PDA

View Full Version : replacement for mondo

sterlo
28-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I have a rather vip customer whom i do some (alot) work for.

problem is they have heaps of mondo inside of 1000mmx 1000mm pavers (about 120mm gap between each) which is weed and grass infested .

Rather than try and weed out through the mondo, at great expense to customer i have suggested that maybe getting rid of the mondo and replacing with a nice grass, grown to about 75mm, straight edged with pavers to get a clean effect.

Is there an attractive grass that i can do this with, preferably one that accepts herbicidal weeding (ie weed and feed apps).

Property is in south east melb, any suggestions appreciated. Will post some pics after im there next to give some idea of what im talking about

Sterlo

luketud
28-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I had a customer that use to have a little bali sort of garden and they put down this Japanise grass that was sorta like buffalo but was a bluey green color i forget the name of it but it use to grow real slow i would only cut it about once every 3-4 months. It was the same grass they layed in the medium strip of the m7 in Sydney if that helps

sterlo
28-08-2012, 09:24 PM
I had a customer that use to have a little bali sort of garden and they put down this Japanise grass that was sorta like buffalo but was a bluey green color i forget the name of it but it use to grow real slow i would only cut it about once every 3-4 months. It was the same grass they layed in the medium strip of the m7 in Sydney if that helps
Reckon thats what i had in mind when i suggested to them about getting rid of the mondo, thanks....Name it anyone?

Sterlo

PaulG
28-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Sounds like Dwarf Blue Fescue (Festuca glauca)

http://www.plantinspirations.com.au/plants.php?id=ID1208327139&l=Blue%20fescue%20grass%20Festuca%20Glauca%20x%202 0%20plants

Mondo can be sprayed with a weaker then normal glypho mix. Have you tried a spot spray to test?

ian
28-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Sounds like Dwarf Blue Fescue (Festuca glauca)

http://www.plantinspirations.com.au/plants.php?id=ID1208327139&l=Blue%20fescue%20grass%20Festuca%20Glauca%20x%202 0%20plants

Mondo can be sprayed with a weaker then normal glypho mix. Have you tried a spot spray to test?

i think up to 10ml/lt and you should be ok just make sure you don't add anything to the glypho ie: oil or detergent Mondo is a member of the lily family not a "grass" so the combination of slender stems and a waxy type coating on the leaf help prevent it taking up the glypho in a large enough dose to kill it but spot spray 1st

Kathryn
29-08-2012, 06:39 AM
some of the liriopes are pretty short and look a bit like overgrown mondo

sterlo
29-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the ideas.
I haven't tried to spray as there is an area that is now rather **** looking after someone had a crack with some spray.
Having said that, if we're considering removing it all together, a little trial and error wouldn't do any harm i guess.
does any one think a mix of glypho (360g/l) at 5ml per litre would be sufficient to kill any unwanted species while not killing the mondo? or am i being a little conservative?

Sterlo

Fred's mowing
29-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Dwarf Mondo???
Cheers Fred.