thanks Rob, that would be great.

Well i'm about to go and drop a load of leaflets, hopefully this will bring in some business.

ma1green
25-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Well I've got my first quote to do this afternoon, I hope I don't balls it up lol. Its for a clean up for the front and rear of a rental property so its straight in with a big job.(gulp)

4 Gardens
25-07-2012, 02:31 PM
great way to start - you will learn heaps from this one Im sure.

Worst case is you work longer than originally planned - it has happened to all of us.