PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - G'day my very first thread ever!

helpers
27-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Hi all,
I started Helpers Property & Garden Maintenance unoffically in 2009. I finally cut ties with my old career and have been self employed on a full time basis for just under 6 months.
Considering its winter things are progressing steadily well and next year I start studies in arboriculture and turf.

Just another day...
This week I reluctantly accepted a one off mowing job at the request of a regular customer, this was his brother's house who had gone overseas for a couple of months.
I got to the property to find the lawns "out of control" I'm talking knee high grass, front yard, back yard and behind the shed....!

I put on my hat, radio headphones, saftey vest and get started. Snipping now done, I start up the mower front done, I'm now into the back yard, I mower over a pebble, a closer inspection on the way back reveals a part of a key, I pick it up and place it on the decking (thinking the homeowner must have dropped keys here some time ago), I continue... another pebble, I now find a alloy lanyard, I think hey I have a lanyard just like this one... oh oh!

After searching for an hour I find bit and parts of my keys which now resemble a key salad, I find the black plastic part of the truck key under the shin high decking (yes took decking apart!) except for the actual metal key part.
What to do... no spare, truck locked, far from home, now getting dark, tomorrows job card full, phone in the truck, have 3 more jobs to do, neighbours either at work or elderly...!

The wrap:
After walking around the block I find a contruction site, get some wire and somehow after another hour break into my own truck (I'm now crying and laughing simultaneously)
First call: RACV then Holden for a key code - $52.00,
Call the 3rd Locksmith now, plead for the guy to come out, time now 3:50pm - $560.00. (you have got to be KIDDING!!!!!)
Locksmith agrees to come out with "no guarantee" of getting me started.
Arrives 4:50pm pulls the door trim off, takes off door lock barrel, cuts partial key by hand, cuts a full key, turns ignition barrel, then asks me for a "transponder" (this is a microchip found in the black plastic part of the truck key, size of a large grain of rice), I say its destroyed he says...oh oh.
He somehow finds a transponder in his mobile work shop, gets into the car ECU and punches in the code, turns the key and success the truck starts! time now 6:45pm.
Elated, I almost shake this guys hand off his wrist.
The locksmith says, "Mate what a day you've had", I reply "I just want to go home".

Thought I might share this story, what started out as just another day turned into a horror/comedy.
I received my new key in the mail today. I now keep my keys in a zip up pocket or in the toolbox and I swicthed from radio earmuffs to regular earmuffs.
Thanks all
Aemon

sterlo
28-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Dont think i'll ever have a bad day ever again after reading this...

Sterlo

simo
28-07-2012, 08:32 AM
So hopefully your done with your worst day ever..
Did you charge $600+ for the job :toilet claw
Mate your not the only one that`s run over there keys with the mower the only difference was the missus saved the day with spares..

hoes r us
28-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Welcome Helpers. Maybe you can create a new market for "lawnmowing comedy". You could target apartments with common lawn in the middle and everyone can watch you from their balconies haha! Hope your future days are/were better than your first ;)

Kel

South East Mowing
28-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi all,
I started Helpers Property & Garden Maintenance unoffically in 2009. I finally cut ties with my old career and have been self employed on a full time basis for just under 6 months.
Considering its winter things are progressing steadily well and next year I start studies in arboriculture and turf.

Just another day...
This week I reluctantly accepted a one off mowing job at the request of a regular customer, this was his brother's house who had gone overseas for a couple of months.
I got to the property to find the lawns "out of control" I'm talking knee high grass, front yard, back yard and behind the shed....!

I put on my hat, radio headphones, saftey vest and get started. Snipping now done, I start up the mower front done, I'm now into the back yard, I mower over a pebble, a closer inspection on the way back reveals a part of a key, I pick it up and place it on the decking (thinking the homeowner must have dropped keys here some time ago), I continue... another pebble, I now find a alloy lanyard, I think hey I have a lanyard just like this one... oh oh!

After searching for an hour I find bit and parts of my keys which now resemble a key salad, I find the black plastic part of the truck key under the shin high decking (yes took decking apart!) except for the actual metal key part.
What to do... no spare, truck locked, far from home, now getting dark, tomorrows job card full, phone in the truck, have 3 more jobs to do, neighbours either at work or elderly...!

The wrap:
After walking around the block I find a contruction site, get some wire and somehow after another hour break into my own truck (I'm now crying and laughing simultaneously)
First call: RACV then Holden for a key code - $52.00,
Call the 3rd Locksmith now, plead for the guy to come out, time now 3:50pm - $560.00. (you have got to be KIDDING!!!!!)
Locksmith agrees to come out with "no guarantee" of getting me started.
Arrives 4:50pm pulls the door trim off, takes off door lock barrel, cuts partial key by hand, cuts a full key, turns ignition barrel, then asks me for a "transponder" (this is a microchip found in the black plastic part of the truck key, size of a large grain of rice), I say its destroyed he says...oh oh.
He somehow finds a transponder in his mobile work shop, gets into the car ECU and punches in the code, turns the key and success the truck starts! time now 6:45pm.
Elated, I almost shake this guys hand off his wrist.
The locksmith says, "Mate what a day you've had", I reply "I just want to go home".

Thought I might share this story, what started out as just another day turned into a horror/comedy.
I received my new key in the mail today. I now keep my keys in a zip up pocket or in the toolbox and I swicthed from radio earmuffs to regular earmuffs.
Thanks all
Aemon

I can recall a similar incident with keys to a ford being run over a few years ago. Very funny now but at the time it went along similar lines to your day but we got out of it without new lock, etc

geoff
28-07-2012, 08:14 PM
jesus thats gotta beat when my ute ran over me:doh

courty
28-07-2012, 08:40 PM
jesus thats gotta beat when my ute ran over me:doh

no..........close but not quite;)

Chrisc
29-07-2012, 02:06 AM
Geez.
Reminds me of 6.30 pm new years eve about 10 years ago when my wife threw me the keys while fishing at Portland.
Straight down into the rocks,gone for ever.(And she blamed me for not catching her stupid throw).
Lucky i had a spare key in one of those magnetic key box things.

Stump
29-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Geez.
Reminds me of 6.30 pm new years eve about 10 years ago when my wife threw me the keys while fishing at Portland.
Straight down into the rocks,gone for ever.(And she blamed me for not catching her stupid throw).
Lucky i had a spare key in one of those magnetic key box things.

Those rocks there eat up everything. Lived, fished and enjoyed life there for 8 years in the 90s.
Still go back to holiday there and catch up with mates whenever possible.

Welcome to the forum "helpers". Good to see some more guys from the Northern Suburbs. In your area, see if you are allowed to put a flyer up in one of your Mosk's for end of Ramadam cleanups. I got swamped last year, and was not prepared for it. The Lebanese community is very loyal to the right business, and always provide heaps of leads.
I started with one member of their community, and now service around 30, just from referrals over the last 12 months.

helpers
29-07-2012, 07:45 PM
That sounds like a great idea Stump, I know some Lebanese Mosques, Thank you.

And thanks to all who have read and replied to my thread, this forum thing is not that bad on closer inspection.

"It is not the employer who pays wages - he only handles the money. It is the product that pays wages" :dean: