PDA

View Full Version : hedger or multi tool

head1956
24-07-2012, 07:42 PM
I am going to buy a hedger or multi with hedger. Can't afford both so one or the other tomorrow. I can see the benifits of the multi but to do normal hedging don't they get a bit heavy/arkward compared to a normal hedger (looking at the shindy for reliability as well as very light machine)

Fred's mowing
24-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Shindy multi tool all the way for us.
We do a lot of hedges & it gives u more versatility.
Cheers Fred.

Redeye
24-07-2012, 08:22 PM
+10000000000000000

edbeek
24-07-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't do a lot of hedges, so I got the Kombi tool first, with hedger & pole saw. Much more versatile than a dedicated hedger.

When I could afford it later, I got a base model Stihl hedger but still prefer the pole hedger except in tight spots. It seems to cut better.

HPM
24-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I bought a cheap ryobi hedger to start with which was great but since I bought a shindi multi the ryobi has been in the shed.
The m230 is so much easier to use and light weight I wish I bought it from the start.
Later I added the pole pruner and I use the whippy full time on all my regulars.

head1956
24-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback seems the multi wins will have to have another look at it tomorrow before I buy anything

m287j
24-07-2012, 10:10 PM
In my opinion it really depends on the hedges you do, if you are doing smallish hedges go the hand held. If you doing bigger and taller hedges then go the multi. You need to remember the multi is big and awkward for small hedges.
I started with an Echo handheld hedger i bought off Dean when i lived in Melbourne, i didn't buy a multi-tool till about 18 months later.

head1956
24-07-2012, 10:33 PM
There lies the problem. Hedges where we live which need attention range from lilly pilly's about 3 foot high up to photinias over 10 feet high and others in between. A couple of clients (not a lot yet) have smallish stuff which I've done before with a bunnings electric job worth about 40 bucks and a new one I've got to quote/look at tomorrow tells me she has a fair bit of hedging so both would be good Amazing what can be done with a cheap electric too cause they are so light shame about dragging around the generator though. One client has the impossible which would require a 6 metre ebay special and then some - not accessible but has been done before so I passed on this one don't know if she found someone or not

NLALM
25-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Mate what area are you in , I am in broadmeadow and can show you my set up or have a yarn if you want

HPM
25-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Mate what area are you in , I am in broadmeadow and can show you my set up or have a yarn if you want
How about some Photos?

brock05
25-07-2012, 08:53 PM
I would recommend the multi tool. I have a Stihl combi but I wish I bought Shindaiwa. Go and see Steve and Tracey at Thornton mowers they will look after you.

GardenGuy
26-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Multis are nice to get going with, but with their shorter blade, the amount of time required for the work is longer, obviously.

Also, the result is not as refined as a longer hand-held for flat-faced hedges and requires a different work strategy. Multis are also risky - if one engine fails, all the tools that mate to it are out of action. I don't consider them a prime tool, but more of a convenience tool.

As soon as you can manage it, depending on how much hedging you do, get something 20" or bigger. It is harder work and your body will complain until you're doing it regularly. After that, you will be in front both in terms of quality and reduced time to execute the work.

Using a combination of the two on larger and taller projects will give a superior result for all the necessary aesthetic and commercial factors.

Best of luck!

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Redeye
26-07-2012, 07:29 PM
I'd say 90%+ of my hedging is done with a long pole

geoff
26-07-2012, 07:32 PM
times 2 . my shindy stainless steal 30 inch is fr special clients,hate bragging how big it is;)

Fred's mowing
26-07-2012, 08:02 PM
X3, pole hedger for everything except confined areas.
Even easier to use on smaller hedges provided u have the space.
Due to articulation, no bending the back, when do heaps this means heaps!
Cheers Fred.

ASTRO
26-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Couldnt agree more fred.
Its brilliant how efficient hedging work is using pole-hedgers with great ergonomics.
At the end of the day everyones :)

HPM
26-07-2012, 09:50 PM
If your standing back from the hedge using a long multi hedger you seem to get a better result especially with fancy stuff like balls and mushroom shapes.

GardenGuy
26-07-2012, 10:11 PM
If your standing back ... you seem to get a better result especially with fancy stuff like balls ...

Hedger + cojones == scary. :D

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Mark QLD
03-08-2012, 09:12 PM
my hedges look better since iv been using a pole trimmer on my combi . i put it down to been able to work from a distance aswell. It just seems more comfitable and i like the differnt angles that can be made

South East Mowing
03-08-2012, 09:15 PM
my hedges look better since iv been using a pole trimmer on my combi . i put it down to been able to work from a distance aswell. It just seems more comfitable and i like the differnt angles that can be made

Yeah, I tend to feel more comfortable with the multi on hedging etc. Just use my hand held for the tight stuff .

Mark QLD
03-08-2012, 09:29 PM
I have an extension shaft for my stihl 130 aswell only had to use it on a few jobs. Dont like that much though as its a but wild to try and hang on too