PDA

View Full Version : Speed

lemonhead
04-09-2012, 07:54 AM
just wondering how many jobs you guys get through in a day?....Do you aim for a certain amount per day?and how fast does it take you to do a normal suburban block,run of the mill garden,as in whip,mow,blow?.........as a newbie i was hoping to do 4 per day...is this unrealistic or underachieving?....thanks daz

Classic Cut
04-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Darren with a full client list of 120+ I get through 5 every 2hours when working two up and 3 when working by myself. You will need a tight run with less travel time to do it though.

Decide how many hours you want to work and do the maths. Long term operators can punch out 20+ jobs a day 2up consistently when required. Your limitations will be your number of clients, but 4 should be achieved in 3 hours as a guide when first starting, aim for more I would say.

Stump
04-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Yes, if your run is compact you should do at least one an hour, travel time included.

PaulG
04-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Show me a picture of a "normal suburban block"!

1/4 acre blocks here with lots of gardens and paths to edge around I'm lucky to do in 1.25 to 1.5 hours and I don't dawdle.

luketud
04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Its hard to say how many you get though a day, I always worked to how much turnover a day you wanted such as $1 a minute or $500 a day.

Like PaulG said, How big a block are we talking everywhere has different sizes. I use to do some that would take 2 1/2hr pushing.

But 4 a day prob a little low I'm just starting back up in a new area and i would would be happy with around 6-7 a day would be on the money for me as i still want to take the kids to school and pick them up.

m287j
04-09-2012, 09:41 AM
I work on the theory quality not quantity, if you take care of the quality the $$$ will take of themselves.
Once established i figure a 1 man garden maintenance business should aim for $300 a day, which is $1,500 a week or $75,000 a year.

PaulG
04-09-2012, 10:42 AM
If anyone is push mowing big blocks you have to be charging the right money. Not a lot of customers want to pay what it's worth and with those you just have to walk away from them. Not worth doing a full hours mowing for $50 unless you really need the work because with travel, unpacking, repacking trailer etc, 1 hour can quickly turn into 1.5 hours and if you are only working school hours like many of us do some days then you will only achieve 4 lawns in a day.

This growing season here I'm really only going to be focussing on a few neighbourhoods in town for mowing to condense my run and save fuel, time and ultimately, money. I'll still take on larger pruning jobs wherever they are as you tend to spend longer in one spot and for me pruning makes more in a day than mowing.

Blaktop
04-09-2012, 06:01 PM
It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question really. My lawns range from 20 minutes to 2 hours. On average I knock over 8 a day......10 if they're small, 5-6 if they're big. But at the end of the day I make pretty much the same money as they're all priced accordingly.

Kathryn
04-09-2012, 06:13 PM
i think 7 is my record in a day. most blocks here are 1/4 acre. but i try to earn atleast $200 a day. dont stress if you hear guys quoting big numbers. they might be smaller blocks, work in crews, have self propelled or ride ons. you'll get faster over time. not just in the actual mowing but with all the other little tricks that can cut down time. doing a good job is the most important thing if you want to keep your customers

Jayk
04-09-2012, 06:45 PM
For me it is dollar's made per day. i aim for $500-$600 by myself, or $800+ with 2 of us. As soon as you can afford it i would buy a sp mower, backpack blower, and maybe in the future a ride on ( and quote the job as if you have a push mower and normal blower). at the moment you will just be slow until you get the hang of things. in a cpl of months you will be alot quicker and make alot more, so hang in there mate!

Stump
04-09-2012, 06:56 PM
The guy is in Melbourne. Block size average around 600 sq mtrs or less. You should finish most within 45 minutes or less. I have some front and backs that take 20 minutes. The smaller they are, the more profitable they are for me.

geoff
04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
For me it is dollar's made per day. i aim for $500-$600 by myself, or $800+ with 2 of us. As soon as you can afford it i would buy a sp mower, backpack blower, and maybe in the future a ride on ( and quote the job as if you have a push mower and normal blower). at the moment you will just be slow until you get the hang of things. in a cpl of months you will be alot quicker and make alot more, so hang in there mate!
thats a good number we get in Melbourne $600 for a single operator( cant get the before lunch and surfer yet but sometimes go way over that lol ) but as newbie go quality at first till you get up to speed ...no good doing 10 lawns that are crap jobs...develop quality first and speed will come eventuality ......

sterlo
04-09-2012, 07:50 PM
just work on your per hour figure, and get whatever u can mate...

Sterlo

imoww
04-09-2012, 07:58 PM
My god. Some of you guys must charge a heap.
In sydney allot of customers wont pay any more than $50 per hr.
As for doing up to 20+ lawns a day?????? Making $500-600 per day??? What are you? Superman?
Do you guys include whipper snipping trimming edging as well???

sterlo
04-09-2012, 08:01 PM
My god. Some of you guys must charge a heap.
In sydney allot of customers wont pay any more than $50 per hr.
As for doing up to 20+ lawns a day?????? Making $500-600 per day??? What are you? Superman?
Do you guys include whipper snipping trimming edging as well???

I dont quote by the hour, i quote how long it takes to push mow, edge properly and leave the property in a clean and tidy condition, times this by $1 per minute and you've just been quoted...

Sometimes you can do 15, and sometimes only 8 a day, sometime you can do 25...but every hour of work is $1 per minute..

Sterlo

geoff
04-09-2012, 08:07 PM
60 bucks an hour sterlo ..many are getting much more than that

geoff
04-09-2012, 08:10 PM
this industry needs to lift its game on prices.....too many are charging way too cheap.......its hard work get what you deserve

sterlo
04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
60 bucks an hour sterlo ..many are getting much more than that

Just an example Geoff, some guys don't realise what they can get...Currently im getting over $60 per hour and that includes travel between jobs so i cant complain...I still quote rates at push mow times but the husky rider pushes the hourly rate beyond $100 p/h most resi yards, it also helps that i dont travel...

Sterlo

geoff
04-09-2012, 08:16 PM
thats good sterlo. i just get miffed when people spend 15k plus for riders and only charge 60 to 80 bucks an hour when some gardeners get so much more for pruning and general gardening because of their knowledge .

sterlo
04-09-2012, 08:22 PM
thats good sterlo. i just get miffed when people spend 15k plus for riders and only charge 60 to 80 bucks an hour when some gardeners get so much more for pruning and general gardening because of their knowledge .

Even better when the riders are less than $7K.....

Sterlo

imoww
04-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Must be different in VIC. Here in Sydney, You would be pushing it to get more than $50 per hr for a resi lawn.

Blaktop
04-09-2012, 09:34 PM
but i try to earn at least $200 a day

I'm with you Kathryn, $200-$300 a day, sometimes a little more in the busy season. People up here won't pay the money. I've quoted on a few jobs recently (due to the previous guys being unreliable).....some of the prices these people have been paying are pretty low.....we have a few beer money Bob's around. I work on $50 an hour. Any more and I won't get the work.

imoww
04-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Im the same as you and Katherine Blaktop.
Between $200-$300 a day. based on $50 an hour.
Im trying to raise the price but when i do, i lose the job.
We do have a few beer bobs too.

I'm with you Kathryn, $200-$300 a day, sometimes a little more in the busy season. People up here won't pay the money. I've quoted on a few jobs recently (due to the previous guys being unreliable).....some of the prices these people have been paying are pretty low.....we have a few beer money Bob's around. I work on $50 an hour. Any more and I won't get the work.

ian
04-09-2012, 09:44 PM
4 per day is low i would expect to get through a $60-$70 Lysterfield lawn in under an hour but speed with quality comes with experience :)

imoww
04-09-2012, 09:46 PM
By the way. What does everyone charge per hour?
Sounds like it's different for all states?
NSW Syd is roughly $50 per hr.

Fred's mowing
04-09-2012, 10:25 PM

Take it to the garden.:rolleyes:
Cheers Fred.

luketud
04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
From what I've been finding out up here is only around $40 per hr which is lower then what I'm use to. At least there's great weather and beaches so i guess that makes up the other $20 per hr

Thats lawns dont do gardens there the devil now

simo
05-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Isn`t it funny that the original question was how many lawns do you do per day, now its how much do you make per day..
I mow around 4-8 in winter months and 8-12 summer months
Just mow as many as you can handle to make $$ and pay the bills and enjoy it..:cool: :cool: :cool:

ian
05-09-2012, 08:19 AM
with lawnmowing i aim for $1000 per day on my own. admittedly i haven't even come close yet but i aim high

Kathryn
05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
with lawnmowing i aim for $1000 per day on my own. admittedly i haven't even come close yet but i aim high

thats classic ian:laughing: do you aim to go surfing in the afternoons too?

Stump
05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
I would like to do over 20 this Spring when daylight savings kicks in. Am looking at a fresh sidekick to start at say 4pm. The phone is starting to run red hot already. Gunna be a great Spring this year in Melb.

imoww
05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Hey stump, what advertising are you doing go have the ringing
red hot?

South East Mowing
05-09-2012, 09:34 PM

:frightene$35-40 is my average. Seem to pick up 9 outa 10 quotes anywhere I go:dance

geoff
05-09-2012, 09:38 PM
you serious johnny or ya sh1t stirring again ,waiting for a bite hehehehe

geoff
05-09-2012, 09:40 PM
thats a lot more than they are charging around here

Stump
06-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Hey stump, what advertising are you doing go have the ringing
red hot?
Mainly Flyers,Gumtree, and lead provider. Doing around 3 quotes a day for the past 2 weeks and getting at least 5 calls a day. Its about all I can handle ontop of my regs with only one truck on the road.

imoww
06-09-2012, 05:53 AM
That kind if advdetising will do it....
Flooding the market.
Is gumtree any good?
I had to stop advertising. Cant even keep up with the
Amount of jobs now.

Mainly Flyers,Gumtree, and lead provider. Doing around 3 quotes a day for the past 2 weeks and getting at least 5 calls a day. Its about all I can handle ontop of my regs with only one truck on the road.

ian
06-09-2012, 09:16 AM
you serious johnny or ya sh1t stirring again ,waiting for a bite hehehehe

i think he's serious i've heard he does a great job so that's why he can charge so much :)

bb1
06-09-2012, 09:24 AM
just wondering how many jobs you guys get through in a day?....Do you aim for a certain amount per day?and how fast does it take you to do a normal suburban block,run of the mill garden,as in whip,mow,blow?.........as a newbie i was hoping to do 4 per day...is this unrealistic or underachieving?....thanks daz

Dont worry about numbers, its quality of the dollars you bring in at the end of the day. I have done one lawn which took me a full day (normally 4 hours on ride on), but needed to be triple cut in some places because the owner had let it get away. And on a regular basis I currently do 55 in a day with 3 park areas included, but the 55 are all postage stamp size lawns in a body corporate.
So dont get to concerned about numbers, every job is different, I have 2 blocks next to each other, both are the same size, one takes under and hour the other nearly 2, but dollar wise I do as well out of each as I quoted based on the time to complete, not the size of the block.

cadase
06-09-2012, 09:46 AM
A bit like asking a prostitute "hows your *** life"
1...........6 lawns @ $50= $300 a day
2...........12 lawns @ $25 =$300 a day

1... you'll get home earlier, and spend less on fuel
2... you'll spend more on fuel, get home a little later(but you'll have more chances for add on work)

Valley Lawnmowing
06-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Saw an Ad on Gumtree the other day that said Lawns done for free,Just for the pleasure of riding my new mower and to smell the fresh cut grass.If they were closer to where i am i would have them do my lawn while i had several cold ones lol.

NLALM
06-09-2012, 02:33 PM
A bit like asking a prostitute "hows your *** life"
1...........6 lawns @ $50= $300 a day
2...........12 lawns @ $25 =$300 a day

1... you'll get home earlier, and spend less on fuel
2... you'll spend more on fuel, get home a little later(but you'll have more chances for add on work)

Wouldn't you hate to be number 12 with the pro for the day , be like stirring a can of paint, although she would be making heaps more than us so she probably pulled the pin at 5 or 6, nothing worse than going home totally shagged at the end of the day